Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya sound options.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:36 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tamiya sound options.

I had a specific request from a Tamiya owner about adding Benedini sound to his KT electronics. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but this request made me realize that if Tamiya owners wanted to upgrade their sound to Benedini this could be done with a BARC3 and TBS mini,

You would need to parallel all the servo cables with the BARC3, tie in the signal wire from the apple to the signal pin on the BARC3 and the conversion would be complete.

You would then turn off the volume on the Tamiya sound system

All the drive and IR functions would be Tamiya, and the BARC3 encoder and the Benedini would provide all the turret rotation, gun elevation, damage, cannon and engines sounds. This would allow you to add programmable sounds to your Tamiya electronics.

I will do this mod on some Tamiya electronics, and maybe do up a video of it. This would allow you to keep the drive and IR electronics of the Tamiya and allow each user the ability to customize and enhance the sound produced from his Tamiya tank.

Not sure how much interest there would be in this, but it is possible. This would be pretty simple to make up some cabling and make it all plug and play as well.

Cheers

Last edited by YHR; 06-20-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 AM
Green Amphibian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now this is getting interesting.

Herman
Old 06-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds promising Dan!

A few years back I watched a YouTube video of a Jagdtiger set up like that and liked it. It featured more of the grinding, squeaking sounds much like the Tiger on "Saving Private Ryan" had and I really thought it sounded better than a stock Tamiya sound package.

But I would loose the shell loading/discarding file as that was a BIT over-kill for me.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2015, 09:23 AM
wright 971

Hi Dan what a great idea , if you have a set of Tamiya DMD/mf in the drawer but it has the wrong sounds ,great way to change the sounds and save buying another set of DMD/MF units . I do have a set of Sherman units not using them as yet but this gives me more options.
Have you ever tried to make a recoil for the Sherman DMD/MF , If you have the Spektrum DX6I it should be possible to operate a servo recoil if you fit Fire buttons to the radio , all you have to do is mix the 5th channel which you connect the servo to the fire on the DMD/MF .The theory is correct not sure how it works in practice.

regards pete
Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 AM
YHR

You can use the servo recoil of the BARC to run a servo recoil in a Tamiya tank. Or the Benedini has an option to supply the negative pulse to fire a synchronized traditional recoil, so the recoil issue in anything is not a problem at all.

I am going to be building a Sherman next, and I have a Tamiya Sherman DMD set up in the drawer, not being used. I will make this hybrid idea part of the build just to show how it is done as a plug an play add on. Guys then can then decide if they want to use the Tamiya electronics in a new way, using the BARC encoder and the TBS mini. This will leave the Tamiya Battle system in play for the traditionalists.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2015, 03:21 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Cant wait to see how this turns out. I must admit I find the smoothness of the tamiya dmd ( while driving) much better than a clark board. so to be able to par the benedini with the dmd... jojojma
Old 06-20-2015, 03:39 PM
propbreaker

I am diffently interested might be a cheaper option on upgrade my Tamiya king tiger
Old 06-20-2015, 05:40 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I would. As you know, Tamiya uses the same canned sound from their sole King Tiger sound recording session at the Musée des Blindés for their Tiger, King Tiger, and Panther. Discounting the Tiger sounds on Saving Private Ryan (as that wasn't a Tiger), there are plenty of recordings on YouTube that show that the tanks sound different when they are on the move.

You can also do a lighting version that allows modern tank owners to add brake lights, turn signals and hazard light patterns to their tank, like this product below:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...trol/index.htm

The only problem/consideration is that this board has to be really compact because of the cramped conditions inside most tanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by cleong
I would. As you know, Tamiya uses the same canned sound from their sole King Tiger sound recording session at the Musée des Blindés for their Tiger, King Tiger, and Panther. Discounting the Tiger sounds on Saving Private Ryan (as that wasn't a Tiger), there are plenty of recordings on YouTube that show that the tanks sound different when they are on the move.

You can also do a lighting version that allows modern tank owners to add brake lights, turn signals and hazard light patterns to their tank, like this product below:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...trol/index.htm

The only problem/consideration is that this board has to be really compact because of the cramped conditions inside most tanks.

There is no new board to develop. The Benedini and BARC in their current configuration can be used. The Benedini has the ability to control brake lights and signal lights. Also volume control from your transmitter has always been available, but it is something I only uncovered recently when I added more control features on the BARC4.

Also Jeff with any of the programmable cards the reload sound is something you can delete if it doesn't suite you. What sounds are played are totally in your control. I quit adding the reload. I also doubt you could hear a light switch being turned on and off from outside the tank, so I don't have a sound played when the lights are turned on either.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 AM
sollie

Here are some Clips of what can be done on the soundside in a tamiya With Benedini. ( hope you don't mind YHR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LORIoDMZes
looking fw to follow this .
Old 06-21-2015, 05:47 AM
YHR

That is nice sound file. With the addition of a BARC encoder all the other auxiliary sounds will also be provided by the Benedini. They will play seemlessly as required without having to use the manual sound address selection method.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:32 PM
YHR

I spent some time and put this theory to the test on the workbench today. I was able to parallel everything up and get the BARC/Benedini working in tandem with my Tamiya electronics. Cannon, elevation sounds, turret rotation and everything worked seamlessly. I just unplugged the speaker for the Tamiya electronics and plugged it into the Benedini.

