Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 60cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:00 AM
mirored
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZThud
Hi Andy, how much of the Klasscote was needed for the project, I am thinking of trying it on a similar sized plane and am curious as to your thoughts on the amount paint, thinner, and hardener would be needed.

Thanks,

Cheers
Sorry for the delayed response.....

I didn't think I would have to sand down the first paint job, but I did. Not enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it again.

However, I did get enough paint for two paintings. I bought one quart of primer and one quart of primer catalyst. I used less than half of that, but I only painted the plane once with primer. I mixed 16 oz (8 oz part A, 8 oz part B) and used all of it to do a full cover. Primer goes a long way.

I purchased one quart of base coat (cream) and one quart of catalyst for it and after two paintings, I used most of it. I mixed 12 oz part A, 12 oz part B and used most of that for each base coat.

I purchased one quart of second coat (Maroon) and one quart of catalyst for it. I mixed 16 oz and used most of it each time. I have leftover from that since the second coat is less area.

I am putting graphics on for the final time and what a difference it makes when the paint job is done correctly. The right masking tape is critical and makes a huge difference. I am much happier with the outcome this time.

I hope this helps.

Andy
Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 AM
mirored

I will be testing a new design of electric retracts, and if they are what I think they will be, I will be selling my Robart electric Down and Locked set with controller. These are the white ones that are out of stock at Horizon. If interested, email me at [email protected].
Old 05-27-2015, 12:58 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad! If you have time and the desire (the big one there :P) I'd really suggest giving some depth to the cockpit instrument panel at least. IMO it looks pretty cheesy with just the stickers... on mine I think the stickers pasted on top even though I've done it '3D' looks cheesy. The main switch and ignition LED are mounted in a small dash panel painted black (not installed in the pic, but has the cutout finished).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2099039  
Old 05-27-2015, 03:40 PM
mirored

Like this?

Name:	2015-05-27 18.09.17.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2099088  
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM
chorner

Much nicer! Mirrored, that's beautiful Excellent work. Is that an aftermarket cockpit you've decked out, or something you've constructed yourself? Either way, a huge improvement over the stock cockpit.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 AM
mirored

It's a pre-constructed one from iflytallies. I could never do that type of work, but glad to use it.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 AM
AZThud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tony that is exactly what I was looking for.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures once the markings are on.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2015, 04:30 AM
ENZ5573
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by trickpony4

Kirk, as you can see, I don't have any good pics. With the exhaust ring, to keep from having to cut on the firewall, I spaced the engine forward some. You can see I also spaced the cowl forward to keep from having to cut the cowling out for the valve covers. I still have to cut out just a little for them on cylinder #3.
This arf is set up for a G62, but with this Saito, I did not have any lead on the plane to CG it. It flies great, and it'll be more fun when I get over the nervousness. :-)

I found that with spacing the cowl forward, that changed the geometry for where the cowl bolts need to be. I put some 440 bolts in the cowl backwards, place the cowl on, and that showed me that I had to put aluminum brackets behind the oval shaped holes in the stock cowl brackets, to extend them out maybe a quarter of an inch. I also moved the engine back a quarter of an inch from what these pics show. This was due to the fact that the "Hi end" carb adjustment screw was right in the middle of the firewall. Now, the choke and "lo end/choke" adjustment is in front of the firewall, and the hi end is behind the firewall. I carefully placed aluminum tubes in the side of the engine box to access those holes, using the small adjustment/choke tools that comes with the engine. I mounted my ignition box on the bottom of the engine box. Hope something in this post will help. :-)
BTW Kirk, if you hadn't found it already, there is a template in your engine manual for the cutout in the firewall, that you'd need for the carb.
Hi trickpont4

What size standoff did you use?
Thanks,Vincent
Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 AM
njmheli

Default Tail Wheel.

Hi All.

Trust that all the builds and flying are going well..............still a little for me to do before the maiden.

