Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
CustomPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Question for Mike.

I'm looking for a new TX and the Aurora is one that i'm considering. The only real gripe i have with it is the exposed antenna cable at the back of the radio. I can live with a module but the exposed wire is soo 2007.

Are there any plans to release a module with the antenna mount extended up though the handle like the new spektrum module case? This would be a much neater setup.

Also, what are the chances of a Satelite RX that sends a digital signal which can be decoded by the Mikado V-Bar (which can now decode the signal from Spektrum Satelites and Futaba S-Bus)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94402.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1442674  
Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 AM
ss40

Re: The receivers. I would ship somebody one as a loaner but it would cost me the price paid for each. Does that put it in perspective?? Quit yer bellyachin' !
Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 AM
JIMF14D

Hitec already makes a direct antenna module that works with the A9 Rxs.

I have one and they call it the promotional module for $25. Ithink the offer ends this month 30th. Call Hitec and see if it will work with the A9. Ihave it on a converted Eclispe 7 and it works fine. Ihave not tried it on my A9.

Actually after you have the A9 for 2 days you will not even notice the rear cable. And the radio range and performance is so good! Forget the wire, fly the plane!

Jim D
Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 AM
JIMF14D

check the battery! Use the SPC port!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

We can't emphasize enough that the Optima receivers requires more current than any other receivers people are used to. We want telemetry? It requires some juice to have it.

The problem with your friend's P-51 is a case of intermittent power to the receiver in Normal mode.

I had to update my fleet from 2000mAH High Discharge NiMH to LiFePO. I used to have 2 NiMHs per plane. Now I have 2 LiFePOs per plane. With 9 high torque Hitec digital servos on board, chances are, I used to run at the border with my old 72MHz reciever. How do I know? Fly straight up full throttle and then do 2 continuous snap rolls. If the rudder doesn't hold, I know don't have enough juice (or enough torque). I have 2 HS7950TGs on the rudder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94958.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1442840  
Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

That's a great post, and a perfect reminder for those of us running large airplanes with power-hungry servos. Just want to add that one who runs this kind of setup ALSO must be fully-aware and always vigilant of the CONNECTORS used, brand and quality of EXTENSIONS used, and overall AMPACITYof the switch(es) in use on board.

The "whole package" is what lets you decide whether or not the setup is Fool-proof or Fool-hardy.

There ain't NO substitute for amps and volts ATTHEDEVICE being powered.
Rule # 1.

ORIGINAL: LQUAN

We can't emphasize enough that the Optima receivers requires more current than any other receivers people are used to. We want telemetry? It requires some juice to have it.

The problem with your friend's P-51 is a case of intermittent power to the receiver in Normal mode.

I had to update my fleet from 2000mAH High Discharge NiMH to LiFePO. I used to have 2 NiMHs per plane. Now I have 2 LiFePOs per plane. With 9 high torque Hitec servos on board, chances are, I used to run on the border with my old 72MHz reciever. How do I know? Fly straight up full throttle and then do 2 continuous snap rolls. If the rudder doesn't hold, I know don't have enough juice (or enough torque). I have 2 HS7950TGs on the rudder.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jim

I like that : quote : Forget the wire, fly the plane! . I found this very funny . THIS , is exactly what we,er suppose to do .

Nice

Michel
Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about the intermittent power concern due to low battery-he runs a dual fromeco battery set up with tbm regulators-never had a problem with the set up and he was using a 10x-He has not found any reasons yet but the hull is laying on his bench and he states he has found nothing .
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 AM
ss40

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Hitec already makes a direct antenna module that works with the A9 Rxs.

I have one and they call it the promotional module for $25. I think the offer ends this month 30th. Call Hitec and see if it will work with the A9. I have it on a converted Eclispe 7 and it works fine. I have not tried it on my A9.

Actually after you have the A9 for 2 days you will not even notice the rear cable. And the radio range and performance is so good! Forget the wire, fly the plane!

