RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   Offical Mugen MBX5T thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/4368626-offical-mugen-mbx5t-thread.html)

RcRacer37E 05-15-2007 09:11 PM

RE: Offical Mugen MBX5T thread

Yes, kit comes with fluids and tires, mine were bowties. Dont use the S-3 o rings, they will wear out and make the truck unpredictable.
I just bought all the extra stuff off ebay incase I break a A-arm and the extra diffs are filled with diffrent weight fluids, makes it easier to change the diff out than drain it then refill it.
All those extra parts arent needed as the kit comes complete, those are just extra and will keep me from running into the shop to buy them (if they are needed).
Sorry if I confussed anyone, those were just things I added for my own piece of mind.

warriorking 05-15-2007 09:24 PM

If this O ring is prone to cause unnessesary wear and tear or whatever it does, why would they include it in the kit?

Just wanted to know................

RCaeroguy 05-16-2007 04:29 AM

I have the o-rings installed and it runs great.

RcRacer37E 05-16-2007 05:13 AM

Because they are not needed, they make the diffs feel inconsistant and dont help anything. Here is a link to [link=http://www.truggyracers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7287&st=30]truggy racers[/link] forum that has tips on the diffs and might help explain why not to use the S-3 ring.

RCaeroguy 05-16-2007 06:04 AM

It's just my own humble yet accurate opinion but it's not the o-rings that make the diffs feel inconsistent. It's the close tolerance of the out-drive shaft to the ring gear. They gall easily if not lubed adequately or cleaned up with emery cloth before assembly. By removing the o-rings, enough lube weeps out to keep the out-drive shafts happy. The whole "o-ring" myth is false. Like I said, that's just my opinion based on my experience. My diffs have been the model of consistency since I cleaned up the shafts a little bit.

MBX5T Maniac 05-16-2007 06:23 PM

I'm sorry, but you are totally incorrect.

The small o-rings used on the spider gears in the diffs are not to be used.

The larger S5 o-rings are to still be used, though you need to put lube on them in order for them not to rip.

RcRacer37E 05-17-2007 06:56 PM

Here is Scott Hughes [link=http://www.rc-car.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B 96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=18C93BD8A59B4 8C0AE18B44C141AF356&SiteID=6817839757EF4441818726B 97A2175A5]set up sheet.[/link] On his diff set ups, its listed, O-rings used "0" for front and "0" for center.
I then found [link=http://www.mugenracing.com/index_mbx5t.html]this set up[/link] on mugens web site. It calls for 4 O-rings front, 2 O-rings center and none in the rear. It also says to run 5/2/2 in the diffs (fluid).
Now, I tried hunting for why Scott runs with no O-rings (I found it once but now can seem to find it) and he said the same, diffs inconsistant and not needed. And I think we will all agree that 5/2/2 dif fluids is just not right.
So, set your truggy up like Scotts and dont use the S-3 O-rings at all. Change weights in diffs to fit your driven or track conditions.
Im a far cry from a pro driver, but if a pro is going to share a set up and say to use or not to use a certain item, then Im going to do so.
I hope this will help out on the issue of the S-3 rings and we wont be talking about them anymore.

TommyJ 05-20-2007 09:08 PM

I've had some trouble recently with breaking rear universals. My outdrive cups are slightly worn and have a noticeable groove where the inside bones wear against them, but I am unsure of why this is causing this problem. Is it when the suspension is fully compressed and the under the angle it produces, the worn section is causing the one side to be out of the groove and the other side in, thus, causing a twisting, bending force on the dog end of the shaft? I have gone from winning 3 straight A-mains at our track, to making it through the heats, only to wind up breaking a universal in the main... My front outdrive cups are not worn at all, I am guessing because of the fact that the front end is subject to much less of the forward bite given to the rear tires when weight is transferred to the rear... I would highly recommend you take a look at the outdrives and rotate them front to back to maximize longevity. I've got a buddy who races at our track who bought his 5t used and his front universals are much thicker than the stock mugens he has in the rear and everyone else runs on theirs. After researching it, I have found 0 manufacturers of a thicker part, so it leads me to believe they are from another kit. Anyone know of which kit includes these thicker items? and if so, are they the exact same length? I know that since the majority of the guys run mugen cars at our track, I'd hear more about this problem if it weren't caused by something inherent to my vehicle, and the outdrives are most likely the issue, but I'd definitely like to take advantage of the strongest possible replacements if I've got to do so anyway. Well, 3 shafts broken right near the dogbone end, I'm replacing whatever it is thats worn in the area and hoping I dont have to limit travel or anything. Other than that I've had good luck with this truck. 4 mos now with it and I run a Ninja .21 and it freaking screams! I pull on everyone down the straitaway at Palomar and Revelation. .28 is truly overkill. I've tried them.

