Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello So, Alan, I think you told me from these links - NO - I don't *need* to upgrade, but YES - I will need to rebind every receiver as a precaution if I choose to update the module. Is that the bottom line?
Hitec 2.4 GHz AFHSS Equipment Update Manual
'WARNING
After the firmware upgrade, you must perform a range check and full ground before the first flight. "
IDreset is not mentioned as being necessary.

However, with update toV3.01, given the changes, and as one of the older generation who has experiencedchanges to firmware in different equipment with interesting results over many years, decided it was prudent to rebind my Optima transceivers.
Thisso as to also familiarise myself with the new scan function procedure - whichthen requires all other Optima/Minima then be re-set (rebound) to the modules new ID code.

Alan T.
Loved the "older generation" part....."experienced changes"....I can definitely relate. Kinda like WAAAAAYYYYback when Windows said it could be installed on a DOS machine without saving everything.... (Now the whole RCU world knows how old I am)

Thanks, Alan.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

Windows? Whats Windows and what do they do? Do I need them? LOL Then it happened DOS 5 with Windows 3.0
Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: A.T.

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello So, Alan, I think you told me from these links - NO - I don't *need* to upgrade, but YES - I will need to rebind every receiver as a precaution if I choose to update the module. Is that the bottom line?
Hitec 2.4 GHz AFHSS Equipment Update Manual
'WARNING
After the firmware upgrade, you must perform a range check and full ground before the first flight. ''
ID reset is not mentioned as being necessary.

However, with update to V3.01, given the changes, and as one of the older generation who has experienced changes to firmware in different equipment with interesting results over many years, decided it was prudent to rebind my Optima transceivers.
This so as to also familiarise myself with the new scan function procedure - which then requires all other Optima/Minima then be re-set (rebound) to the modules new ID code.

Alan T.
Loved the ''older generation'' part.....''experienced changes''....I can definitely relate. Kinda like WAAAAAYYYY back when Windows said it could be installed on a DOS machine without saving everything.... (Now the whole RCU world knows how old I am)

Thanks, Alan.
When the IBM PC first came to my company, we had engineers with just two 5.25 floppy drives, no Hard Drive, using the Mainframe via a Terminal Emulator card. I remember when I learned how to change the Dos Prompt from C:\ to Bill please input the date you will retire:\. I thought that was cool.

Remember GEM, a competitor to Windows 1?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Remember CPM, Crushed by windows...
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: bgw45

CPM - I do not recognize that. Did you mean CBM?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
42etus

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Heck, I remember CPM and I'm not that old...................................at least I never used to be.[X(]
Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: 42etus

Heck, I remember CPM and I'm not that old...................................at least I never used to be.[X(]
What does CPM stand for?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
42etus

CPM = Control Program for Microcomputers

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

CPM = Control Program for Microcomputers

See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M
I think we've all just revealed that we're so damn old that it further proves the ease of use and intuitiveness of the Aurora 9. If old guys like us who recall when Apollo 13 went to the moon with a total of 512 MB computing on board....well...the Aurora must be pretty darn easy.

Just think - it probably has more instruction code and built in processor power than Cape Canaveral did when Freedom 7 blasted off.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM
BuschBarber

The first computers I worked on were the IBM PC with the 8086 processor and DOS 2. I did have an Atari 48K system in 1984, which got me interested in computers, but I just used it for games.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
BuschBarber

I was in the US Army, stationed in Japan, from 1968-1970. I watched the first Moon Landing, on TV, in 1969.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
rs402931

DAMN..... I must be older than all of you.....i can't remember what i had for breakfast TODAY.

Bob S
Old 04-21-2011, 05:10 AM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Hello all. I bought an Aurora 9 in Nov. last year & it is just now that I'm playing with it. A couple surgery's & other things kept me from doing anything for a while. I have read the book & I even updated the transmitter, module, & all 4 receveirs that I have. Now, for what might seem like a stupid question, "How do I run the short (compaired to 72mhz receveirs) antena wire? & does it have to be outside the fuselage? or can it (should it) be inside the fuselage? Must the wire be straight? or can it be looped or curved from the rec. to the holder? I have the niffty little plasic holders that came with the radio & each receiver, but I found it a lot easier to drill a hole through a piece of balsa & fit the antena into that hole to hold it snug. Here are a few picture of how I did 2 of my planes, but if I did this wrong, then I do not want to continue till I find out which way is correct. Thanks for any help you might provide on this, Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38957.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	1597036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41578.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1597037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86685.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1597038  
Old 04-21-2011, 06:29 AM
propstryker

I just received my new Hitec A-9. Very impressive and great looking radio. Now to figure it all out!
Only one complaint. I have this great new Hitec radio and I have to fly it with my old Futaba 1024 neck strap. I guess I'll order a Hitec neck strap.
The manual says on page 22, "It is strongly recommended to use Hitec "S" Heavy Duty High Channel Switch Harness with Receiver Charger Cord (Stock # 54407S) for Optima serivs Receivers". What does this mean? I fly larger planes and use the HD EMS switch.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I have a hard time easily finding what I want in the Aurora 9 manual. All information is in the manual, it is just hard to find it. The manual has a good table of contents but no alphabetic index to make it easy to find things.

