Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Is the RCMK EVO really "that" good???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Is the RCMK EVO really "that" good???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Is the RCMK EVO really

They're pretty much ready to go out of the box. One thing to check though is the clearance between the bearing and the flex cable collet. I've ground one down so far as it looked to be really close. It needs a good .005" or more space, I went a little extra just to be on the safe side.
The engine seems to really wake up using a 1" pipe system but they aren't cheap so until my wife hits the lottery big I'm staying with a 7/8".
Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 PM
MKMotorsport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personal opinion here- I have ran both stock and modified versions of both. While the Zen is a great engine, unless they do some serious updating and produce an RC specific engine (new design from the ground up), the RCMK will soon be the engine of the future (for mainstream masses).
Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 PM
eengler

WOW.... I have really "started" a thread!!! Most of us "common" folks have tossed our comments in here already.... Bruce from Gizmo says to reduce the collet a little bit, that's all. And by the looks of it, EVERYONE has a positive comment on the EVO! Bruce should give me a discount... hahahahhahaha Thanks guys I have made my decision already, i'll buy one and let you guys know in 2 weeks!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Really got my wheels to turning now. I've got a NIB full mod zen thats supposed to go in my hydro but from the looks of it, may as well sell it, buy the EVO and put some money in my pocket for beer. To make matters more interesting, got enough junk laying around to scrounge up enough for a backup.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM
eengler

my zen is already on ebay... hahahahahah
Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
nothinbetr2do

i have 2 of these rcmk's, an original and the new evo. both run great, start right up, idle great, and just run wot like you wouldn't believe. on a side note, i to have a zen and it's still just sitting on a shelf. i think i might follow some of you guys and sell it for a 3rd rcmk, as the first 2 are awesome.
on another side note. if you guys do get an evo watch out for binding in the pull starter, if you use thin mounts it will bind up on you. my first one i used cc racing mounts and had the binding issue. i had to put washers on the pull start to move it away from the motor some. this idea works great. now with my second one, i used bruce@gizmo's new mounts. these are thicker, so no binding issue at all
Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 PM
eengler

what do mean by binding? sorry...
Old 11-29-2009, 02:49 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: eengler

what do mean by binding? sorry...
with a thinner mount. the pull starter is to close to the motor and when you pull out the pull starter it will not retract back in. and when running, it causes rubbing issues. this is an easy fix, like i said. just use a washer on the 4 bolts in between the pull starter housing and the motor to give it alittle room. or just get gizmo's new mounts
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Ron Olson

The starter pawls will hit if there isn't enough clearance. You can check it easily before dropping it in the boat and it's easier to see also. If anything touches then add the washers. I think that they're a size 10, maybe an 8.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM
eengler

sounds like an easy fix....
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Nosedragger

its only a problem if you use mounts for zens, use the proper RCMK mount and its not a problem
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 AM
moparhemi

Hello, Where did you guy's find the evo for $250 shipped? I went to gizmo and they were $279. Did Bruce give you a discount? I have a seaducer mono with all the hardware except motor mounts and pipe that I was waiting to find a Quickdraw for that I am rethinking now that I read this post. I think that the rcmk is a great deal and should make some awsome HP with the wright mods done to them. I was thinking on getting the rear exust pull start evo for $329. Does anybody know who mods these engines and how much hp they are getting out of them? Thanks, Dan
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Ron Olson

There's not a lot that has to be done but Scott Schneider is doing mods to them. He does post here but usually it may be easier to contact him through the Model Gas Boats site.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Dockman

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

There's not a lot that has to be done but Scott Schneider is doing mods to them. He does post here but usually it may be easier to contact him through the Model Gas Boats site.
Yep he does them, He will be getting mine after the first of the year.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Nosedragger

I would get it from CC Racing myself, being a dealer you can buy it right from him, have him mod it and save the cost of shipping the engine back and forth across the country.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oniel bros will also mod them which might come in handy for anyone in Canada .A friend has one been done right now to go in one of my Comet hydros .
Mart
http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rcboat/index.htm
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
eengler

mopar if you put the coupon code "giz10" he is offering a 10% discount when you already have the item in the cart.... i am ordering mine tomorrow. I have to wait for a check to clear... Another good deal he has is the avenger pro cat 44 inches for $230.00 shipped if you use the coupon code. $230 for that avenger is NICE!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:45 PM
danielplace

The giz10 code is not for use when purchasing engines or hulls. It might show it as giving the discount because I don't believe the system allows him to block engine and hull purchases but those purchases do not apply.

[Quote]

Gizmomotors 10% sale!!!!!!!!

Back by demand 10% special for **** members. No complete motors. Or Boat Hulls. [Quote]
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Nosedragger

Even without a discount, you would have to pay more than the price difference between an EVO and a 260 to have the 260 modified make up the difference in horsepower.

The EVO has so much more power than the 260 that is was made illegal in classes that spec out stockers.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM
danielplace

Oh definetely without question the $279.00 price is a very good deal. Piped and propped correctly they are without a doubt the best bang for your buck.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
martno1fan

Making the evo illegal is stupid its a stock motor,its specefically built to put out that hp from the factory so to me its stock.The only people disagreeing with that are the zenoah lovers and the people wanting to keep things in the dark ages.The evo is new and its the future,pitty some want to stop developement and growth in the gas boat world.
Mart
Old 11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Making the evo illegal is stupid its a stock motor,its specefically built to put out that hp from the factory so to me its stock.The only people disagreeing with that are the zenoah lovers and the people wanting to keep things in the dark ages.The evo is new and its the future,pitty some want to stop developement and growth in the gas boat world.
Mart
Yea, isn't that the truth where would gas boating be if they never made anything faster than a homelite. They come up with a lot of bull about wanting to keep those classes at reasonable speeds. It is just a crock if that were the case why were tuned pipes legalized in many classes. It isn't hard to figure the reasons why. I would have to believe the biggest driving force promoting rule changes to illegalize the RCMK's are because there are dozens of distributors for Zenoah's and Zenoah parts and they can't afford to have half of the boats out there running RCMK's. And it is those same distributors that influence the decisions of the rule makers or the members of the organizations. It is all good though. Don't worry be happy.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
martno1fan

Yea i agree totally,what gets me though is those same people are only hurting themselves in the long run .You only have to look at the after sales service of RCMK to see they listen to us boaters unlike Zenoah who couldnt give a monkeys.Cant wait to try my new evo out next year.
Mart
Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
eengler

well i just figured out that the 10% discount does not apply for the engines.... [>:]
Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Mart

Probably the only thing I would agree with you in this century.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.