Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Dave_ORCC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Thanks wulf,

I've been thinking of getting nice aluminum wheels too. Maybe you could get a deal on two pairs at Toledo!!

The mech. linkage isn't that tough really, I just spent too much time scratching my head. In hindsight there are a few things I should've done that would've made the experimentation process a little easier. If you re-consider, or anyone else for that matter, and end up going with mechanicals, I'd be happy to help out if I can.

BTW, got the DVD today. Thanks again. I can't wait to sit down and have a look at it.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a while for the vid to get through customs it seems, but glad you got it. I'll have to get myself up to speed on putting them online before flight time.

If I see the Aerotech wheels I'll probably take some myself. Can pick you up some if they've got them David. Not a problem. I know Robart will be there, but there's are way more money, but am stopping off there to talk about a bunch of different things with them, so will find out more. Just PM with me with a price limit and I'll follow your directions if you want some.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

hi dave,
you seem to have come very far in such a short time

I only wish I had your energy

ver nice job

George
Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 AM
cliff600

Man that looks pretty cool. I wish I was smart enough and had the patients to do the gear doors and the sliding canopy. I am just excited to get it airworthy.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
wulf190

Just got back from Toledo with a whole new bag of goodies and a bunch of new desires and wants now. No way could I stay away from the Aerotech wheels at the Sierra Precision booth. I even had the Vailly aluminum wheels IN MY HANDS for 1/4 the price of these even, and said no as these are just a huuuuuge improvement over the junky Dubro jobs. Of course this was only part of the couple hundred out the window at the show for other odds and ends.....but worth it in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58237.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	441516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83784.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	441517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14425.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	441518  
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 AM
ctflyboy

In my opinion based on what your saying and what I saw at the WRAM show in NEW YORK in Feb. there's no one out there that can come remotely close to Aerotech

Nice wheels, Mile
Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
ctflyboy

In my opinion based on what your saying and what I saw at the WRAM show in NEW YORK in Feb. there's no one out there that can come remotely close to Aerotech

Nice wheels, Mile
Old 04-09-2006, 09:51 AM
ctflyboy

OOPS,
I mean to say MIKE
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 AM
wulf190

Mmmm, not so sure after seeing the Vailly wheels, as those come pretty close George. They use Sullivan wheels with aluminum 8 spoke hubs vs. the 10 spoke on the Aerotech's. However, the quality of the aluminum work and the tires themselves is top shelf on these, and I knew if I kept looking in the bag of goodies on the way home at the lesser of the two, I would have been kicking myself. These things are sweeeeet for sure. My plane looks soooo much better. I've always admired other guys ally. wheels from afar, so finally bit whilst cruising around the Sierra booth----which, by the way was a COMPLETE modelers paradise.

What a FANTASTIC show and time. I was stretched in about 5 different directions for responsibilities when there, so see that next year, I'll stay longer for sure. You can see the show in less time than the whole weekend, but there's just too many guys to talk to, and so many friends to make and meet. Probably finally met AT LEAST a dozen awesome friends through the show.....irreplacable for sure. So busy that I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you Bob. Pics coming......
Old 04-10-2006, 12:47 PM
ScottyC
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys, Have you seen the robart wheels. I'm sure you have, but I think they look great. They do cost; 150 bucks! They have a nice scale look to them with the "brake hub" on the back and the 8 spokes on the front. They weigh about 10.5 oz.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92486.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	442631  
Old 04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Wulf

I know what you mean about being pulled in differente directions just got home lite last nite my head is still going arround, It was a great show, The ne thing I miss is the lack of kits and , and kit choises what there was was over priced (my opinon), will have to keep looking for a project for next winter

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 PM
wulf190

Yes Bob, kits are sort of a thing of the past it seems. In fact, I had a good conversation with a kit mfr.---a really good one--who mentioned that in all honesty he really didn't sell that many kits anymore....mostly the ARFS. I told him I thought his kit was probably the finest kit I've ever built, and the most enjoyable. So, it's kind of sad that even guys who put out top notch kits tell you that.

