RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   CMP Zero Makeover (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/6485074-cmp-zero-makeover.html)

Sturtz 11-08-2007 10:22 AM

RE: CMP Zero Makeover

Man ,,, your really doing her up nice. You'll have something to be proud of at the field or fly-in. I just did the panel lines on mine and called it good. The rivet dotting makes my eyes bleed !! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

What kind of clearcoat will you be using when your all done ? I like the Topflite flat clear on any plane. Gas , elec or glow. Gives that paint a deeper color and more scale look IMO. Keeps all the panel lines and rivet marks in tact too.

Keep up the good work.[sm=thumbup.gif]

ForkedTailDevil 11-08-2007 04:21 PM

Sturtz..thanks for your support!! its nice knowing that a fellow modler appreciates my work! Once all the detail and weathering is done, i'm thinking of using an automotive clear...i prefer DuPont chomabase semi flat...it gives it that nice flat look but not so flat that it looks fake...kinda wierd to explain it but it still gives the paint that "metal" shine but at the same time flattens it out....i'v personally never used the top-flite clear...u say its good?

Plus, i'v been playin with several techniques to get a good flaking look...nothing has really caught my eye yet..anybody have any special advice on how to get some good ol flak scraches on her?

Sturtz 11-08-2007 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The TF comes in clear or gloss finish. I admit I use it because it's pretty much idiot proof. Won't run or puddle unless you get too much too close. Made to resist glow fuel but helps keep belly paint on my gassers when running a new or tuned too rich engine.
I use WD40 and a paper towel to get the oil streaks/spots off and it seems to work well there. I think the auto clear coat is probably the best if you aren't using a metallic colored enamel. Otherwise I find it to break down silver or bright colors. Worse with glow fuel exhaust of course.
You'll get a lot of suggestions here on this subject I'm sure. It all comes down to what works best for you. Your area of the country and base colors. I go for a flatter look on my camo than most I guess. Then again when I want that metallic shine I use a semi-gloss paint to start with then the flat clear.

I'm no TopGun scale artist that's for darn sure. :( But I do read a lot of their websites and such. Besides the old #6 lead pencil trick for weathering I have been using a fine point silver Sharpie and a match stick or toothpick. Makes those panel line/rivet flakes look real good. On my Zero's cowling I took my airbrush and shot a few places with cheap aluminum colored spraypaint and then went over it with black. You can then go back after it's cured and either scratch out the paint flakes carefully with a razor or use a credit card with some deluted laquer thinner on the edge. Then clear coat over it when your happy with the work. I've also heard some spot the area they want to flake with acetone then the flat screwdriver or razor shaves the top coat off cleaner.

The tail pic is before I opted for the pale green color. That is using the thin point silver Sharpie only. I didn't like the job I did but it gives you the idea of what I'm talking about. The cowl was done using the silver under black technique. As you can see I don't go out of my way like you have to get super scale looks. Nobody at my field really does the warbirds besides me anyway. Mainly acro/3D/pattern. But they do give me credit for at least adding retracts, guns and a pilot. They also think I'm insane for going through all the hassles that come with warbird flying.[sm=bananahead.gif] But again they respect me for sticking to my guns and always come over and look a new bird over as I'm bending retracts back in shape or airing up my tanks. Plus they spot for me when I drop a bomb from my Zeke.
I want to get the 50cc size like your's next Zero I buy. If it flys like this 120 it's a keeper.

Keep the post coming FTDevil !!

ForkedTailDevil 11-08-2007 10:31 PM

Very good advice kurt..thanks alot! The 50cc zero flys like a dream, my brother has also flown it and he will testify to it. It will def. spoil you in the world of warbird flying! And i know how you feel about being the only warbird guy! Everybody here flys 3d as well...wish i could find a place where there where more warbird guys around..oh well. I am hoping to get into top gun one day..my brother beat me to it last year with his meister p-47 (and well deserved!) It has always been our dream to make it to that level..maybe this zero might get me one step closer. Thanks again for the advice..hope to get the fuse painted sat...will post pics

Bubs

lovetoflyguy 11-09-2007 12:55 AM

Patrick,

Man it is coming out really good. You forgot the two bullet holes in the left wing....those I'll be putting on this next season![>:]

Can't wait to see the plane when you are done. I'm looking forward to the Port St. Lucy event. I know of a few warbird guys up here in Lexington! We would love to have you....you can use my workshop!

Later bro,

PJ

ForkedTailDevil 11-09-2007 07:20 AM

haha PJ we'll see bout dem bullet wholes!! [:@] Yeah i think i'm going to be able to get it done b4 the st. lucie show. I'v gotta get a spectrum on order just wish i had something to replaced that $350 worth of funds ya know what i mean!!! money doensn't grow on palm trees down here in good ol Fl. so unfortunatly i can't get paid for what i love to do...rc modeling!!! Maybe one day we will bro..tlak to u later bud

Bubs

Icemanjr92 11-09-2007 11:58 AM

Patrick,
Check your email....[sm=idea.gif]

Robtck 11-09-2007 05:03 PM

Does anyone know of a Japanese pilot figure that fits this plane? I found a 1/4 scale pilot, but this is to big.

