Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Joe and Ed's Weedy 25cc gas boat. 48" Mono hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Joe and Ed's Weedy 25cc gas boat. 48" Mono hull

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM
doomracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joe and Ed's Weedy FX26 Xtreme gassy boat. Mono hull

a nice all around charger is a hobbico triton 2. i have the triton, and really love it. it will do just about any battery type.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMAJ0&P=ML
Old 09-22-2008, 11:46 PM
gojoecrewchief1

and maybe somthing a bit cheapear cant even come close to popin out 130 bucks right now
Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 AM
rcboateric
Banned

joe, your hitec 311 can't be a rudder servo cause its torque isn't strong enough to pull the rudder, go grab a HS-645MG, it would be a right servo. can't see what carb you are running, if you are running a 257, the needles should be 1 on H and 2 on L, you also raise the strut 1/16" by 1/16" until your boat gets a good run. BTW, make sure the fail safe is work before run your boat.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate your prop has way too much negative in it as it is it will push the bow down making your boat run wet and slower level it up inline with the keel line and it will be much faster.What rudder servo are you running? if its high torque its fine if not change it for a high torque or 1/4 size servo.
Mart
Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 AM
martno1fan

Another thing is you should have left the plastic shroud on the motor as it helps direct the air to the head,hows it working out for you as it is?.
Mart
Old 09-23-2008, 06:00 PM
gojoecrewchief1

I wish somone would have told me when i first started modding my motor to leave all the shrouds on when this first all started. It seems to be ok maybe a little warm but i don't have a heat laser to get the temp. I would like to water cool the head but ill have to find out from one of the guys i know if he can mill it for me. Im running a Hitech HS-311 rudder servo don't have much money right now so going to have to do for a while do you think it will be ok? I know eric says no go but second opinions are always accepted. Sorry about the prop setup there in that pic it really isnt setup how it will run its just sitting there not tight as i just put some greese in the flextube.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
martno1fan

Your boat turns ok doesnt it? yes stick with the servo for now its not a race boat its not under as much stress as a zen powered boat.The motor might be ok as is dont worry too much ,in any case you will no doubt be installing a zenaoh in it next .Motor will get hot never mind warm even water cooled motors get quite hot .Run it till it dies which could be a long time as those weedy motors are quite robust.
Mart
Old 09-23-2008, 07:03 PM
gojoecrewchief1

I have not been able to test it out since the weekend it should turn quite well now as the rod is no longer binding on the transom hole. I am in the process of getting the bellows seals for the rudder rod and throttle. That is going to take a while to get in but until then im going to use silicone to keep it dry. Has anyone bought these from this guy? http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterproof-Push-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
rcboateric
Banned

joe, 311 servo is basically applied for the throttle cuz its limited torque and plastic gear, 645mg's(metal gear) price was not bad since lots of people began using digital servo, check this out, it only cost $26.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitec-645MG-HS64...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitec-hs-645mg-s...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Ill probably end up buying the servo from the http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitec-hs-645mg-s...d=p3286.c0.m14 i just want to wait till tomorrow to get the lowest buy out. I saw it earlier when i researched it but didnt like the no refund sales are final for a used item. thanks again eric
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 AM
martno1fan

Joe i got some really cheap chinese mg metal geared servos and ive had 4 of them and so far no probs you might want to check those out.wasnt from these ive linked but they look the same.Im running one in the hydro and it turns great at speed,another tip for rudder pushrods is try to have them so they pull to turn right seeing as you turn right more than left it stops any undue stress etc.
[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B506-2x-Torque-Metal-Gear-Digital-Servo-MG995-Futaba_W0QQitemZ270277713717QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em270277713717&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C24 0%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/link]
Old 09-25-2008, 06:28 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Hey guys im about to make some turnfins i have some plans for a mono fin but they just seem way to big 5in long ya.... i think if i downscale them on the printer it will work out just fine. But, can anyone give me a good measurement of theirs my boat is a 49in. mono btw if you have not figured that out :-D Also i do not have any chines on it currently but i do plan on adding them before the 2nd paintjob. i have some 1/2slats of pine i think i can have a woodshop down the road cut them for me into 4pcs maybe lol. think that would work? Also what if i did not put chines on would turnfins help at all?? Thanks for all your help so far!

