Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

I am in the same boat. I have the plane aand I am getting ready to start the build but don't know which retract to use. I am wanting a good set and don't want problems with not locking, ect. so I am looking for all the info I can gather. Are the Sierra gear available?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone solved the strut gear door actuation geometry? I messed with it to the point of frustration and had to step back. I experimented with a temporary linkage and while it will allow the door to open and close, due to the angle (90 degrees plus) of the actuator rod there is no force to hold the door shut with the gear fully retracted. Item of note, I'm assuming the attachment point on the strut only goes in one place, in other words, its not supposed to slide around on the rotating strut is it? Even if allowed to slide around I still don't think the geometry will work out. Par for the course, the instructions are useless when it comes to this subject. Anyway, if anyone had solved it I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10493.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1520513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37393.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1520514  
Old 10-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Mr DJ

I have the ESM gearhttp://vimeo.com/15857165

Sending to Down N Locked to eliminate locking problems, but after they saw my video, they informed me that at this time, they cannot do the gear, but can do all my other gear. They are working the issue and willget back to me.

Mr DJ
Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 PM
NCIS

DJ that video doesn't play. It just has to much hesitation. Maybe you downloaded it wrong. Just thought I would tell you because I wanted to hear what was said.

Barry
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Mr DJ

Barry, my Man...

I have 520 views of it... Hit it up again. Ijust looked at it... You can also try this, as the video plays, click on the video bar back to the beginning. This allows the stream to continue ahead of the video...

Mr DJ
Old 10-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Maybe not enough computer or band width. Mr DJ's videos are too funny. I posted links on our club website, you may of gotten a few hits from the HAWKS. BooM BooM !!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Mr DJ

Tom, my Man...

Thank you, Sir...

Down N Locked: http://www.downandlocked.com/

Mr DJ

Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Veltro

Has anyone spoken with Darrell in the last two weeks about gear for this plane? When I spoke with him two months ago, it was a definite no. Tomas had sent him a set of the ESM's to look at and he said they were decent (they are a copy of his CARF Corsair gear) and he couldn't compete with the price. He felt everyone would buy the ESMs and he would be stuck with a bunch of unsold gear.

I have Darrell's gear for the Bates P-40B that Vic sells the fiberglass fuse for. (I believe they are the same gear for the Skyshark P-40). The strut is the correct length. All you have to do is modify the plane's side rails. The problem is that because they are P-40 gear, the side plates cause the struts to sit on top of the wing skin. If you belly land, you will be sliding down the runway on the struts! I think Darrell could make this gear easily work by making new side plates. They wouldn't have the two braces that a Corsair has, but I don't really care about that. I know I would buy a set of Sierra gear for this plane if Darrell made them.

And, by the way, his scale retractable tail wheel for the Ziroli Corsair is a perfect drop-in fit with no modifications to the tail wheel or the plane required.

Jay
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 AM
lomcevac540T

ORIGINAL: Veltro

Has anyone spoken with Darrell in the last two weeks about gear for this plane? When I spoke with him two months ago, it was a definite no. Tomas had sent him a set of the ESM's to look at and he said they were decent (they are a copy of his CARF Corsair gear) and he couldn't compete with the price. He felt everyone would buy the ESMs and he would be stuck with a bunch of unsold gear.

I have Darrell's gear for the Bates P-40B that Vic sells the fiberglass fuse for. (I believe they are the same gear for the Skyshark P-40). The strut is the correct length. All you have to do is modify the plane's side rails. The problem is that because they are P-40 gear, the side plates cause the struts to sit on top of the wing skin. If you belly land, you will be sliding down the runway on the struts! I think Darrell could make this gear easily work by making new side plates. They wouldn't have the two braces that a Corsair has, but I don't really care about that. I know I would buy a set of Sierra gear for this plane if Darrell made them.

And, by the way, his scale retractable tail wheel for the Ziroli Corsair is a perfect drop-in fit with no modifications to the tail wheel or the plane required.