Towards the ARF end though.....did you see the Top Flite Beechcraft Staggerwing ARF that's coming out? That thing was a beauty....and a good size. Nice plane indeed. I can see why kits take a hit when the quality of ARFs like the KMP 109, F7F and the Skyshark P40 out there. Those are pretty nice, and with some good finishing applications can be taken a long way towards excellent. Not much of an ARF guy, but those sure turned my head. The Sierra rotating gear was super impressive too...made me wonder about dropping a set in the Corsair.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:30 PM
rt3232

Wulf

Like you, I also talked to every kit cutter at the show and they have the same story, it looks like they have to go to the arf's as that is ware the money's at, But I have to say those that are still there are making realy great kits, did you notice everything was 120 or bigger and real small, no 40/60size kits, and as for that stagger wing it is a beaut So maybe we may be seeing the end of a errea in kits.

Boy is this a negitive post got to get my xmitter fixed and go fly, that always make a day no matter what.

Will try to post pic's of my corsair's maiden.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-15-2006, 09:19 PM
ctflyboy

RT
Did you get the break in the weather?
I thought I read that you were going to put the Corsair up for its maiden flight .
If so, how did it go?
George
Old 04-16-2006, 01:57 PM
rt3232

Hi george

Your right nice break while we wear in toledo, now its wind, 20 and up, no mater the dummy hear was going over things, I had the xmitter sitting on a rolling bench and when I turned arround for somthing, down it went, landed on the antana and face tryed to catch it with my foot and brook one of the switches levers off and sent its innards loose in the box, I am getting it packed up to day to send off for repairs, with the little set backs and delays, I think the flying god has a different schedual in mind..

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
MRGUS

First time here. Was looking for TF giant Corsair ideas. Probably going to order one today. Did you glass yours? And I hope I can retrieve any answers.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:36 PM
rt3232

Mrgus

I did not glass mine, I think ctflyboy glassed his, When and if I build another I will definitly glass. If you are going to go for scale, you will need to read corsairjock's thread for realy great simple mods ie; rudder and wing tips, the one that is all most a must is rounding at least the lower half of the fire wall to fuse sides to in hance the air flow, I know this is a big thread but some of the mods are detailed in this thread. there are lost of pic's that might help.

The real experts on scale are Corsairjock, For scale out line's, Dion and D Bronk for detail, its just my opinon, but if you have a question I will be glad to give what I know, or point you tosome one else.

Outher wise just build it to the plan and the instruction book.

One outher thing be sure to move the c/g at least a 1/2 inch fwd of recomended, it eliminates the snap tendency just befor tuch down.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 PM
ctflyboy

MRGUS
Welcome aboard, you got questions ? we got answers !

AIN'T THAT RIGHT RT!

GEORGE
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 AM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Glad that I found this place on rcu, just started my giant corsair yesterday, have the elevator and the rudder done. I have read through about 3/4 of the thread so far and have seen many good ideas on various build tips and such. This is my first giant scale kit, but I have build a few others. I am just going to take my time and read, read, read and read.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:19 PM
wulf190

Awesome--welcome aboard the fun ship mates. All the info you need is here somewhere.

Mike
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 PM
rt3232

Hi Goldenclan

Welcome aboard like Mike said all the info you need is in these threads, If you are not into super scale just build it to the plans and manual, but like I suggested to Mrgus move the c/g fwd 1/2 inch to avoid the snap tendency right befor tush down,

Take pic's if you have a digital camera makes it easy to ask questions, and get good answers.

Cheers Bob t
Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Goldenclan,
Welcome aboard I can assure you of 1 thing but, I'm not sure of what.

George

Old 04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
rt3232

Ctflyboy

How are you goming as you havent posted any pic in a while??? I am still waiting for my xmitter to come back from repair talked to them yesterday they will ship late next week[>:][>:] as they are realy backed up, can't waite to get the corsair out .. Cant fly the next 5 days as weather is saying rain and more rain[&o]

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232
I'm at a standstill, I hope to be back at it in a week at which time I'll post some pics

George
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
rt3232

Never a stand still!, Just pauseto rest the mind and fingers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.