Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 6014 receiver heat issue

ORIGINAL: xcellheli

Take the case off the receiver and wrap it in a coffee filter. It is white, will let air pass and would filter the dirt. It is also easy and cheap to change.
Excellent suggestion but it won't go. Easier to complain than to do something about it.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:51 PM
SManMTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

ORIGINAL: xcellheli

Take the case off the receiver and wrap it in a coffee filter. It is white, will let air pass and would filter the dirt. It is also easy and cheap to change.
Excellent suggestion but it won't go. Easier to complain than to do something about it.

Nice going, stick with your buddies. What's wrong with pointing out flaws? Are you still afraid? Accepting missing info you have the right to know about? Sure go ahead.

Taking out the PCB from the case and wrap it in a coffee filter. Sounds good doesn't it. Voiding the warranty is a good idea.
It might work but wrapping it in paper is actually not such a great idea. Having it wrapped up in paper inside a black box won't make much of a difference. Holes needs to be made in the radio box but doing that will let it spill over fuel inside the box (yeah, cars are messy) and voila, it gets sucked up by the paper.

Easier to think in one step than three is it Mr Dick.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of whining about limitations, we are offering solutions. A lot more than what you have offered up so far.

I believe the suggestion was to remove the plastic radio case on your car and wrap the filter around the receiver. Might be worth a shot.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:45 AM
SManMTB

Exposing the limitations and making them public knowledge is pretty interesting too isn't? That way the design might be improved and the McGuyver style hack jobs aren't necessary to make things work as they are supposed to.
If you think it's whining to say that a temp spec should be present in manuals and on websites then you're a lost cause too. We could still be driving around in exploding Pintos if it wasn't for complaints LOL.
Seriously.

Can't really remove the radio case as it is part of the mounting for the servos. Drilling holes in the radio box is the only viable option. Not really great but it will do in a pinch.

As for Mr Dick, well he missed the point totally too.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 AM
Tinman!

I for one couldn't care less, in this thread, about toy cars. A quick post to let us know there might be an issue would have been fine. But to arguepost after postwith essentially the same thing is tiring and not productive.

Back on topic, I was flying on Monday and accidentally got into talking while the canopy was off of my 35% Extra. It was only 104 F out but the canopyand hence the FASST receiverwas exposed to direct sunlight for 35 minutes. I used my IR meter to check the temp of the receiver and it was 134 F. Turned it on and no issues. Left it onwith receiver exposedfor another 8 minutes. Receiver (reading the outside case) was at 138 F and still no issues. Left receiver on, placed canopy on plane, waited another 5 minutes, and temp was 128 F. No issues.

Seems to me below 160 F should not be a problem, with mere common-sense precautions for heat. If anyone is having problems above that 160 I'd say they need to do something about heat, as even if FASST is OK that is dangerously high heat for all electrical components.

If you have a receiver that locks out below 160 F then it's obviously not performing to spec and needs to be returned.

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 09:26 AM
SManMTB

Oh sorry, this is the toy airplane forum which seems to be way more interesting and important.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: SManMTB
I'm an EE myself and have to design equipment to work at certain conditions.
Now after the real safe temp range was posted by the dude above (-10c to +50c) it makes perfect sense that it failed.
If I had known I should have got something else.
-10c to +50c is a very standard temp range and covers what comercial grade components are rated for.
[/quote]

You state your qualifications as an EE then complain that the specs weren't written out for you? I think perhaps you are the one with the bias and agenda.
[/quote]
And yes. model airplanes are much more interesting. As for cars, I do full scale.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

SManMTB,

Last I checked Futaba has agreed that they have an issue and offered suggestions to minimize the chances of failure. I doubt Futaba wanted to give you a bad experience by hidding specifications. Time to chill out and find a solution that will fix your problem and allow you to enjoy your new radio.

