Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 PM
RCPILOT78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

I posted some photos of my construction progress in my picture gallery..I am not sure how to add them to my posts yet...
Old 09-23-2006, 08:20 PM
cimara

i am still having problems with the fuse crutch the angels of the top, bottom and gas tank floor dont match the angel on the plan . i have lined them up with the correct lines on the plan but three corners line up perfict the cornner on the right side is of by 1\8 inch have the changed the thrust ange
Old 09-23-2006, 10:02 PM
RCPILOT78

cimara .....are you talking about the way the mount box is shorter on the right side...because it is designed that way for the 3-4 degrees of right thrust built into the motor mount and firewall..both sides will not be the same...the right fuse crutch is cut back for the thrust angle...the crutch floor and the tank floor are angled to the right...
Old 09-24-2006, 02:38 AM
Jon72286

Hello to all warbird fans. I have been building for a few years (mostly 40-60 size and a few 90 size birds). I want to get started in Giant Scale and I want to build this Corsair. Would this be a good bird to get started on giant scale? I have good building skills and building is my favorite part of the hobby next to flying. Just hoping if someone could give me some advice if this is a good kit to get into this type of plane. Any info would be great. Thanks, Jon
Old 09-24-2006, 08:35 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Cimara, the Sullivan pushrods should work excellent in here I think. They're more like gold-n-rods in their install and use, but are somewhat stiffer and lighter than the standard jobs. I've also got a set in a Ziroli Hellcat going together at the moment. My buddy used the same ones in his FW as well after he saw the ones I had...Unless I use arrow shafts, these are my standard pushrods now. Might wanna check how long they have to be though. I think it's a choice of 36 and 48" lengths, so longer than 36 and you'll have to cut em.

RCPilot, one of the mistakes I made early on trying to post pics was always just using the "fast reply" button to post vs. using the "post reply" button and then clicking on the upload pic link in the bottom left hand corner of the post reply box that comes up.....the fast reply box doesn't have one. But maybe you're already beyond that part and it's the finding of the pics on your hard drive that's the issue. Welcome seeing your progress.

Jon, The build isn't really complex or anything, and the manual really spells stuff out for you, like the other Top Flite kits really. I can tell you that building something like a Ziroli from plans is a little different ballgame in terms of instruction and stretching your skills and building self-efficacy. It's seemed a little more rewarding to me to go the Full Monty and get a Ziroli kit....Lots of the best choices in scale warbirds reside getting a kit cut from a cutter and getting the parts from the manufacturers it seems as the market is small enough to not drive a huge production of more formal larger kits like the Top Flites. I love my TF Corsair though. It's a really nice size and you know it's a proven good flyer that won't bite you if you respect the way it should be flying. The only tough part in the build as I saw it was sheeting the gull section and doing the flaps.....but don't ask George how the gear door install is[X(][X(]
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 AM
RCPILOT78

JON...just like wulf190 commented..the tipflite corsair kit is one of the finest in my opinnion...quality is excellent and the instructions are clear and easy to follow...no serious hidden building problems with this kit...just build it light. and use the proper power plant and you will have a great plane..

Anyone interested I have posted some pics in my photo gallery...just click on to my gallery icon at the bottom of each of my posts...and click on the individual photo for detailed info.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:50 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All Have only been following along the last few days, and it looks like we got some builders conserns.

On the push rod questipns from F-7 aft be carefull to alow room check dia. of golden rod to dia .of the gray tubes as there is not much clearance to play with, and move the alignment holes to match.

Cimara boy I am having problems trying to see your troubles with the fuse crutch, after build ing 2 of these critters my only thought is did you get 2sets of the left side and no right. If you havent thrown the scrap away check the sheet #

Rcpilot78
If your still having broblems posting pic's PM me and I can send a step by step the way I do mine.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-24-2006, 01:53 PM
cimara

yes rcpilot but the angel i measure is 5 deg to the right it should be 3 degrees according to tower hobbies specs is this going to be a problem
Old 09-24-2006, 02:06 PM
cimara

i put a picture of the problem i think i have in my gallery i cant figure out how to post pics in here
Old 09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
rt3232

Cimara

I got it now!. so asuming everything aft of F-1 is online with the plan, there is a coupla of ways to handle, When it cimes time to instal the fire wall take 1deg off the left side and fudge the firewall by a deg, or if you soft mount your engine there is probably some adjustment there. I think I posted pic's aways back in this thread on this, if you don't find PM me and I will repost.

Good luck Bob T
Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM
rt3232

Jon

Don't let the gear doors scare you, I was a plaster & plactic patteren maker in my youth and the method I used all thou out of date by todays std's it gave me a set of great fitting doors.

