Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Sailboats
Reload this Page >

NEW THREAD NAME: Let's Fix Bluey

Notices
RC Sailboats For all your r/c sailing needs, post here.

NEW THREAD NAME: Let's Fix Bluey

Old 06-28-2003, 07:46 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW THREAD NAME: Let's Fix Bluey

i've got two knackered yachts.
ones a Lesro 757 thats got a plastic hull, with the area around the rudder compleatly.. umm screwed lol it's no longer part of the boat. i need to compleatly rebuild the mast and top deck.
the other is pretty much the same, a bit smaller, and looks a bit more.. sporty. rudders ok, but the keel has snapped off, looks like a ok fix. it has a CF mast that i'm sure was in one piece when i saw dad bring it home, now it's snapped. will get pics soon and have a good look over both. i miss having a yacht to while away the hours.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Cactus.

ok first pic, the 575, umm doh, called it a 757 before lol
rudder missing, and mast fixings pulled away. not the easiest fix, however, i've had this boat for years
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	89949_743.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	52053  
Old 06-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Cactus.

lets call this one bluey. cant find the rest of the keel right now, the mast just fits into a hole in the top deck, looks like two holes, think this changes something about how the yacht behaves. looks like fixing the keel and getting a new mast will sort it.

so which would you do?

Name:	89950_743.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	52054  
Old 06-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Trombe

Lets fix Bluey,
Why bother looking for the old Keel when you can make your own! What youll end up with is some lead whieghts sourounded by fiberglass-epoxy. For that wonderfull mast, you can find some carbon fiber TUBES NOT STICKS that will make good lightweight jobies. And your right, if there are two holes for the mast, each one will make the boat perform differently acording to the current wind situations. Moving the mast forward will improve handling while back improves pointing (into the wind)but is on the verge of out of control.

I'll have pictures/ diagrams of what to do with your mast tomorow or the day after. :stupid:
Old 06-30-2003, 07:38 PM
Cactus.

Bluey is already on the mend i've replaced two line fixing points with new eyes.
i was gonna get a dowel today, but the weather was good so i came home right from work so i could go to the beach
the local shop has CF tubes too, dont worry, i knew tube not rod, but i'm gussing it'll be about 9 pounds for a lenght, and the dowel, 50-80p lol. the rest of the yacht is nothing special, no need for CF here
apparently the keel WAS with the yacht when dad brought it home, its somewhere in the garage, maybe on the floor. i'll have to move his car out and have a good look. the keel is hollow, so a 1/32 ply tounge will sort it
there might be some dowel up there too. if not i'll measure what i have and go buy.
theres a few things on this yacht new to me. the sail is held on with hooks on a tight string. not rails like the 575, and the rear boom has many holes. only one makes the sail tight at all, the rest are all over the place.
I'll try and get some more pics of things soon. i'll also add this as a build page on my site.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:51 AM
Cactus.

heres a few pics.
sail layout

Name:	90595_743.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	52055  
Old 07-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Cactus.

mast attachments

Name:	90596_743.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	52056  
Old 07-01-2003, 05:53 AM
Cactus.

rear sail adjustment

Name:	90597_743.jpg
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	52057  
Old 07-01-2003, 05:53 AM
Cactus.

front sail

Name:	90598_743.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	52058  
Old 07-01-2003, 05:56 AM
Cactus.

mast head.
the blue line goes to the back of the yacht, and also pulls the rear sail up the tight line also visiable right behind the mast as the yellow line.
the red is attached to the top of the front sail and hooks to the head.
pink is 3 lines, two of which goto the sides, the other runs down the front of the front sail.
green attaches to the front of the boat.
all a bit teci for what i know about yachts
im late for work, byeeeeeee, catch ya later

Name:	90599_743.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	52059  
Old 07-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Trombe

Default Mast Head

This will be one of the most complicated parts to get right

You will need to be sure the sail will not interfere with Back stay. In other words, make the piece plenty long.

