Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

GAS OUTBOARD guys this is our new home

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

GAS OUTBOARD guys this is our new home

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 AM
dragonman.69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GAS OUTBOARD guys this is our new home

Hi Dion
i hope to go down tomorrow if it is not raining here as our lake has been brown for weeks as we had rain on and off .I went down last week with
6boats started at 10am and got home about 3.30pm great day nice weather good fun and brock none hope for the same sunday .

thanks bruce
Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 AM
F1TUNNEL

Hey Bruce, sorry I missed you again, ended up strippng my motor down and gave it a full rebuild-new polished crank, new bearings, new rod, left the p/s in, just gave it a tidy up so hoping on a decent morn so I can go for another run. Come on sunshine!! Hopefully some testing was done today on the new nova outboard seeing how there was a bit of ok weather. I know the boat was ready to rock!
Bruce, are you and your brother going to Sydney for the winter spec coming up in a few weeks? If I get there, might get to catch up or maybe swing by your way on my travels.
Good luck to you and Jim tomorrow,
Happy boating,
Dion.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:49 AM
dragonman.69

Hi Dion
sounds like you had a busy day down there hopeyou got to testit out today andthat the weather was better there then here was windy andcold so stay home and work on some boats hope next weekend is better then will go and play
We did not know about sydney winter show will have to see if jim would liketo go if you are down this way would be good to metyou and catch up let weknow if you go and i see if we can met some were

thanks bruce
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM
F1TUNNEL

Hi Bruce,
It did get a little busy!! Sunday's weather ended up no better than yours-blown out again!! I am all set to go when the wind dies off and the temp warms up a bit, though this chilly weather makes for some good running. Hope I dont have to chop my way back into the lake again- that was a pain as I did not have the chainsaw with me, had to use the old bush saw that I keep in the car tool box. I am thinking of making up some sort of launch ramp for the gas tunnel. I was thinking I could use something like roller blade wheels attached to pvc pipe- a bit like a boat trailer, so I can start it up and place the boat on the ramp and let gravity do the work. A bit like a slide out into the water. Just need to find a hundred wheels!!! I will pm you with some details of Sydney.
Cheers,
Dion.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 AM
dragonman.69

Hi Dion

I did get to the lake but the wind pick up so i just went back home will try next weekend hope erather is better then.
It sounds like sydney could be a good weekend only about 4 hours from us i will see if jim would like to go down and have a look
will you bring your boat with you if you go let us know we could catch up then

thanks bruce
Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 AM
F1TUNNEL

Hi Bruce,
I wont be entering any boats at the winter spectacular, but may take one to use with you guys, I'll see how we go. We definately need to do some boating together as I am currently the only person with a gas ob at RMBC that I know of. There is one other that has plans to build one. The tunnel class down here is made up of cats and they are all pretty quick, so I have my work cut out for me to get my skills up to their level. I need to set up a coarse at my oval coarse at my lake and practice my lines. If you ever decide to come down here, I can sort you with accomadation as we(my family)own a house that is used for short term accomadation in the heart of the well known Yarra Valley-fully furnished and plenty of beds. Just fill the fridge and you're set. I will sort the cost out so you pay next to nothing if anything. I hope to get up your way first though.
All the best,
Dion.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 AM
dragonman.69

Hi DIon

I will see if jim would like to go he is away with work for now back in two weeks
i all so have a sister that lives down there so have a place to stay i will be coming down in the next 2months for a few days
so may be able to catch then
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 AM
F1TUNNEL

Hopefully its on one of our club days down here. Your sis is in Warrigal or out that way isn't she? send me a pm with your email and i will send you a pic of the club callander dates
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM
F1TUNNEL

Sorry Bruce, That was Frank(rfg racing) his partner was down that way for work a while back and we were going to try and catch up.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 AM
dragonman.69

Hi Dion
I will pm you soon my sis lives in kuee noy shore if thats near you .
you said you are the only f1 out board down your way i thaink jim and i am only one i canberra that i know of
so we run ours for fun
Old 07-17-2012, 02:11 AM
F1TUNNEL

I know Koo Wee Rup.If thats where she is ,its not that far from me,maybe 1/2 an hour.I will have to google kuee!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 AM
F1TUNNEL

Cant find it! Its not Kew where she lives? Thats about an hour from me, but one road from my place to there!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
jvdd

Hi Dion
Yeh It's Kew, Bruce's typing is all thumbs...hehehe.
I'm hoping to be in town when you are up this way and hopefully I'm kids free so we can have a play, weather permiting.