MBX5T Maniac 05-20-2007 10:01 PM

It may be your center diff fluid is too thick, transferring more power to them, and therefore subjecting them to high wear.

PM me for a good site to go to, as the mods complain about me posting links

RCaeroguy 05-21-2007 02:54 PM

Ran a three day event and the diffs had the o-rings installed as per the assembly instructions. Everything worked great!! No inconsistencies.

JSRacer 05-21-2007 05:59 PM

Hey guys, number 1 in the directions to assemble this MBX5T say to use a rubber glue. I have shoe goo, will this do the trick?

revo7617 05-21-2007 06:42 PM

I used CA glue (thick) and did the job... been running about 20 tanks in our track and have no problems....

MBX5T Maniac 05-21-2007 07:12 PM

No shoo goo for tires. I use Team Losi glue, and it works better than the other glues I have tried.

Don't get thin glue, it sucks. I use medium, and have yet to try thick, but it seems to hold well, and it's very easy to apply, though it takes a while to dry

revo7617 05-21-2007 07:19 PM

thats right, what i tried to said:
I used CA for Tires and Thick CA (from Losi) for my break pads.... no problems on those departments

MBX5T Maniac 05-21-2007 07:27 PM

Get the ttr disk brakes, and don't use the pads. This combo provides much better breaking

JSRacer 05-21-2007 07:35 PM

Oh, I'm all into building this truck and I wasn't very specific. The Mugen manual says to use rubber glue on the brake pads. Which glue did you guys use to glue your brake pads?

MBX5T Maniac 05-21-2007 08:12 PM

I just used CA glue :D

RcRacer37E 05-22-2007 05:14 AM

I ca glued them as well. I ended up putting ofna brake pads on mine, they are from a buggy (H8) but had to drill out the hole just a bit to make them fit.
Another quick heads up, on your steering servo, run the wire around the outside of the throttle/brake servo then into the battery box, if you dont, it will rub on the spur and kill the wires. Been there done that.

MBX5T Maniac 05-22-2007 07:59 AM

So nascar, you gotten that new ackerman link yet?

RcRacer37E 05-22-2007 02:43 PM

I got that and the dace wheel hubs, the hubs are the shortest ones I could get and the rims hit the upper a arms but it turns on a dime with change given back. Im getting another set of dace hubs, just a bit wider this time.
I found out that the stock wheels wont work on the dace hubs (shortest ones) the rims rub on the back. I took the rear apart thinking the diff was going when it turned out the off set of the stock rim was the cause.
The things I find out the hard way, but lesson learned and now passed on...lol

MBX5T Maniac 05-22-2007 06:29 PM

Yeah, I should have warned you that the stock wheels rub with those shorter extenders.

JSRacer 05-22-2007 07:42 PM

Hey will this starter box work for my MBX5T? http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/cate...000&type=store

I'm completey new to starter boxes. I'd like to get one so I have a wider selection of higher end engines. I've seen this box on eBay cheaper than at RDLogics website. Does anyone know what else I'd need with this box? Does it come with everything but batteries?

RcRacer37E 05-22-2007 09:03 PM

That should work. Im usen the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLD9&P=SM]Ofna chrome top true start[/link] starter box. It comes with power panel and the 12 volt battery. Its turned over all the engines Ive had without troubles. The power panel up from lets you know if the plug is good or bad and you wont be looking for the glow stick, its built in with the panel.
It looks like tower is out of stock, might try a main or carolinas rc to see if they have them in.

MBX5T Maniac 05-22-2007 09:42 PM

That RD Logics one will work, but for 20 bux less, you can get a chrome top off amainhobbies.com. Plus the starter boxes from RD suck, esp. the Revo one

JSRacer 05-22-2007 09:43 PM

That looks nice. I appreciate the reply. Is there anything else you need with that? I have a charger but I'm not sure if it'll charge that.