Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:31 PM
CF105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, not the "Wind Indicator". But here's a bonus clue:

1 - Single engine, tail dragger.
2 - Built for a particular role. It was actually rejected for that purpose but accepted anyway for another job.
3 - The manufacturer is one that RC scale modellers are likely aware of, but not one of the “big” names.
4 - The plane in question contained a number departures from the company’s previous aircraft.
5 - The landing gear included an unusual feature.
6 - Built in small numbers (barely 100) for a single service that accepted it reluctantly.
7 - Despite the small production run, at least two airframes survive to this day. One is even airworthy and performs at airshows.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:11 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

North American P-64/NA-50 - N840

Old 08-21-2018, 06:36 AM
CF105

Had never heard of the P-64 till now! That's what I like about this thread: always discovering "new" aircraft. So no, not the P-64. Today's clue:

2 - Built for a particular role. It was actually rejected for that purpose but accepted anyway for another job.
3 - The manufacturer is one that RC scale modellers are likely aware of, but not one of the “big” names.
4 - The plane in question contained a number departures from the company’s previous aircraft.
6 - Built in small numbers (barely 100) for a single service that accepted it reluctantly.
7 - Despite the small production run, at least two airframes survive to this day. One is even airworthy and performs at airshows.

8 - A polite person might say this plane has "a lot of character". Most just say it's ugly. Certainly it's impossible to mistake it for anything else!
Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

A1D Skyraider and, yes, I know it's probably wrong
Old 08-21-2018, 08:18 AM
CF105

Sorry but no cigar. You do earn a bonus clue though:

8 - A polite person might say this plane has "a lot of character". Most just say it's ugly. Certainly it's impossible to mistake it for anything else!
9 - Equipped only two units during its brief career.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 AM
CF105

Time for a new clue:

10 - Never saw combat.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:21 AM
CF105

New day, new clue:

10 - Never saw combat.
11 - Which is a good thing, considering it was unarmed & unarmored.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 AM
CF105

Ye gads! I’ve killed the thread!

Friday clue:

10 - Never saw combat.
12 - Was found to be easy to fly... which relates to clue #2.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 PM
elmshoot

I have no idea what era, country, My guess is that it was adopted as a trainer or possible a recon aircraft.
Sparky
Old 08-24-2018, 07:11 PM
CF105

I was thinking that was part of the problem. Here's the Saturday clue, it should help:

10 - Never saw combat.
13 - Entered service in 1941.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I saw a picture of a fleet of these flying over a fort.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 AM
CF105

Sunday clue:

10 - Never saw combat.
13 - Entered service in 1941.
14 - Clue #5 relates to the role for which the plane was originally intended.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
I think I saw a picture of a fleet of these flying over a fort.

It's being clever, Johnny is. Nevertheless, maybe it's time to move on. How about the Fleet Model 60K Fort? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: Fleet Model 60K Fort

The Fleet Model 60K Fort was the only aircraft designed and built by Canadians during the Second World War and was also the first all-metal monoplane built by Fleet Aircraft of Canada (Fort Erie). It was intended to be an intermediate trainer employed for pilot training between the de Havilland Tiger Moth primary trainer and the North AmericanHarvard advanced trainer. Although it served with the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan, the Fort was redundant and was used to train wireless (radio) operators and had a relatively short operational career.

Design and development

The Fort was originally designed as an advanced flying trainer and in 1940 orders were placed for 200 to be built for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The Fleet 60 was designed as a monoplane with a low elliptical wing and a raised rear cockpit. An unusual feature was the fixed undercarriage. Although fixed, the undercarriage was fitted with a retractable fairing. This feature was intended to familiarize student pilots with an undercarriage retraction mechanism but without causing external damage by a forgetful student. Production was delayed, however, as the first Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) model was not flying until 18 April 1941. The availability of the Fairchild Cornell, and a change in what constituted an "advanced" trainer, led to the contract's being sharply cut back, and only 101 Forts were ultimately delivered to the RCAF between June 1941 and June 1942.

Operational history

Initially, the RCAF did not want to order the Model 60K, and their concerns proved valid. Pilot trainees found the Fort relatively easy to master, thereby making it unsuitable for transition to combat aircraft (e.g., Hawker Hurricane). Also, the RCAF decided that pilots who had soloed in Fleet Finches and de Havilland Tiger Moths could proceed to Harvards without training on Forts. The Forts were then used to train wireless operators at No. 2 Wireless School, Calgary and No. 3 Wireless School, Winnipeg.

Two models were built, one having a 250 hp (190 kW) Jacobs engine and the other having a 330 hp (250 kW) Jacobs. The more powerful engine gave the revised Fort a top speed of 193 mph (311 km/h) and the cruising speed 163 mph (262 km/h). It then climbed at 1,650 feet (500 m) per minute and had a range of 610 miles (980 km). Loaded weight was slightly increased to 2,900 pounds (1,300 kg).

The last Forts saw active service in 1944 and they were phased out of use by 1945; the last Model 60K was retired in 1946.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Clue # 8 was spot on!
Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 AM
CF105

The Fleet Model 60K “Fort” is indeed correct! I want to model one at some point, just for the “what the heck is that??” reaction it’s sure to get

Ernie P is up!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by CF105
The Fleet Model 60K “Fort” is indeed correct! I want to model one at some point, just for the “what the heck is that??” reaction it’s sure to get

Ernie P is up!
Thank you, Sir. Yeah, that's pretty ugly isn't it? It looks like something built out of all the rejected parts in an airplane junkyard; the pile with the sign that says "Any four parts for $0.50". Anyhow, I enjoyed your question and I hope you enjoy mine. Thanks; Ernie P.

We all know German pilot Adolph Galland wrote a famous book “The First and the Last”. This question is about another pilot; one who can also claim to be The First and the Last.

What warbird aircrew member do I describe?

1. This pilot flew more than 100 combat missions.

2. His first combat mission was very nearly his last.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Oberleutnant Kurt Wolff?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Hydro Junkie

Clue 1 narrows it down to pretty much four countries:
1) Germany
2) England
3) The former Soviet Union
4) Japan
Do you know how many pilots clue 2 fits?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 AM
Ernie P.

Lots of posts, though none with a correct guess; so more clues are due. Thanks; Ernie P.

We all know German pilot Adolph Galland wrote a famous book “The First and the Last”. This question is about another pilot; one who can also claim to be The First and the Last.

3. He was the only member of his flight to avoid being shot down on that memorable day.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Ernie P.

An evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

3. He was the only member of his flight to avoid being shot down on that memorable day.

4. Three pilots survived; and three died.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Saburo Sakai
Old 08-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Saburo Sakai
Not a bad guess, Hydro junkie; but not correct. This pilot isn't as well known as Sakai. But here's another clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. And in coming years he was haunted by the three that died; often talking about how they died.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:16 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. And in coming years he was haunted by the three that died; often talking about how they died.

6. He flew through the entire war.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:24 AM
elmshoot

Long shot...
George Gay
torpedo 8 Midway
Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 AM
CF105

My brain goes to unusual places sometimes... I’m thinking about the Wildcats from Enterprise that flew into Pearl Harbor the evening of the surprise attack. Certainly memorable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.