Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 07:08 PM
devens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

NCIS, or should I address you as agent Gibbs? the wife LOVES all CIS's and I get roped into watching sometimes.

I was just sent the video of the sliding canopy by Tomcat and watched it right off the bat. I will forward it on to you. I don't need it now that I have watched it. I believe Tomcat is going through some medical procedures right now and he probably would appriciate not having to deal with sending another copy. Maybe we can make this a chain video for corsair brothers

I will send it off tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM
cimara

Gibbs i havent bult the 1/8 scale corsar ijust have the plans and instructions .I used them to see if i wanted to build the 1/5 scale corsar
Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM
cimara

Tim try this thread on rcu its brian talors with folding wings http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._2/key_/tm.htm and this sight might help also http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._2/key_/tm.htm. Thats way out of my skill level but with yalls help some day i will try it
Old 02-05-2007, 07:33 PM
devens

guys,

I need some servo advise. I have read serveral posts with model numbers and such flying around but to keep things generic can soem post what they would say is the recommended specs for servos. I realize the throttle and retract servo have lesser requirments. I think the tower website recommends like 56 oz/in minimum. That definatly sounds a little weak.

I am planning on using digital servos.

Are metal gears necessary?

What torque should I use?

is a slow retract servo good for flaps? some have 2 second travel time

how strong does the tail wheel servo need to be?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

"D",

The servos I plan on using are Hobbico CS-70's. Here are their specs:

4.8V 6V
SPECS: Speed: 0.24 Sec 0.20 Sec
Output Torque: 106.7 oz-in (7.7 kg-cm) 133.3 oz-in (9.6 kg-cm)

They are metal geared and high torque. The only thing I haven't decided is 4.8V or 6V. I'm using a rate reducer on the flaps so they will travel at about 5 sec. Where I'm running into a little problem is the lights have a 5.2V maximum.

It's a thought.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 02-05-2007, 08:20 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Devens

I am using Hi-Tec HS-645 MG on elev, eail, flaps, for the price, speed and repeatablity they are great, Futaba on rud/tailwheel and on throtle don't remember the number but they are a step up from there std servo's
Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tomcat_104
<snip>

Where I'm running into a little problem is the lights have a 5.2V maximum.

It's a thought.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Tomcat,

Just get yourself a Li-Ion type regulator. I'm not familiar with all the manufacturers but the Duralites that I use in my IMAC planes come in various voltages, including a 5.1 volt...

You can check with those guys or Fromeco, Smart-Fly, etc. and see if they'll work with the 6 volt input but I think they will.

http://www.duralitebatteries.com/accessories4.html
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 PM
cimara

Do you have to use a rate reducer on the flaps i wasnt going to do that .I was going to use channel 5 on my 9 c super wich is controled by a nob and i control how fast and how far to make the flaps travel is this a good idea.Devan i am using the hs 645 on all the high torqe and fatuba 3151s on every thing else
Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Zeeb

cimara,

That works with the 9C, but not all of these guys have that radio capability...

And just a side note, since there is normally some nose up ballooning when the flaps are deployed on most aircraft, I use the slider on the left side of the radio for flaps/spoilerons. Then you have the variable deployment and you don't have to let go of either stick to use them, just use your left middle or ring finger to work the slider.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
devens

I was planning on using a 6v lipo system with a regulator. I will probably use a power box also. I will most definatly use redundant recievers and batteries!

Cimara, Are those HI-Tech servos digital. It didn't say they were on towers site. The price sure is right!

Obviously what I am tring to do is maximize performance and minimize costs....I do want reliability tho as a first priority. How reliable is Hi-techs gear and are their specs acurate?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
cimara

No deven the hi tech 645 servos are not digital but the futuba 3151 are .About relibelaty this is the first time i have used the hi tecs but i talked to several pepole that have and they liked them.DEven also check out the hobbico servoes I think they are the same servo and they are even cheaper.THe specs are the same and the case and internal replacement parts are also the same . Same thing with towwers brand of servoes
Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 PM
cimara

COOL Zeeb i was wondering what that was for . this radio is a new one for me and I am still tring to understand the book that came with it .Do they make aFatuba for dummies book
Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Zeeb

cimara,

Yeah actually they do...

