Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Landslide issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM
shadow21
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landslide issue

OK first off i want to thank Mike for helping me out. BUT as the story goes.. I ordered my landslide last week and i received it yesterday. So during the break in process i seemed to have broken (or lost) one rear dog bone, the other one had excessive wear (on the wheel side) for the amount of use (3 tanks with a little cooling time in between) a front dog bone was broken and the other front dog bone was bent. I wasnt jumping or bashing this truck.. I mean heck i just got it and i didnt want to break it. Now my question to anyone else that might be able to help me. What can i do to prevent this from happening? Its apparent to me that its the hub cups thats causing them to wear out so fast. I did a little research and it said use fuel tubing in each hub cup. What about modifying the hub cup with a dremel to have a more round edge where its a sharp edge and wearing the dogbones out.. Or maybe i can add some fuel tubing where they are being worn so instead of it wearing the dogbone it will wear out the rubber. Im clueless.. I guess i can try a combo of things.

Thanks,
Johnas
Old 08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: Landslide issue

Here's the problem and this is where the fuel line comes in handy. Your dog bones are walking DOWN towards the axle hub (because naturaly they want to move in a downward direction) which is allowing it to rub on the edge of the drive cups. So you put a sliver of fuel line in all the drive the hubs to help hold the dogbones in the proper position. You don't want to to big a pieces or you will end up with bound up wheels. You want just enough to be able to take up the slack and the wheels should move freely when the arms are in the upper and lower positions.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM
shadow21

I went to my local hobby shop and the guy told me that there is too much play in my suspension and he also confirmed to me that my sway bar (stabilizer bar) really isnt doing its job... So is there any upgrades for this thing?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

There's not too much play, it's supposed to be like that, we sell the himoto version and that play has little to NO effect on the way the car runs and drives. Number one don't listen to that guy because he's probablly pissed because you bought it off ebay or something on line. The sway bars work great these trucks are nearly impossible to flip over here, watch our You tube videos and you"ll see what I mean.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/user/allaboutfunhobbies]http://www.youtube.com/user/allaboutfunhobbies[/link]
Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
shadow21

Ok thanks man. I appreciate it. I was just worried about the issue. I am aware that the guy at the hobby shop could have been leading me in THEIR direction. Ill do the fuel tubing as stated and see how it goes. I love the truck. It was fun during the break in process.. I just didnt know it literally meant BREAK stuff! LOL
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

LMAO, ya things will break, being that this is probablly, I'm guessing, your first car, these are the things you'll know to do before even running your next car. The little things like the fuel line slivers in the drive cups and double checking to make sure all the metal to metal screws are locktighted and checkign to make sure your radio is operating properly and all the rest of the little tricks you learn along the way will go along way towards pervention on the next car, so enjoy it, fix it, learn and enjoy it some more. Don't get frustrated if something breaks every time you go out either. The norm is to go out, beat the crap out of it till something breaks, LOL, at least that's how we do it. Watch those mega-P videos, they are the Himoto Version of what you have.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 PM
shadow21

This is my first nitro truck. I have a duratrax street force gp that i got like 6 years ago and it hasnt worked since the first day. Ive given up on it.. Ive tried tuning it.. setting it to the factory settings.. Ive literally pulled it so many times for so long in between my fingers started to bleed! OUCH! to be honest this is something im getting back into. Ive been into the import scene for a while and i own a modified 97 mitsubishi galant along with a 1990 mitsubishi eclipse turbo! WOOT WOOT. So the tolerances between the two are farrrrr apart lol. Like ive said. I love the truck but man.. Once it starts breaking every time i use it and becoming more of an investment then a fun factor.. Its time to store it for another 6 years.. LOL. Hopefully it wont be this way. I just need to stock up on some things and upgrade a few of the suspension components. Are there any upgrades offered for the landslide?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:49 PM
drum_n_man

My landslide has the same probs with dogbones. I bought front universals and put them on the rear. they work better but not much adjustment now. They will still come out but at least they don't get lost. That's really the only problem (unavoidable problem) I've had with it. But since I hit a cinder block, broken upper arm, suspension holder, bent the front dogbone from the trans, one universal to the wheel, and a shock, I've been out of commision. Once I had those things fixed enough to drive, the screw for the throttle servo fell out and held it wide open. had to drive it to me and put my foot in front of it to stop it. stripped some teeth on the spur gear[:@]. Can't wait to see what happens next. By the way, not to step on any toes, I've turned over mine a few times when turning. The set screws to hold the sway bar in place don't work the best. If you tighten them to hold the way bar they just pull from the diff with very little tension. I took mine off and didn't notice any difference, but that could be my driving style, I don't really bash. But I do love the truck.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
shadow21