jim
Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 PM
F1TUNNEL

Hi Jim!
Goood to hear from you! I had a feeling it might be Kew-that is a nice area-I used to live in the neighbouring suburb for a while-had a great pub in kew, known for its FOXY bar girls from noon till late!!!! I am really hoping to make it up and it will be good to catch up if I do. I will possibly bring my gas tunnel up if I do just so we can get them out together. Chat to you soon,
Dion.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 PM
F1TUNNEL

Hi there Marco,
I will try to group those pics for you tonght and get them to you. Enjoy the reading here!! PM BODY GUARD for the best building info, his boats are super fast, you can see them go on youtube!! You will be impressed!!
All the best,
Dion
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
ozzie

just wandering what oil are u guys using in your legs
oz
Old 07-26-2012, 04:29 PM
F1TUNNEL

Hi there OZ,
I have been given a few options to use,

Nulon outboard gear oil from supercheap auto
Motul 800 from the motorbike shop or similar
Chainsaw bar oil from where ever

Some of the other guys may be able to add more options.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
ozzie

Gday Dion , i did ask dom one time, he said he uses motul gearbox oil , but when i got on the net there seems to be a few different motul gearbox oils.things have slowed up a bit with my outboard, with working away & now my dragcat turned the other day.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
YPC

Hi Ozzie - Hi all ...............

Motul 700 - bike gearbox oil......is a good oil for the flex shaft...it has an additive which really works well.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
ozzie

thanks Dom
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 PM
YPC

Anytime Ozzie.........I'm very keen to see your set up on the water.

Currently - I am not racing ........ rather caught up in the development and stoke of the rc Surfer .........and 'slowly' working on the HVFE F1.......however ! .......if anyone needs some advise - I'm always checking in on the forum.

We are still producing products - Hulls - Legs and pipes.

Have a great weekend all......have good runs and races

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM
F1TUNNEL

Great to see you on here again Dom!!
Is there much difference between the 700 and the 800 that you recommended earlier? I found that the 800 is fairly thin and runny and may try a mix of it with the bar oil to thicken it up a little.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 AM
YPC

Hi Dion

As you have seen - I am spending quite a bit of time learning all about the Brushless/ Lipo technology ( a science of its own) as well as developing the rc surfboard....so my time is halved. The experience and learning on the smaller FE's will pay big dividend when I 'focus' on the HVFE F1......right now their is no rush for the HVFE F1 .....not enough demand.
FRANKLY - its shocking to see how little so many of the local retailers know about FE - They seem to adopt a 'Buy and Try' attitude , which clearly sets the consumer back a few good $'s. Since I have en devoured toying with the FE's .......I have more than halved the initial costs of the running gear through better sources and component matching - with amazing results.

I will more than likely set myself up locally - specializing in the FE issues 'overall'- boats - cars and planes - as there are so many products been sold with very little back up and after market service - especially at a reasonable cost.

I will say this.......once you understand the Electric set up and get it all sorted ........the power is amazing......and when it is running flat out........it sound awesome.....like a jet turbine.......

The 700 is 'less expensive'.................When feeding the flex shaft - you should 'only' be using Gravity feed from the oiler - ensure that you can switch the flow OFF between runs.
If you thicken it up you may run a inefficient amount of oil during a run.
I always open op the oiler a few minutes before the run to ensure it is flowing in.
The problem is that like a drill bit - the winding actually draw the oil up - rather than drive it down - so you want a good soaking of oil 'before' the run.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:29 AM
F1TUNNEL

I have noticed that the oil gets a bit of water mixed through it from the cable drawing the water up and into the tank. I do the same in leeing it run for a bit before start up. So far so good using the Motul in the gas tunnel, in the nitro I only am getting a few laps from my system, I will post a pic tonight for you. This is why I have got a couple more options to try this weekend.
I am really glad you are having fun with the FE as you experience wll be benificial to us fellow boaters that have not made the switch yet. There is quite an FE following growing over here in the boats and other crafts as well. I have seen some fast FE and am watching their progression and will jump on that wagon at some point. I just have to get some more use out of my current set ups. I do like to turn the volume up when watching them on you tube as you are right about the sound. Get a chainsaw bar and put an air gun to the toothed sprocket on the end for those that want to hear what they sound like in real life. Keep up the testing Dom with those surf boards as it will pay great dividends when you scale up the system to the 1/4 scale tunnels I am sure.
Great stuff,
Dion.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 AM
F1TUNNEL

An Aussie tunnel on the edge(wish I could paint mine up the same) and a pic of my nitro oiler set up. sorry for the pic on its side-damn iphone
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22338.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1786436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91206.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1786437  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.