Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

New "How to" Video
<hr size="1" style="background-color: #a7a7a7; color: #a7a7a7" />
Finless Bob's latest present to Aurora Owners = The remainder of the
Aurora 9ch - Video - Helicopter Set Up - Finless Bob's Review Tips and how To - Series

Whilst made for the Heli flyers, many of the features also apply to Acro & Gliders - well worth watching.

25. Model Menus Part 8A - Swash Menu Basics (32 Megs)
. Covering the basic swash menu
26. Model Menus Part 8B - Swash Calibration Menu (150 Megs)
. Covering the Swash Calibration menu
27. Model Menus Part 9 - Revo Mix, Servo speed, Swash>Throttle,
and Rudder>Throttle (61 Megs)
28. Governors 101
. "OK for the governor menu I thought as part of this I would do a new 101 learning video. This would help understand the gov menu for just about any radio as well as how governors work. "
29. Model Menus Part 10 - Governor Menu (66 Megs)
30. Model Menus Part 11 - P. Mixes (33 Megs)
. 8 P-Mixes of which 1<5 are Linear Mixes and 6<8 are Non Linear Mixes. Differences and set up.
31. Model Menus Part 12 - Needle and Mixture Menus (76 Megs)
32. Model Menus Part 13 - Throttle Lock (26 Megs)
. Includes revision of Custom Menu and Adjust Menu (which appears only when sliders and knobs enabled).

"Thats it folks! I hope you enjoyed the series. Let me know if there is something you want me to cover in more detail and also expect a build video using this radio to come!
Enjoy, Bob"

A complete index of each video (PDF) is attached to this post.

Aurora A9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fc90445.pdf (62.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 AM
A.T.

Aurora V1.08 update, includes comparison of new expo curves:

Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.08 due late Jan11 - preview with many screen shots of the new displays.

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 AM
boothg-3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike Mayberry , i have a question about scan versus normal
if i go to an event that is congested
can i just switch on the A9,s TX and switch it to scan mode to find the cleanest
channels and then switch back to normal or does it require an RX to be on at the same time
i have not experimented with scan mode due to not wanting to rebind receivers thanks for any info
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 AM
CAT POwer
My Feedback: (61)

If you go into scan mode you have to bind the receiver in scan mode, that rebind in normal mode... rebind all receivers is a must...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM
boothg-3

thats why i havent tried scan mode i just want to know if the tx will scan available channels and retain them when switched back to normal mode
i have zero desire to rebind all of the rx,s
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: boothg-3

thats why i havent tried scan mode i just want to know if the tx will scan available channels and retain them when switched back to normal mode
1. Yes, The TX will scan all available channels and will retain those newly selected channels when switched back to normal mode.

2. But, after switching to the newly found channels and back to normal mode, you will have to re-bind all previously bound receivers.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Ed_Brazil

Hi Mike,

I'm using this radio for 6 months and it is the best that I had... and with new firmware versions it's keep getting better.

But, I'm trying to use the telemetry in a 33% airplane (H9 SU 26MM) and I'm having some problems.

Because all the wires from the sensors (RPM and TEMP) are too short I had to install the sensor station at the motor box. I think the problem is the distance from the sensor station to the receiver is more than 40in and the data signal does not reach the receiver. Is this a real problem or any solution for this? Is there any specs for the wires and connections?

Tks 
Ed from Brazil
Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM
boothg-3

bgw45

thanks for the reply , i was afraid of that
i was hoping to use scan mode to find clean channels
but if it means losing bind with all the rx,s already bound it is no good for me to use
Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: bgw45

1. Yes, The TX will scan all available channels and will retain those newly selected channels when switched back to normal mode.

2. But, after switching to the newly found channels and back to normal mode, you will have to re-bind all previously bound receivers.
Hello everyone,
Can anyone help me understand better.
The two previous postings above are telling me I have something to learn.

I thought there was 80 channels on the 2.4 Ghz band that were available for our transmitters.
Is that correct ?

The TX will scan all available channels ___
How does the TX know ahead of time which channels are available so it does not scan those not available ?

will retain those newly selected channels
How does it select channels and not others ?
How many channels does it select ?

you will have to re-bind all previously bound receivers.
If it is necessary to re-bind . . . what caused the un-binding ?
Since each transmitter has a unique code I have to assume that the same code will go back in the receiver. In fact in all the receivers.Correct or not correct ?

Is this scanning mode available only to this transmitter type ?
I do not see a scan mode on the DX7.