I have decided to "change out" the "Robart" tail wheel actuator ( NOTE : this item is not supplied to Robart from D & L ),the actuator was not working 100% of the time,only after about 3 cycles of the gear switch would it work ( mains working very nicely 100% of the time ).
I e-mailed Mitch at D & L and he supplied me with a "kit" so I could retro-fit his actuator to the T/W chassis.................very easy to fit,only minor mods to be done to the chassis and a little ply removal on a former inside the tail.

Very pleased with the results 100% working and smooth..............down side being the extra weight behind the c of g,however,will not be a problem.

I have attached a link ( hope it works ?? ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD-5cYunpi0

Also a couple of photo's of the chassis set-up and one showing "Ignition ON " in the cockpit !!!

Kind regards......................Nick (UK).

Name:	DL1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2099355   Click image for larger version

Name:	DL2.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2099356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IGNIT.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	2099357  
Old 05-30-2015, 06:30 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought there were some pics of Sierra retracts installed in this thread but I can't find them..
Old 05-31-2015, 01:13 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by donddsms

Ron, here are the pictures with the EME 70 mounted with cowl. No hole on the right side. The hole for the ignition cap on the left doesn't seem very noticeable.
Have you flown it with the 70 yet? I maidened mine today with a 55cc and wasn't happy with the performance. I need to upgrade the power and am trying to figure out which way to go.

I li might even try an 85cc
Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Anyone have some decent photos they could post of the tail gear door hinge installation method they used?

I'm getting to that point and am looking for some guidance past what the manual has to offer.

disregard, I found some pics onost 613 by Christian 2 fast fur u

thanks

Last edited by Todd D; 05-31-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Have you flown it with the 70 yet? I maidened mine today with a 55cc and wasn't happy with the performance. I need to upgrade the power and am trying to figure out which way to go.

I li might even try an 85cc
I was originally looking at using a DA85 but changed my mind to a FG84-R3 with the English conversion.
I have a new Da85 available if you are interested.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:21 PM
ENZ5573

Hi Guys,
I just ordered the plane! on its way! i need some opinions on what motor would really make this plane move! i like speed and power! i was thinking of the DA60,DLE61 or DA85,DLE85 and if the 85cc will even fit without hacking the cowling to much!!
Thank,Vincent
Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ENZ5573
Hi Guys,
I just ordered the plane! on its way! i need some opinions on what motor would really make this plane move! i like speed and power! i was thinking of the DA60,DLE61 or DA85,DLE85 and if the 85cc will even fit without hacking the cowling to much!!
Thank,Vincent
The engine conundrum is one we've all faced with this model. Before I settled on the Ray English modified Saito F84, I was going to look at a ZDZ 90RVJ. The big singles can shake a bunch and while I've not seen a DLE-85, I can tell you that the DA-85 shakes as bad as any engine I've seen. The ZDZ will be the smoothest of the bunch with the best throttle response due to the rotary valve intake system, but you'll have to pay more attention to cooling as the fins on the ZDZ are not particularly large. Translation; you'll probably have to baffle the thing to keep it cool but it'd be a real horse.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:37 AM
ENZ5573

Hi Zeeb,
I was Thinking about the Ray English modified Saito 84cc,are you happy with the power and is it reliable?
Thanks,Vincent
Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by ENZ5573
Hi Zeeb,
I was Thinking about the Ray English modified Saito 84cc,are you happy with the power and is it reliable?
Thanks,Vincent
Mine's not been flown yet, just ground run. I've got too many projects going on and the weather has conspired to keep us off the dry lake bed where we usually fly the jets and do Maiden Flights for other bigger models. Right now, my Corsair has two jets in front of it waiting for Maiden Flights and it just keeps raining around here, on the WEEKENDS!!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 02:11 PM
camss69

Zeeb, didn't you have pics of your Sierra gear install? I searched the thread and can't find them... I was wondering specifically what you did as far as modifying the existing rails to fit the Sierra gear...

