Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FiberClassics P-51 now Comp-ARF P-51

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrScoles
dynamic balsa sells the rails. I just sat down and started winging a lot of it. Very happy with the end result, but a PIA to do. When my plane is done, I'm gonna open another thread and download all the pics at once. I've photo documented most of the build.
yeah, pretty much all do it yourself scale stuff is a PIA if you aren't on a retiree's schedule (LOL) so I've avoided it since my last serious scale mustang build 25 years ago! I'm leery of just winging it on this plane because of what it's made out of and I don't want to frack it up by making stupid cuts here an there I'll regret later. So, where/how did you mount the fuel tank around all the other things piled in there? And how did your final battery install go? As to your earlier question, if you have to add tail weight and to help eliminate flutter, a place to do it that's value added is to the elevator's counterbalance area, just like we do on real planes like my Van's RV-8 I built. Gotz is doing the same static elevator balancing to his CARF Spitfire that's getting the same Kolm engine, BTW.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:35 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, thats for the power to the plane. The electric starter adds quite a bit of complexity to the whole thing. You need an ESC, then a 3s lipo, and I purchased a high voltage electronic switch for $90 that will turn it on/off separately. It will stay on during flight, be nice to restart if it happens to die :-)

I used an emcotec magnetic switch and hid it in the scoop under the wing. I bought another magnetic switch, but it was the wrong one and I am getting impatient.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:36 AM
DrScoles

Lucky, give me a few weeks and I will dump all these photos at once and they will answer 90% of your questions!
Old 04-25-2015, 10:58 AM
luckymacy

Lucky, give me a few weeks and I will dump all these photos at once and they will answer 90% of your questions!
cover 100% of the questions and you got a deal, ha ha. Tom is getting some harder isolation material to experiment with from here http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_odkw=...146&rmvSB=true and hopefully that'll make the folks happier that don't like all the movement. I'm looking forward to experimenting myself but don't have a shipping tracking number yet on the engine. Should be soon though!

Last edited by luckymacy; 04-25-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question to anyone who has flow there mustang. I feel like there is too much slop in the elevator. I thought it was the linkage, but I think its the rod that runs through with the phenolic hinge holes being a little large?? We already have a problem with fitting a full size servo on each side, leary of flutter and overpowering the servos. Anyone else concerned? Have a fix?

Thanks
Mike the fix is very simple and you have correctly identified the source of the slop. Remove the pivot pin and stab, very lightly oil the rod and reinsert it through the phenolic hinge posts. Then put a drop of green zap in the hole through which the hinge pin passes. Hit it with kicker and wait for it to set. Rotate the pin and hey presto, you will have a precision fit hinge pin. As you know zap is very hard when set and forms a good bushing for this purpose. I used this on a particular model we have been discussing to reduce slop.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:04 PM
peter w h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig B. - AA++ on the hinge repair technique.

Latest pic. ready maiden.

Doc. - I am in Toronto, I will meet you in the middle and we'll maiden together.

P.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1755.JPG
Views:	1443
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2092302  

Last edited by peter w h; 04-26-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 PM
DrScoles

Craig, I tried thin CA into the holes and kicker, but didn't think to put the rod back in. I will try it. I'm used to the hinges on our jets, zero slop. Thanks!

Peter, I might maiden this weekend. A few stars have to align, but I'm going to a fly-in that has an amazing field, just need to find the time this week to fine tune and add some weight in the tail.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Mike,

Yeah must use green zap with the hinge pin in place. This job takes all of 5 mins and makes a world of difference. Just make sure not to have excess oil on hinge pin...just a very thin smear and make sure there is no rust on the hinge pin. I usually go over it with some 1200 grit first to get it nice an shiny.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:43 AM
luckymacy

Pretty quiet lately. Any first flights or build updates?
Old 05-17-2015, 03:00 AM
peter w h

Originally Posted by luckymacy
Pretty quiet lately. Any first flights or build updates?
Just got back from Joe Nall.

Maiden went great and flights at Nall no problems.

Lots of pictures of my Harvard but none of the Mustang (dummy).

Peter.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:03 AM
AZThud

I am glad to hear that you had a good time at Nall, Is that a Hyde mount on the Mustang? If so how did it perform and would you recommend?

Thanks,

Cheers
Old 05-20-2015, 02:36 AM
peter w h

Rick- Yes it is a Hyde mount, cancels out most of the vibration, only down side is the engine moves and shakes.
Extra clearance around the muffler is still needed.

Found these two pictures on the Flying Giants site.

Name:	Mustang at Joe Nall 2.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	2097294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang at Joe Nall.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2097295  

Last edited by peter w h; 05-20-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:25 PM
luckymacy

I'm trying to find the tail wheel door hinges as well as some other hardware and I'm convinced I didn't get the right hardware for this kit and enough hardware. This is the extent of my hardware that came with the kit minus one set of pull pull cable/links. The one for the rudder is missing. Did everyone else get two sets of pull pull? One for tail when steering and the second for the rudder?