Joe
Old 09-25-2008, 06:30 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Hey mart when you say have the servo pull do you mean the rudder should ahve the servo linkage on the right side if you are facing the rear transom?

Joe
Old 09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
martno1fan

yea so to turn right the servo is pulling the rudder pushrod rather than pushing.by the way my turn fins were arround 80 -85 mm long i think.Chines or strakes? chines are where the bottom meets the sides strakes are what creates lift they are on the bottom.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Yep know what the two of them are but thanks for making sure I was just wondering if i just put on turnfins could i leave out the chines or do you need chines for the turnfins to work...make more sense?

Thanks

Joe
Old 09-26-2008, 02:01 AM
bullboy8

Chines are essential on any boat i.e. canoe, yacht, sport, etc. Its roll is both for plane and turning a boat. It helps you get on plane/stay on plane, and when turning it helps your boat "grab" the water as you’re turning by kind of making a pivot point to turn as it cups the water. If a boat doesn't have chines it will "skip" or "slide" sideways while turning making all your turns wide (as you know firsthand). All turn fins do is give you more lateral face surface to hold the turn better at higher speeds more or less. It will help, but you will be much happier with chines Tell me if I’m wrong anyone, but I think that the jest of it.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:13 AM
martno1fan

OK your WRONG naa just kidding or been argumentative lolol ,yes chines are a good idea stick some on there .Hey bullboy im gonna have to keep an eye on you your learning pretty fast.
Mart
ps munro i win
Old 09-26-2008, 02:23 PM
bullboy8

Thanks Mart, I still need all you guys to keep me from making rooky mistakes in the future LOL We were all there once, but i'm there now -Ed
Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 PM
dwr9

Actually you're not talking about chines. The chine is just the edge where the side meets the bottom of the boat. All boats have chines in one form or another. If you mean the rail along the chines that direct the spray out and away from the boat, you're talking about spray rails. They may or may not affect the handling of a boat, it depends on the boat and the setup. If you mean rails along the bottom of the hull , they're generally reffered to as strakes and they're meant to lift the hull out of the water. Again they may or may not help handling. My boat was designed with spray rails, but no strakes, although a lot of guys have added strakes to them when building it. If you are running a Zenoah or other higher powered motor, the strakes are not necessary on my design. I removed all but the sternmost 18" of the spray rails on my boat and it didn't affect the handling at all. I suspect it would run fine without any spray rails at all. Doug
Old 09-27-2008, 12:46 AM
bullboy8

Joe has a hard chine (Squared off). I always thought that the "spray rails" served more than the propose of pushing water away while turning. I have really never seen a boat without spray rails. Just made sense to me that it helps cut the water while turning. Joe's hull and mine are identical other the spray rails, same rudder setup (depth, servo push/pull, engine, etc.).....so why do you think his take a mile to turn and mine spins on a dime so to speak? –Ed
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 AM
martno1fan

Ed there could be other reasons his turns wider,rudder throw, torque of the servo ,pushrod bending.While i think the spray rail could stop the boat sliding a bit i dont know how much effect it has on turning.What i do know that on this design having them all the way to the bow can cause the boat to dig in and spin in the turn,thats why several of us only ran ours for 2/3 s the length of the hull from the transom.Best way to see if spray rails improve turning is to try them,get some quick set epoxy and stick some on and try it.I could be wrong but the wildthing they use for nitro racing doesnt have chine rails or spray rails but im not 100% sure on that one.
Mart
Old 09-27-2008, 04:44 AM
bullboy8

I'll see if joe would want to do that, yah it just got me stumped. I ran mine up about 2/3 of the way and I can tell it helps on the spray when breaking waves. We are going to try to get out on sunday we will see what we can figure out then. I thank all of you for all your help, sure does speed up the trouble shooting process well bed time here 2:43AM, catch you all tomorrow!!-Ed
Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 AM
gojoecrewchief1

I have not taken my boat out since i fixed the rudder setup so yep going to see on sunday ill spend today making some makeshift chines which are larger than what i have at this moment. See if i cant get them epoxied on and sand them down and run it to see how they affect the handling. Can i use fiberglass epoxy resin though its all i have that is quick set epoxy?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
martno1fan

should work fine .
Old 09-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Dreamin Hemi

It will be fine. Used that thoughout my plug build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.