How about drilling a hole in the front and back of your radio box and mounting a couple of plastic or silicone tubes. The front tube could run from the radio box to the front of the car to allow air in and the back tube could run to the back of the car from the radio box to exit the air. A fine mesh screen on both hoses would keep virtually all the dirt out. It would be almost impossible for gas that is spilled to make it's way in.

Take a few minutes and brainstorm, there has got to be a solution.

I also run cars and fly planes and I will say the car is much more of a toy then the planes. I can hand my car transmitter to my five year old with minimal worries on the car, but the plane is a different't animal. I am not bashing the cars, just stating a fact. They are both fun.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:56 PM
SManMTB

Thx.

Btw, try racing competitively on a track.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I'm an EE myself and have to design equipment to work at certain conditions.
Now after the real safe temp range was posted by the dude above (-10c to +50c) it makes perfect sense that it failed.
If I had known I should have got something else.
-10c to +50c is a very standard temp range and covers what comercial grade components are rated for.

You state your qualifications as an EE then complain that the specs weren't written out for you? I think perhaps you are the one with the bias and agenda.

And yes. model airplanes are much more interesting. As for cars, I do full scale.
Don't know what you mean by agenda. Getting fair info from the manufacturer is not too much to ask.
I'm more surprised that consumers don't demand more and just sit back and takes crap.

Over and out.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
xcellheli

SmanMTB,

I agree track racing seperates the men from the boys, I raced 1/10 onroad for one season, however the pucker factor when flying a plane is much higher then with cars. Much more money is at stake and the time to build them is much longer. I also fly heli's and they make the planes feel like toys. I have dents in my thumbs from the sticks when 3Ding a heli. Once again they are all fun, but there is a difference. That being said the radio forum is for all. Lets keep the knowledge flowing and the bickering to a minimum.

Once again I hope you find a solution and good luck on your racing.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:06 PM
SManMTB

For sure planes are more expensive and time consuming, that's why I stay on the ground.

Peace
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
mr502go

On the sticker issue. . . I ride motocross, and I'm pretty sure you can find something to stay stuck to the radio box that is white in color. You don't get much more dirt than in MX and woods riding. As far as oil is concerned. . . I've seen stickers stay on perfectly well (and very hidden) under 2-stroke oil emitted from the exhaust. Just prep your plastic right, and it will stick.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Tinman!

Oh sorry, this is the toy airplane forum which seems to be way more interesting and important.
No. My point, although prolly badly stated, was that I wasn't much interested in cars in a thread centered around planes (ergo, the 6014).

To me, flying giant scale, losing a plane is much more dangerous than having a lockout in a car.

And I was into cars. But as has been stated already there is a world of difference between a car on the ground and having thousands of dollars in a plane that is in the air. Not to mention what that plane can do to people and property.

Mike
Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
SManMTB

It's a thread about radio equipment and what right or wrong with it.

Since your planes are so expensive and can cause so much damage wouldn't you think it would be a great idea to be able to easily see under what conditions your radio equipment will work without having to go through hoops to find the info? Like looking in a manual for a radio other than your own?

That was my point here really.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Tinman!

It's a thread about radio equipment and what right or wrong with it.

Since your planes are so expensive and can cause so much damage wouldn't you think it would be a great idea to be able to easily see under what conditions your radio equipment will work without having to go through hoops to find the info? Like looking in a manual for a radio other than your own?

That was my point here really.
I'm not going to debate that a thread about 6014 FASST receivers is about cars. <shrug>

Your point was made right away. It was the later posts that became tiring, as others attempted to help you.

As for my "expensive" planes' radios working or not; they are. They all have FASST receivers. And I guarantee I am in a hotter environment than you, and I fly extensively.

As for your issue, I have yet to see you post specific temperature readings. I've already stated that if the receiver fails below 160 F, it's not performing to spec. Replace it. If you have tested the temp, and it's above 160 F, you are running too hot and asking for trouble, whether it be FASST or some other component.

The sky is not falling.

