Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:38 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Bob I am using a G 62 .I am glad to here it should not be a problem .Never fiber glassed a plane before didnt know how much weight it would add should be able to keep it with in 10 more pounds
Old 06-19-2007, 07:17 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cimara

I have never glassed a bird eather, and I am reading all I can I have been following several threads but mostly the glassing thing over on Peter Oz's thread T/F P-47 a aother bloody one, along with the mods and his build. I am looking at the klass - kote and west systems, also looking at the water acrlic method, but have not made up my mind as yet. some sware by Hobby - poxy but I am not sure about it, but that is just me.

As for weight from what I have read if you do it right it is little more than plastic. I know the fellows reading this thread can give you better info than I, So we will just have to learn together.

And a G- 62 is a good choice.

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 06-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your glassing adds more then 1/4 lb then you are doing it wrong!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
rt3232

Thanks Pete

I had read the 1/4 lb, befor but was relucktent to us a number from memory and not having any experince, so my question now is if you use latex paint, or acrilics what does that add to the weight about???

Bob T
Old 06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
NCIS

Winston,

I've done a bunch of fiberglass work but never on an RC airplane. I repaired the wing tips on my full Scale Piper P-28 140 Cherokee and when your done it's kind of like when you fill a low spot with putty. Most of the weight is sanded away. I don't know about 1/4 lb. but it surely shouldn't be more than 1/2 lb. unless you make it 1/8" thick. I am going to just use one layer of .75 glass and finishing resin on mine and then fill the rest of the weave with auto spot putty and sand it smooth. Just my method. I've read it works great and is very light.

Barry
Old 06-20-2007, 04:36 PM
cimara

Well thats better than what i read in a reveiw online the guy said that paint and glassing would add 3 to 4 pounds .I was planning on using automotive filler primer to fill the weave
Old 06-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

I use automotive acrylic paint. Any paint will add weight very quickly if you are heavy handed. So light coats, just enough to get good colour depth and coverage.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: cimara

Well thats better than what i read in a reveiw online the guy said that paint and glassing would add 3 to 4 pounds .I was planning on using automotive filler primer to fill the weave

to fill the weave? Man you are going to add POUNDS that way.

Each to their own.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM
NCIS

Peter_OZ,

Automotive red spot putty is very light and won't add POUNDS to the job. Have you ever tried it or are you just guessing. I have read numerous articles about it. It is a very light way to finish the plane. The weave will be filled except after taking all the excess resin off thy cloth there will be a slightly pourous surface. I'm not talking about filling all the weave way into the cloth with putty but just a very thin layer which will then be sanded smooth to the cloth. It will almost all disappear. I think you are just knocking it because you have never tried it before. I have and know what I'm talking about!!! Have you ever done fiberglass repair on a full scale aircraft, I don't think so? I have. It has to meet high standards to be cleared to fly! You do it your way and we will do it our way.

Thanks but no thanks,

Gibbs
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
cimara

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

ORIGINAL: cimara

to fill the weave? Man you are going to add POUNDS that way.

Each to their own.
Well how do you do it Ive heard of zpoxxie and micro ballons spot putty filler like gibbs mentioned primmer like i mentioned So how do you do it
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM
NCIS

Way to go Winston!!! Light that fire and kick in the after burners HE-HA!!!

Barry
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
SMUGator

Now that you guys have gotten all riled up, you may want to sit back and hope Peter actually replies. He's been one of my mentors over the past couple of years, and I'm convinced that he knows what he's talking about.

Tom
Old 06-21-2007, 03:28 PM
rt3232

I would also say take what pete says as great info, from what I can determin he will only tell what he knows will work, and I hope he will continue to post in this thread.

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 06-21-2007, 03:36 PM
cimara

I didnt say he didnt have great info and if you all would look there is a smlily face at the end of my statment .I am here trying to learn
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
NCIS

Tom And Bob,

I said what I know and feel and won't take it back. I'm not new to this building RC planes thing and I don't need someone saying something that in my opinion isn't true. Spot putty weighs less than resin and if you can tell me otherwise I'll listen. I've worked with fiberglass for over 30 years and think I should know what I'm talking about. Plus the use of all caps as he started is a form of yelling and letting you know he thinks you don't know anything. I hope you will still consider me a friend and Pete too. I just speak my mind. This after all is the land of the free and freedom of speach. What I said should only make him prove me wrong and that will come by weighing each plane when done.