Thanks for any help

Zor
Old 01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
JIMF14D

The TX decides what channels are available by looking across the total channel spectrum and deciding which channels have the best interferance situation. I think all of the 2.4 radios do some scan process but each is different and of course each manufacture claims to be the best. Specktrum DX scans at turn on and picks the two "cleanest" channels as Iunderstand it.

This link will take you to a website that has some pretty good videos of Hitec TX RF on an analyzer and you can get a feeling of the differences between Scan and Normal. Also lots of tests and info on other brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIhbNLC0yg

Other than initially making sure that it functioned I have never used scan mode on my A9 as normal seems to do fine at my field. Going back and forth between modes is to be avoided since you have to rebind everything and if you have more than one or two models that can get real boring fast!

Jim D.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Zor
Banned

Thanks Jim,

Can someone else help with the other questions ?

Thanks,

Zor
Old 01-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Zor
Banned

I looked at both videos in the link put up by Jim

a_ It does not answer my questions.

b_ the guy is limited to 10 minutes so he has two videos.
He talks so fast (because of his time limit) that more than half is not understandible.

I watched both videos twice and gave up.

I am still hoping some kind gentleman will reply to me.

Zor
Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
g_mkoch

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: bgw45

Hello everyone,
Can anyone help me understand better.
The two previous postings above are telling me I have something to learn.

I thought there was 80 channels on the 2.4 Ghz band that were available for our transmitters.
Is that correct ?

The TX will scan all available channels ___
How does the TX know ahead of time which channels are available so it does not scan those not available ?

will retain those newly selected channels
How does it select channels and not others ?
How many channels does it select ?

you will have to re-bind all previously bound receivers.
If it is necessary to re-bind . . . what caused the un-binding ?
Since each transmitter has a unique code I have to assume that the same code will go back in the receiver. In fact in all the receivers.Correct or not correct ?

Is this scanning mode available only to this transmitter type ?
I do not see a scan mode on the DX7.

Thanks for any help

Zor
Yes there are 80 channels on the 2.4ghz band. When you are in normal modeand you bind to the receiver the A9 will scan the entire 2.4ghz band and chose 20 channels that are free and operate on those 20 channels from now on; now, the binding usually occurs at you home or workshop where there may be few other stuff using 2.4ghz. When you are inScanmode every time you turn the radioon, the A9 will scan the entire band and select 20 free channels. The receivers have to know in what mode the radio is and every time you change modes you have to re-bind all receivers.
The scanning mode-normal mode only belongs to the Hitec A9, DX7 will scan the entire band and choose 2 free channels and stay on those channels until turned off.

Hope this helps
Happy Landings

Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
boothg-3

g_mkoch

thanks for the info , as stated earlier i have not switched from one to the other due to binding
i plan on going to the joe nall this year hench my questions
if i set the tx to scan and rebind all receivers will they stay in scan mode or do the settings return to default when powered down
Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Zor
Banned

g mkoch,

I join boothg-3 in thanking you for the information.

This kind of knwledge is not easy to find. Glad you were here.

Zor
Old 01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
JIMF14D

It stays in the mode you select.

One word of caution. In scan mode, if you turn off the TX, the system will not reconnect. I know this is a low probability action, but if you are futzing on the flight bench or ground with a good size glo/w/gas model and you do not have fail safe set to idle things could get exciting if you accidently shut off the TX. In flight it could get even more exciting and expensive. See the manual. Ithink the explaination is around page 16 or so on mode setting.

Jim D
Old 01-23-2011, 03:45 PM
A.T.

New "How to" Video
<hr size="1" style="background-color: #a7a7a7; color: #a7a7a7" />
Aurora 9ch - Video - Helicopter Set Up - Finless Bob's Review Tips and how To - Series

Despite Bob's comments quoted post #69, Bob has added three more video 23Jan11:

33. Switched Inverted Part 1 - Intro, What is it? (43 Megs)

34. Switched Inverted Part 2 - Old School curves and Reversing Pitch (72 Megs)

35. Switched Inverted Part 3 - How to reverse Elevator and Rudder (88 Megs)

Updated complete index of each video (PDF)

includes:
AFHSS - Normal & Scan Modes Explained includes Redundant (Dual) Receivers.
AFHSS - How To Select Optimum Channels - For Your Field
AFHSS - ID-Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Testing Spectra Pro Module <> Optima Receiver.
AFHSS - Aurora, Spectra Pro & Optima - Fail-Safe Settings
AFHSS - Power Down - Range Check Procedure for Normal Mode & Scan Mode at 1mw- tested to at least 1/4 mile.
AFHSS - Warning Beeps Aurora & Spectra Pro.