As a result I put to gether an index that can be printed, trimmed and put inside back cove of the manual for easy reference. Here is the link to download the PDF:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10467839

Earlier in this thread there is also a link to a computer searchable A9 manual posted by A.T. If you would rather have a searchable manual on your PC, you may want to download it.

Hope you find this useful.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM
propstryker

Thank you Wayne. It's downloaded, printed and in my manual. I'll look for A.T's manual also.
I remember when the toughest thing to figure out on a new TX was which way to flip the servo reverse switches!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:47 AM
42etus

MILDBILL
I do exactly what you have done with no problems at all. I find it easier to make my own mount to suit each plane than to use the supplied Hitec mount.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

The searchable manual link is in A.T.'s post 3471 in this thread on page 139.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 AM
propstryker

"The searchable manual link is in A.T.'s post 3471 in this thread on page 139."

Downloaded and searchable. Very cool.
Thanks for all the help Wayne.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

Your very welcome - I'm sending you a PM.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: MILDBILL-RCU Hello all. I bought an Aurora 9 in Nov. last year & it is just now that I'm playing with it. A couple surgery's & other things kept me from doing anything for a while. I have read the book & I even updated the transmitter, module, & all 4 receveirs that I have. Now, for what might seem like a stupid question, "How do I run the short (compaired to 72mhz receveirs) antena wire? & does it have to be outside the fuselage? or can it (should it) be inside the fuselage? Must the wire be straight? or can it be looped or curved from the rec. to the holder? I have the niffty little plasic holders that came with the radio & each receiver, but I found it a lot easier to drill a hole through a piece of balsa & fit the antena into that hole to hold it snug. Here are a few picture of how I did 2 of my planes, but if I did this wrong, then I do not want to continue till I find out which way is correct. Thanks for any help you might provide on this, Bill
Appear good to go, after a range test at the flying field.
The following may be of interest:
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Installation RX & BODA Antenna FAQ, Volts & Range Test Results. {Regularily Updated with Q&A}
Carbon Fiber Fuse... Report - from well known Glider Pilot and Fly RC author Mike Lee
Aurora 9 - Giant Scale set up Brandon Chitty's 42% Aeroworks Yak - Video presentation of set up.
Range Test Procedure (#5.)

Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, Spectra Modules & Optima Transceivers - FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups,Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 04-21-2011, 03:02 PM
MILDBILL-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Thank you A.T. that helps alot. I think I am ready to go maiden this radio tomorrow evening, Sat. evening for sure. 42 was also big help with a pm on the subject. I am finding that this is easy to understand as to setting up each model & its features. I have set the 4 receivers into some older planes & I really like it so far. Thanks again for the help, Bill
Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I've just identified 2 problems that I can not solve. I'm hoping someone can help.

In order to do some testing, I set up a new model called "TEST", I went through the new model menus and set up model type, wing type, tail type, engine type etc.

1. I would now like to delete "TEST" from my model selection, but I can not seem to do it. I've tried resetting the model, renaming it to blanks. After renaming it to blanks it now shows on the model menu as "ACRO:NONAME-#". Does anyone know how to erase this model from the model selection menu?

2. Also, while doing my testing, I had set up an engine type, but later wanted to change it. Does anyone know how you can go back into a model and change the engine type after you have set up a model?

Thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 PM
A.T.

Reset or Delete a Model

ORIGINAL: Wayne Miller Hi, I've just identified 2 problems that I can not solve. I'm hoping someone can help.
In order to do some testing, I set up a new model called "TEST", I went through the new model menus and set up model type, wing type, tail type, engine type etc.1. I would now like to delete "TEST" from my model selection, but I can not seem to do it. I've tried resetting the model, renaming it to blanks. After renaming it to blanks it now shows on the model menu as "ACRO:NONAME-#". Does anyone know how to erase this model from the model selection menu?2. Also, while doing my testing, I had set up an engine type, but later wanted to change it. Does anyone know how you can go back into a model and change the engine type after you have set up a model? Thanks for your help. Fly4Fun,Wayne
1. Turn on Aurora, select and open another model.
. Go back to model name index, highlight the one to be deleted.
. The option[Delete] willappear center right icon in lieu of [Reset]

2. Use [Reset] option to fully reset that model or if just the engine, select [System] >[Model Type] and then the Acro/Hel/Glid icon. - best to reset as Model typeis first in parameters line and will effect all other parameters.

Alan T.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69465.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1597291  
Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Alan,

That did the trick, thanks for your help.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.