Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 PM
madmax22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

well.......I get about 9-12 mins on a run. maybe more. im usually having to much fun to keep track of time.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

ok well i have an st-1 and a buggy and i wanted a starter box for it and was wondering if i need to mod the engine or if i can just leave the pull starter on for the starter box. and i dont really care about weight. i really want a starter box because i hate the fact that you have to start the car and then put the body on then when you are almost done putting the body on the car dies. so far i put like 20 1/6 of an inch holes in the front windshield for air and i cut out the wholeleft side window so i could get at the fuel tank and for more air flow
Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 PM
twomanytoys

Get a roto start.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 PM

can you give me a link to everything i would need to have a roto start to work on my st-1 and what about mine and my dads 1/8 buggies
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
kbreese

ORIGINAL: kbreese

1.) Can I just follow the directions in the manual and I will be ok or is there alot more to know than is in the manual (just talking general setup here)
Any response on this? I know some manuals are almost useless to noobs. How is this one?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the manual for the st-1 is great.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 PM
kbreese

I hope its easier to work on than this traxxas stampede. Just changing to ball bearings was a PITA! I can't stand those little stupid e-clips, lol. And all the tiny little washers...
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM
madmax22

you will have fun with it! you might want to start buying your fuel in gallons not in quarts.

How do you guys waterproof your servos/on/off switch and the battery pack???? because we just got 4inches of nice snow and i want to make some huge jumps but not sure how to water proof. balloons???
Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 PM
ericem

Get WD40 spray the switch, servo's randomly and the receiver box is sealed plenty tight for snow and most water but not tight enough to submerge your truck into water hehe. Also spray the rest of the truck randomly with WD40 like the axles and chassis. Then when you come in let it dry out for a few minutes lying against a wall so the water drains out. Then give another coat of WD40 randomly throughout the truck. That's all. No need to seal with silicone and all. WD40 is a water repellent.

I have driven my truck SOOOOOOO many times in deep snow and barried it and nothing goes wrong everything is sealed just fine just use the WD40! Your airfilter will get wet as well but don't worry about that either lol. When you come in just take off the air filter and spray wd40 down the carb and dry out the air filter.

It does seem to be a great deal. I just bought the RTR St-1 for $264 from Amain (after the discount code). This will be my very first Nitro car, and the first R/C I have had in about 20 years (other than the Stampede I bought my G/F last year).

Being a total noob, I have a couple questionsI was hoping you guys could help me out with:

1.) Can I just follow the directions in the manual and I will be ok or is there alot more to know than is in the manual (just talking general setup here)

2.) Any tips or tricks with this model in particular? The sotries of failed servos and pull starts breaking had me a little concerned.

For the record I also bought this with it:

1 x Trinity Monster Horsepower 20% Nitro Fuel (One Quart) (TRIMH0020) =
> $8.99
> 1 x Team Orion Marathon 1600MAh 1/8 Off Road Stick Receiver Pack
[ORI12228] Low Price: $24.99
> 2 x Thunder Tiger Redline R2 Glow Plug (TTR9281) = $11.98
> 1 x Racers Edge 4.4Ah Metered Glow Ignitor w/110V Charger (Red)
> (RCE10563R) = $25.99
>TTRPD2320 Wing mount, $8.75
>Pro-Line high downforce wing, yellow: $13.99
YES! of course you can! The instruction manual it comes with is very good and accurate especially the suspension tuning section.

Item's you have look good! Your good to go stock servo's perform awesome as well as the motor as mentioned (woooooo alot of as ) Servo's are metal geared and high torque. Plenty fast for steering you might want faster if you get into serious racing.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Goronok

Whats wrong with the stock motor?
My brother received the ST-1 for Christmas this year and while the .28 engine that comes with the kit has many strengths, it certainly has a few weaknesses as well. The engine was a royal PITA to break in, breaking the pullstart quite a few times in the process. Now that the engine has been broken in, it seems to run alright, but won't hold a tune .. atleast nothing like the O.S/R.B engines I've run in my personal Truggies. (Duh, obviously) The engine does put out plenty of power and for a cheaper power plant it does just fine, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a "Great" engine.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
kbreese

See thats what I was talking about. you broke "quite a few" pull starts? LOL. And this is a new car. i have heard this a few times. What did you have to do keep ordering and isntalling new pull starters?

