Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Thunder tiger ST-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 PM
jaywax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder tiger ST-1

My new LRP Z.28 Spec 3 came in yesterday. I heard so much about them that I had to order one. It was only $159 w/free shipping at ultimatehobbies. My Axial .28 Spec 1 runs like a champ, but I wanted to try a new powerhouse. I will run the Axial for a few more races and then stick in the new beast. I will post the updates.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Baja5BLST

yeah st-1's are nice , fast guy congrats on getting quality trucks but if you dont mind i would like to offer my semi-expert opinion. first you may want to upgrade engine size by .01 cc to a .28 engine. second the pillow balls in the front are a bit of a buggy carry-over not true race truck standards so if you're able to get a kingpin conversion for your trucks i think that you like them even better if you do. i don't mean to flame anybody over their truck it's just that in a truggy no matter the size, style, or brand, a kingpin front, almost always (99.9% of the time) proves itself far superior to the pillow ball not so much on performance but in race feature, my point; its not a weak spot on the truck it just deprives the truck and the driver of the tunability and the noticible ackermann that they could have with the kingpin design. (ackermann is when the inside wheel "lays" to the side for better corner in such as that found on 2wd stadium trucks and buggies) yeah st-1's are nice , fast guy congrats on getting quality trucks but if you dont mind i would like to offer my semi-expert opinion. first you may want to upgrade engine size by .01 cc to a .28 engine. second the pillow balls in the front are a bit of a buggy carry-over not true race truck standards so if you're able to get a kingpin conversion for your trucks i think that you like them even better if you do. i don't mean to flame anybody over their truck it's just that in a truggy no matter the size, style, or brand, a kingpin front, almost always (99.9% of the time) proves itself far superior to the pillow ball not so much on performance but in race feature, my point; its not a weak spot on the truck it just deprives the truck and the driver of the tunability and the noticible ackermann that they could have with the kingpin design. (ackermann is when the inside wheel "lays" to the side for better corner in such as that found on 2wd stadium trucks and buggies)
Coming from a guy named "traxxasracer", I don't know how qualified anything he says is.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM
gofastracer

jaywax - good luck with the new powerplant

baja - exactly!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
redfox03

hey guys! i have a few questions about the st-1. i plan on ordering one from my lhs tomorrow, im getting the RTR version. dont need all the carbon fiber of the pro version. i already have my own electronics that i plan on putting in it to replace the stock stuff. so how does this truck run? turning, acceleration, is it pretty lite compared to the other truggies out there? i've read about the richard saxton steering mod, have any of you tried this? also, what other bodies would fit, would the pro line desert rat body that fits the mgt/lst fit it? i know the crowd pleazer body for the mbx-5t will fit.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:37 PM
traxxasracer_4

first why would you flame me like that? second i wasnt knocking anything about the trucks they're great trucks its just that pillow balls arent normally on a truggy mostly on buggy to truggy conversions which the st-1 IS NOT. and some that ive seen racing against a kingpin truggy have seperated at the pillow joint leaving you limping across the finish line way after the other kingpin trucks have finished.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 PM
slinger22

i have read your post 4 times now and i still don't completely understand it. but i will forward it on to Mugen corporate offices and let them know about their inferior design...do you mean c hub instead of kingpin? kingpin makes me think of ofna mutilator and older buggy, and i think the first thing that mutilator owners do is lose the kingpin and upgrade the fornt end.....but that is just an opinion from a non semi-expert. don't take offense to it but you were fairly confident with your answers...and the buggy carryover comment is still the most confusing thing to me...aren't truggies based of 1/8 scale buggy platforms? anyway, i will stay away from the post, i just wanted once chance to respond and you can hash it out with everyone else
Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 PM
traxxasracer_4

when i say kingpin i refer to the setup of the x1-crt if you go to ofna.com and click on the x1-crt link you might understand the pictures
Old 07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
traxxasracer_4

as for the buggy crossover thing. almost every new truggy has a similar name as a buggy counter part 8ight and 8ight-t for example but upon closer inspection you relize that they arent as similar as their names imply
Old 07-15-2007, 12:13 AM
ItchyBum

