Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am in the same position of not wanting to bite the hand that is "feeding" this project... but at the same time there is a minimum standard of decency and competency that must be met. Hopefully for the good of everyone HK will be able to resolve this satisfactorily soon.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

You would think they would want the boards back so they could swap out the wrong parts for the right once's .
Then send them back out and eat the cost it was there mess up .
Jimmy
Old 07-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeZ
Yes, I am in the same position of not wanting to bite the hand that is "feeding" this project... but at the same time there is a minimum standard of decency and competency that must be met. Hopefully for the good of everyone HK will be able to resolve this satisfactorily soon.

They did issue a refund today. just don't want to see the project jeopardized because of this... I haven't received anything saying I need to return anything but
I will sit on the boards for a while.

Jerry
Old 07-25-2017, 07:28 PM
LukeZ

That's great news! Thanks Jerry for letting me know. Nothing jeopardized, it was Hobby King themselves who promised a refund to all customers.

Hobby King has said nothing to me about asking customers to return boards. I can't imagine that would make any financial sense, either for them to pay to ship it back or to pay a laborer to perform fine solder work on eight components per board when the odds of making it worse would be substantial.

If you have the ability to repair your own board, more power to you. Most will not be able to. Either way the refund was deserved and I'm glad to hear they've started issuing them.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 AM
bradgreene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HK also approved my claim and returned the 54.00 as store credit. Like Jerry, I don't want to complain too much as I don't want to jeopardize this open source project and I usually buy a lot of things from HK anyway. They also didn't mention anything about returning the board.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 AM
LukeZ

Brad, it is definitely not complaining to expect a refund when that is what they themselves offered and promised. We do know some refunds have been given out, even some to people who initially received store credit instead. So perhaps in time yours will appear as well.

I got no response from HK to my repeated emails this week asking for updates on this issue. At this point Friday is over with in their timezone so that's it for this week. I wish I had more information to pass along, unfortunately I only know what they tell me and throughout this entire process that has been "not much."

Rest assured I will keep hassling them.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:11 AM
Springman65

Originally Posted by bradgreene
HK also approved my claim and returned the 54.00 as store credit. Like Jerry, I don't want to complain too much as I don't want to jeopardize this open source project and I usually buy a lot of things from HK anyway. They also didn't mention anything about returning the board.
Well, I have an odd situation......

I went to the HK website and reviewed my order and it was cancelled. But, I got the TCB in the mail yesterday and when I checked my card, it had been debted the $58.## and there was not return credit as of this posting...and I made my order some time ago.... I have sent an email of inquire to HK...so there I am.....

I do not like this stat of affairs, I have to say. I think HK should send ALL the purchaser some sort of mass email to let us know they are aware and working to resolve the issue - something.

As for the bad TCB, I gues I can use it for planning and sizing????

Springman
Old 07-30-2017, 10:28 AM
LukeZ

Brad and Springman, I've sent you a short PM, please respond at your convenience. I will contact Hobby King about your orders specifically.

If anyone else has still not received a refund for their order please PM me with your real name and I will follow up with Hobby King for you as well.

Edit: if you don't mind, maybe also send me your order number.

Last edited by LukeZ; 07-30-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Tanque

I've order the replacement mosfets. I also ordered most of the parts for the Scout, safe the those from Ali and Banggood...

I'll let you know what happens when I get in the assembly mode. Some of the esc parts list( I like being able to upload a an Excel doc)
was back ordered- a run on esc parts??

Jerry
Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 AM
Springman65

Luke, PM sent. And, I am quite sure it will get sorted out.

Springman
Old 07-31-2017, 06:21 AM
bowlman

I ordered one on 7/12/17 just a few days before they pulled it of the web site I have not gotten a refund nor do I know if its even shipped when looking at order on Hobby Kings site it shows ordered and when try to track it it shows nothing .
Jimmy
Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 AM
LukeZ

Springman your PM didn't come through for whatever reason... maybe issues with RCU website. Could you resend?

