Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM
foxfoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Does anyone know how many are actively building and at what stages their planes are at? Would be curious to know...

Also has anyone done a marathon build and have an idea as to how long it takes to build one of these (quality construction and medium scale appointments) from start to first flight?

Mine I would estimate is 75% completed with the wing framed and fuselage built. Cockpit is assembled and painted. Control surfaces are not done nor is anything glassed yet. How about the rest of us?

Charlie
Corsair Brotherhood #7
Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hi guys,

I posted last night on a Dom Miller (and let's not forget about Sparky) that went for about $97 on EBay . Well, my wife saw it this morning (I never I should of hidden it) and said before I paid that much for a Doc Miller I could fly with a $10 Ken doll from Wal-Mart. Wow, that took the life out of me for completeing my cockpit.

Foxfoto,

My Corsair fuse is 85 - 90% complete and my wing is framed up. I've hit a wall for my building on it right now and have switched to my F-14 Tomcat, it's just in the starting stage.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Tomcat_104

Well, my wife saw it this morning (I never I should of hidden it) and said before I paid that much for a Doc Miller I could fly with a $10 Ken doll from Wal-Mart.

Corsair Brotherhood #3
never Never NEVER leave your dolls where your wife (or anbody else for that matter) can find them...

(sorry David, just had to post this one)

V.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cimara,

I got mine off ebay for $37.00. I hate having to cut his legs off too but what else can you do. This is the one I'm putting in the 1/8 scale Corsair. I have to shave down his shoulders and actually I have to cut him off just below the waist and then put his pants on and fill the legs with foam so they look OK. If I didn't do what RCPILOT68 did he wouldn't work. His looks great and you really don't even know it's been though major surgery. I'm using the expensive one for the Giant. Here's a picture of the one I just got.

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30021.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	611500  
Old 02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
cimara

Yall need to check these gear door actuator from smu gator it is just sweet and simple post 566 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#5352835
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Tomcat_104

Hey guys,

I just saw a Giant Scale Airplanes Corsair here on RCU and it got me to thinking. They advertise a giant scale airplane on their website and in their name but, it only has a 75.5" wingspan. Many guys show up at our "Giant Scale Fly-In" with their planes. I thought a GS Airplane fell under the IMAA rules and had to be over 80" wingspan. What do you guys say? What do you guys think? The last time I was healthy and attended a GS Fly-In we said before the fly-in that IMAA rules had to be followed. We had a beautiful GSSC Corsair (black) flown by a well respected R/C pilot. Noone said anything about it although it clearly did not adhere to our rules. I ask since I'm running out of arguments to a friend who's planning on buying a Giant Scale airplane.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
cimara

I dont have a problem with anyone bringing one and showing their aircraft at an event but they should not be able to enter any of the contests. Sorta like a super chevy car shows there are always other makes there but they cant enter the contests .
Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Tomcat,

Technically what the IMAA rule says is 80" wingspan or 1/4 scale which is what makes my GP Patty Wagstaff Extra legal with only a 78" wingspan, it is 1/4 scale.

I'm not sure about the contests you mention since I've not participated, but in the IMAC world the specifications of it being a scale model of an actual aircraft with no more than a 10% deviation from scale, are being pretty much ignored these days. If it is recognizable as an actual aircraft, they let them fly.

Now a Scale Masters meet is a whole 'nuther story...
Old 02-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Tomcat_104

Zeeb,

Doesn't the IMAA also have a special rule for biplanes? Maybe 60" or so. I have no problem with the Giant Scale aircraft company I just tend to agree with Winston more. Where I need help is; is the Giant Scale plane really cosidered a a GS plane?

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Zeeb

Tomcat,

Yeah there's something about bipes, IIRC it's 68"...

What constitutes a GS is the subject of some debate right now, due mostly to manufacturers like GSA wanting to call smaller models Giant Scale. I think it's still pretty much accepted that stuff under 80" is not considered Giant Scale especially by those who already own them, those who don't own one are the people pushing the new definition.

Personally I don't care, but those who claim smaller models fly like the big ones and are therefor Giant Scale, are just kidding themselves and displaying their ignorance if you ask me.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Jon72286

Hello guys. I am not sure if you remember me but I was on this build thread a while ago (about 4 months) but then I had a deployment on my ship to the persian gulf for a while and now I am back in japan and ready to start building my corsair that has sat in a box for the last few months. I am not gonna lie, I am a little intimadated with it lol. I mean, I am a good builder and have a few kits under my belt but this is the largest project that I have ever taken on. Any of you have some advice on that, or maybe just some words of wisdom? Anyway, how are all of yours flying. I remember there were a few of you that were close to getting yours up in the air before I left. Let me know whats new and if there are any more problem areas or tricks that you have discovered before I start my Corsair. Hope to hear from you soon.. take care- Jon
Old 02-02-2007, 07:50 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Jon wondered what happend to you, great your back

The only advice I can give is plan ahead, go only as fast as you are comfortable with. Don't be afraid to ask questions, read your manual twice un the secound pass hi-lite any thing that don't make sence to you, and as for scale mod's mark the manual so you don' get cought in a corner

Cheers Bob T

Corsair bhother hood #5
Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Tomcat_104

Jon,

I agree with rt3232. I am disabled from a stroke and I am building a GS Corsair too. It is hard but with this thread I have encountered no obstacles that I couldn't over come. As a matter of fact so far my Corsair looks a LOT better than Top Flite ever said it would. Good luck and follow rt3232's advice and you'll be fine.