On another note, I've decided to go with the Evolution 7-77 radial.. I just hope it's got enough power to fly the plane well enough to have fun with it. I don't need it to be the fastest plane out there but as long and it flys well I'll be happy. A couple of reasons why, the saito running 20:1 sounds like it makes more of a mess than the evolution running 7-8% oil. I shouldn't need to add any non-functional weight the the 7-77... Not that it will be any lighter. I don't think the Saito 60R3 would provide enough power.. The Saito 57 is a twin and I want a radial for my round cowl. The 84R3 needs another $500 modification putting it at $2000 just for the engine... That kind of left the evolution which gets pretty good reviews by owners.. The biggest pain will be doing the valve adjustments and after-run oil procedure, which I'm sure after you get used to it is no big deal. The second valve adjustment is after 10hrs run time which would probably be a couple years for me... Just long enough to forget how I did it the first time...

Last edited by camss69; 06-05-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by camss69
Zeeb, didn't you have pics of your Sierra gear install? I searched the thread and can't find them... I was wondering specifically what you did as far as modifying the existing rails to fit the Sierra gear...

On another note, I've decided to go with the Evolution 7-77 radial.. I just hope it's got enough power to fly the plane well enough to have fun with it. I don't need it to be the fastest plane out there but as long and it flys well I'll be happy. A couple of reasons why, the saito running 20:1 sounds like it makes more of a mess than the evolution running 7-8% oil. I shouldn't need to add any non-functional weight the the 7-77... Not that it will be any lighter. I don't think the Saito 60R3 would provide enough power.. The Saito 57 is a twin and I want a radial for my round cowl. The 84R3 needs another $500 modification putting it at $2000 just for the engine... That kind of left the evolution which gets pretty good reviews by owners.. The biggest pain will be doing the valve adjustments and after-run oil procedure, which I'm sure after you get used to it is no big deal. The second valve adjustment is after 10hrs run time which would probably be a couple years for me... Just long enough to forget how I did it the first time...
There are a few pics of my gear installed but not many. My model was put together by my builder guy who's much better at doing this stuff like modifying the firewall and such plus he's got one of these birds so I let him and his friend put it together.

That said; my builder posted for another member here about what it took to get the P-40 gear in my airplane. I thought you'd said that Darrel had a gear set specifically for the H9 Corsair? Any way IIRC his username is DJohnson and his entry is at the bottom of a page probably half a dozen pages back.

Engines; Horizon was at Joe Nall with two of the Corsairs, maybe three I'm not sure if they had the one with the DLE or Zenoah. They conducted a bunch of what they called "Fly My Airplane" demos for folks using buddy boxes. Pete Goldsmith was there with his Corsair which has the stock Saito FG84 running the stock exhaust. They also had the model with the Evolution in it available. A friend of mine had seen my model and signed up to fly Pete's airplane there at Triple Tree. My friend says he's going to buy one and the Saito. Pete told me on Friday before the event basically finishes, that they'd not flown the model with the Evolution......

Oh and the big Saitos are not $2000.00 dollars anymore, IIRC they got dropped to $1499.00.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:53 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

We had four Corsairs at Joe Nall, two of them flying regularly. Pete's with the FG-84R3D as you noted, and Mike's with a Zenoah G62. Pete's -84 now has over 100 flights.

We had one Evolution 62GX flying in the Mustang.

I recently replaced the G62 in my Corsair with an FG-60R3 but haven't had a chance to fly it, next week hopefully. I think it will be quite adequate, much like the FG-57.

$1699 was the original price for the -84.

Originally Posted by Zeeb

Engines; Horizon was at Joe Nall with two of the Corsairs, maybe three I'm not sure if they had the one with the DLE or Zenoah. They conducted a bunch of what they called "Fly My Airplane" demos for folks using buddy boxes. Pete Goldsmith was there with his Corsair which has the stock Saito FG84 running the stock exhaust. They also had the model with the Evolution in it available. A friend of mine had seen my model and signed up to fly Pete's airplane there at Triple Tree. My friend says he's going to buy one and the Saito. Pete told me on Friday before the event basically finishes, that they'd not flown the model with the Evolution......

