Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Scale Flying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Another reason why I will be in China. I will be going over the retracts. I will have a better idea when i return at the end of the month. I will post my findings as soon as I know.

Thank you
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM
rgaynor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Terrific - BTW - I ran into Condor060 at SEFF and he did a GREAT job showing off your Baron. It got a lot of lookers!!
Safe travels
Ron
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Scale Flying

yes, he mentioned you when i talked to him on the phone... He will be flying the Baron at Joe Nall as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
rgaynor

Terrific - I left SEFF early and did not get a chance to see him fly it on 2 6S lipos. Maybe I will get the chance to see him at Joe Nall. Are you planning to attend this year???
Safe travels to China
Ron
Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Scale Flying

Not sure, depends how much i need to catch up when i get back from china.. its going to be a tough one.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 PM
rgaynor

Hope it all works out and we can catch up a Nall.
Take care,
Ron
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the kind works Ron. I love this Baron and on 6S packs she will hover. I can't do it, lol but shes turning 13000 RPM on those 3 bladed props with Thunder Power 6S 65c packs. I really think the electric will give the nitro version I built with OS 46s a run for her money. I am not really an electric fan for fixed wing but I must admit, this Baron is starting to change my mind.
With the batteries in the nose and the servos in the tail her CG is 1 1/4 inches from the leading edge of the tip of the wings. This thing sounds like tow weed eaters having sex and I mean that in a good way. The sound of those high pitch 3 blades is pretty cool. They say the props are 12-8 but I don't believe it. More like 12 -10 or 11 if you ask me.
I never used the flaps becuase I was flying into a 20 kt cross wind but I will fly it this weekend and give another heads up on slow speed handling.
She was slightly lighter than the nitro version coming in at 16.8 lbs with batteries installed.
The only changes I would make so far would be to stick about a 1/2 spacer in the main gear tubes to beef up the main gear spring and maybe a little carbon fiber in the inside of the wing for just a tad more main gear support. I don't think it really needs it but a little more beef couldn't hurt.
Hope to see everyone at Joe Nall.
Fred
Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 AM
rgaynor

Glad to hear the 6S lipos gave you the equivalent speed of the nitro you were looking for. I will assume the 6s TP were only slightly bigger than the 5s Turnigy or did you have to shave the opening a little more?
See you at Nall!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

The TP 6s is smaller than the Turnigy 5S, go figure.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
rgaynor

Good to know - I will look to power mine then with the TP 6s - may need to take a bank loan to finance two of those bad boys :-)
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 AM
murphyj123

Well, Igot the air retracts from Cliff and Iam very impressed with the quality of these retracts. Comparing them to the crap gear Igot from ESMfor their Corsair which Igot flying a few months ago Cliff's are definitely in a class above. (The Corsair is a great flyer by the way with a pretty easy e-conversion. Plane great, gear sucks.) These gear are MUCHmore sturdy than the previous struts Iwas using. The springs are stronger, but still not quite strong enough, they bottom out with just the weight of the plane sitting there. The mains do, not the nose. Igot them installed pretty quickly, they fit well and required little modification to install, just had to grind out a little extra space here and there.
Made the first flight with these gear this morning. On earlier flights, Iused a single 5000maH5 cell 25c and had adequate performance, but short flights. Thistime Iused 2 4000maH 5 cell 30-40c squeezed into the nose. That eliminated the extra weight Ineeded with the single batteryand gave me a longer flight time (which Ineeded). Also the higher c rating on these newer cells definitely providedmore authority to the flight. Iam very happy with this setup.
Unfortunately, Iamstill plagued with retract problems. They went up fine, butwhen Ifirst tried to lower them, the right main did not lower. ARRGH.
Made several go arounds (fortunately could deal with a longer flight)and cycled the gear several times. Eventually it looked like it was most of the way down, so Itried to land on our grass field. Landed mains first and luckily, the mains stayed locked down! Then the nose landed and it collapsed! Ifone had to fail,that's the one you want.Just slid alongthe ground causing no damage!!!
Idid notice whentesting the gear that theydid not lower all that fast (on the springs), while they snapped right up (on the air).
Well, now Ihave to take them apart and see why they are sticking. It's a grass field in Florida and some sand and dirt gets thrown up when rolling. But this was the first flight, how much could have gotten up there on 1 takeoff?
On the plusside, they handled the takeoff and landing beautifully, they are much more robust than the first ones. This is a heavy plane and these retracts seem up to it. Now Ijust have toget them cycling reliably.
But... Goingback to Mass next week, so the Baron will have to wait till next year.Oh Well.
Good Luck to all with their builds and flights.This is a great plane, but has been a lot more work than most.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 AM
rgaynor

From conversations with Fred (Condor060) you may want to stick a 1/2 spacer in the mains to make them tighter. Regarding the nose gear, you may want to check your pull-pull wires to make sure they are not too tight, hense, restricking the nose from locking. Just a thought.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Daniel List

Hi Friends of the beech baron

I have a problem with the retracts and the oleo struts. After a hard landing, the shift of the front gear was broken so I bought a few weeks ago the package of retracts for the baron. These are the optimized retracts for the baron. Now, I have a problem, that the oleo struts don't fit to the retracts. The struts are to thin for the whole of the retracts to put it in and screw it. Could you tell me about your experience and - if you have also changed the retracts - how you mounted the oleo struts? Or have I to buy some new oleo struts too?

I asked the technical services from cliff several times by emailbut I didn' get an answer till today. I would be happy to fly the baron again in this season.