Also, you said it won't hold a tune?? ughh...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
truggy man

To all you St-1 owners I wish you a happy new year. I've noticed a lot of new in the tread after christmas. You've got a great car.
To jombo, ericem, way2fast,itchy,two many toys, fourwheel, mad max and all others special active. Keep up the good works.

PS. Can't wait enough for warmer weather to run in my new lrp truggy engine.(BTW the stock engine is a solid rock, but now its time for replace it after a year with a trusted engine.)
Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 PM
truggy man

The pull start can be a tough one.
For me it was the best solution to buy a starter box.
The truggy starter from Ofna is great. Gave me a new satisfaction to RC, compared to broken pullstart.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM
ericem

Thanks! and same to you Truggy man!

To fix the pullstart issue, don't pull it farther then half of the length of the cord, that is the best solution. So when it's new pull it all the way till it stops slowly then mark with a black marker the mid point and don't pull past that. The key to a reliable pullstart is not pulling it to far.

Here is a good tip while starting, plug the exhaust with your finger and pull the pullstart, until you see fuel has hit the carb, then pull it 2 more times while you are plugging the ehxaust to prime the engine. Then put your ignitor in, and have someone giving it throttle or you can give it throttle hold the controller in your hand and rest your hand on the center diff or on your ignitor or whereever you feel you can hold the truck down best while pulling the pullstart. Should start up right away!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 PM
way2fastrcz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: truggy man

To all you St-1 owners I wish you a happy new year. I've noticed a lot of new in the tread after christmas. You've got a great car.
To jombo, ericem, way2fast,itchy,two many toys, fourwheel, mad max and all others special active. Keep up the good works.

PS. Can't wait enough for warmer weather to run in my new lrp truggy engine.(BTW the stock engine is a solid rock, but now its time for replace it after a year with a trusted engine.)

Happy New year to you all as well! Gonna break-in my new RTR tomorrow if the weather isn't bad
Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 PM
ericem

It will be bad lol. There calling for like 10 cm. There is a snowfall warning in effect For me it's all fun all the vehicles we have are 4x4 and AWD and I have a nice snowblower I picked up from someone on kijiji.ca for $200.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:21 PM
way2fastrcz

You're right! I just checked the weather network and it's calling for snow tonight and tomorrow...CRAP! I was really looking forward to taking the ST-1 for a run.

[:@]
Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 PM
ericem

What is stopping you? Sure isn't going to stop me! xD
Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 PM
way2fastrcz

The cold will stop me if it's bad...but it only looks to be around the freezing mark. When I first started in the hobby I wouldn't care but now...I don't know!
LOL. I must be getting old!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 PM
kbreese

ORIGINAL: ericem

Thanks! and same to you Truggy man!

To fix the pullstart issue, don't pull it farther then half of the length of the cord, that is the best solution. So when it's new pull it all the way till it stops slowly then mark with a black marker the mid point and don't pull past that. The key to a reliable pullstart is not pulling it to far.

Here is a good tip while starting, plug the exhaust with your finger and pull the pullstart, until you see fuel has hit the carb, then pull it 2 more times while you are plugging the ehxaust to prime the engine. Then put your ignitor in, and have someone giving it throttle or you can give it throttle hold the controller in your hand and rest your hand on the center diff or on your ignitor or whereever you feel you can hold the truck down best while pulling the pullstart. Should start up right away!

Are you talking about the initial starts of a new one to break it on, or always?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 PM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

happy new year to you truggyman and all the other st-1 owners. burn some nitro!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 PM
ericem

[/quote]

Are you talking about the initial starts of a new one to break it on, or always?

[/quote]

Always!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 PM
madmax22

2-4 inches tonight hopefully no school wed. and its about 11:40PM here happy new year!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 PM
ericem

I don't start school until next week!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:39 AM

i dont start till jan 7th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.