Jimmy, could you also PM me your name and HK order number?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 AM
bowlman

LukeZ
PM sent
Old 08-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Lotuswins

Hi Luke,
I just got my board from Hobbyking, it took 3 weeks to get it here (they shipped in Netherlands Post?? really??), so that is good. It, of course has the wrong Mosfets, so I ordered them just now along with all the elements for the Scout control board. So, I'm on my way on this adventure, sounds like fun. My question is on the PPM receiver. I have turnigy 9x on all my tanks, one for german, one for russian, etc. I really don't want to change the transmitter module on the back of the transmitter. Would you have any recommendations on how I can keep that module, and still interface to the Open Panzer board? Is there a receiver that outputs PPM and is compatible with the stock 9x transmitter? or is it possible to use a converter from PWM to PPM?

thanks for any help,

Jerry Rude
Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM
LukeZ

HI Jerry, I'm assuming you have the Turnigy 9X that has the antenna routed through the radio and up through the top. Sadly there is no known PPM-compatible receiver for these modules that I am aware of. Years ago the Hobby King HK-TR6A receiver provided PPM on the battery output, it was an undocumented feature but it did work. For whatever reason this feature was removed sometime around 2011 (so a very long time ago now). Several people myself included have asked Hobby King over the years if they would restore that feature, but it's never happened.

To my knowledge, and as it says in the Wiki, the only way to use the 9X radio with the TCB is to use an aftermarket module.

Although I have not tried them there are indeed PWM->PPM converters, here is one someone mentioned to me the other day in the RC Tank Warfare thread: Hobby King Signal Converter

It's untested but should work. It will require lots of wires though.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM
bowlman

Got the box today and the email from Hobby King they want the board back and will give me a refund and cost of shipping after they get the board back .
Jimmy
Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by bowlman
Got the box today and the email from Hobby King they want the board back and will give me a refund and cost of shipping after they get the board back .
Jimmy
Oooo ouch...thought that wouldn't happen?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM
LukeZ

I have no idea what they are doing. I get next to no communication from them. They respond to about one out of every three emails I send, and the response is invariably a single line, always unhelpful, and never accurate.

I can only surmise they are dealing haphazardly and randomly with individual customers. I raised Jimmy's case with them earlier this week. The reply was "he never filed a claim." That was all. I still don't think he's filed a claim, but I guess this is the route they've chosen for him to get one. They have not told me anything about it, nor have they yet said to me once that any boards will be requested back.

Others have still not received a refund, even after filing for one, nor given the option of one.

The original factory mistake was inexcusable, but it was just that - a mistake. Hobby King's (or my contact's) handling of the issue since then has been a debacle, and seems to be willful indifference and incompetence. I'm truly at my wits end with them.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:40 AM
bowlman

I did not file a claim with them cause at the time the TCB was not delivered to me yet and was waiting tell they ether contacted me or had TCB in hand . At that time from what I seen from here they were not asking for a return of the board now it looks like they are. I got the emails like 4 of them on Aug 1st from Hobby King and the TCB came in the mail 2 days later I'm not sending it back tell next week they give you 30 days to return it .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 AM
Springman65

Originally Posted by LukeZ
I have no idea what they are doing. I get next to no communication from them. They respond to about one out of every three emails I send, and the response is invariably a single line, always unhelpful, and never accurate.

I can only surmise they are dealing haphazardly and randomly with individual customers. I raised Jimmy's case with them earlier this week. The reply was "he never filed a claim." That was all. I still don't think he's filed a claim, but I guess this is the route they've chosen for him to get one. They have not told me anything about it, nor have they yet said to me once that any boards will be requested back.

Others have still not received a refund, even after filing for one, nor given the option of one.

The original factory mistake was inexcusable, but it was just that - a mistake. Hobby King's (or my contact's) handling of the issue since then has been a debacle, and seems to be willful indifference and incompetence. I'm truly at my wits end with them.

Yah, I am still sort-of in limbo on my order - i can tell if it was or wasn't refunded until I get my next credit card statement.....
I would think that if they cancel an order, then they would provide proof of refund, but I got NADA.

I have to ask: IS HOBBYKING OUR ONLY OPTION GOING FORWARD?