Thank's for an answer.

Daniel
Switzerland
Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 AM
murphyj123

Hi Daniel,
Glad to hear you have been flying your plane!
The early retracts were very problematic, but the new ones (with the larger hole for the struts) are MUCHbetter.
Ifollowed the same course as you did and received the new retract units and could not fit my old struts into them.
Isimply called Cliff and let him know and he was happy to send me the new struts which fit the new retracts and are a bit stiffer, but are still probably too soft. He did not charge me anything for the updated struts and I'm sure he will do the same for you. He seems to have a soft spot for the early adopters. Now, while the new retracts are MUCHbetter than the originals, they are not perfect. They don't seem to handle dirt very well and Ihave had them stick up and down and mid travel. Ihaven’t been able to spend time with them yet, but I'm sure with a little protection from the dirt spray from the wheels they should be fine. The new gear are MUCHmore robust and really hold up tight and strong when they are locked. No more struts spinning on shafts like the old ones, these stay put.

Good Luck Daniel and just give Cliff a call, I'm sure he can solve your immediate problem quickly,
I'll get back to my Baron next fall when I'm back in Florida,
John

Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Daniel List

Hi John

Thank you for your answer. I will do as you say and will contact Cliff for the new struts.
Perhaps I will test the retracts from eurokit if the optimized retracts from Cliff are to weak because my barons weight is near to 18 lbs. But this baron is so good to fly even with 18 lbs. I changed the props from 12x8 to 12x6 and now I can fly for about 6 minutes with a 5s5400 mAh accu.

I wish you a good time and many good flights in this season. If possible, I will send you some pictures from my next flight.

sincerely yours

Daniel
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Parrot Girl

Hi guys,

where did you get the eflite 105 degree nose retract? I can't find anyone stocking it.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Daniel List

Hi Parrot Girl

Have a look to cgi.ebay.com/E-Flite-60-120-105-Degree-Nose-Retract-Uni-EFLG411105-/360343202237

there are 3 items available.

kind regards and have a nice time

Daniel
Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Parrot Girl

Thanks guys - got them!

my plane should be here "down under" next week!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Parrot Girl

Hey guys I got my Barron today but problem!!! The oleos were supposed to have a 5mm shaft to go in the retract! But they don't!!!!!!!! they have something like a 10mm strut. Now I can't see how to get them onto my eflite retracts

Please help!!!!

You can see from the picture that the tops of these don't look anything like the ones on the scale flying website.

I bought this darn plane as I liked the appeal of having electric retracts, now I have spent $300 on eflites and $129 on struts that won't work together NOT HAPPY.

Cliff please please are you monitoring this thread!! You said yourself that these things could fit a 5mm shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47972.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1631234  
Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 AM
jymster
My Feedback: (9)

Hi parrot Girl,

Yes, this is the way mine are too. The oleos are supplied to fit over the wire legs that are normally supplied with retracts. The E-Flite retracts should have wire legs supplied, yes? The oleos are not designed for the E-Flite retracts, which is why you will probably need to make up an adapter to fit them.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Parrot Girl

Yes I know I need to adapt it with a wire - but these oleos don't have any hole in the top at all for a wire!

My kit is missing the glideslope antenna for the tail and the clear light covers for the wingtip too. Hope I can get hold of scaleflying to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62721.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1631251  
Old 07-05-2011, 04:22 AM
jymster

Ah, now I see what you mean. I will have to have a look at mine again. I'm sure they had a predrilled hole, but now you make me curious.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 AM
jymster

Hi All,

I have had enough of waiting for Cliff's elusive electric retracts, so I am taking the plunge for the E-Flites. Can someone please tell me if the mains are the 90 deg or 85 deg? It seems to make more sense to me that they should be 85 degree (#EFLG40185), to compensate for the dihedral in the wing, but what are others using?

James.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Parrot Girl

Hey jymster, I spoke to them on the phone on Friday. They said 4 weeks until the electric retracts arrive.
Doesn't help me though as I already have the eflite retracts, but no struts to fit them

you need 90 degree mains and 105 degree nose. Beware the 105 degree nose is quite expensive

Tell you what, .... the new electric retracts should fit the new struts I have, but I need the old struts you have for my eflites.... maybe we can swap?

Or I could sell you my eflites and get cliffs electric retracts?? then I have the correct struts to fit!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 AM
jymster

ORIGINAL: Parrot Girl

Hey jymster, I spoke to them on the phone on Friday. They said 4 weeks until the electric retracts arrive.
Doesn't help me though as I already have the eflite retracts, but no struts to fit them

you need 90 degree mains and 105 degree nose. Beware the 105 degree nose is quite expensive

Tell you what, .... the new electric retracts should fit the new struts I have, but I need the old struts you have for my eflites.... maybe we can swap?

Or I could sell you my eflites and get cliffs electric retracts?? then I have the correct struts to fit!
Hey Parrot Girl, 4 weeks, eh? I wonder how realistic that is? Regarding your suggestion about swapping bits and pieces, I would be willing to consider it, although I think we will have to wait and see what Cliff has to offer. I might end up with the E-Flites too! I did not think the E-Flites were too expensive. I managed to find the mains for US$64 each and the 105 deg nose for US$72, both at Advantage Hobby [link=http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=124072]http://www.advantagehobby.com/product.php?productid=124072[/link] . These are the retract mechanisms only, without the wire struts, as I would make my own adapters anyway.

Did Cliff say that your struts, without a bored hole down the centre, are to suit his new retracts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.