Hey Jaywax i just swapped my OS30 for my dads NOSRAM RS.28 MONSTER EVO 8+1 port which is the same motor as the LRP ZR.28 SPEC 3. Wow what a difference. The thing almost does wheelies its an absolute land rocket very hard to stop now but. I swapped it back to test the OS again and it just wanted to wheelspin. The SPEC 3 is a way better engine for the weight of the st1 being fairly light. i havent tuned it properly yet but i can easily get about 7-8 minutes run time. is yours the spec 3 truggy version?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:44 AM
jaywax

ORIGINAL: ItchyBum

Hey Jaywax i just swapped my OS30 for my dads NOSRAM RS.28 MONSTER EVO 8+1 port which is the same motor as the LRP ZR.28 SPEC 3. Wow what a difference. The thing almost does wheelies its an absolute land rocket very hard to stop now but. I swapped it back to test the OS again and it just wanted to wheelspin. The SPEC 3 is a way better engine for the weight of the st1 being fairly light. i havent tuned it properly yet but i can easily get about 7-8 minutes run time. is yours the spec 3 truggy version?
Yes, I have the truggy version. I raced it last night, but had some problems with the carb. The carb was leaking bad and was causing motor to run very erratic. I tried to seal it up and it still continued to leak. Also, my front bearings were leaking as well. It ran great the first two qualifiers. It has a lot of power and revs high. The LRP Z.28R Spec 3 is a great engine, I just got one that was defected. I have cleaned and packaged the engine to send back. Do not let my experience change any opinions on the LRP. It was running perfect until the carb and bearings starting acting weird. These things happen in mass production.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 PM
narn

By the way, the st-1 is a truggy conversion of the Thunder Tiger's eb4 s3 buggly.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: narn

By the way, the st-1 is a truggy conversion of the Thunder Tiger's eb4 s3 buggly.
No its not.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:26 PM
fat1

Jaywax,

I had that same problem with the stock TTR .28. I had already broken the pullstart so I went with a starterbox that you reccomended. I damn near ground the wheel down to dimesize tryin to get this thing to start and idle consistently, let alone run at all. It would run lean and hot no matter what the needles were set at. I talked to a (very nice and helpful) guy at the customer service department who did everything he could but I had to pack it up and sen it in as well. The whole point of this ramble was I was debating between the LRP/axial/dynamite(platinum)/OS30. It was hard to find info on some of these and considering three of those are in the same family as the one I just sent back I went with OS hoping to get a little more reliability. When then the TTR.28 was running I wasn't totally sure I could handle all the power that it had, I hadnt driven one of these for 5 or 6 years so I'm not too concerned with power at this point, low end grunt is what I'll need as Ill be accelerating alot after I flip my truck back on all four wheels .

Again, the point of this ramble is after you get enough time with the LRP, you'll have to let me know what you think compared directly to the Axial (didnt you have a picco at one point?). You may want to go ahead and buy a dynamite platinum, Picco .28FT, STS .28, and an OS 30VG so you can give me all those comparisons as well . I'm waiting to hear what ace is going to do about the engine, Im not sure if theyll send a new one out or repair mine. My only concern is that this thing is ten days old and barely had two tanks through it, I would be concerned how much damage the high temp and lean carb did to it, I hope they replace it. I didnt want to wait or risk being without an engine again so I went ahead and bought one, if they send me a new one I may sell it and if they just fix mine I'll keep it as a spare.

