Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Joe and Ed's Weedy 25cc gas boat. 48" Mono hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Joe and Ed's Weedy 25cc gas boat. 48" Mono hull

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 AM
bullboy8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joe and Ed's Weedy FX26 Xtreme gassy boat. Mono hull

Thanks a lot Mart, that video helps a lot. Just a jee wiz question...how much diff. do you notice in MPH with a balanced to an unbalanced prop on one of these woodys?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed wise not sure but it makes a lot of difference also its better for the handling too as the boat wont prop walk(veer right) with a sharp balanced prop.You might gain 4-5 mph at a guess maybe more its hard to say.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:59 AM
jacob711

an easy way to balance props that i have used is to get one of the things in the link, although it is designed for planes it still works ok
http://www.*********.net/index.php?m...oducts_id=2997
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 PM
doomracing

i beg to differ on the magnet balancers. use the parallel bar type. way more accurate then a magnet one. talked to quite a few guys, and all say the same thing. even Grim says a balance beam balancer is best. he's winning, so i'll listen to him.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 AM
bullboy8

Alright I got my woody back from getting clear coated, REALLY SHINY Got everthing back in except stinger and rudder cuz I want to give it a few more days to cure. What do you guys think?

Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: doomracing

i beg to differ on the magnet balancers. use the parallel bar type. way more accurate then a magnet one. talked to quite a few guys, and all say the same thing. even Grim says a balance beam balancer is best. he's winning, so i'll listen to him.
Magnetic balancers are extremely sensitive. Have one for my planes and they work well, but for boat props, too sensitive. Try one you'll see. A scuff or two with sandpaper will definately be noticiable.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
doomracing

true Doug, but it's a weight problem. balance a boat prop on a magnetic balancer then put it on a balance beam ballancer, and it will be out of balance. the peeps i talked to never went the other way around, but i'm not going to get a magnetic one and try it. Grim has a page showing how to make a balance beam balancer. i'll look for the link. found it. here it is:

http://aquacraftmodels.com/accessories/prop-tuning.html

here is a nice tool i got off evil bay to hold the prop while filing it during sharpening, and balancing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120297226450
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
martno1fan

Hey mate she looks great ,i notice you used my idea on the spray rails at the deck,very smart it will keep everything dry unless you flip it hehe.
Mart
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Thank you for all the info on prop balancing it will really help in the long run. I met a fella on another forum that is going to help me balance my first prop just to start me off. He also said "just like you guys did" that i need to get the rubber engine isolators to stop the vibration but i really cant even afford to get that right now pretty sad i know lol military pay rocks!. I'm going to have to use the ones i made for now and hope it doesn't all come flailing apart...[>:] I have the entire boat epoxied now and wow does it look sweet!! Ill post some pics when she is all sanded up though. cant wait to show you guys the design either! its gonna be custom trust me[8D]
Old 09-12-2008, 01:32 AM
bullboy8

Hey Mart do you know Manyhobbies A.K.A. Russ?, that is the guy joe is talking about on JRCBD he seems like a friendly chap. Hes sending me a WA167 carb for $4.00 just shipping. Now I can see what all the talk is about the 167's on a woody LOL. I'm gonna pass on sending my prop to him for now, cuz I want to try it myself...then if i'm screw it up i'll send it his way . I don't think it will be too hard i'll just take it nice and slow Oh and by the way Mart, you caught me red handed on using your spray gaurdsLOL.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 AM
martno1fan

Hi mate i know a lot of people but im not sure if i know Russ its hard to keep track im a popular guy JOKE!!.
Mart
Old 09-13-2008, 09:43 PM
bullboy8

OK everyone I am deff happy how this run turned out!!! If I had to guess somewere in the mid 30's she was going, could be more or less. I'll let you guys be the judge. I really didn't mess with tuning the caarb to much because it was getting dark out, so there is probably a little more potental in it. the carb I was running with was a 9.53 mm carb I got from George...Thanks again!! She turned really sharp right, and a little less sharp left but hey I'm not complaining Made it all back in one piece. I have to do some adjustments on the exshaust thats about it. By the looks of it do you guys think I should put trim tabs on to get it up on plane more? And mabye put on turn fin on the left so it will turn better going left. I have the trim tabs and turn fins I just don't want to put them on if I don't have to but if it will run better with them then I will. Let me know what you all think!! Thanks again everyone!!

