Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 PM
ozzie-crawl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial Outboard FE Tunnel Thread

mite be quicker for me to drive it along the east coast to you peter than post it
i like your old man already and we havent even met lol
no i dont work for the council but know someone who does and he has been told so will see what happens,fingers crossed

iam in 2 minds, i want to desperatly run my vs1, but i get real nervouse first time out with a new build and dont want to wreck it.
every time i build a new boat its like "iam only setting it up for sport use,mid 40s will do" then by the second run its like hmm wonder how fast this puppy will run [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
dam that speed addiction [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 02-27-2010, 12:33 AM
10x8

My oath it would. We will get Jessica Watson to do it or is she coming round the other side of the earth? I am not sure on passing your remote to a chick attempting youngest around globe challenge would go though?

Ha ha, every one loves the old man. I gave him my fully hopped up Kyosho Mad Armour 3 speed nitro truck. He will only run it when I visit, but man o man, the jockularity. You know what he does? He potters around with it going really slow and says,
'Son, do you see the precision driving? See how I am doing this, that etc.'

I think I'm old mate and told the much older, old man to friggen booooooooot the thing, give it the be-cheesus man? First time he went through all 3 speeds on OS21 engine powered truck with its nose in the air was priceless. He did not say a word, as the coot was concentrating. I rebuilt his Liberte 4ft ship for him with graupner motor bow thruster. I broke it as a kid with a snooker ball and he was very upset. My mates helped paint it and even replaced the broken copper letters and repolished them.

Anyway mate, I would also like to say, that the sound of an outrunner, with fan, mounted outside, re: our tunnels, with wood hull is something to behold on the water. I turn the brake option ON in ELECTRICKERY in the water due to plane esc, but jeez, spooling them up with brake off on big lipo!! The only sound I can think of on EARTH, would be Skywalkers X Wing starting up.

Plz remember your flex shaft shot when u get it. I don't have your hyper drive, but curious son.

Cheers, I'm havin' a beer

Ooaroo
Peter
Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM
10x8

Sorry Scott,
Forgot the nervous thing. I shake like a jackhammer every time I put my high powered elec boats in the water. I calm down pretty much soon after. It's good being nervous mate. Would you or I or any tunnel nut on this forum be nervous with stock ebay wingrush? I think not.
You won't wreck it. Take ya mates and recovery toy inflatable boat and just do test sessions till ya got it dialed.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 AM
ozzie-crawl

once i start running it i will probably have 10 million set up questions for you lol
i can setup a mono after 1 run, a cat takes me 2-3 runs to get were i like it, i think this tunnel may take a bit longer
my first run setup will be, c.o.g 30% , centre of prop 5mm above sponson bottom this puts the bottom of the bullet about even with sponson bottoms, angle will be neatrul to 1 deg pos
prop will be either a y537/3 or a m440/3. if that runs alright a s215 will be tried.
your rite tho testing testing testing is the key, i like to buy decent hulls but dont have the $$$ for neu motors and such so stick to some of the better cheap gear.

yep wont forget flex picture

scott
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 AM
10x8

Hey Scott,
That's why I said send it to me and I'll do all ya testing, lol. Return it to you "fully sick" mate.

Now, you are a member of OSE, Rum & intlwaters? I am not member of OSE, but read.
Ask them all mate & see what happens. I hope they help you out. Most are pure racers on those forums and will help to a point.
For me, I have got great info on nitro setups for tunnels on them and met friends, but they don't appear to be very humorous and freely give out tips like on RCU.
Plz don't get me wrong here, but really my TS2 with Neu and 5s would probably be like a toy to them compared to those .21 MACS I have seen.

Peter
Old 02-27-2010, 03:02 AM
ozzie-crawl

dam you have seen my idiot remarks on o.s.e [:@] myself and a few others like to stir things up over there a bit,i wont comment on rrr [:'(]
tried to become a member on intlwaters but never get a replie,probably better for them
as far as nitro verses electric tunnels go from what i have read the electric having more weight is an advantage less blow offs, and we both know electric have more power available
it would be interesting to see 2 top drivers of each going head to head.
speaking of racers a few have already sent me some emails regarding my vs1 with pics of there setups and builds very helpful some of them.
but your rite it can be hard to get info out of some races, i dont race and iam no expert but i like to post pics of my builds even the not so good looking bits as others can learn even from my mistakes.

scott
Old 02-27-2010, 03:17 AM
ozzie-crawl

ORIGINAL: 10x8

Plz don't get me wrong here, but really my TS2 with Neu and 5s would probably be like a toy to them compared to those .21 MACS I have seen.