Like wulf said this is a great kit and will fly right out of the box if built per plan and instructions, a lot depends on how scale you want to be, there mod's that can easely be made to fool the non expert corsair buff, and still have a great flyer.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM
cimara

cool thanks so i can just fudge it a little didnt want to fly in circles oh i am using popular to thiken the front so i can round of the edges to a 1 inc radius heard popular was more stable than spruce u think that will be ok it will only add 8.5 ounces?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:05 PM
rt3232

Cimara

That will work just fine, when make your your radious you will cut into it, just go easy when sanding as it will not sand like the balsa, I think you are going to use a G-62 and from what I under stand if you have a final weight of under 30lbs it will be a great flyer.

Weather finaly got a break so with luck may get a madien this week

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-24-2006, 03:55 PM
cimara

sweet this project is so addicting good luck on your madien flight and thanks for the help Bob
Old 09-24-2006, 09:24 PM
rt3232

Hi All some pic's that might keep you fire going

This was my frist bird first pic is on finial sbout 25secd from touch down, next pic is role out, as sissors are closed
Following pic's of th hatch covering the switsh charge pulg and the air fitting hsve sence added sgsge

Hope these help
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27750.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	529818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15810.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	529819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17460.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	529820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15790.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	529821  
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
RCPILOT78

rt3232..great pics...need more explanation on what is going on....you say this is just before touch down..and the next is the roll out...what did you mean by ( as sissors are closed ??? ) was this the maiden flight of your most recent topflite G/S build... curious how much did your G/S weigh ? also what was the covering used on this bird.. here is a pic.of my progress..I really lightened the tail area and it is still strong back there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11336.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	529846  
Old 09-24-2006, 10:08 PM
rt3232

RCPILOT78

When all th weight is down the sisssors are alittle more than half wyclosed varey hard to see in computer pic. but in print off off camera it was clear

Hope that helps

cheers Bob T

t
Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 PM
RCPILOT78

rt3232..yea ok I see what you ment....also how much did the bird weigh out at.?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Jon72286

Well thank you all so much for the help. I just put my kit on order from Tower Hobbies. It is true that R/Cers are the best group of people out there. I guess its just that we all love Planes!!! I do have another question for all you guys. What is a good power plant for this bird? There are so many optios for it, its almost imposible to pick one. I know that I want to go gas. And in answer to your question I will be going for a good scale look with plenty of detail and WEATHERING!!!!! That is my favorite part ( I have a big static model and airbrushing background). I cant wait to be the most envied pilot at the field. The only funny thing is that I am in Japan and the Japanese I fly with will love it. I am in the Navy and I am stationed on board the USS Kitty Hawk but I have a nice place out in town when the ship is in port. Heck, maybe I will take my Corsair on next cruise and ask the CO if I can launch it off the flight deck lol. Thanks again all. You guys are a true help.

Thanks again, Petty Officer Jonathan P. Green USN
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 AM
rt3232

Good morning guys

My first bird weighed in at a slim 21lbs majer joints were glassed covered with ultra coat.. New bird is rhe same but with strut and gear doors, tapered and changed shape of wing tips and shape of rudder (per corsairjock's sketches back in thread) so it some how got chubby so it is a mean 23lbs.

That tail group looks great, don't forget to hollow those blocks that go back there..

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-25-2006, 03:14 PM
RCPILOT78

thanks rt3232..that weight is just right for that wing loading...and yes I plan to shave as much balsa as I can in that tail area much better to add af few ounces in the tail...than have to add pounds in the nose to ballance !!!!!!!! as you can see I have drilled out everything that I could..
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Shoot RT, my plane almost weighs that already!! I gotta get her on a diet.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
rt3232

Hi Jon
About an engine I am using a G-62 and it flew my first bird with authority, still no maiden its the s@#% ts, but after seeing my flying buddy fly his 1/3 pitts on an evolution 52 at half throtle, I think that would also be good choice.
About the scale, then I would recomend reading "Corsairjock" thread "1/8 scale top flite mods" becouse there is a welth of great ideas that can be used if you plan ahead, also you might check out "Dionysusbacchus" thread "royal corsair .60 project" There wing tip and rudder mods in this thread, if you have excess to a large printer you can get dwgs from Chance Vought web sight. I think you need about 17X21.

Now about that flight off of the flight deck be sure to get a vido, and if you are under way you will ave to deal with the lso, and I can't think of a way to follow the ball..

Rcpilot Just rember to move the C/G fwd, there is lots of info back in this thread on it, and outher threads in RCU

Wulf but you have a lot more scale into yours, and I will bet you still wont go over the 30 lbs..

Cheers Bob t
Old 09-25-2006, 08:17 PM
rt3232

Jon The engine is a revolution 52, from a canadian firm, and the web for dwgs is Voughtaircraft.com
Old 09-25-2006, 08:52 PM
cimara

http://www.brisonaircraft.com/revolution.htm how would you mount the revolution 52 its 8.4 inches long could u put the carb inside the fuse and lose the cup mount or did i look up the wrong engine ? i thought about using it because it wouldnt stick out of the cowl but discarded it because of the length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.