What I haven't tested is the battle system yet. I am building a Sherman and will use this set up in that, I can then comment on how the IR works. The issue is getting the hit and destroy sounds to play correctly. I don't think this will be an issue, but until I actually have it working I don't want to jump the gun and say it will.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:24 PM
YHR

OK got the Apple patched in and the Benedini can supply custom hit and destroy sounds as well. Tested it against another tank on the bench and this hybrid set up is seemless. The Tamiya electronics and IR system are in play and the BARC/Benedini are handling all the associated sounds. So this means that Tamiya users can now add a Benedini to their tanks to customize a complete soundset to differentiate their tanks from stock Tamiyas.

The Tamiya TBU base even has exposed pins to solder to allowing the daisy chaining of the BARC and MFU IR receiver pins. This was very simple.

I will do up a tutorial on my web page showing what you need to do. A programmable radio that allows you to adjust end points is key for getting the Cannon to fire correctly. The HK T6A worked great for this experiment,

IF you remember the original DBC was designed to piggy back off the RX18. When the DBC Morphed into the BARC and a Benedini sound encoder, I overlooked the fact that this set up can now piggy back off Tamiya electronics to supply Benedini sound to the Tamiya electronics. Again let me say the Tamiya IR battle system is in use and the BARC is only encoding the receiver signals to play the appropriate sound addresses.

With one IR receiver Y cable that will need to be made up, this is all plug and play with no soldering required.

Last edited by YHR; 06-21-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 PM
YHR

Found a way to play the Benedini sounds through the Tamiya amp. So great Benedini sound at Tamiya levels.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 AM
sollie

Sounds good .

teaser video ? :-)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:15 AM
YHR

Sure. I will try an clean up the wiring a bit, as the project is still very much in experimenters stage, and then post a video of it.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 AM
YHR

Here is a quick video demo of the set up. This is all plug and play using servo cables. No soldering is required. So the Tamiya guys can now up grade to programmable sound and use their stock Tamiya electronics with no modification needed unless you want to tie into the Tamiya amp. This requires you to solder one input pin to the Tamiya volume control.

So with this you can add any tank sound to an existing Tamiya set of electronics. As in the Demo this M4 system is producing sounds for a Tiger.

Excuse the mess as this is right after the development phase of this . The rats nest of servo cables can be routed and cleaned up in a tank install

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKt2iIfeYBw

Last edited by YHR; 06-22-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Green Amphibian

That is very good news Dan. The sound volume is great and it enables us to use different sounds in any of the Tamyia boards? I may have to get a tutorial so I can have someone do it for me. I'm still trying to get servo elevation to work right in a Tamyia Sherman and DX6i.

Herman
Old 06-22-2015, 01:36 PM
sollie

slowly clapping my hands here
Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Cool I like it. The new boards out are nice but ether to complicated on the controls or just to many functions that i'm not going to use on a battle tank and being able to use Tamiya electronics that you have laying around very good ideal with being able to change the sounds to match the tank you can now add the correct sound to any tank .

Thanks
Jimmy

Last edited by bowlman; 06-23-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:16 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Dan, are you closed to sales for the summer? As posted on your site?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:13 PM
YHR

I am on vacation, and because I won't be answering email as quickly as I normally do I just thought it was better to close rather than disappoint people on my tardiness.

IF there is something that you need just let me know. As long as you don't mind waiting a bit, I will get to your order. As usual I never ask for money until the items are packaged and ready to ship, so no fear I will be holding on to your funds for an extrordinate amount of time
Old 08-23-2015, 05:03 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi Dan have you made up instructions for this yet I know your site is closed for the summer .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 08-23-2015, 05:27 PM
YHR

Hi Jimmy

Not yet, but if you can plug in servo cables then this is pretty easy to do. You basically have to parallel everything up to a BARC, and then solder an additional 5 wire cable to the Tamiya TBU. This is very easy as Tamiya as conveniently left the pins exposed to allow and additional cable to be solder on quite easily.

If you are interested email me.

Cheers
Old 10-30-2019, 04:57 AM
jerryrigged

Originally Posted by YHR
I had a specific request from a Tamiya owner about adding Benedini sound to his KT electronics. I don't know why I never thought of this before, but this request made me realize that if Tamiya owners wanted to upgrade their sound to Benedini this could be done with a BARC3 and TBS mini,

You would need to parallel all the servo cables with the BARC3, tie in the signal wire from the apple to the signal pin on the BARC3 and the conversion would be complete.

You would then turn off the volume on the Tamiya sound system

All the drive and IR functions would be Tamiya, and the BARC3 encoder and the Benedini would provide all the turret rotation, gun elevation, damage, cannon and engines sounds. This would allow you to add programmable sounds to your Tamiya electronics.

I will do this mod on some Tamiya electronics, and maybe do up a video of it. This would allow you to keep the drive and IR electronics of the Tamiya and allow each user the ability to customize and enhance the sound produced from his Tamiya tank.

Not sure how much interest there would be in this, but it is possible. This would be pretty simple to make up some cabling and make it all plug and play as well.

Cheers
There's a ton of interest in this mod! I've been searching for this information for 2 years now and no one seems to know how to do this with Tamiya tanks! I have 6 Tamiya tanks that I want to modify to the more realistic sound offerings out there!! A video would be great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.