Oh and the big Saitos are not $2000.00 dollars anymore, IIRC they got dropped to $1499.00.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:06 AM
chorner

Just FYI, 20:1 is about 5-6% oil. So 20:1 makes about the same mess as with methanol in this case.

The valve adjustment is actually quite easy, and once you do it the first time you'll see the pattern to it. Really doesn't take more than 15 minutes if you're used to it, and probably 30 minutes your first time. I think you'll like the Evolution in general. Just check it over thoroughly when you buy it. Found it's a good idea to test all the bolts for snugness before mounting it. Ontop of that, swinging a 24x10 or even a 22x12 if running with glow plugs (I had mine converted to CDI spark ignition) will give you more than enough power for this plane. IMO, after running the engine for a while and getting used to it, it's actually my most reliable and easy to run engine. Every time I take it out it runs like clockwork with no fuss, and extremely easy to get started even on a cold day. Much more than can be said in comparison to my single cylinder 4 strokes

Also, the Saito FG60R3 would be my second choice in engines for this plane by a long shot over anything else if I didn't have this 7-77. It'll push a 22x10 prop at 6,800-7,000rpm once nicely broken in. At full bore, it'll produce 28-29lbs of static thrust with a 22x10. Plus you don't have to modify the hell out of the engine box and fuel tank/servo placement to properly fit the FG60 unlike the FG84

Last edited by chorner; 06-06-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:14 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by Zeeb

That said; my builder posted for another member here about what it took to get the P-40 gear in my airplane. I thought you'd said that Darrel had a gear set specifically for the H9 Corsair? Any way IIRC his username is DJohnson and his entry is at the bottom of a page probably half a dozen pages back

Pete told me on Friday before the event basically finishes, that they'd not flown the model with the Evolution......

Darrel told me they were made specifically for the H9 but these gear appear to be slightly narrower and the bolt holes are not in the same location. Also the axels he included are too short to fit the wheels I got from him... Ugh... You can't fit the wheels plus the castle nut without the wheel rubbing against the gear... I've tried calling him this past week and can't get a hold of him.. I might just hack off a set of 1/4" dubro Axels and cut them to the proper length... It would be nice to have the Sierra axels with the retaining castle nut setup.

They didn't fly the Evolution 7-77 version at all at Nall?

I said the Saito 84 with the RE mod is $2000 which it is..

if I heard some positive reviews with the Saito 60R3 I'd consider it.. I have a month or two before I buy the engine.. I have yet been able to source 100% methanol for fuel in Nor-Cal anyway.. So the Gas Saito 60 is still a possibility...
Old 06-06-2015, 05:40 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

The 7-77 powered Corsair did fly but the FG-84R3D and G62 versions flew the majority of the time.

You said "the big Saitos are not $2000.00 dollars anymore, IIRC they got dropped to $1499.00." as if the price had changed $500 at the same source.

They didn't fly the Evolution 7-77 version at all at Nall?

I said the Saito 84 with the RE mod is $2000 which it is..

if I heard some positive reviews with the Saito 60R3 I'd consider it.. I have a month or two before I buy the engine.. I have yet been able to source 100% methanol for fuel in Nor-Cal anyway.. So the Gas Saito 60 is still a possibility...
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM
chorner

Does anyone know the part number for a replacement glow fuel stopper for the included Hangar 9 fuel tank? I figured being black, it was glow compatible.... but the stopped disintegrated inside my tank. Damn good thing I pulled it out when I did to double check everything... another run and it would've dumped inside the plane.

Any other tanks in the 22-24oz size that fits this plane as a direct replacement? I don't see any part numbers for the fuel tank looking through the manual

Tired of all the **** quality parts and lack of info. with most of this stuff

Last edited by chorner; 06-07-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Ted62
My Feedback: (2)

Quick Question - balanced the H9 Corsair today and, according to the vanessa rig, looks like I need 3.7 lbs of lead up front - does this sound reasonable? Using the 7-77 engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.