Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:58 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

found this place that sell g62 for 384 i assume it includes the muffler and prop drive but u know what assuming makes one
Old 09-25-2006, 08:59 PM
cimara

woops for got the link http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...ah/Zenoah.html
Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 PM
cimara

just trying to learn how to chose other engines i am not giving advice not qualified but with these guys and 30 years i might be but doubt it
Old 09-25-2006, 09:48 PM
RCPILOT78

hey cimara that is where I bought my G62 also got for that price but it comes with a huge stock muffler that won't work with our cowl..I had to order the pitts inverted muffler from them the muffler mounts so the can is behind the engine head..its a much more compact setup.I buy all my engines from Chief Aviation..they beat everyone on price and no shipping charges....
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

RT3232,
Well, whats the story? anything on a maiden yet?
Still sanding the fuse hope to get a 2nd coat on this week.
George
Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ctflyboy

Still no maiden The weather and my time away from work just won't come to gether. last week of hehab so that will free up wed afternoons and if no rain this w/e plan on giving it a try.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Jon72286

Hi all, again. Things are going good with my kit. Just started building the tail surfaces. I am still in the process of buying some of the parts for the kit. I was also wondering how much longer this kit will be avaiable for sale, and after it is discontinued, will you still be able to buy the retacts for it? The reason I ask is because my buddy back in the states wants one now that I got mine but he said that he wants to wait untill hes done with a current project. Should he go ahead and buy one now?

Second, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info? I just started the Yokosuka Flyers club for the base here in Japan. We got a nice piece of land on base to fly and there are about 200 sailors who have enjoyed the last month of flying. It is so good to see the junior guys with a smile on their face enjoying what they love and having a little bit of home there in Yokosuka. We are the first Navy base in japan to have a club and we are very proud of that. As a member of the board we are starting to hurt for money to keep our field up and running. We would also like to build a pavillion and a Cook Out area. I was wondering if anyone knew of any businneses that would considering donating a kit, engine, radio, building supplies, anything that we could use as an auction to raise some money for our club. If anyone has any info they could shoot my way it would be most appreciated. Thanks again for all your help. Take care and God Bless

Petty Officer Jonathan P. Green USN
Old 09-27-2006, 05:44 PM
rt3232

Jon About the retracts they are available right from robart, I don't have there web site adderss but there snail mail address is Robart MFG Inc. 625 N. 12th Street St. Charles IL 60174 They will send you all of there lit. Now the kit I just rec'd Towers 2007 catalog and it is in there, and when I had a mix up on a part sheet in last kit, they had what I needed and send it out asap, best I can tell you.

With 200 flying or watching, hit them up for the price of a coupla of beers, or if my memory serves me I think you can get a grant from the Navy rec/dept it my thke some time but hit them up.

Sorry I can't be of more help Good luck

Cheers Bob T

PS With the number of people viewing this thread they may have a lot better ideas..
Old 09-27-2006, 06:56 PM
cimara

http://www.robart.com/Gear_Finder.aspx this is the link to robarts gear finder look under topflight
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 PM
cimara

question is it safe to drill some lighting holes in the ply at the center of the stab or is that a high stress area
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Jon,

Tell your buddy; DON'T WAIT!

I went all last summer thinking I'd pick up the kit for a winter project and then they ran out at Tower. I tried for several months to find one and when I did it was here on RCU and it went for a $100 over retail which I would have paid, but I missed it...[]

I contacted TopFlight and they told me to watch Tower's site since they were going to do another production run about the first of this year. They showed up again at Tower for pre-orders in late January and I got mine backordered. It came about the end of February and while I've got most of the parts for it, the gear is still backordered at Tower. They were supposed to be available in August, then it was September, now it's listed as mid October;

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXES63&P=K

The tailwheel was out of stock for some time but is available now;

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXET18&P=K

As is the air control kit which is most likely not a problem getting;

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXET22&P=K

I've got my house up for sale and right now I'm thinking I won't start the kit until I get into a new house, but who knows? If I get too bored this winter and the house hasn't sold, this thread is going to be a great help...
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM
RCPILOT78

CIMARA...that would be a no no in that area of the stab...yes it is a high stress area.....drill out the rudder and the elevators only..there is too much unecessary wood on those areas..I will post some pics....of my lighting holes in a few days still working in that area....
Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 AM
cimara

pics of my lightning holes are these ok or did i go too far
Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 AM
cimara

sorry guys still cant get them to up load in the thread the pics are in my gallery i would appreate some feed back not sure if i took out too mutch wood its is just drie fitted togther so i can make new ones if need be
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
RCPILOT78

cimara when you want to send a photo go to the bottom of the last post find the page >> line blue box ..below that blue line is a box with a little up pointing arrow...click POST REPLY and a reply window will come up with a File.....( click here to upload images and files ) after you type your message you click on the upload find the picture in your harddrive and click on it it should come up on your post.....
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM
cimara

no didnt work must be the way my cam stores them thanks rcpilot. the pics are in my gallery
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10640.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	531918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14907.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	531919  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
cimara

hey it worked cool thanks rcpilot so the pics dont show up till after u post . anyway did i take out to mutch they r just drie fitted togther i can make new ones if need be
Old 09-28-2006, 04:28 PM
RCPILOT78

cimara... you did do good the only thing is I did the same thing I also took too much off of the stab saddle...the hole you drilled is where the stab saddle hard wood block is mounted ...you will have to check the plans and see where that block goes and just replace the wood in the hole..use epoxy on the block and on the wood you put back in the lightning hole...no big thing just carefully replace the light ply back in the stab saddle..mine was easier I drilled 3 smaller holes and had to only fill the center one...
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
rt3232

Hi guys looks like you have things under control, so will just follow along.

I have one comment this is from memory, and I think first year in college, for wood structures, lighting holes in wood or ply you should always have a minimum of 3 times the thicknes of the wood as the web width ie: edge of wood to hole or hole to hole.

Cheers Bob T
Old 09-28-2006, 05:16 PM
RCPILOT78

another picture of corsair progress ..I took out all wood that dosen't need to be there just adding tail weight..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	My25177.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	531975  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM
RCPILOT78

rt3232.....I usually maintain at least a 1/4 inch seperation thats more that enough...especially in a non critical..or non high stress area...there is an earlier post where someone also recomended a 1/4 inch seperation...If you can't maintain that seperation best not to drill large holes...If you see my latest post you will see what I mean...I tried flexing that rudder and It is still solid !!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
cimara

I used 2.5 times the thickness of the wood i was drilling between the holes and the edge of the ply thanks for the help I don't normally deviate from the plans but deemed it necessary after all I read about how heavy this plane is
Old 09-28-2006, 06:19 PM
cimara

Are you talking about just the stab base and not the the base supports as in were the stab gets epoxied on . the only piece that you can see with 4 holes
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM
cimara

Rcpilot looks like your are giving your tail fin a airfoil shape . am i seeing that correct looks great . i did the same thing by changing the 3/32 balsa out with 1/4 inch balsa and a lot of planing and sanding. didnt add too mutch weight most of the balsa comes back off
Old 09-28-2006, 09:17 PM
RCPILOT78

cimara..I am talking about the stab saddle behind former 10..you have 4 holes drilled, the second hole is where the stab doubler block is glued under the saddle base..you will have to put the 1/8 inch ply back in that hole. look at the plans in that area and you will see the block where the screw goes throuth the stab and into the block....

yes I am airfoiling the entire tail group....and yes the kit is really over built in the tail section...which is ok I would rather make the decision on how I am going to modify the plane...this kit is absolutely one of the best I have built to date..with a little bit of skill and engineering you can come out with a strong but light plane..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.