Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

tf p-47 gear install

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

tf p-47 gear install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:07 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tf p-47 gear install

Hi i have a question. In the installation robart gear in the giant p-47 the manual states to use screws not blind nuts to install the gear due to the small surface area . I built this plane before and used blind nuts but the problem was the blind nuts would come loose because the mounts are so thin. I am rebuilding this wing with brand new gear and want to be able to remove the gear for maintanance . The first time I had to move the ply mounting plates closer so the blind nuts would work. I must make the gear removable without and cutting ofthe wing structure.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 AM
timothy thompson

Default RE: tf p-47 gear install

There are a lot of you who built this did you use screws or blind nuts
Old 02-07-2005, 09:52 AM
bkmust

First I always beef up the area of retract attachment. Usually I add a thickness of aircraft ply under the plates. I then use wood screws as large as the area will allow. Never had a problem yet. I also add some fiberglass in the stress areas.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 AM
timothy thompson

any additional comments?????
Old 02-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you use blind nuts, then use a bit of non-permanent thread-locker. That will keep the bolts from coming loose due to vibration. You may have to modify the mounting plates to make them thick enough to retain the blind nuts. Shouldn't be difficult.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:27 PM
parkerspop

I just installed the same retracts and I used wood screws. I also added some more strength by adding more wood under each retract brace. I will also add some glass to all joints.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Asanders

I tapped the mount for threaded screws. I have done this on both of my giant P-51's and others . I have just tapped the mounts on my P-47. I think they are 6/32's. On my smaller planes I use the 4/40's

I dont like using blind nuts on landing gear mounts. On most installations they are too hard to get to if something goes wrong like they come loose or they lock up tight like Bax suggested to use the non permanent thread locker.
just my 3 cents worth ! [8D]

Hi Parkersprop I just noticed you are in West Jordan. I am in Sandy. How far along are you on your P-47?
KirksRC is also building the P47 He is also in Utah.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:41 PM
timothy thompson

Thanks your right the blind nut comes loose and your screwed! NO pun inteded. I am rebuilding the mounts on my bird after two years of constant flying. the good news is the main spars are ok a few shear webs were cracked. Why do they tell you to put the grain parralell with the wing if the grain was longitudinal would be a lot stronger. I will use gussets and carbon fiber to strengthen the area.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto on beefing up the area and using screws, looks to work just fine. Alan- come on over and see my 47 is almost ready for engine test runs.
Kirk