Peter
dont know about that peter, look at the spec classes they run with tunnels, most of the guys going well run around the low 50s with both ts2 and vs1 hulls, the top few run a bit faster but that comes down to setup and props and then i think there on the max verge of the hulls capabilities.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:35 AM
10x8

Scotty mate,
I am being very conservative and don't want to upset the assassins and real racers that do frequent us amateurs here mate on this F/E tunnel forum.

There are big time tunnel racers on RCU, believe you me, they poke around in Ryans f/e outboard thread.

I have MAC .21 on TS2 (50% Nitro) with sal pipe, and Neu 1515/2.5D on 5s on other TS2. I cannot get my nitro to the speed of any electric tunnel I own from still launch of course.
But mate, the MAC powered tunnel that I have setup, at full speed, will just nearly match the electric. The MAC powered tunnel is sick because it is louder than the outrunner on wood like I told you.
My boats are nuthin' mate. You should see the boys boats they race at Penrith/Newcastle. They make mine look like a steam ship.
In gods truth, I have seen MAC 21 powered nitro wood tunnel, do the most absurd speeds, Penrith. He was testing too mate & flipped it. SO many people, like me, were around him asking him questions, whilst he was starting his motor, bothering him like a fly, and he kept answering me!

Finest regards my outrunner friend,
Peter
Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 AM
ozzie-crawl

being diplomatic hey lol.
doesnt matter if its rc cars,boats or planes there is always some guy thats quicker than every body else.
i could go up north and race and iam sure i would learn a lot from them guys, but to be honest i have no desire to race, iam more than happy doing my own thing.
i spent years on and of racing rc cars both on and off road and both electric and nitro,you meet some great people and learn a lot but i just cant put up with the bull sh*t that comes with it.
getting less tolerant as i get older lol.

thats the good thing about this hobby you can enjoy yourself immensely doing your own thing, i actually like tinkering with my boats some times more than i do running them.
that being said i cant wait to get my vs1 wet just hope some kid with a Tandy special doesnt turn up and blow me away lol

scott
Old 02-27-2010, 05:02 AM
ozzie-crawl

on another note check out this short video, its crappy taken from my phone but you see were i used to run before it got full of weed, its about twice the lenght you see in the video.
my boating buddy is haveing a go at my DF cyberstorm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrL1ligv9gc
Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 AM
norbique

I'm reading your posts and watching the photos you put up with awe. I'm in the process of building my own tunnel from foam and ply.
Thanks for sharing all the info here!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 AM
ozzie-crawl

the way i look at it norbique is all i do is bolt bits togethor wich is nothing compared to your building skills, iam in awe of your work
Old 02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
10x8

Scott,
That's hooning. Such a shame ya pond is covered in weed, looks nice. Big too.
I also prefer tinkering/building most of the time. Me too mate, raced cars for ages, as a kid though. No more, just fun. One of the boys started racing his big gasser 1/5. I go on weekdays when it is quiet with him to test my electric cars in all scale. No one harrasses me and my mate acts as car getter'a and I do the same for his session. Sometimes his brother comes for all the better. Sometimes, I stand on the track and just belt it up and down the straight like some kind of madman!
Any news on your tunnel? Can your Mystery speedie be programmed? I forgot to ask, again, curious.
Now boys, I am estatic today as I found a collet I thought I didn't have. I put the Align 1650kv on replacing the 1620kv. ELECTRICKERY is once again ready for battle. JC, did you hear that? New flex shaft, old one had started to come apart at the top end. Been going awhile though.
I would still like to widen my TS2 radio box and replace nitro tunnel with push pull steering system instead of silly coathanger wire I used? I ain't no pro, that's for sure, lol.