Jay
I spoke with them yesterday and they told me that there wasn't enough call for this gear right now. They may try to do something with them in a couple months.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
lomcevac540T

I hear that CJM is coming out with a set of retracts for this plane. Looking forward to seeing those!
On another note... I started to hinge the Flaps on mine last night and got a little lost as to how and where to drill for the hinge pins. Any ideas out there?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one of the biggest problem with any ESM gear is getting parts replaced? Is there a source for them? If the gears don't lock on the up then its not a good sign and trying to fix that is troublesome.

I would go with Sierra, Robart or even Lenny Sarbin on rotating gears. At least the gears can be fixed without having to replace them.

I couldn't agree more with Jay on the Sierra gears designed for the Bates P40B, plus the gear design is awesome and it can easily handle 25-30 lbs. The mechanism is a lot smaller unit than the Robart and the ESM so you can easily refit it on the ESM Corsair. I had Darrell lower the strut on the P40B because the strut and gear need to fit inside the wing bulge and the struts lay lower of the spar. However Sierra makes a Hellcat version where it was more flushed into the wing using the same design, this is a better option.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Has anyone seen one of these fly? Are they any good? Another problem with the 50cc Corsair and manufacturers making retracts for them is their availability. ARF PROS did not get a single 50cc Corsair on the October shipment. The next boat is due sometime in December and maybe there will be a few 50cc Corsairs then. With the holidays and poor flying weather Dec. may not be the best time of the year to buy a $$ ARF. So if I understand correctly there has only been one shipment and that was in July? Anyone have a NIB 50cc they need to sell? PM me
Old 11-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

I have just received my corsair with the ESM gear. The gear is in and I am about to move onto the flaps and the rest of the centre section of the wing. I have a Saito 450 on order for mine ...the corsair has to have a radial. It is the only engine that will do it justice I reckon. I will make my own engine mount as the stock mount does appear to have left thrust in it....not good. I want to get this sucker done and dusted fast as I have a few other things on the go. Will post some picks later....would hate to disappoint Shaun!

Regards,

Craig.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 AM
JRflyhigh
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Gentlemen

I have been following the 50cc corsair threads, and dug up a little information. First of all I spoke with Sierra Giant today and they will be producing a set of retracts for the 50cc corsair should be available in about 3-4 months. They want enough people to call and say, "Count Me In". I would take the Sierra retracts over any other brand, when it comes to the amount that goes into the plane it's worth it. They said around 400-500 will get you a set a little pricy, not to far off esm retracts. The 50cc corsair retracts by ESM are scaled down copy of sierras comp arf retracts. ESM over in China got a hold of a set and made a few changes that could result in failure. To make a longer story short I will be going with sierra, if you can wait it out should be worth it. Also he said they are unsure about going with the rear down lock on the system, they wanted a bit of input from the customers on the dilemma. They do look better with the down lock or what have you.

Second: Arf-pros will be getting a shipment in December they said there has been a lot of 50cc reservations. So naturally I had to pre order one as well.

Tom, I also will be going with the Saito 450r in my plane, awesome sounding and looking engine. The cowl is 10.25 inches and the engine 9.8 inches so a difference of .45 inch, so about 1/2 inch clearance all around the engine. Should fit like a glove. My only question is mounting it on the telescoping tube they call an engine mount, that might have to be changed. If you beat me their let me know how you do and any problems you encounter.

Third: I want to go scale as possible cockpit, pilot, retracts, doors, tail retract, sliding canopy, solo prop, and a scale exhaust system. It's going to get expensive but what the hell you only live life once "Just don't tell the wife that or I might be gone a bit sooner than planned". She will get heavy but the 75cc should do the trick.

If anyone out there is looking for the ESM 74" I have one for sale. Decided to go with the 50cc so I have a brand new in box 74" with full Sierra retracts, sierra 4" aluminum"rims/tires, and sierra air control kit. With and optional Saito 150 just broke in, with on board glow driver, two props and hub.

Keep me posted boys and lets see some videos.

JRflyhigh
Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
kochj

I wonder if a saito 325 5cy would be enough for this plane??
What is the finished weight???
Anyone actually done this plane yet??