Well guys my parts came in today. I got to run 1 3/4 tanks in before the freakin wheel flew off! I had issues with the wheel nuts. I had to keep tightening them down so finally i thought i had it down.. So i did a few passes up and down the road and BAM the wheel goes flying down the road and finally stopped into the ditch!. I must say im very impressed with the handling of this truck on the street and holy hell this thing is fast. Im still in the process of leaning it out. The temps were like 170 deg on the cooling head so thats good i think. So here is the bad news. the driver side front axle is warped. Now i went through the tedious process of putting fuel tube in the cups to keep the slack out and the others look fine. Why do i keep warping front dog bones? Im gonna stiffen my other sets up with some sort of metal sleeve then like soldier it to the middle so it makes them stiffer. Anywho for what i paid and as fun as this thing is im a satisfied customer!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
drum_n_man

I think it happens on-road. Mines the same, it hooks like h3ll and I think somethings happening there. Not sure but the bones are pretty flimsey, be nice if they were a little fatter. Never had a prob with the wheels flying off, yet[]. It is a fun truck though.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:18 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Hey I've been trying to PM you back tonight but, it doesn't seem to want to load the page. If you get a chance Drum_n_man send me an email to [email protected]. Thanks bro.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM
kuppler

Hey...the MegaP and the landslide are totally different, They don't have any parts in common........
Old 08-26-2008, 07:05 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

OMG, it was you, they have a few things in common, they do have simularities, like the transmissions and some other key parts, like engines and clutchbells, front hub design, dog bones. and a few other things. No one EVER said they were the SAME. Read closer adam. I said version, implying they are different but, with simularities.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
kuppler

oo ok wade i must of miss read... LOL i do that sometimes u know that.. HAHAHA
Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
drum_n_man

Aren't the front hubs different?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

i'm pretty sure the only thing they share in comon is the transmission style, spur gear setup, engine and clutchbell setup and there both made of a flexible poly plastic and maybe a few little things here and there. with both spur gear setups being the same that gives some gearing options, other than just the cutchbell, though. like the 39 tooth spur, 45 tooth and the 43 tooth spur gear. I think those are the 3 gears if i'm wrong please interject with the appropriate gear tooth, lol, i'm using my phone so I can't double check the teeth specs at the moment.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
drum_n_man

2 more dogbones down the drain[:@]
Old 08-26-2008, 05:48 PM
shadow21

Ok well i just drove yet another half tank through this truck. I went to a local hobby shop and got some lug nuts. Well during the whopping half tank of gas the truck busted another rear and front dog bone. Im at the end of my rope here. I get 10 minutes of play out of this truck and it breaks. I called mike and he told me to tear the truck down and look it over to find loose axle cups and whatnot. So once i do this and everything checks out where do i go from there?. I dont even jump or bash this truck. ***?!?! Redcat doesnt have my back? There is nothing they can do for me... Whatever. I appreciate you guys' input and whatnot. I have a feeling this truck is going to be for sale soon. Sorry about the rant guys but this is really pissing me off.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Redcat_Mike

see darin's post below
Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
drum_n_man

Well I know my stuff is ajusted good but still problems. I know I'm not the only one now. This is from today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22467.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1020129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61346.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1020130  
Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 PM
shadow21

I took the rear apart and i found no loose cups or anything. Everything was square, tight and all that.. So where do i go from here? Im sorry for getting rude on the phone mike but i chose redcat because i thought you guys could do more for me then whats been done. Im not trying to get free stuff im just trying to get this taken care of so i can ejoy this hobby. I took a break from building my cars and whatnot for this same reason (stuff breaking). So what can the problem be here guys? I think you guys should take one of these trucks out of the box randomly and not adust anything on them and just run it to see what were dealing with. Then make your adjustments and tell us exactly what was wrong and if it isnt something we are able to fix revise it then give us a nice discount on it. BTW my dog bones look exactly like drum-n-man dog bones

Thanks,
Johnas
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
drum_n_man

[:@]Time to try a retro-fit I guess. Everything on mine is adjuted as t should be. My last on broke while putting aroun my back yard, halfthrottle tops. I thought at fist it was from being on pavement but 3 broke in the grass. ***[:@]
Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
shadow21

ORIGINAL: drum_n_man

[:@]Time to try a retro-fit I guess. Everything on mine is adjuted as t should be. My last on broke while putting aroun my back yard, halfthrottle tops. I thought at fist it was from being on pavement but 3 broke in the grass. ***[:@]
Im not sure if im gonna waste another set. I know its not right and i know something is wrong. The backs break and the fronts bend to the point where they break so im clueless. Please redcat research this problem and let us know whats going on. I really would like to be a future customer for you guys. Its a new product and there is always something wrong with new things released to the public. I checked the drive line dog bones and they are fine. No wear on them at all i would assume those should get the most stress because they are first to get power they are made out of the same material... SO......................?????
Old 08-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Redcat_Mike

see darin's post below
Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

hey mikeyou need to read a few posts up drum n man already told you that he has adjusted the droop the full distance to get the least amount of droop.

if that's not helping check your chassis droop tabs and see if bending them upwards will help minamize the downward travel. the only other otherthing would be that the dog bones are too weak for the application and need to thicker to handle the torque of having to get those big wheels moving.

if I was in ya all postion at redcat I think I would re test them out and reinvestigate this problem or find a few different people to test them out, because obviously your not beating on them hard enough or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.