Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Joe and Ed's Weedy 25cc gas boat. 48" Mono hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Joe and Ed's Weedy 25cc gas boat. 48" Mono hull

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:48 AM
gojoecrewchief1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joe and Ed's Weedy FX26 Xtreme gassy boat. Mono hull

Well i screwed up cutting the wood its going to have to wait now should have just took it to the wood shop like i said [:@] darn! Going out Sunday without chines [>:] do you guys think its possible to make them out of fiberglass matting and skill
Old 09-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Unless you're very confortable with glasswork, I would find a hobby shop or craft store and get some spruce triangle stock and use that. I made mine from a 2x4 wood stud and my table saw....but I am also a high school shop teacher/instructor.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 PM
gojoecrewchief1

ya ill wait and see if i cant go to acehardware later to pick some up i know that they have some and i was thinking i would pick some up and just didnt opps
Thanks for the advice Dreamin
Old 09-27-2008, 05:45 PM
dwr9

I can't say for certain that not having the spray rails won't affect the handling, because I haven't tried the boat without them, it's just my feeling that it won't have a major affect. Sometimes you can have 2 boats that appear to be set up exactly the same and they just don't act the same on the water. With this being a scratch built boat there are probably many differences between every one that's been built. It's hard to say what may be adversely affecting the turning ability of a particular boat, especially without being there to see the boat run and how everything is setup. Doug
Old 10-05-2008, 11:44 PM
bullboy8

So this weekend Joe and I attempted our hand at a little racing (yes we know we jumped in head first) Needless to say we got some stick time and got to see how it feels to races and we both enjoyed it A LOT!!! We got pounded by the Zenoah engines but we still managed LOL. Here are videos of 2 out of 4 races we had (open class). We raced at the NAMBA District 19 Championship. Hope you all like it! –Ed
P.S. First race was close...got joe by a hair on the last turn Second race I slammed into the bouy coming out of turn 2 and kicked my rudder back so I had to shut her down but Joe was still agoing!!!

Race One
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=5e8845ff.flv
Race Two
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...=SecondRun.flv
Here are a few pics

Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brave guys for racing the zenoah powered boats,well done for having a go.Looking at your two boats id say yours is more stable in the turns for sure but running a tad wet,Joes boat seems to be running more on the plane but much less stable maybe becuase of the lack of chine rails?.Not been able to see the running surface of his boat close up its hard to say but its possible he has some hook in there which could cause the squirelly movement especially in the turns.Well done on your first days racing, now you will have to build one with a zenoah .
Mart
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 PM
dwr9

Very cool. Looks like you had some fun. Doug
Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 AM
bullboy8

OK, First of all........JOE!!!! Thanks for helping Lacey scheme up an idea My girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to purchase a Zenoah G260 with out my consent LOL So now I have an engine on the way and have no boat... so I better get to work!! I bet a lot of you guys on here would like to have my problem i.e. girlfriend/wife buying you Zenoahs you know you snagged a good girl when she supports your hobby and wants you to do it. I'm am EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! EVERYONE BE PREPAIRED FOR A WHOLE LOT MORE NEW QUESTIONS because I'm still a newbie but with a bigger engine (I hope those two can mesh) -Ed
Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 AM
martno1fan

Nice one Ed so what you planning another woody? those things go well with a zenoah,45 mph easy.Pitty your not in the UK i could hook you up with one of my hulls but shipping is a killer right now.
Mart
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Any time buddy im really happy for you!!! Good girl and hey you deserve it bro! You can always just put the engine in your boat you have now and build a new boat in the meantime!!! I have a few things for you by the way if you want to stop on by today to get them?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 AM
gojoecrewchief1

Well some friends and I have been up to it again! I have recently moved back to Illinois after separating from the military after 6 years. Buddy of mine has a boat also so we have been toyin around with them for a while and hes like your boat needs paint... you should let me do it... OK..
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...tpics003-1.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...oatpics004.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...oatpics005.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...oatpics005.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...oatpics007.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...oatpics009.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...oatpics009.jpg

Cant wait to get all the hardware added to her soon!

Special Thanks to Jim Chaput and Troy Hatfield on paint!

Joe
Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM
martno1fan

Looks nice Joe now you gotta put a zenoah in there or else port the weedy and get it flying .
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Joe,Boat looks great with that new paint job.Doesn't even look like the same boat.Are you still running the Weedeater engine or are you upgrading? I bet you'll miss all that Arizona weather and being able to run boats in the winter.I'm working on two boats right now,a 52"Elliminator and a 54" unknown hull.Both are deep vees,not for racing, but just for fun.The Elliminator needs a paint job and some hardware and the 54" just needs touched up and everything put on and in her.The 54" is the one with the colors.Keep us updated on your boats and what you're up to. George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75328.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1188473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60595.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1188474  
Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
bullboy8

Thats one pretty boat man!! Now all you need to do is get a Zen to throw in it!!! I will talk to Megan for you and see what she can do for you like Lacey did for me Anyways, good job man!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
gojoecrewchief1

Took it out for the break in of the paint [>:] paint adds weight... but thats ok! shes still decent fast and faster than my buddys V24-1 so ill be ok!!! Here are some pics of the fun Hope you enjoy the new paint as much as i do any questions feel free to shoot! We ran the boat at my pond down the street, unfortunately the only chop was our own!

Joe
Old 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Nice paint work! Did you at least let the little lady get a chance at the wheel???
Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 PM
dwr9

The boat looks great. One thing I did notice is your turn fin. It should be perpendicular to the bottom, not straight up and down and it works best when it's almost all the way out to the corner of the bottom. That being said tho, if it works for you and you're having fun, don't worry about it. Doug
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86497.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1192551  
Old 05-06-2009, 03:32 AM
martno1fan

Dougs right as you have it there it could cause the back end to lift as the fin will be at an angle in the water causing hydroplaning.You want the fin so when the boat leans over its vertical in the water if that makes sense.Like the paint looks nice,did you sand the bottom after painting it? if not do it with some 800-1000 wet and dry it roughens it enough to stop the boat sticking to the water .This is one of the reasons most dont paint the bottom of there boats,you dont want a smooth running surface or it sticks to the water.
Mart
Old 01-20-2022, 06:25 AM
Johnwan1962

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newby also building 26cc weedy mono hull

Sorry about changing the subject, please can you tell me who can explain proper balance of boat and what size servo I should use, is 75kg large enough? For rudder.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:18 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnwan1962
Sorry about changing the subject, please can you tell me who can explain proper balance of boat and what size servo I should use, is 75kg large enough? For rudder.
If this is a gas boat you're asking about stay in this section,but go to R/C Gas Boats and start a new thread.If it's for a nitro or electric go to the sections for that type.Also add what type and size of your boat.