Also....
TopFlite is realeasing a .60size corsair soon....
I am sure their 50cc size will be following that release, and anounce it January, and shipped April...??
(these are just Guestimates...)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I doubt the saito 325 is gonna cut it with this bird. I bought the corsair thinking it would be a good home for my Saito and after looking it over I am not so sure. The nose weight and the sound will probably be a benifit but the power is not really there.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 PM
fallingleaf

I'll be following as i'm very interested in that combo also!!!

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hey guys,

I have just received my corsair with the ESM gear. The gear is in and I am about to move onto the flaps and the rest of the centre section of the wing. I have a Saito 450 on order for mine ...the corsair has to have a radial. It is the only engine that will do it justice I reckon. I will make my own engine mount as the stock mount does appear to have left thrust in it....not good. I want to get this sucker done and dusted fast as I have a few other things on the go. Will post some picks later....would hate to disappoint Shaun!

Regards,

Craig.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 AM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I have seen the comp-arf gear Sierra did and was not impressed with them. some of the issue probably was that comp-arf didn't have the design complete when they ordered up the gear, but they do not have an overcenter lock in the down position and require some rework to make them reliable. For a corsair about 95 to 100 degrees is appropriate as at 90 degree the axel sometimes ends up being a bit aft in the down position by the time you get it angled to so that the wheel is all the way in the well when up. A few extra degrees is better. I think iI would adapt a set of robarts into it.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at buying 1 of these planes. Does anyone know if there is a twin gas engine that would fit in the cowling? Or does anyone know how much extra weight is need to balance the plane if a DLE 55 is used or would the DA 85 be a better choice? Are there any videos of the 50cc Corsair flying yet?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Mr DJ

I think the DL 55 is all you'll need; that's what I have for mine. I also have the DA 85 for my Gee Bee Y which is a 98" bird with a smoke system and 4 freakin' batteries and at half throttle it pulls it around like a kite: http://vimeo.com/15692828

I always go with more power than quoted, but the 85 on this small bird would be a waste in my opinion, but if you do go with the DA 85, go with a Beila 4-blade scale 20x10. The DL calls for a 3-blade 20x10 but what the hell, it will still turn a 4-blade fast enough to fly this bird. I ordered my prop from Aircraft International @ $125.

Mr DJ
Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 AM
kinverflyer

Have a look here, chap is building one with a MT70 twin up front.

http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/for...php?f=17&t=340
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM
flejter1

Thanks for the link!! That is what I was looking for. This guy is doing a fantastic job documenting his build.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
flejter1

Mr DJ,

The reason I was thinking about a bigger engine is most Corsairs need additional weight added up front, why put lead when you can add more power? I know the DA 85 or a twin would be over kill for a 85" Corsair but I was planning on running a 4 Blade prop to kill off some of the power and give it the scale look. Unfortunately I don't have funds for a MOKI so i was looking for the next best thing. The other big question is did ESM make any changes to there gear? KINVERFLYER added a link of a guy that is putting a MT 70 twin in his and it looks like it will fit without hacking big holes in the cowl. This guy is doing a fantastic documentaion on his build. Thanks again to Kinverflyer for the link!!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Magnum RC

I have mine coming as of today...  .   The only difference, is that KMP  can ship by Trucking pallet and the United Plane Shredders won't be allowed to touch my plane....  I have a Saito 450 with a Keleo Ring exhaust that is going in it with a 3 blade 22" Solo prop.  We have cockpit kits for these and it will be going in mine,  I wish I had some weathering skills to make it look like it has been at the front, but it will look great for the July Warbirds Over the Pacific event in Cottage Grove Oregon.  Looking at Kniver flyers build, those huge flaps ought to enable a 30 degree approach and landing.  Man, I tell ya, it is hard to go back to the small planes after having large ones.  It just isn't right.......  By the way, if anyone is interested, KMP still has a few of these birds for sale for Canadians as we speak.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
lomcevac540T

I was told that if a DA or 3W 50cc was used in this plane, you will need one to one and a half pounds of nose weight. I called about using a DA 85 and they advised me not to because it may stress the airframe too much. I am thinking about a G-62... they seem to be pretty reliable, and are pretty heavy. Anyone know of any problems with this engine before I start?

Also, could somebody who has already hinged the flaps, please post some photos of how they done it. I have never seen anything hinged like they say before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.