Springman
Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 AM
bowlman

I got a email again from Hobby King Sunday asking why I have not contacted them and that I had 24 hours to reply I'm out of town for work tell Thursday Aug 10th.
I sent them a reply stating such in one of the emails it said I had 30 days to return item to them for refund did not know they wanted a quick reply and they should of been contacting everyone who ordered one in the first place before LukeZ had to do it .
jimmy
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM
LukeZ

This is the email I received this evening from my contact at Hobby King, Richard Mahmoud:

Luke,

We received an update from our CS team yesterday, and they have confirmed every customer that has contacted them has been given a full refund.

If you have someone approaching you regarding not been given a full refund, as advised previously provide me with their name and order number and I will check with our CS team. Also any documentation from our CS team that they have been sent advising they will only get store credit This is being handled like all other products that customers raise with us as faulty. in this situation we have given a full refund.

Richard Mahmoud
His information contradicts directly what at least half a dozen people have told me in PMs and emails. At this point I am no longer going to do Hobby King's customer service work for them. If you still have not received a CASH refund, please PM me on this forum or any other, and I will give you Richard's email address and you can write to him directly.

Luke

Old 08-09-2017, 04:59 AM
Springman65

PM sent Luke....and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.....

So, have you had a chance to do anymore work on the OSS?

Maybe the set-back with HK could lead to a TCB2 with an integrated OSS.......?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS!

Springman
Old 08-09-2017, 06:05 AM
bowlman

Wow this keeps changing almost every day now they don't want the TCB back witch is ok with me .
And I get a refund still and don't have to drive to the post office in town .
Thanks
Jimmy
Your request has been updated.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, please visit www.HobbyKing.com

Jovy, Aug 9, 09:12 HKT:
Hi Jimmy,

Alright, we will wait you to send back the item and please let us know the tracking number for reference. Thank you

Best Regards,

Jovy.
HobbyKing Support TeamFor self help on your Hobbyking.com inquiries, you may also check our Help Center. Simply log in to your account, click Contact Us, and click the Customer Support Center link.

bowlman45, Aug 7, 11:26 HKT:
I'm out of town for work tell Thursday Aug 10th will send TCB board back
then .
Thanks
Jimmy Miller

Jovy, Aug 2, 11:54 HKT:
Hi Jimmy,This email refers to your order # 100629504, regarding to warranty claim about the item 1 x 9171001339-0. Please note that we have created you a RMA to document your case however, we need you to send back the item for further checking. Please do not worry, we will return the returning shipping fee through store credits. All you need to do is choose cheapest courier with tracking number and provide us the copy of the receipt.The resolution once we have receive the item will be; Full refund for the amount of your order and refund through store credits for the return shipping fee. We will wait for your response regarding this case. Thank youPlease contact us again if you have other questions.

Best Regards,

Jovy.
HobbyKing Support TeamFor self help on your Hobbyking.com inquiries, you may also check our Help Center. Simply log in to your account, click Contact Us, and click the Customer Support Center link.
This email is a service from HobbyKing Support Centre. [J9485M-367E] Now at 2AM TODAYHello bowlman45,We'd love to hear what you think of our customer service. Please take a moment to answer one simple question by clicking either link below:How would you rate the support you received?

Good, I'm satisfied

Bad, I'm unsatisfied

Here's a reminder of what your ticket was about:

Eulogio R., Aug 9, 14:02 HKT:
Hi Jimmy ,I hope you are doing fine. I am sending this email to you in relation to your claim with RMA ID: xxxxxxxxxxxx. The amount of $54 was requested to be refunded back to your payment method. Please regularly check your account for the possible updates. No need to send the item PRODUCT ID: 9171001339-0 back.I am looking forward for you to receive the requested amount.

Kind regards,

Eulogio R.
HobbyKing Support TeamFor self help on your HobbyKing inquiries, you may also check our Help Center by clicking "24 hour Support Centre" on the upper right part of our website.
This email is a service from HobbyKing Support Centre. [J94RR9-0R3X]
Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Springman65

Yah! I sent an inquiry to Richard today and filed the claim again.....I am starting to have bad thoughts on how this will end.....

Springman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.