Peter
Old 02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
ozzie-crawl

hi peter, yes looking for a new pond, gold coast is built on water ways,there every were but there salt water [:@]
the mystery will be programmable,have to wait till i get it to see what programing system it has.hoping i can a least change timing to 15 deg.if not may have to use my mgm esc.
vs1 may see the water in the next few weeks
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 PM
JCAustralia

I hear ya mate. That's great news!!! Look forward to see that rocket of yours in action one of those days.. Love the quality of those German hulls.

The Skater hull is so tempting..... I need to give to give to my lonely K&B electric OB a nice hull. Been alone and untouched in a lovely cardboard box for a while now.....

First of all I need to sell a few stuffs to finance this purchase. Also due to work and family commitment I've decided to have only 1 hobby - RC boating. The rest will be sold and I'll stick to RC boating.

Remember the old Mitsubishi Magna I drove to meet you guys? Well its on Ebay now. More will follow.....

Sorry I know this is a Tunnel thread but I need to ask how is the Sailboat going Pete? Got it wet yet? Was working on mine yesterday and did a few mods/improvements.....

Went to check Sydney Park on Friday early night, but it was too dark. Could only see the lake for the top part of the park.....

Norbique

Your craftmanship is First class. Good on you mate.

Cheers

JC

Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
10x8

Isn't there a lake west of goldie? Advancetown I think. Is that fresh?
I went to Gold Coast and loved the hinterland as well as the beautiful beaches.
Weeks for the VS1? Right, that's it, I'm flying up now with parts!
Look forward to when you get it in the drink.
You know what else? I wish other tunnel nuts that have written in here, would write in here?

See ya
Peter
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
10x8

JC,
The reason I have been an electronic grumpy sack a crap lately, is due to a few things my friend. Of course, Electrickery after it did not go. My yacht is still being processed at Hobbyking, as with the batteries for the Jet boat. The allen screw in the collets wouldn't come off & my dremel safety glasses have gone missing. I have to send a motor in for repair to H/K and the Align motor as well. The Mrs & her mum were on the pish, dancin' & carrying on at my place and the Hotshot Sprint fell down and buckled the motor mount and busted off front section bits. My TS2 nitro needs new steering as I used a coat hanger, lol. I think that is it.[:@]
I am very happy with the Skater again though. This motor is meant to be better than the first run of Align 600's. I am using the flex shafts from Kris he made for the Lawless.
Jeez, ya car? Cheesus. I am ebaying my airboat for the yacht. Same with Bobos.
Don't go walking around Sydney Park at night, few nutjobs. I suppose with anywhere though.

BTW - If you do go HM, build it with Bob together to compare everything. His is in silly box too, not wet, never will. Mutant Bob, lol. He wants his OS on it.

Peter

Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 AM
ozzie-crawl

hmm maybe your thinking of hinze dam,that is one place that has crossed my mind but its of limits at the moment due to the dam being made larger.
there is a few other places to check out as well, there is a nice spot i have run at but it has like 10 million ducks in it, and lumps of bird sh*t the size of baseballs floating around lol
yes would be great to get some input from some of the guys that race tunnels

scott

p.s no need to bring them up just post your lawless,nue and esc up
Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
10x8

ORIGINAL: ozzie-crawl

there is a nice spot i have run at but it has like 10 million ducks in it, and lumps of bird sh*t the size of baseballs floating around lol
lollollol.

Hinze dam maybe? Worlds biggest BARRA!!!
scott

p.s no need to bring them up just post your lawless,nue and esc up
Ok, will do, in the post buddy. Do you want Viv's mount, but Tigers NRL colour.

Classic about duck crap, don't want that in the drive shaft. I'd imagine duck crap would be bad for F/E? I have been attacked my some kind of swan or bended necked insane hissing bird during F/E tunnel. Also got pecked by an emu on the noggin' cause I dropped the damned birds feed pack. Bent down to get it and the emu assaulted me mate. I wanted to slap it, but wildlife types were there.