I'm curios what others got in recent kits. Anyone know what the dark phenolic material is for? My manual does not show that nor did I see versions of that in this thread. If it is what they are putting in for hinges these days it'd be nice if they put in some instructions...

Three rubber bands?

There's a lot of threaded clevises and nuts but no push rods. Anyone else get pushrods? There's also those two brass covered, spring loaded canopy type latches in the picture. Again I don't see any reference to them in the manual and in this thread. Everyone else get these? What did you use them for?

If anyone has a source for more conventional tail wheel door hinges or detailed pictures on how to make these things in the picture work, if indeed that's what the are, I'd like to see them!

thx,
lucky

Name:	CARF P-51 hardware.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2104783  
Old 06-22-2015, 05:19 AM
rdefrei2
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Lucky,

You can find miniature door hinges on these sites...

http://www.meister-scale.com/Accesso.../LVhinges.html

http://www.micromark.com/miniature-b...-in,11074.html

http://www.phoenixmodeldevelopments....nge_Range.html

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/7127_piano_hinge.htm

Cheers,
Roger
Old 06-22-2015, 07:15 AM
luckymacy

Thanks Roger,

It's this kind that are similar to the instruction manual I was looking for.

http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php?cat=321

and here's another source of the micro piano hinge http://www.nelsonhobby.com/miniature_piano_hinges.php

Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 AM
Greg Wright

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

luckymacy,

Dreamwork's has all different kinds of those hinges.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Greg Wright

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Hinges-Horns
Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM
luckymacy

Question for those who went the pull pull method actually shown in the manual and put a season or so of flights on the plane. Is the pull pull method holding up and how much rudder deflection can you get on 'high rates'? I ask as my gut tells me to make a direct link connection similar to what one guy did in the picture below to get all the throw I think I'll want for a good hammerhead, better rudder authority for long knife edge pass and just overall a more reliable long term design. Then again, maybe the pull pull as they show in the manual is good enough for what I want...

Old 08-18-2015, 02:41 AM
peter w h

End of Sunday flight.

http://youtu.be/pvkX7rI6_bo
Old 08-18-2015, 05:19 AM
Hello82

Originally Posted by luckymacy
Question for those who went the pull pull method actually shown in the manual and put a season or so of flights on the plane. Is the pull pull method holding up and how much rudder deflection can you get on 'high rates'? I ask as my gut tells me to make a direct link connection similar to what one guy did in the picture below to get all the throw I think I'll want for a good hammerhead, better rudder authority for long knife edge pass and just overall a more reliable long term design. Then again, maybe the pull pull as they show in the manual is good enough for what I want...

Hi...yeah that's my bird...... I put 2 servos in tail, one for direct rudder and one for sierra retract. I built a shelf in the front of the removable cowl and put one battery there and all balanced well with no extra lead. I have done pull pull on my ziroli mustang, but I went with my gut too...this just seemed easier and works well, and is totally hidden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-5AWJiNu6M
Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 AM
DH71TIGER

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I posted .............. I had the maiden flight on my P51 a couple of weeks ago.
The model depicts P-51D-10 44-14660 'LITTLE DUCKFOOT' of Lt Gerald Tyler 364th fighter squadron.

There is a video of the maiden flight here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnuGkpvidAY

The gear wasn't raised this flight to check the air system for leaks, upon landing everything air wise was fine, it will 'go up' next time !
She flew like she was on rails ........... even on full flap, going slowly for landing ............... unfortunately, a broken steering cable on the tailwheel prevented another flight. All fixed up now and ready to go again.

Last edited by DH71TIGER; 09-22-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:06 PM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by DH71TIGER
Hi guys, it's been a long time since I posted .............. I had the maiden flight on my P51 a couple of weeks ago.
The model depicts P-51D-10 44-14660 'LITTLE DUCKFOOT' of Lt Gerald Tyler 364th fighter squadron.

There is a video of the maiden flight here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnuGkpvidAY

The gear wasn't raised this flight to check the air system for leaks, upon landing everything air wise was fine, it will 'go up' next time !
She flew like she was on rails ........... even on full flap, going slowly for landing ............... unfortunately, a broken steering cable on the tailwheel prevented another flight. All fixed up now and ready to go again.
Excellent. Congrats.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:35 PM
LtMash1A

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chisep51
And some more.

Charlie
Where did you get the canopy slding rails. The look very scale. Nice job!
Old 10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
chisep51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LtMash1A,
I made the canopy rails and am on the downside of finishing a CNC set, consisting of Canopy frame, 3 canopy trucks/with rails which are modeled after the full size. Will post new pics when completed.
Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner, thread has been dead and I just visited it.
Charlie
Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 PM
LtMash1A

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for your reply. if you produce these, i will be your first customer. Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.