I still love this truck and would buy it again, like you said, these things happen. For me, it just sucked because the dust hadnt settled with the wife yet and I needed to drop almost as much as I paid for the truck again to get it running (you know I had to buy a JP-2 pipe with the engine, of course)
Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 PM
jasrx

Well heres my new toy[ the FG MT has been sold] , iv allready started to buy some bits for it
i put my spectrum Dx3 reciver in it , but left the kit servo`s in [ as there 8kg metal geared ones- and do quite well] iv only ran a tank and a half in it so far..
new parts are:
Pro-line Crime Fighter MTR tires
Pro-line Velocity 17mm 1/2 offset rims
Thunder Tiger Red Aluminum Lightened Steering Ackerman Plate w/Bearings
Thunder Tiger Red Aluminum Rear Plate Rear Transmission (RR+2)
Thunder Tiger Red Aluminum Front Plate Rear Transmission (RF0)
Thunder Tiger 1/8 Rear Wing, Black
Thunder Tiger Extended Rear Wing Mount, ST-1

***i have the following coming***

pro-line 40 series dirt hawgs [ for bashing]
pro-line 40 series Wabash Wheels [ for bashing]
Thunder Tiger 1/8 Aluminum Clutch Shoes (3)
Thunder Tiger Red Aluminum Rear Plate Front Transmission (FR0)
Thunder Tiger Front/Rear Shock Retaining Pins, ST-1
Thunder Tiger Front/Rear Shock Standoffs, ST-1
Thunder Tiger Front Shock Set (2) ST-1
Thunder Tiger Rear Shock Set (2) ST-1
[ above 2 is so i can run 2 shocks per corner ] as it have provisions for them so why not use them lol
but heres my truggy in stock form .

Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 PM
redfox03

you know you can mount a wing on there without getting the extended wing mount? i'll be getting mine towards the end of the week, i also chose the purple body. but to mount the wing without the extended mount, just get some more body post and put them on the rear shock tower. there are holes on it for mounts, then drill two new holes in the rear on the body and you can use the wing mount that came with the truck now. that's what im gonna try. im going to order the posts tonight or tomorrow so i can have it when my truck gets here. how do you like it so far jas?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 AM
jaywax

Does the TTR ST-1 Pro Kit come with a body?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:30 AM
redfox03

yeah, comes with a clear one.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 AM
jasrx

redfox03
i like it a lot [ even tho im still cycling/bedding the engine in still] im glad i sold the FG MT now as that thing used to handle like a brick on wheels . But the ST1 seems like it handles rather well , soon ill do some flight testing to see how it likes the air up there lol..
Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 AM
jaywax

Here is some video footage of this weekends races at our local track. My TTR ST-1 looks sweet in high-def. The guy who films our races does a fantastic job.

http://www.pro****-racing.org/NCRC-Sights&Carnage.html
Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 PM
dirthead

Hey guys I just ran about 20 tanks through my new Axial .28 spec RR.... WOW1!!! this thing reminds me of my Surefire .32, tons of torque, and serious top end, I have it coupled with a JP-2, and they work well together. The trug TTR ST-1 PRO is stupid-tough, the guys at my local track can't believe the punishment this thing can take without breaking!! I might have converted some die-hard HPI racers . They've been tiger bitten[>:] lol!! The only complaint I have is the body is not the best, mine has stress cracks all through it after only a few tanks. Besides that this thing is pretty bulletproof!!
Here it is pictured with my now sold Matrix.
Good racin everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79611.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	725148  
Old 07-18-2007, 01:26 AM
jaywax

Dirthead,

Even though my RTR has most of the red aluminum hop ups, I want to get the St-1 Pro Kit. I have my ST-1 on ebay now. I put a reserve price on it so that I do not get totally screwed, but it is really low. I just want a new kit.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:17 AM
ItchyBum

Jaywax,
That was a sick video man, edited all good and everything but i reckon youd be better off with a .21 on that track in the video, to get the lower torque/more grip/faster take off for all those little whoops and tight lower speed sections but thats just my opinion mate Its a shame that your LRP had those problems, it really sucks to be one of the people who ends up with the 'dud of the batch' if you know what i mean. i havent had a single problem with mine yet except maybe too fast lol. i run my local hobbie shop's own blend of 20% full synthetic fuel and it even runs pretty cool still. What an animal but with that 2 speed mated to the NOSRAM .28 EVO .it absolutely hauls ass. I have a real evo that i finally raced it with. it didnt beat it but it didnt lose to it either. I almost didnt want to know if it could beat it seeing as i paid around 40 times more for my Makinen ***sorry,i know its an rc forum but i just wanted yous to see my other toy ***
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78583.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	725994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17064.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	725995  
Old 07-19-2007, 05:10 AM
ItchyBum

