Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 07:14 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey guys I’m looking for a new Corsair kit with folding wings. I’ve reached out to Dreamworks and CARF and they can’t be bothered to respond. If you have one you’re not going to get too let me know. Has to be new in the box and if you have Sierra gear and a Moki 250 that would be great. Send me a PM so we can talk off this thread.
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2022, 08:02 PM
HiCurrent

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

double post

Last edited by HiCurrent; 11-03-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-03-2022, 08:02 PM
HiCurrent

I just started mine and I have a problem with the tail gear. The problem I'm seeing is when the tail gear fully retracted, the tail wheel still sticking out about 2.5" above the doors. Is this correct?

Last edited by HiCurrent; 11-03-2022 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:18 AM
GeorgiaFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
I just started mine and I have a problem with the tail gear. The problem I'm seeing is when the tail gear fully retracted, the tail wheel still sticking out about 2.5" above the doors. Is this correct?
My tail wheel sticks out even when fully retracted... see attached picture...

Old 11-04-2022, 09:41 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See post 3305.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:19 PM
bake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to Electrify my landing gear. Understand Down & Locked was a good option but they are no longer around. An ideas on who or what is now available to convert my gear to electric actuators ?? Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-2022, 04:54 PM
jchorak

Originally Posted by bake
I'm looking to Electrify my landing gear. Understand Down & Locked was a good option but they are no longer around. An ideas on who or what is now available to convert my gear to electric actuators ?? Thanks in advance
Just had some work done on mine in September, contact Mitch and see if he can help you. mitch@downand locked.com

JC

The following users liked this post:
bake (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 06:43 PM
HiCurrent

Thank you Jchorak for your answer.
I have another question regarding the main gear. I tried to move the main gear as far forward as I can (about 2mm), the air cylinder is still binding with the carbon fiber tube behind the gear. Thus preventing the gear to completely retracted. As the result, on of the door can't be completely closed. Is it safe to cut into the carbon tube to clear the air cylinder? I think maybe 2-3mm deep.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:46 PM
HiCurrent

Hi onewing, does the 3w157 fits into the cowl nicely or do you need to cut a little bit to clear the spark plugs. Thank you
Old 11-06-2022, 09:11 AM
jchorak

Thank you Jchorak for your answer.
I have another question regarding the main gear. I tried to move the main gear as far forward as I can (about 2mm), the air cylinder is still binding with the carbon fiber tube behind the gear. Thus preventing the gear to completely retracted. As the result, on of the door can't be completely closed. Is it safe to cut into the carbon tube to clear the air cylinder? I think maybe 2-3mm deep.
I don't know about the tube, but you do drill a hole through the spar below the tube for the jack screw when using the electric conversion. Maybe some using air can comment.
JC
Old 11-11-2022, 06:37 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bake
I have down & locked on my Corsair retracts and wing fold. The motors are pathetic. I intend to have them converted by BK Electroniks in Germany. He has just done my Airworld English Electric Lightning and it is very impressive indeed. I plan to get him to convert wing fold and retracts for my Corsair and possibly my AW Hawk. Not only does it have a proper motor system with lots of grunt, there is a controller for each leg that uses a digital encoder for leg position. It also controls the door for that leg. These videos are all in German but you can see what his conversion can do do.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmQ...hI1NOQukrAVTYA
BK-Modelltechnik, Matthias Kersatn: [email protected]
Nice guy, perfect English.
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnMac:
bake (11-15-2022), GeorgiaFlyer (11-11-2022), jchorak (11-12-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 11:17 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm having issues with tail retract. When the air cylinder is disconnect, the unit retracts all the way so just some of the wheel is hanging out. Once I connected the air cylinder, it would not retract all the way. I tried shortening the metal clevis, which did the allow the unit to retract all the way, but now it has gone hard over and it is unable to extend the retract. I'm wondering if I was sent the wrong cylinder from Sierra as the geometry does not seem correct.
I see in some pictures above, the tailwheel and fork hanging out of the doors, is this the same issue? Getting very frustrated with some of the issues I'm having with this High end plane.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:17 PM
bake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMac
I have down & locked on my Corsair retracts and wing fold. The motors are pathetic. I intend to have them converted by BK Electroniks in Germany. He has just done my Airworld English Electric Lightning and it is very impressive indeed. I plan to get him to convert wing fold and retracts for my Corsair and possibly my AW Hawk. Not only does it have a proper motor system with lots of grunt, there is a controller for each leg that uses a digital encoder for leg position. It also controls the door for that leg. These videos are all in German but you can see what his conversion can do do.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmQ...hI1NOQukrAVTYA
BK-Modelltechnik, Matthias Kersatn: [email protected]
Nice guy, perfect English.
Thank You,
Sent my gear in to him to get modified with his Electric actuators.
Dean
Old 11-18-2022, 02:04 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