I don't remember exactly what the title is, but there is an aftermarket book on the 9C from a couple of people. I spent quite a bit of time on the Futaba FAQ plus the radio forum here and there's lots of tibbits you can pick up.

Devens,

A powerbox or more specifically an equalizer has got to be the way to go for this bird, especially for those with fewer than 9 channels to work with. You get even high amperage capability to the servos without running all the power through the rx, and they have built in matchboxes so you only need one channel for the dual aileron servos, dual elevator servos, and flaps.

I've just bought some Hitec digitals for my next IMAC plane and part of the reason is the reports about them here and other places. They're a bit more than the 645's but if you buy the programmer, you can set end points, neutrals, direction of rotation and even operation speed. That seems like a wonderful idea especially for the flaps since if you get a side to side uneven flap deployment, you'll have your hands full real quick. Ask me how I know and I'll tell you about mis-rigging the flaps by 1/2 turn on the jackscrew of a Mitsubishi MU-2 one day, talk about SPOOKY!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 PM
rt3232

Cimara

you can change your flaps to a 3 position switch then you have, up take off about 10 to 15 deg's, and full flaps 45 deg's. I had the knob thing on my first corsair and it wa a bear to try to move the knob and fly at the same time. just my 2 penny's worth.

We have some 3Der's and all they are using are Hi-Tec's all M/G

I tested a coupla of hobbico and my only complante is the center point did not all ways come back to the center.

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

you had to show me the folding schematic didnt you? now i have to do it! i dont see a problem its air operated not servo operated.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
cimara

LOL Tim You might be able to lose the ply main spar and go total aluminum and save weight Tim.Just have light ply on ether side to glue the ribs to and add lots of lightin holes in theaulminum spar .Just dont use the gummy aluminum
Old 02-05-2007, 10:14 PM
timothy thompson

well ive seen the pics he says a sail winch servo but i SEE TO AIR CYLINDERS one is for locking the wing but is the other one for. KIt may be too much. All that geometry
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
rt3232

How about machining it out of ti-tane- eum
Old 02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
NCIS

Question,

I am going to be building the Giant Corsair as you all probably know but I'm now building the TF 1/7 scale Corsair to get my feet wet. I already have everthing for the Giant am am just trying to build this one as a test kit.

My question is did anyone that built this kit use Century Jet's Main Retracts? If so did it cause a problem drilling a hole to allow the air cylinder to pass through the main spar and doublers? Do I need to add more strength to that area or is it OK like it is. Does anyone have pictures of this part of the build? I'm at that point now and would love a quick answer please!!!

HELP,

Gibbs
Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

I have used these Hobbico servos on 7 planes now with no problems. On a different post here on RCU I was told that they were made by Hitec. Either way I think they are great! I bought them all from Tom Troung at TTI. Some were on EBay and I averaged paying about $23.50 for them. That was at least $10 cheaper than the ones from Hitec.

That was a good idea to use a regulator for the lights. Can I use it just for the lights and leave the servos at 6.0 volts?

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
timothy thompson

well motor is on a g-62 on a isolation mount. the spring was a bear to get on then I read directions. its still tail ,heavy!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
cimara

gibbs need more info on the clinder . were is it located in relation to the cut in the main spar for the gear to to close up in the wing
Old 02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
cimara

Bob titanuim would be great . that is one fantastic metal .It would be months before it could get machined out .That metal is so tuff.I have a titanume watch with a scratch prof cristal and the only thing scratched is the crystal.Now if you could find some adamatium that would be the ticket
Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 PM
NCIS

cimara,

Rocketman612 helped me. He did it this way as the Century Jets instructions say and his is plenty strong. Here are some pic's.

Thanks,

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15061.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	615335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80694.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	615336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73065.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	615337  
Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
cimara

Well guys I gooffed I for got my hinge blocks on one flap .I fixed it by cutting into the sheating and adding the blocks and then filling in the sheathing again .My question is shouid I just re do the flap in question or do you think this fix will be ok?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69703.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	615345  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.