Best Regards,

Barry
Old 06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
timothy thompson

barry you are right. i use it to fill the weave. some of these guys think they are experts well that isnt always the case! the filler is mistley sanded away and the initial primer coats are inteded to find imperfections. my p-47 is 28 lbs and a g-45 flys her. shes not a floater bit warbirds were not.
tell the guys giving you trouble to stick with h-9 sport birds and crudokote!
Old 06-21-2007, 06:01 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Tim,
I'm curious whats a crudokote?

George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 PM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

tell the guys giving you trouble to stick with h-9 sport birds and crudokote!
Did you slow down to think for two seconds before you posted that to think about who you are taking shots at?

Tom
Old 06-21-2007, 06:36 PM
NCIS

Tom,

I believe that all Men were created equal. Just because I haven't been on this site as long as them doesn't mean they are better than I am. I just didn't know about it is all. I don't get this putting certain builders up on a pedistal thing that is going on. There is only one God and they aren't him. You are taking sides and that was just a post between Pete and myself. Let him speak for himself and that way everyone can remain friends. But by the way who are these special guy's your talking about other than Pete? You seem to think that they are something very special. Tell me what they have done to deserve special treatment anymore than the next builder. If you can tell me that they are better than me then I'll leave this site and go to RCSCALEBUILDERS.COM which I'm already on where everyone is treated equal. Nobody rates you from 1 to 10 over there. This is where I stand and I'm not going to change so tell me now if I'm not wanted or leave me alone when it comes to what I post in response to what I think is wrong information. By the way Timothy, thank you for your expert advice and backup.

Let me know,

Barry
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 PM
SMUGator

I believe that fighting on the internet is like running in the special Olympics. Even if you win, you are still special. I was actually just making the point that Oz has some good ideas that are worth hearing. As far as fiberglassing goes, there are about 100 different opinions, so that's a fight that can't be won. I was just amazed at Mr. Thompson's comment. The only 3 people I could figure that he would be talking about would be Oz, Bob T, or me. You'd be hard pressed to find 3 guys that work harder at getting it right, so the crack about H9 and monokote seemed way out of line. Anyhow, I spent my $0.02 on this topic a couple of hours ago, so I'm going back to building my little airplane.

Tom
Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM
rt3232

Me Too

Bob T
Old 06-21-2007, 07:24 PM
rt3232

Tim
Hear is the pic of the molds
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20429.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	708460  
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
NCIS

Back to the hobby I love too. Not enough time to squable.

Barry
Old 06-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

good luck then mate

if you want to be a know it all wanker then good luck to you, don't waste my time further.

reading below you obviously have no idea of how to do glassing properly so that a lightweight result is achieved. By all means fill it with filler and layers of resin. You will end up with a grossly overweight model that will be a pig.

the best of british to you and your brick!

But then I know nothing of such matters as you have aluded to.

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Peter_OZ,

Automotive red spot putty is very light and won't add POUNDS to the job. Have you ever tried it or are you just guessing. I have read numerous articles about it. It is a very light way to finish the plane. The weave will be filled except after taking all the excess resin off thy cloth there will be a slightly pourous surface. I'm not talking about filling all the weave way into the cloth with putty but just a very thin layer which will then be sanded smooth to the cloth. It will almost all disappear. I think you are just knocking it because you have never tried it before. I have and know what I'm talking about!!! Have you ever done fiberglass repair on a full scale aircraft, I don't think so? I have. It has to meet high standards to be cleared to fly! You do it your way and we will do it our way.

Thanks but no thanks,

Gibbs
Old 06-22-2007, 04:45 PM
NCIS

Your the one that think's he know's it all MATE![:@] I don't need or want any help from some Aussie with you attitude an CAPS.

GIBBS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.