Alan T.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:38 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Aurora 9 flight conditions firmware bug!

Has anyone ever setup multiple flight conditions on the Aurora 9? I am very disappointed and embarassed after recommended the Aurora 9 to a good friend. Well, he ended up crashing his 40% Extra 330. It was mostly his fault for maiden his high prize Extra after encountering bugs on the Aurora. Here was what happened...

I updated my friend's Aurora 9 and Optima 9 to the latest firmware on the website. My friend took the radio an Rx home to installed on his 40% Extra. At the field, he decided to add 2 more flight conditions. We added the flight conditions but could NOT get the D/R and Expo settings to stick. We set D/R and Expo for Normal condition. When we go to the second condition, we set different D/R and Expo. We went back to Normal, all the numbers changed to some random numbers, WHY????

In one instant, in the second flight condition, we cannot set negative expo; only positive expo, WHY?
We hit the RESET button on the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight condition, then we can set the negative expo, WHY???

After hitting the RESET button, we went back to the ohter 2 flight conditions, we lost all of our settings, all D/R went back to 100% and expo to 0%, WHY???

It does not matter what we did, we could not set different D/R and Expo for each flight condition and make the last settings stick when we went to set new settings for the other conditions. I was really pissed off when it did not allow me to set negative expo in condition 2 and 3. Hitting RESET the last time on the D/R/Expo screen caused the right aileron to go from REVERESE back to NORMAL.

We were so tired fighting the radio so we set the flight mode switch to NORMAL and went to fly. We did not delete the other 2 flight condtions. We didn't know that the last time we hit the RESET button in the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight mode caused the ailerons to go in the same direction. Guess what happen when we took off and make a turn???
a $4000 airplane went into the ground full throttle at about 50ft from the ground.

I told my friend not fly until I find the reasons for all these weird behavior on the radio. But he decided to fly anyway after having to drive 40 miles to get to the field.

I can't believe no one ever caught this error!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

I am excited to say I purchased an Aurora 9 today and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! I have been resistant to move to 2.4, and finally found a system I am looking forward to use!!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: LQUAN Aurora 9 flight conditions firmware bug!
Has anyone ever setup multiple flight conditions on the Aurora 9? I am very disappointed and embarassed after recommended the Aurora 9 to a good friend. Well, he ended up crashing his 40% Extra 330. It was mostly his fault for maiden his high prize Extra after encountering bugs on the Aurora. Here was what happened...I updated my friend's Aurora 9 and Optima 9 to the latest firmware on the website. My friend took the radio an Rx home to installed on his 40% Extra. At the field, he decided to add 2 more flight conditions. We added the flight conditions but could NOT get the D/R and Expo settings to stick. We set D/R and Expo for Normal condition. When we go to the second condition, we set different D/R and Expo. We went back to Normal, all the numbers changed to some random numbers, WHY???? In one instant, in the second flight condition, we cannot set negative expo; only positive expo, WHY? We hit the RESET button on the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight condition, then we can set the negative expo, WHY???
After hitting the RESET button, we went back to the ohter 2 flight conditions, we lost all of our settings, all D/R went back to 100% and expo to 0%, WHY??? It does not matter what we did, we could not set different D/R and Expo for each flight condition and make the last settings stick when we went to set new settings for the other conditions. I was really pissed off when it did not allow me to set negative expo in condition 2 and 3. Hitting RESET the last time on the D/R/Expo screen caused the right aileron to go from REVERESE back to NORMAL.
We were so tired fighting the radio so we set the flight mode switch to NORMAL and went to fly. We did not delete the other 2 flight condtions. We didn't know that the last time we hit the RESET button in the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight mode caused the ailerons to go in the same direction. Guess what happen when we took off and make a turn??? a $4000 airplane went into the ground full throttle at about 50ft from the ground.
I told my friend not fly until I find the reasons for all these weird behavior on the radio. But he decided to fly anyway after having to drive 40 miles to get to the field. I can't believe no one ever caught this error!
Sorry to hear about the incident, but the golden rule still applies. i.e. No model should be flown after mods/re-programming with out range testingwith motor running and whilstchecking all parameters are correctbefore next flight/first flight of the day.
AFHSS - ID-Setup (also known as Binding or Linking) & Range Testing Spectra Pro Module <> Optima Receiver.