Jim D
The promotional works great on the A9. Yes I noticed the wire even after 2 days.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:13 AM
JIMF14D

Maybe we could say "Forget the coupon, buy a Rx, fly the plane?" Ouch!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:26 AM
lafjax

How many ma's does the opt 7 receiver pull through the spc port?
Would I have plenty of receiver power if I hooked up a small, like 200ma battery to the spc port and a 1500 ma to power the servos.
I have discovered that the opt 7 uses a lot of receiver power hooking up through the servos compared to old 72mz receivers in my applications.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 AM
udet1918

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

I am not sure about the intermittent power concern due to low battery-he runs a dual fromeco battery set up with tbm regulators-never had a problem with the set up and he was using a 10x-He has not found any reasons yet but the hull is laying on his bench and he states he has found nothing .
Did the "stepping" happen while in flight after everything looked good on the ground?

Ron
Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 AM
JIMF14D

No!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
rudder turns

Hi Guys,I have 10,2.4 hitec receivers,so If I accidentally go into scan mode,when range testing, I than have to rebind all of my planes.[:@] If that is the case I would suggest that It should be allot harder to get into scan mode,possibly holding the button for 30 seconds.
I was also curious how many of you guys use Scan mode????Thanks ED
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

Hi Guys,I have 10,2.4 hitec receivers,so If I accidentally go into scan mode,when range testing, I than have to rebind all of my planes.[:@] If that is the case I would suggest that It should be allot harder to get into scan mode,possibly holding the button for 30 seconds.
Hi rudder turns

Thats a good one , put it in the wish list ,............................ I agree completely [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Michel
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
JIMF14D

Iuse only Normal mode.

My field is not full of dense flying. After watching the New Zealand guy testing where he shows that once you let the system learn your field or RF environment in Scan mode, it will use some of that info in Normal afterwards Normal mode seems fine.

To me Scan has one limitation that is risky even on the ground. If you turn off the transmitter the system will not re-link without re-binding.

So if Iam running a model on the field bench or somewhere on the flight line and Ihave brain fart and turn off the TX, Inow have the potential of no control. I know it goes to fail safe but still not a comforting though even if it is a low probability. Or if I have not finished trimming and set failsafe.

Ifeel that Normal with hopping over 20 channels is good enough. So far not a single glitch. Maybe a hundred flights now with one electric and one .70 4-stroke model.

I am the only Hitec user at my field Ithink. Have been for 10 years and never an inflight problem.

But in RC Ishould know to never say never..............

Ithink making it harder to get to scan mode is a good idea. Ihave done it twice by accident so far. I fact Iwonder why it done via the buttons on the module for the A9. I know it is a universal type module but maybe we could have a A9+ someday that gets rid of the antenna cable and does all the fuctions of the red blue buttons from the front touch panel. Then Iwould not need 3 hands to bind my electric models that do not have on off switches.

Dream on!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
PfalzPflyer
My Feedback: (3)

I do not have an A9 (yet), but I do have the 2.4Ghz conversion module installed on my old Prism 7X. Due to work demands I've only been able to test it for one flying session, but it seemed to work fine. I had no trouble binding anything.

That said, I agree with the growing general concensus that it should be harder to go into "Scan" mode. When you have a large percentage of real-world users going into this mode unintentionally (sometimes with unpleasant results), it would suggest that it's too easy to do. (Especially since it's a feature that most people don't seem to be using regularly, anyways!)

I think it should take some real effort to go into "Scan" mode, or at least require holding the button longer.

Dean in Omaha
www.westernfrontdawnpatrol.com

Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

Which Fromco batts, do you know? Some of these have a very low C rating and regs can pull them down even further. I have not heard from the gentleman, I would be happy to talk to him to troubleshoot the cause. It sounds like a bad bind, or a power issue.

ORIGINAL: lafjax

How many ma's does the opt 7 receiver pull through the spc port?
Would I have plenty of receiver power if I hooked up a small, like 200ma battery to the spc port and a 1500 ma to power the servos.
I have discovered that the opt 7 uses a lot of receiver power hooking up through the servos compared to old 72mz receivers in my applications.
60mah but can spike up to an amp at start up.

ORIGINAL: rudder turns

I'll pass that on to the engineers, maybe they'll be able to change it to prevent this from happening accidentally.

I use only Normal mode.

My field is not full of dense flying. After watching the New Zealand guy testing where he shows that once you let the system learn your field or RF environment in Scan mode, it will use some of that info in Normal afterwards Normal mode seems fine.

To me Scan has one limitation that is risky even on the ground. If you turn off the transmitter the system will not re-link without re-binding.