Fat1,

Iv ran the OS30 in my ST-1 and its a very good motor, i found it very very fast on road with pro line road tyres (or any road tyres you wanted to use really) as the extra torque down low and the added traction of bitumen got it moving and up to massive speed in a matter of seconds. Very effective for the road fun for bashing about. You can pretty much make all 4 wheels spin whenever you want at any speed except full pace, but even then it wasnt too hard to get a big slide happening. Its very easy to run in and tune but everyone has their own techniques i suppose. An excellent engine by any standards. But thats ON ROAD. Off road was another story, hard to get traction even with my badlands mt tyres on grass. But on a dirt track, tyre selection and throttle usage become a lot more crucial to success. For me it was like watching a v8 powered mini miner in a drift contest, in the rain! The power was just everywhere, which was totally awesome and heaps of fun, but not practical. The ST-1, i personally think, is just too light for the torque of that motor for racing purposes, causing too much wheelspin regardless of throttle control. But again thats just my opinion. Im pretty sure the Dynamite and the LRP are the same motor with different cooling heads, and the same motor again as my NOSRAM RS.28 EVO, which from what iv found so far, is a much better racing engine. Its a very smooth revving motor with a progressive torque output. Very good tractable power for low and medium speeds using the lower rpm range, while having a very distinct power band or VTEC effect from about the middle of the rev range to full revs, creating a big boost in power for fast sections which is very handy since if you hit this power band or VTEC, you are intending to go really fast anyway (past the point where traction is an issue). Ideal for overtaking and staight speed advantages. These motors, the LRP/Dynamite and NOSRAM were definately designed with racing in mind and at a very affordable price too, compared to the big name brands which sport the same if maybe a bit better performance but for double and some close to triple the price. I dont really know too much about the engine ports and headers and pipes and all that technical stuff, but i think the on track performance speaks more than spec sheets and theories. I use my standard TTR pipe and header off the PRO28BX-R and it tunes up alright so far too. If you find any info on the Axial motor id like to compare its ST-1 performance to one of these. But personally id recommend the LRP ZR.28 SPEC 3 Truggy or even just the spec 2 or 3 or the NOSRAM RS.28 Monster or Monster EVO for simply the best value performance. Hope i helped with your decision mate but id check up on that Axial and Picco and STS motors before deciding, they might be better than all of my choices i dont know. Happy hunting
Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM
poe

IS the TTR ST1 rtr as good a buy/performer as the Cen matrix TR rtr?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:32 PM
fat1

I'm going to be honest with you here, I struggled choosing between the two of these (ttr st-1 and matrix tr), it took me a couple weeks to make my final decision and I decided on the TTR ST-1. the reason for my decision was based on price of the vehicle, accessories included, price of replacement parts. The Matrix comes with a better radio, I think the ST-1 has better sevos. The matrix comes with a rear wing included and the ST-1 does not. The ST-1 comes with glow ignitor, fuel bottle and a 5-way wrench, I know the mtraix doesnt come with the ignitor or fuel bottle, at least they dont advertise it. They both look badass and I think once you put a wing on it the ST-1 might get the edge, in stock form maybe the Matrix TR, depends on taste. Performance wise, I think they're pretty equal, if a driver thats even a little better than you has either of these vehicles and you have the other one you're gettin beat.

If my ST-1 ever gets stolen i might buy a matrix TR just to check it out but I'm happy with my ST-1 and would never sell it or trade it for a matrix TR, know what I mean? I might buy the matrix c-1 buggy as my second vehicle though...get what appeals to you man, you'll like either one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.