Thank you for your service to OUR coutry. I've never asked but I believe think their are a bunch of guys who feel as I do.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Jon
WELCOME BACK
If I can help in any way PM me

George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 PM
foxfoto

I certainly am appreciative of all the sacrifices our service people have and are making to keep us safe. My wife is the chemistry supervisor at a VA hospital... Law Enforcement was the limit of my public service. Anything I can do to help...

Charlie
Corsair Brotherhood #7
Old 02-02-2007, 02:33 PM
NCIS

foxfoto,

I was a Houston Police Officer for 20 years until I retired. Where did you serve? How long. I kinda wonder what all of do or did.

Jon,

Welcome back. I'm intinedated too. Just start building it and it will come to you. I'm building bothe the 1/8 scale and the giant Corsair and so far on the small one it is a piece of cake. Very good instructions and plans.

Gibbs
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Zeeb

Hey Jon,

Welcome back and my addition to previously mentioned gratitude for your service.

Gibbs,

Retired Firefighter/Paramedic here, 30 years with Provo City Fire Rescue in Provo, Utah. That's about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City, Utah and has a population of about 120,000 for those who might be curious...
Old 02-02-2007, 02:44 PM
foxfoto

[quote]ORIGINAL: NCIS

foxfoto,

I was a Houston Police Officer for 20 years until I retired. Where did you serve? How long. I kinda wonder what all of do or did.

NCIS, I was full time municipal in Bar Harbor Maine for several years then worked part time for about another 12 years in the central Maine town of Winslow. Seems like a lifetime ago as I graduated the academy back in 1981... I am pursuing my passion for photography and have been for many years now. I combined it with my love of aviation and specialize in aerial photography. I have a pair of Piper Cubs I use for my aerial platform, one is on floats and the other on gear. If we ever get snow here again I might put it back on skis... I used to help out at the academy with firearms training but my buddy who was the State Police firearms training officer retired. I also used to competition shoot and have about 75 trophies mostly for police combat. Don't do that anymore either...

Was wondeing if the NCIS was for the Navy like the show which I very much enjoy watching. Have lived in Fla, Il, Ny and Maine but never Texas although that is where my mother was born. Have been there once or twice... Always nice to touch base with another law enforcement officer... Charlie
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Jon72286

Hey guys- thanks for the words of wisdom, and it is a pleasure to be of service to the good old USA. Anyway, I have a few days off and i did a building marathon yesterday and got a good part of the tail fin done. Is it just me or dose it look like it is going to come out on the heavy side. ANy ideas on how to lighten???? Thanks- Jon
Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 PM
cimara

Glad to see your back Jon.It is an honor to have a member of our fine military on the thread .You still going to add smoke to your corsair?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
cimara

Got my solo prop today the thing weighs a full 15 onces [X(] hopefully with that thing stuck out there on the end of the 62 6 or so inches past the fire wall i wont have to add much weight to the nose
Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Jon

Go back and review this thread I know it's time consuming start with I think with page 7 and make notes to pages that ypu might want to go back to, that makes things easer. But to ansure your question lots of lighting holes I found a 3/4 hole saw worked for me.. just alow 2 times the material thicknes edge of part to edge of hole, trim the fuss and C/A on the ones close to the edge of part

cheers Bob T

Corsairbrotherhood #5
Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 PM
NCIS

foxfoto,

I love the show and that is where I got the Idea. I also use it for almost all my passwords and logins.

Gibbs
Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Jon72286

Thanks for the help. I had to go to the Excahnge and buy a whole reem of paper to print out the thread. Took a good few hours to look through the thread but there is so much help. i dont know how I ever would have been able to build the plane withouth this site. As for smoke Cimara, I would like to but I am not sure how to go about doing it. After reading the thread I hear that the plane comes out on the heavy side. I plane on using a G62 for power but I am not sure if adding a somke system will add too much weight. I still want to be able to do those awsome vertical pull ups from a low level pass but if there is too much weight I dont know how that will work. Plus I put all of my radio gear over the plans and looked at where I could put a pump, oil tank, etc and it is a little cramped. Anyone in here have smoke in theres?

Little extra note: I have a few rc cars and if any of you or anyone you know interested in any of the Japanese brands like Tamiya, Yokomo, Kyosho, or any others let me know and I would be more than happy to ship one out and save you some cash. I know my buddy got a TXT-1 monster truck for about 250 US dollars and it is 370 on tower so there are some big savings. Models are cheap over here to, about %40 cheaper than american hobby shops and web sites. A lot of kits you cant find in the US too. Just thought I would try and help out anyone interested in RC Cars or Models. Take care- Jon
Old 02-03-2007, 09:21 PM
cimara

For the ones that would like to build a larger corsair this ones for you Or me http://www.nulantek.biz/WAR-F4U.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.