So if I am running a model on the field bench or somewhere on the flight line and I have brain fart and turn off the TX, I now have the potential of no control. I know it goes to fail safe but still not a comforting though even if it is a low probability. Or if I have not finished trimming and set failsafe.

I feel that Normal with hopping over 20 channels is good enough. So far not a single glitch. Maybe a hundred flights now with one electric and one .70 4-stroke model.

I am the only Hitec user at my field I think. Have been for 10 years and never an inflight problem.

But in RC I should know to never say never..............

I think making it harder to get to scan mode is a good idea. I have done it twice by accident so far. I fact I wonder why it done via the buttons on the module for the A9. I know it is a universal type module but maybe we could have a A9+ someday that gets rid of the antenna cable and does all the fuctions of the red blue buttons from the front touch panel. Then I would not need 3 hands to bind my electric models that do not have on off switches.

Dream on!

We use Normal mode exclusively as well, even at large events like Joe Nall with zero issues. I simply believe that any random 20 channels used cannot be defeated. Scan mode is like the extra level of protection that we don't even need. It's nice to know that we have that ace in the hole though in case things get even more crowded in the future.

I'm sure it's possible that we could change the binding process in the future when everything is built in. We'll just have to see what the future brings... We're listening and not content to sit still, I can tell you that! I do appreciate all the valuable input from you guys.

Mike.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 PM
ss40

SO there will be an Aurora 9"B: when everything is built in!!
Planned obsolescence
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 AM
TimBle

Indeed your Tx haspotential.But I think you went too complicated for the sake of it.

Sometimes its good to kick the marketers out of the room when you have product development meetings 

Watching this product closely since I may be in the market for radio to control a Pilot RC Extra 260 in a the not too distant future.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ss40

SO there will be an Aurora 9''B: when everything is built in!!
Planned obsolescence
For a software change? Why?

All it would take is an update which the A9 is already enabled to have done by the user anyway.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Indeed your Tx haspotential.But I think you went too complicated for the sake of it.

Sometimes its good to kick the marketers out of the room when you have product development meetings

Watching this product closely since I may be in the market for radio to control a Pilot RC Extra 260 in a the not too distant future.
Let me take a wild guess here... You neither own one nor have even picked one up and done any programming with it. Is that a good guess?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:43 AM
JIMF14D

Wow, Ithought my A9 was about the simplest radio to use that Ihave seen.

Yes it has lots of functions but the menus and touch screen are great. No wheels, knobs or pulleys to turn to set things up. RF link seems bulletproof so far. Yes the module button pushing routine takes getting use to.

Buy one and try it out for awhile.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:17 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Highflight

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Let me take a wild guess here... You neither own one nor have even picked one up and done any programming with it. Is that a good guess?

thanks for the lame attempt at sarcasm but I have fiddled with the Tx; a club mate has one and we were trying to sort out his pattern ship just a few weekends ago.
I thought the touch screen was a great idea but found my fat little fingers hitting the wrong function all to often and in the low winter sun we have here in the southern hemisphere, the display can be difficult to read. it needs a matte or polarized finished or requires you to work in the shade.
Call me pedantic but why do companies through in good ideas in half measures.....? HUH?
Menu structure is intuitive but coming from a Futaba background it took some getting used to. See we adapt to what we have and anything new takes time.
We also had the unbind issue when somehow in the conversation we ended up moving it from Normal to scan and back again. Not sure what we did but fortunately he has one plane so the unbind was not a trainsmash.

like i said, its a great little Tx with great features (perhaps too many) and its something i would consider in the future when I have aircraft requiring more than 6 channels. Probably not to far of as I aquired a Y.S 120 today so that Giles 202 is not far off...

Naturally I will lean toward Futaba because i know the product and have built up a range of Rx that would be a shame to discard.
but the Hitec A9 is interesting and a worthy competitor. I'm just not a bells and whistles kind of person. Features need to be useful and not provide the potential to get lost in programming. Flying is about hand eye co-ordination afterall, not software.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:40 PM
grinsv1

Hello

What is the antenne power of the Aurora 9 2,4 GHz?
Are all Aurora 9 the same. I mean sold in United States are the same as sold in Europe?
In other words. Is a Aurora 9 bought in United States allowed in Europe?

Regards
Arie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.