Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:43 PM
benny2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proboat Blackjack 55 Catamaran

how mutch do you think shiping is from the usa to you?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 AM
cobra525
My Feedback: (5)

I believe they named the boat after the card game (blackjack). If you notice the paint scheme of the boat , its actually a red painted heart around the cockpits as the jack of hearts shown on the small top decal. It still should have had a black jack though. I kind of wish I could paint it different and might if I can finally get on the trouble free level with it.

Resident Dawg, If you drive to WHH as I did, you must be in FL. It would be fun to run both Blackjacks sometime.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Resident Dawg

Yeah it would be cool to run them at the same time. There is another BJ55 that runs at the same lake. He is new to RC boats, and very timid to run it by himself. We run every Sunday in Ft Myers. There is a lake on the corrner of Six Mile and Metro right next to the sheriffs station.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
wayneuk01

worst way 400-500$ to the uk ..but when your shipping a container its only £1000 as thats all my bro payed for his dodge ram srt10 from ohio to medway port in the uk ..
Old 03-17-2007, 03:42 AM
cobra525

One of my pipes O rings was not seated properly (my fault) hence the water leak. The Black Jack has been running great all week now. The clutchless adaptor is worth its weight in gold. I must agree with previouse advise given here. Who ever buys this boat needs to do three things: balance the prop, dismantle and secure the main clutch screw with a small bit of locktite, or go clutchless. also back the header screws out from the engine just enough to get a little loctite on them. I put better lock washers on mine also and have had no more issues as far as my header coming loose which was my last problem. Its worth it in my opinion. Given its taller profile, its a change from most other cat hulls that look all the same, and a nice change from the ol vee with flames painted on it. Sure there are better more expesive boats out there but they will all have issues sooner or later.

Dawg, I might drive to Ft Meyers for a few runs with you guys this Sunday the 18th if its not raining.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:56 AM
harleridr

Hi Shmuzz
I am just getting started with my 1st boat and need a little help. will dropping the rudders a little bit help in a heavy cross wind? 15 to 20 mph is the norm here in S.TX.I have run about 1/2 gal of gas through it . Carb settings are as recommended from the factory . the boat runs fine for the 1st15 minutes then engine seems to want to stall when slowing down to make a turn (we run in a fairly narrow pond ) Is it too soon to start adjusting the carb. at 1/2 throttle it seems to run fine. any ideas on this?
Fred
Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 AM
02WRX
My Feedback: (2)

Just curious what/if there is a comparable Cat hull to this one that's RTR on the market??? I'm willing to put hull quality aside with what I've read here. Seems like a few small mods take care of all the complaints about the BJ55????
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 AM
cobra525

Hi HARLERIDR, Its possible the motor is just new and may work it self out of it. Its also possible your engine is heating up, check if it sizzles. Try opening the high just a hair to see if the problem goes away. I had a similar problem once, The hose inside the tank was messed up and sucked air while turning if the tank was less than half full. I have also seen a throttle servo constantly glitching which made it seem as if the motor wanted to quit, but acually it was a radio antenna problem.

I sold my Blackjack to a friend and got a Bonzi. As far as the Blackjack HULL, its a great huge hull that can truck thru the nastiest chop with no trouble at all. I saw no quality issues with it what so ever. It is worth the effort in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
peterj59

does anyone know what i could use as replacement rudders for the BJ 55, i busted mine
Old 04-10-2007, 08:07 PM
peterj59

do you know where i can get after market rudders for the BJ 55, Harizon is out of them
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
peterj59

do you know where i can get rpplacment rudders that will work for the BJ 55, horizon is sold out.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
hdking46

i have read in this thread that warehouse hobbies duel rudders will work... someone may chime in. call tony at WHH he maybe able to help
Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 PM
harleridr

Hi
The rudders from the SW55 will work but you have to grind about 1/8 in. off the top of the rudder to make the shaft a little longer but they will do in a pinch
Fred
Old 04-11-2007, 01:11 PM
harleridr

Hi
I bought a BJ 55 three weeks ago as my first r/c boat. I have only run 2 gallons of gas through it and have had no problems yet. I bought through my LCO and they assembled it, a clutch bearing was replaced at that time as it did not feel right (they found it had not been greased), everything was then locktited, lubed and the carb. and radioad justed. No problems so far.
My thanks to Gerbers RC and Twisted Liquid for all the help.
Fred
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 PM
nshumway