Aurora A9 - Programming Problem? - Parameters must be set in correct order e.g. V_tail.
(Sometimes it is much easier to re-set the entire set up from the beginning, this also applies toother major brands e.g. Futaba)

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Review Tips and how-To Videos two video which may assist:
Model Menus Part 2 (92 Megs)
. Exponential
. Conditon C & S
. Dual Rates
. OST.
Model Menus Part 3 (98 Megs)
. EPA – End Point Adjustment
. Flight Conditions - Switch setup: Idle up & Hold.
. Throttle Link
. Trim Link Inh (Inhibit is default)
. ACT Activate - all conditions.
. Servo Speed - in transition.

Alan T.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Zor
Banned

I wonder why we do not have transmitter with enough power that we would not have to range check every time we go flying.

Is the AMA and MAAC doing something about that ?

Zor
Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Jesper1979

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
dpelletier

Give it a few years and Apple will give us the new iFly which will use Neutrinos as the means of communications. Then range or physical interference will be a thing of the past.

Assuming of course that Steve Jobs gets better and goes back to work.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
avronaut

ORIGINAL: alanflys98

Is anyone having issues with the Aurora 9 locking out? I have been flying a DX7 for years without a glitch. The wife got me the Aurora for Christmas and New Years Eve, on its second flight about 8 minutes in, total failure and my beloved 100cc Carden 260 went down full throttle and after the trees finished with her the whole thing went into the Etowah River. [] After 3 trips into frigid N Ga. waters to recover the wreckage, the motor is headed to DA and the radio an servos are headed to Hitec. Any thoughts out there??

Hi,

I use the AURORA with 7 and 9 channel receivers in planes, helicopters, quad fleyrs, ships and cars with combustion and electric engines since October 2009. I use it at well populated locations, at events with many other 2.4GHz users, in rooms with tons of cellular phones, bluetooth devices, computers all over the year with my smart phone in my pockets. It works without any problem and I never had a glitch.

Regards from Germany.

Uli
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

Aurora 9 flight conditions firmware bug!

Has anyone ever setup multiple flight conditions on the Aurora 9? I am very disappointed and embarassed after recommended the Aurora 9 to a good friend. Well, he ended up crashing his 40% Extra 330. It was mostly his fault for maiden his high prize Extra after encountering bugs on the Aurora. Here was what happened...

I updated my friend's Aurora 9 and Optima 9 to the latest firmware on the website. My friend took the radio an Rx home to installed on his 40% Extra. At the field, he decided to add 2 more flight conditions. We added the flight conditions but could NOT get the D/R and Expo settings to stick. We set D/R and Expo for Normal condition. When we go to the second condition, we set different D/R and Expo. We went back to Normal, all the numbers changed to some random numbers, WHY????

In one instant, in the second flight condition, we cannot set negative expo; only positive expo, WHY?
We hit the RESET button on the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight condition, then we can set the negative expo, WHY???

After hitting the RESET button, we went back to the other 2 flight conditions, we lost all of our settings, all D/R went back to 100% and expo to 0%, WHY???

It does not matter what we did, we could not set different D/R and Expo for each flight condition and make the last settings stick when we went to set new settings for the other conditions. I was really pissed off when it did not allow me to set negative expo in condition 2 and 3. Hitting RESET the last time on the D/R/Expo screen caused the right aileron to go from REVERESE back to NORMAL.

We were so tired fighting the radio so we set the flight mode switch to NORMAL and went to fly. We did not delete the other 2 flight conditions. We didn't know that the last time we hit the RESET button in the D/R/Expo menu in the second flight mode caused the ailerons to go in the same direction. Guess what happen when we took off and make a turn???
a $4000 airplane went into the ground full throttle at about 50ft from the ground.

I told my friend not fly until I find the reasons for all these weird behavior on the radio. But he decided to fly anyway after having to drive 40 miles to get to the field.

I can't believe no one ever caught this error!
I'm very sorry to hear about the situation.

Flight conditions: Settings in individual flight conditions can be "Combined" or "Separate;" which are set with the "C" or "S" in the particular mix or setting which does include D/R. If all FC's were set to "Combined" then making a change in one would affect them all. If you had your Normal rate set to 50% for example and then added a flight condition and changed that flight condition from 100% to 50% since they were combined, now Normal would be 0%. It is always advisable to assign flight conditions first to prevent any unwanted interaction and/or set them to Separate so each is set individually without affecting the other.

Reset in the D/R menu would not reset the reversing, only model reset would do this.

I've learned the hard way myself and now always do a pre-flight check to check the controls; right... right, left... left, up... up, down... down before taking off if I do any programming in the radio or plugging of servos in and out. I don't believe it was a bug, just that you had all the conditions combined which caused some to be off when changing another.

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.