Pete
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 AM
ozzie-crawl

coat hanger wire lol nice one peter, when i got back into fe a few years ago i had a couple artr,s and had steering problems due to crappy wire and fittings.
after searching around hobby shops (these are they only bits i buy from them as i dont like there highly inflated prices, being a cheap skate *******) this is what i have found.
thought i would post some pics give new guys some options,if anyone has better ideas please post.
okay first of i use 440 size stainless steel rod that has thread one end,in the first pic you can see a dubro safety lock quick link that joins the rod to the servo,these are fantastic,they screw on to the threaded end, there is a steel pin goes threw the servo horn then a slideing clip stops it from coming out.
second pic shows a soldered on clevist for the rudder,these just solder on the the rod that doesnt have thread, made from s/s they dont rust.
4th pic shows in side my vs1 were i have used soldered on clevis on they inside,the reason for this is on the 3rd pic you can see i used dubro swivel ball links, the reason for the ball links on the out side is to let me able to adjust lower leg hieght with out the servo rods height having to change,once the hull attitude is sorted i can then change bolts to shorter if need be. also useing ball links allows the lower to be tilted pos or negative with out the steering rod changing.
i will post some close up shots of these clips and pivot balls later

scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47440.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1389068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25012.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1389069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93025.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1389070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82786.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1389071  
Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 AM
10x8

Yer I was in a rush with the coathanger theory. I'm going to try push/pull next.

Scott, this is what the forum needs, input like this, excellent work.
I hope tunnel nuts take note.

Peter
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
ozzie-crawl

thanks peter

here is some pics of the quick links,solder clevises,rod with thread one end and swivel ball mounts.
forgot to mention i use the 440 rod on single rod applications but with the push pull on my vs1 i used the next size down as there is 2 off them and the rod thats pulling doesnt bend.
the rods normally only bend when try to push the rudder to hard, 440 size usually stops this, if possible because we mainly turn right if you can have the servo rod pulling the rudder to turn right instead of pushing the rudder this also helps greatly.
these parts are relatively inexpensive you could do 2 boats for about $10, but they take out any slop or unwanted movement in your steering system.
i have run boats at over 60 mph and at that speed the slightest unwanted movement in the steering can have disastrous effects.

scott
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 AM
norbique

Man you Aussies wake up early
Thanks for your compliments guys, I'm doing my best! I've updated my tunnel thread with some fresh pictures. I was up 'til 2AM yesterday. Couldn't stop gluin'

Scott, is the scorpion motor stronger than the UL-1 motor? Also, you're using the 1900KV version @ 4S right? I'm thinking of a 6S setup, that's for sure. The motor in that case should be somewhere around 1400KV right?! I'm also thinking what can I sell to finance this project somehow.

Peter. could you post some pics of the push-pull system? I would be very grateful.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 AM
JCAustralia

Hi guys

This thread is alive and kicking thanks to you guys

Been hearing quite a bit about the Scorpion motor lately. Can you please tell me who sells them? How much do they cost?

Also is it a direct fit for a 540 motor, ie 5mm shaft and 2.5cm screw spacing?

Norbique

I notice you are from Hungary an if I'm not wrong Toysports is made in Hungary by Mr Joseph Toth. Is Toysport very popular in Hungary? Something like Hydromarine in Germany?

Cheers

JC
Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 AM
ozzie-crawl

norbique there are a lot of guys getting good speed from the ul-1 motor, the main reason they run this motor tho is because its allowed in there p-spec class.
i have talked to a member on another site who has run the scorpion on his vs1. he said that he was getting a bit more from the ul-1 motor but hadnt tried larger props to take advantage of the torque the scorpion produces.
his finding were the same as mine, not till you up the timing does it come to life, i ran 15 deg.
i tried a 3026 1900 kv in my mean machine,the be motor died before i could test it more i believe the motor wires shorted killing the motor, before it died it did manage to spin a m447/3 for a short run
i was very surprised the power it had spinning such a prop, i had to be careful on take off as it would throw the hull clean out of the water, i would estimate the cats speed in the mid 50 mph mark with that prop.
in theory the scorpion should out do the ul-1 motor, ul-1 motor is rated around 800 watts compared to scorpions 1400 watts from memory.

i believe the push pull setup peter is talking about would similar to mine on the vs1, if you go up a couple of posts to #445 and look at the third and forth picture you will see the servo has 2 rods going to the lower leg, one pushes as the other pulls.

scott

i will try and find the video of the vs1 with scorpion motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.