Mike

Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look guys.........Futaba has stepped up to the plate and explained how we are to install the 6014, and has stated in black and white letters that we are not to fly if the temp is 50C(122F).............so there you have it, there is no problem whatsoever............so what are we talking about?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 PM
SManMTB

I'm not going to debate that a thread about 6014 FASST receivers is about cars.
Nobody has ever stated or argued that it is.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Look guys.........Futaba has stepped up to the plate and explained how we are to install the 6014, and has stated in black and white letters that we are not to fly if the temp is 50C(122F).............so there you have it, there is no problem whatsoever............so what are we talking about?

Yay!! A clear answer, wooohoo!
Now if Futaba put that in writing threads like this would never exist.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It is in writing in the 10C manual which is the latest FASST system released by Futaba. The other system manuals were printed long before specs needed to be made available to pacify Chicken Little.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 AM
summerwind

It is in writing in the 10C manual which is the latest FASST system released by Futaba. The other system manuals were printed long before specs needed to be made available to pacify Chicken Little.
well said Dick........it's not Futaba's fault that some of their customers can't read eh?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 AM
SManMTB

ORIGINAL: summerwind

well said Dick........it's not Futaba's fault that some of their customers can't read eh?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Dick T - you're a piece of work really. Resort to personal attacks in order to satisfy your ego. Dumber than a rock. Are you paid by Futaba to post here. Do you really think they put specs in the 10C manual to pacify Chicken Little.... shesh.

summerwind - you're not far off either. How can you possibly read something that's not printed. Ohhhh you meant the 10C manual..... really, well I have a 3PKS and nowhere does it say I have to download the 10C manual to see the numbers. Can't read what's not there.

It's great that they put in the specs and it's easy to put it on the website too. Hey, why not put a small addendum to the manuals where they are downloaded!? Of course Dick T doesn't need those because he's only flying planes and that's all that matters. Any other system besides his doesn't matter.

Over and out.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM
xcellheli

SManMTB,
I think the point is your manual was written before Futaba knew they had a problem. It is not in your manual and there is no way of you knowing there was a heat spec before buying it. I would argue even if it was in the manual you most likely would not have known you had a problem since I doubt you have taken temp data of the radio box on your car before. Everyone agrees that you unfortunately got hit by this specification. Many have offered advice toward a solution. We all know how you feel about Futaba, now get over it. It sucks, but life goes on. If you fix your issue, post your solution. Otherwise just drop the complaining. It is not constructive.

This thread has reached the point of being worthless.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM
summerwind

SMan,

my remark wasn't intended directly at you........so far i have assumed you can read, but others who have made issues are not wanting to accept Futaba's current remedy, which in all honesty i think is fine as people who mount Rx's in adverse posistions on their planes REALLY are asking for trouble.
my tests have revealed no issues within the specs that Futaba has posted with my 608 and 6014 Rx's..................my 606 Rx's which i consider expendable have been subjected to tests of well over 140 degrees and they have not shut down.
there are literally thousands of the 3channel Rx's in the field and not one incident as been posted.......maybe you have a defective unit.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
SManMTB

There have been several cases of 3Ch Rx having issues. Futaba is just reluctant to accept it.

Several Rx had problems at the 1/8 scale Euros this year. It has been mentioned to Futaba but they just dimisses it as rumours and speculations. That's really frustrating.
There are more cases.

I'm sorry but I thought it was directed at me because Mr Dick's post was obviously for me and you just agreed. If it wasn't we're cool.

As for a fix, yes I have a pretty good idea what to do so that's not what I'm asking. Letting Futaba know about issues or missing specs is the point here. Posting in the Futaba support forum is pointless as posts are deleted on a regular basis.
Arguing with dead beats like Mr Dick is counter productive as people like that obviously are on the manufacturers side. On top of that the condesending tone is childish. Putting up a wall of "We do..., we offer....., get over it, learn to read..., Chicken Little....". Seriously.

Carry on and good luck flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.