I have a shockwave 55 SS and the Blackjack 55 and am overal very pleased with them. Nice boats for the money. Sure there are ways they could be better but the price is right. I modified mine to be able to run off electric power as well- take a look at www.nshumway.com
Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM
remyredjo

HI Blackjack 55 owners

At a previous post one of u guys posted to lower the rudder to handle better in turns
I did that but the drag that i created was more then i expected so i put it back on default

Still i don't like how the BJ55 turns if u turn this boat at full speed it will flip sideways
Has anyone figure out how to fix this problem, because in turn i have to trottle off to turn, i have a proboat thundercat 31 nitro and with that boat i can turn at max speed no problem

Also some fellow boaters staed that the prop is to high
The prop shaft should be at the same level as the 2 sponsoons and now its somewhere in the middle
is this a design problem or is the prop better lower down

u guys with more experience with cats

please advice

because there is not much BJ advice on none forums

Remy
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem is that this Cat has a high center of gravity so that alone is going to make it want to roll in the corners. You might have to either back off on the throttle or make wider turns.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 AM
shumzz

HARLERIDR, peterj59, remyredjo

Lowering the rudders made it easer for me to drive my BJ into the turns I have never flipped my boat just spun it out a few times.
I take it on a big lake now so I deal with large chop now, not like San Diego any more. I like having more room. I also deal with a lot of wind on the large lake I do notice this a little but I put Hi-Tech high torque servos in when I bought my boat, this helps as well. As for the drag did not really notice because I make sure the rudders are knife sharp, and keep foam on them not to rip the sets in the real boat. Parts are a problem for this boat. Proboat/ Horizon Hobbies are not doing a good job keeping up on this and they give poor info on when there going to be ready. But the Ware House hobby duel rudders will work if you’re savvy and handy with tools. Take a look at http://www.aeromarinerc.com/ they have a ruder solution for the BJ and SW 55 owners. I would also look into there struts as well.
On the strut height, I’m no pro nor do I race, but on my BJ my strut it set at max lift and angle. I do cavitate a little some times and when the wind is blowing it can get a lot of lift and then air but it’s so cool to watch. I run a twisted liquid prop and a 275 Prather. Now saying this it takes the prop even higher then noted. This all is my liking as well as all my other information given.
I run my boat all the time, some times all day long. I have had it for 4 months now. I lost count on the amount of fuel I have run in it. I have gone threw a lot of rudders due to wood floating in the lake I go to. This does suck and the stock rudders have been sold out for a long time as well as the strut. I have been using the SW36 rudders and I believe the strut will work as well. I want to do away with all this and go with Aeromarinerc. I will let you know when I do

Have fun,
Shumzz
Old 05-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Bob-143
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Blackjack owners any new videos .
Old 06-02-2007, 02:01 AM
harleridr

Hi Shumzz
Thanks for the info about the rudders. I will be talking to them today. I talked to James at T.L. even sent some pics in order to get some info on a special cut prop. That was a few weeks ago I even sent his sample prop back (wrong shaft size) I still have not heard from him. I am trying a prop from dasboata delivery was almost over night , great workmanship too.
Fred
Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 AM
hdking46

TL you may never get it.... ordered twice my mistake 4wks nothing. dashboata great to deal with!!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:31 AM
harleridr

Hi Shmuzz,
I placed an order with Aeromarine for the rudders w/water p/ups, bailers and something else, can't remember what it was. I'm not thinking too well this time of the morning , I,ll let you know how they work out next week.
Fred

Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 AM
ifp123
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: wayneuk01 THIS BOAT IS HUGE i see it in my local model shop today but the price tag is also a very large £950 ....lol ..@ todays rates $1833.87 a tad expensive dont think they will be selling many here

950.00 GBP = 1,833.87 USD [:@]
United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.93039 USD 1 USD = 0.518031 GB
Interesting price for a <50mph boat. Does that include a Futaba 3PKS?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
WILDGAS

How fast is the BLACKJACK 55? Do you have this information?

I know the SHOCKWAVE 55 go around 47 MPH, but I don't know nothing about the BJ 55.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:34 AM
SmattaHead

I saw one of these boats in an ocean cove here in the northeast while out on our real boat last weekend, and was very impressed! I spoke with the owner, and he was very happy with the BJ55. The thing is a flat out blast!

I have been reading as much as possible, and am curious how this boat compares with the Enforcer SG from warehouse hobbies. Performance, price, ease of use, run-time, and reliability are all factors in my opinion.

What say you experienced boaters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.