Here is Puttin'

In action

I think the guy in the background was thinking about jacking my boat

The vids will be in the next post.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM
bullboy8

Here are the videos..enjoy!!

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=52d64ee1.flv

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=29c69bc0.flv
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Looking good Ed seems like the carb got a ton more out of it and adjusting the stinger helped out too. congrats on getting her out this weekend.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 AM
martno1fan

Hi Ed she seems to go pretty well shes not reving out yet so get that thing tuned and it should get on plane more.Is your prop sharp and balanced as that will make a difference too.I also advise you to look out for a wa 167 walbro carb as it has the 11mm venturi which will give you even better performance.Dont use tabs they only slow a boat down,i installed them on mine only becuase i had prop walk but eventually i realised i didnt need them really.Adding strakes to the bottom could also help if she doesnt have any as they create lift.All in all a good run now the tuning starts .
Mart
Old 09-14-2008, 03:36 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Hey guys I have a stinger that Eric provided me and i just want to make sure that it looks alright as for setup wise. I also want some ides on how to bolt it onto the hull i have some scrap pieces but i need to know how far up it should be angled to get the best speed. I know it will take some toying with it to really find out but could i just use 1 angle bracket then 1 straight piece to hook it up would that be enough?? Just want to make sure it goes smoothly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35329.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1033306  
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
martno1fan

All you need is a standoff and brackets you need one bracket either side of the strut.Set it on the transom so your shaft is in line with the exit hole on the transom which should be arround 10-12 mm from keel to centre of hole.Dont angle it keep it parralell to the keel and adjust from there if needed.You can make them easy use two pieces of ali angle and a solid piece of ali to bolt your strut to as i did on my woody.Or just buy or make some longer brackets that will put the strut far enough back to fit your ferrule between it and the transom,i just used what i had at the time.
Mart

Name:	Vt58811.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1033332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68886.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1033333  
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Mart and Russ thanks for your help here's the pics of what shes looking like. Do the rudder and strut ook correct. Anyone can chime in please.

Name:	Bz79202.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1033446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86604.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1033447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12200.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1033448  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
rcboateric
Banned

the strut looks good joe, you mono will also run good without use that stinger drive.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Ya well i was having one made and the guy that was making it totally fell through and dont have money to be spending right now. So next best thing was using what i had from Rcboateric Thanks again man. Now just to shine things up a bit and everything will be good to go!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM
martno1fan

I cant tell from the pics but did you offset your drive to the right of centre by 1/4"? if not id do it as it will stop any issues with prop walk.Apart from that it looks good to go,just make sure the prop is set dead level(paralell ) to the keel.I also agree a strut is faster than a stinger setup,less drag.
Mart
Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM
bullboy8

Strut looks good joe!! Glad to see your one step closer.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
bullboy8

Alright I picked up a WA 167 carb from Russ on JRCBD for only $4.00. I was tinkering with it yesterday, and boy does that make a difference[X(]!!! I get her out on the water next weekend or late this week, to see how she does.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:35 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: bullboy8

Alright I picked up a WA 167 carb from Russ on JRCBD for only $4.00. I was tinkering with it yesterday, and boy does that make a difference[X(]!!! I get her out on the water next weekend or late this week, to see how she does.
Would i lie to you ,look forward to seeing her on the water.
Mart
Old 09-16-2008, 03:02 AM
bullboy8

I do to Mart!! I do to Joe and I are going to a race in early october. will we try our hand at rookie racing? I don't know but it sure will be fun to watch! But with a $5 entry fee I think I might try my hand at it[>:]...and gladly take 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th,........LOL who knows. I need to get her tuned in first. and JOE...you gotta speed it up bud LOL JK take your time do it right. It will be funner when we both have our boats out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.