I installed the Sierra Giant Scale retractable tail unit in my Carf Corsair. Not sure what the installation differences might have been, but my tailwheel unit retracts completely.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:55 PM
HiCurrent

Do I need to open the cowl flaps for the moki 250. What happens if I don't. . Will the engine heats up bad?
thanks

Old 12-12-2022, 03:53 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Do I need to open the cowl flaps for the moki 250. What happens if I don't. . Will the engine heats up bad?
thanks
There are plenty of them flying without open cowl flaps successfully-The most important thing is that the Moki is baffled properly.
Opening them up does drop the cylinder temps by a little bit however.
Hope this helps-
Mike O.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:48 PM
HiCurrent

where do I find the flexible metal tube to extend the exhaust pipes. The smallest tubing Aircraft international has is 22mm

Last edited by HiCurrent; 12-17-2022 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:27 AM
IFLYBVM2

Vogelsang may still have the exhaust extensions.
If not try AMR in Canada- I got some from them at one point.
- Mike O.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:22 AM
HiCurrent

Thank you all for answering my questions.
I have another one. For the folding wing hydraulic system, I only see 2 wires (red and black) coming out from the electronic board. Is there another controller to control this? How do I hook it up to my receiver? The manual is terrible.
I supposed that the black and red wires are to be connected to battery (7.4V) and how can I control this?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2022, 06:09 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Per full scale, the tire protruded through the gear doors when retracted. This is normal. However, the yoke should not. The strut provided by Darrel was too long by 1 inch as I remember. I sent many back and he modified them. This pulled the yoke inside. Your issue seams a little deeper though. Your mount may need shimming at the bottom to pull the gear farther in. It should not stick down that far when retracted. My guess is that it is tilted forward when down. Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:15 PM
HiCurrent

On the folding wing version, there are 2 big holes on the top of the wing to clear the folding mechanism. Do we suppose to fly with it like that or there is a way to cover them up. I noticed the kit comes with the panels to cover up the main hole but how is it supposed to be done to make it open and close automatically during and after the folding movement.
Thank you for your inputs.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:30 PM
IFLYBVM2

Default Wing doors

On the folding wing version, there are 2 big holes on the top of the wing to clear the folding mechanism. Do we suppose to fly with it like that or there is a way to cover them up. I noticed the kit comes with the panels to cover up the main hole but how is it supposed to be done to make it open and close automatically during and after the folding movement.
Thank you for your inputs.
On the FW version, the small doors are hinged, and are held in the down position either by small springs, or small elastic band. There should be pics somewhere earlier on this thread. There is also a nice You Tube video by Gary Prince that shows how to do them. Search "carf corsair wing door" on You Tube, and you should find it.
Hope this helps-
Mike O.

Old 01-29-2023, 05:20 PM
K Rohrbach

Hello Corsair brotherhood,
I have the Comp Arf corsair and really like how its going, just started. I have the 3d printed parts from Erich in Austria, amazing stuff. However the cockpit kit has no instructions, I have been able to figure some of it out but in relation to the canopy opening and how it integrates with the 3D printed cockpit side panels that has been a head scratcher. IF someone has installed these parts on theirs could you post or send some pics here or to me, I would greatly appreciate it. I have asked Erich but with the time change he may not get back to me for a bit. Thanks guys in advance. Again I would really like pics of these exact parts and not of what someone just made up.
Regards
Old 01-29-2023, 05:26 PM
K Rohrbach

Originally Posted by K Rohrbach
does not get better than this, thanks Mike
In looking closer I think the measurements of the three standoffs may be wrong. A is listed as being 21mm long and at the bottom which would give the eng up thrust as the other two standoffs are shorter B =20 and C=18mm. My thinking is A should be at the top say 2pm position.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:51 PM
HiCurrent

Thank you IFLYBVM2 for the response. I have another question regarding the cockpit. I just bought the cockpit from CARF and I want to know what is the dimension for the tub L.W.H.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.