Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New transmission from ETO Armor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New transmission from ETO Armor

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
wsn123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When gearboxes for Tamiya IS-2 would be available?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I am not sure. The unit has to be at an angle and it will take a bit of work on the mounts.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:34 AM
mondo

So long story short, I have a set of these now in a King Tiger. So far very happy with them. Super strong, simple to put in, easy to disassemble, very precise engineering, lots of torque. If a part did fail - which I'd be surprised if it did - the construction means replacement would be a 2 minute job. The thing that surprised me most is how quiet they are. Like a low revving multi tool. No clatter like Impact gears. Probably quiter than the 2A6 self contained assembly.

I've had most of the other types of gear box available and this ETO one is probably the best I've tried. The tank will wear out before these.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 AM
wsn123

Originally Posted by mondo
..... I've had most of the other types of gear box available and this ETO one is probably the best I've tried. The tank will wear out before these.
What is gear ratio in Your gearboxes and what type of motors are inside (400, 480 ? and what rpm)?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM
sevoblast

Final drive to output shafts is 1:1. Reduction gears vary from tank to tank, anywhere from 50:1 to 110:1. Motors are 480, max RPM varies from tank to tank. 540 motors can also be installed for some transmissions depending on customer desires. They are large and take up a lot of room even in a KT.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 AM
wsn123

Originally Posted by sevoblast
I am not sure. The unit has to be at an angle and it will take a bit of work on the mounts.
Yes IS-2 have standard Tamiya gearboxes (like Tiger I) with two special mounts. What is the size of gearboxes (lenght, width , height) - 110:1 ratio and 480 type motors .
Is it possible mount own motors removing pinions from original motors or ordering spare pinions ? (is it for 2,3 mm shaft?)

Last edited by wsn123; 03-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious, what is the current progress?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:49 PM
sevoblast

Machine shop is inundated with work. There is a large order waiting completion plus they have the final drive gears to rework for Panther/JP. I hope to get at least some of the parts later this week and get cracking on the JS and T 55 transmission installation processes.

I replied to Sollie's question in the other thread, but I'll put the specs here also. Gear down for KV is 100:1. Motor is 480 with 2.3 mm shaft. Any 380 or 480 motor brushed motor will work in theory.

Dimensions are:
Length 11.5 cm
Width 8.2 cm
Height 4 cm

This measurement does not include the mounts which vary in length and height depending on the individual tank.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 AM
karel47

i also shared it at my "1/16 rc & static tanks and military vehicles" great stuff could use one for my tamiya FO jagdtiger, looking forward to it

he need power and indistructable motorboxes
space is there enough in the jagdtiger would they fit even with lowered 5mm frontdeck?

Last edited by karel47; 04-12-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 AM
sevoblast

Originally Posted by karel47
i also shared it at my "1/16 rc & static tanks and military vehicles" great stuff could use one for my tamiya FO jagdtiger, looking forward to it

he need power and indistructable motorboxes
space is there enough in the jagdtiger would they fit even with lowered 5mm frontdeck?
Yes, they will fit in the JT with no problems. The transmissions are lower than the top edge of the lower hull and one set is in a JT in USA.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:25 AM
easycure

Hi,

Is it possible to use 540 motors with this transmission in a JagdPanther ?

thanx a lot !
easycure
Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

What speed can I expect in a JP ( once you have them ready) compared to the Stock 'tamiya' speed.

I did a quick run last night With my JP Stock, and wtih the ZUH19( off ebay, so not reworked to fit under jp top hull) And With those it's a bit on the slow side , but I like it . Maybe hard to tell from video, but what would speed be like With those New gearboxes from you Sevoblast ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-f1kEOEy7E
Old 04-13-2015, 09:33 AM
sevoblast

Originally Posted by easycure
Hi,

Is it possible to use 540 motors with this transmission in a JagdPanther ?

thanx a lot !
easycure
I would think so, the 540's are still below the hull top. I'll do a mock up in tomorrow and see for sure. The length may force a repositioning of the electronics, though.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM
sevoblast

Sollie, I will do the calculations tomorrow during the day, but with the usual reductions and motors I would think the JP will be between what you have now with the ZUH19's and the stock TU's. If you want them slower that is possible also, just a motor change is all.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I timed my Jagdpanther with brass gearboxes and the stock motors that came with them at just over 20 mph scale, just a few miles on hour slower than the real thing.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM
sollie

dobb post

Last edited by sollie; 04-13-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 AM
sollie

Good to know Robert , I was hoping for something like that.
what rpm on the included motors again ? ( and did you have optional motors to go With less rpm ?)
I like the crawl like speed I have now With the zu19 , it sounds like the motorsound is 'stressing' to move the tank, and not in 'idle' like when you drive arround With the Stock tamiya setup.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM
mondo