Icemanjr92 11-09-2007 05:13 PM

How about 1/5?
http://www.aero-accessories.com/Pilots/pilots.html

Robtck 11-09-2007 06:08 PM

This pilot is a little more than I would spend for a plane that doesn't have a full cockpit. I would hate to cut it half. If I bought this pilot, I will have make a full cockpit for this plane and there goes my plan of building it stock out of the box.

Robert

Meschmidt 11-10-2007 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used the stock WM Zero GS civilian pilot and made it look like a Kamikaze pilot.

ForkedTailDevil 11-10-2007 06:04 PM

alright..getting frusterated[:@], Got the fuse all painted up today and i'm trying to create that "soft edge" look back by the tail where the dark green meets the light gray. I'v used this stuff from 3M called "soft edge foam masking tape" went everywhere today to try and find it and nobody carries it! I attempted to free hand the soft edge look....it came out ok but i am not happy with it. So i sanded that area back down and try again. I can't think of any substitutes of foam tape...any ideas??????

Edwin 11-10-2007 08:20 PM

What are you painting with? I used a pasche airbrush awhile back to free hand the soft line. Worked pretty well.
Edwin

Chad Veich 11-10-2007 11:34 PM

You can make a template of posterboard or newspaper and hold it away from the surface of the fuselage to create the feathered edge. The further away from the fuse the softer the edge. Rolled up balls of masking tape work well for positioning the template and holding it off the surface.

US185Damiani 11-10-2007 11:40 PM

An old trick is to take regular masking tape, and "roll it legthwise so that the paint edge is not flat against the surface. that will allow the paint to fog under the rolled up tape edge and create a soft transition.

ForkedTailDevil 11-11-2007 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great ideas guys..i really appreciate it. :DGot alot done this weekend..got the fuse all painted up..still gotta put the zeke marks but ran out of day light...so therefore i started riveting...yet again! Its a tedious task..but i believe once its at the airfield it'll really look nice..thats what i'm shooting for.

Bubs

Aluminum Overcast 11-11-2007 10:06 PM

YOU'RE A MACHINE! Keep up the great work Bubs!javascript:void(AddText(':D',''))

DanaEasterly 11-13-2007 08:23 PM

What method are you using to applie your rivits on your plane? thet look great!!!

ForkedTailDevil 11-14-2007 01:43 PM

DanaEasterly,
This is what i did and its actually pretty simple. Hobbico sells a soldering iron for bout 8 bucks that has removable tips. Take the set screw out and remove the stock tip and go buy you some copper tubbing, i went the next size up from the smallest..can't reember the size off the tip of my head..cut you out about a 5 " piece. After that, lightly file the edge down to aid in piercing the paint on yoru model. Insert your copper tubing into the soldering gun, tighten the set screw and rivet away!!! I usually take a piece of strait tape such as masking tape..ect and make tick marks...this helps align the rivets up and space them out evenly. Hope this helps!

ForkedTailDevil 11-18-2007 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another weeked for the zeke! Pretty much got all the rivets on the fuse..zeek marks painted, and the gear "temporaly" installed in the wings. Its commin real close. I eat, think, and sleep rivets!!! Got one more week to finish the project up b4 the flight. Hoping to get it flown next sat so therefore it'll all be ready for the show.

Sturtz 11-18-2007 09:08 PM

LOL !!!!! How many of us have fallen asleep with thoughts of the day/nights progress still in our heads ?
Raise your hands.;)

Icemanjr92 11-19-2007 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[sm=drowning.gif] ME ME ME ME ME!

Hey Patrick! Heres some motivation!

ForkedTailDevil 11-19-2007 07:08 AM

haha thought yall get a kick out of that!

gnirwin 11-19-2007 10:49 PM

how many cans of the Tamiya paint did it take to cover the plane? Also i noticed there are a couple differnet types of paint listed on their website, did you use the Lacquer? I am almost ready to paint my CMP hellcat 1/6 scale and was wondering how much paint it would take.

ForkedTailDevil 11-20-2007 07:35 AM

Gnirwin, I used 6 cans of dark green, and 3 of the light grey. The tamiya cans are pretty small but as dino said in the previous post, its a "spray and throw away" method with no clean up required w/ a gun. It paints super easy and the results are outstanding. Tamiya offers a replica color scale. For example, since I was doing a navy scheme, the paint code was dark green (IJN) and grey (IJN)...........IJN stands for imperial japanese navy. I would say get 8 to 10 cans so you'll have some left over paint incase you need to do touch up work on your hellcat down the road. Hope this helps

Bubs