You should also add a Bowi to adjust the back stay

Name:	90609_17491.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	52060  
Old 07-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Trombe

To save time, combine the green and pink lines together. The pink line will come from atop the mast, down (connected) to the sail and PAST the end of the sail to atatch to the very tippy front of the boat.

It sounds crude, but the best way to atatch the line to the jib is by folding the sail over around it. (girls usally do this best) and depending on the sail material, sew it together

Pink= line
Blue= Jib Boom
Green= Sail (jib)

By the way, if at all possible, find some Green SpiderWire and use that for all the rigging. The stuff is impossibal to cut with scissors.

Name:	90610_17491.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	52061  
Old 07-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Trombe

This is one of the things I learned from racing Victorias. This is a little bent piece of Brass that alows adjusting the postion of the Jib.

Oh yea, make new booms for each sail out of would to save weight. Dont worry about them breaking, they wont.

I dont understand why this picture wont work. hmmmm
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
90619_17491.bmp (14.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Cactus.

umm info over load right now
i was surprised to see the rear stay connected to the sail to tension it.
your pic dosnt show because its a .bmp btw
i was thinking of making a new head, i have enough CF scraps here to make a head, and new bits at the bottom of the sails.
will check the price of CF tube when i get a chance to goto the LSH.
green spiderwire... where can i find this? fishing shops? i was gonna use the stuff i have on the 575, black and white braded strand.
im gonna have a good look at these pics and then reply again.
oh yes, The pink line will come from atop the mast, down (connected) to the sail and PAST the end of the sail to atatch to the very tippy front of the boat.
i think the pink already does this.. ah, its attached to the sail, then looped round the ali bit at the bottom, not to the front of the boat.. so if i do this i can loose the green yes? isnt the bow to far away then? and the line trying to pull the sail forwards. currently the rear attachment is to the servo i guess.
if i get your BMP pic right, i attach the rear of the rear sail to the boat, then the winch adjusts the front? this is backwards to what i know.
ah man, im just gonna have to go back and check the pics again lol
im used to the 575. 4 lines tension the mast. then one tensions the jib and gos to a side mount, the other tensions the mail sail and goes to the other side mount.
jib currently has no fixings, its not big, so i'll sew on hooks and have another wire like the rear.

anyway, time to check these pics again
BIG Thanks
keep it comming.

heres a simple pic of Bluey if anything needs drawing.

Name:	90673_743.jpg
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	52063  
Old 07-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Trombe

From what you describe, The set up should be like your 575. The jib SHOULD NOT BE ATATCHED TO THE MAST. Exept for the top of course. The SW will come out of the deck through a hole centered in the Deck under the Jib Boom as it is centered Paralell with the Hull.

Name:	90837_17491.jpg
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	52064  
Old 07-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Trombe

I am guessing this is how your radio set up is? If not, I higly recomend doing so.
Also, you can usally get SpiderWire at your "Local Shop Hobby"
Other wise, every big fishing store has it.

The two servos are mounted on two sruce rails that run across the boat and are epoxied in place. The sail servo arm should be as long as possibal to maximize sail travle.

Oh yeah, have you found the keel yet? After all, its a very important piece. You wouldent want it to cap size it and drown would you? :drowning:

Name:	90839_17491.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	52065  
Old 07-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Trombe

Default BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE

NO NO NO! Once the pink wire comes down the sail, it should be atatched to the Jib boom and tied down there.

Perhaps this picture will clear things up.

The Jib back stay is simply for support and to adjust the curve in your sail for sport racing. But you will still need it on your boat.

Sorry for the bad info :stupid:

Name:	90854_17491.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	52066  
Old 07-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Cactus.

ok, i have that radio set up, it was the same for the 575, and Bluey already has a HUGE! fibreglass arm.

if i get the drawing now, i come up the front of the jib, through the head and this wire then goes one side, it tensions the sail.. currently i have another line at the top between the jib top, and head which tensions the sail, the pink line stops at the head and the sail is connected to the line with hooks. ie it can move along the line. i guess bottom tension comes from the front mount at the moment, with the winch at the rear.