Would 540s work in the King Tiger transmission? Might swap the 480s over if they do. Don't have any 540s myself to experiment.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 PM
sevoblast

Originally Posted by sollie
Good to know Robert , I was hoping for something like that.
what rpm on the included motors again ? ( and did you have optional motors to go With less rpm ?)
I like the crawl like speed I have now With the zu19 , it sounds like the motorsound is 'stressing' to move the tank, and not in 'idle' like when you drive arround With the Stock tamiya setup.
I think you will want the KV setup then, 100:1 reductions and 480 motors at 15000 no load RPM. You should come in above off road speed but have even better control than usual at slow speeds.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM
sevoblast

Originally Posted by mondo
Would 540s work in the King Tiger transmission? Might swap the 480s over if they do. Don't have any 540s myself to experiment.
Yes, they will, but at this time I have only 75:1 reductions to fit the 540's. Work is ongoing to get proper pinions for the 100:1 reductions but it will take some time for the process.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:59 AM
easycure

Originally Posted by sevoblast
I would think so, the 540's are still below the hull top. I'll do a mock up in tomorrow and see for sure. The length may force a repositioning of the electronics, though.
Hello Robert,

Did you have time to do a mock up and check if a 540's fits ?
Do you have the final price of this transmission for a Tamiya JP ?
How can I order this transmission ?

Thanks !
easycure
Old 04-22-2015, 02:30 AM
sevoblast

Originally Posted by easycure
Hello Robert,

Did you have time to do a mock up and check if a 540's fits ?
Do you have the final price of this transmission for a Tamiya JP ?
How can I order this transmission ?
Thanks
easycure
Hi Easy

Price of transmission will be the same as the others, $245 plus shipping. We went to machine shop Monday afternoon and that is why your nuclear flash detector went off. I've been waiting for the few special parts for the Panthe/JP for rather a while, the hull nose area is pretty tight for installation. We'll be back to shop Monday and see if the nuke blast had some effect.

I will try to get to the mock up this afternoon. I've been a bit under the weather for the last couple weeks but things are better now.

Robert
Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 AM
mondo

So cross posting this because I own a set of these and had a chance to run them in over the last few days:

Pros:
You get what you pay for: Incredibly tough and robust design - there is no question of the quality of these. The gear downs are cleverly constructed and self contained and the system is quite modular. I can't honestly see any components breaking in it.
Good quality machining and high quality metals used in construction. I assume from looking at them the steel parts are A4 marine grade steel or equivalent.
Great torque and works well on all surfaces. Can tear up grass! Performance is really very good.
Slower speed than the standard Tamiya boxes but way more torque. Not sure how well these would IR battle but if using metal tracks these are a no brainer.
Easy to disassemble and reassemble, would be very easy to maintain in the future and swap out broken parts (I doubt any parts would break!).
Low profile.
Big, solid sealed bearings.
Quiet! I can't really overstate how quiet these are. It's about the same level of volume as the excellent self contained Tamiya box from the Leo 2A6/Type 10.
Standard axle width so those aftermarket hull mounted bearings will slot on just fine.
Can be dropped straight into the tank (which is a very easy process, far easier than traditional boxes) - although on the ones I had two holes were misaligned but I was assured this was affecting only a couple of sets of these.

Cons:
Design is low profile but takes up considerable space in the tank. A standard 7.2v battery just about fits between the end of the boxes and the side of the speaker box (in a Tamiya King Tiger). Not a big deal by any means.
Only four attachment points on the hull. Not a big deal in the short term but it puts lots of strain on four holes. An additional two down the centre line between the motors might help over time to spread the stress.
Heavier than the standard transmissions so a tougher first and second torsion bar is probably needed. I haven't put them in mine yet but I figure I will need to as there is a visible sag although it's not pronounced.
Supplied hex spacers were fairly weak (all other fasteners were fine though). I managed to twist one off tightening them. The holes are standard metric sizes though so easy to replace.
Supplied grub screws were a mix of cone and flat ended. I also had problems with them working there way out over time. Nothing some threadlock didn't solve but I will try and find some which are a better fit later on.
Price. They are very expensive compared with other options.
One motor had its contacts labelled incorrectly but again, it's very minor and doesn't affect the running.

Overall I think they are really great boxes. Really very happy with them all round - the issues I found with them are all easily be solved. I wouldn't bother with Impact again after these and almost as simple to drop in as the standard boxes.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 AM
sollie

Would low to see a video of this unit in action, anything you can fix Mondo ? Low creep speed and max out , and what not :-)
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 AM
mondo

I'll see what I can do this coming weekend. Tank is dissembled again for painting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.