Still no joy finding the keel yet. but im going to a display for the weekend, there should be a tradestand with CF tube the size i need, wasnt any in the LHS today. it'll also give dad time when he gets back from London to sort through his cr&p and find it.
if not i laminate up some ply and balsa, and fair in a fishing weight ( streamlined of course )

now.. i guess theres some equation of where the boat should balance on its side when correctly balanced. bottom of the mast? top of the keel?

Thanks for all this help
Old 07-02-2003, 11:14 PM
S Devitt

Normally you would balance the boat (all gear aboard) with the keelbulb on the fin so that the transom at the stern and the turn at the bow are just barely touching the water. It is kind of a balancing act, getting the right amount of weight and the right position. Too little weight and the waterline will be too short and speed will suffer, too much and there will be too much drag from the bow and stern slowing the boat down.

Steve
Old 07-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Trombe

AW %&$#

I have to do this message AAAAALLLLLLL over again. Stupid RCU

I'm Sorry, were stupid because we think your image is tooooo big. Were going to delete all of your message too. Because were stupid.
Did you know if you click the Back button after getting the "To big of a picture" message, it delets every thing you wrote to go with it too. That need to be fixed.

ANNNNNY WAAAYYY,

Thank you steve! I never knew about waterlines of a boat! That will be very helpfull for my victoria!

Philly, (what a cool name!) after much slow reading and eye strain, I belive you have the correct figuration of where the lines should go and end.

Exept for one thing. I explaned this the first time, but took forever to write. So this time I will just tell you. Take the cleet off of your deck. The one that tension the bottome of Jib. Its bad luck.
Just use a loop of string or a little clip to hold the Jib down on one of those millions of holeshssdhaslkfjaflka j You know what.

Name:	91206_17491.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	52067  
Old 07-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Cactus.

if you use your browsers back button it's still there. i also copy all text if i've written alot just incase..

cool name? are you taking the pi$$

at the moment all my holes are on the jib boom, think it links to the front of the bow.
think what im gonna do is this weekend get a CF mast ( or not lol ) and then get the mast its self built and head. i can then get my 4 mast ties on. and the rest can follow.
once i get the mast on, some clear pics of everthing in place ( as it is now ) should clear things up.
just wondering if i can tape the mast, and quickly connect it now...

if i get your drawings, the hole adjust thing is attached to the boat, and a clip on the end of the boom pulls it out or lets it in. effectivle moving the hinge point for the winch which is attached to the other end of the boom.

oh no, i've just seen your winch is attached to the front of the jib

think i need to see a few pics of diffrent yachts to get all this in perspective.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Trombe

I cant use pictures of EXACTLY what i'm talking about but here are some very close ones.

Differences= You wont have that revolting for stay.
You will have (acording to what you describe) holes in you Jib boom for adjustment.
And the little line that leads away from the clip is the same as your cleet. That cleet needs to b OH WAIT! Come to think of it, my victoria is like that.... Its my Aussii II that dosent.
Then again the Aussii II is about the same size as your boat...

This is going to be a trial and error type of thing. Build the boat w/ the cleet system. If after a few runs and you dont like it, take it off. By that time, you will come up w/ your own ideas.

Name:	91213_17491.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	52068  
Old 07-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Trombe

Here is what my boat dosent look like. This is the stock boat while mine is so modified the Jib line comes up and out of the hole. But Thats not the point. See the blue line that goes diagnaly across the deck to the eyelets on the side? Because you should. That is you cleet system.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Trombe

All I need now is a picture to go with it!

:bananahea

Name:	91219_17491.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	52069  
Old 07-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Trombe

Here's the mast head i was talking about erlire.

Go ahead and put your mast up when you get it. Things will start going to there places.

Name:	91220_17491.jpg
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	52070  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.