Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Is the RCMK EVO really "that" good???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Is the RCMK EVO really "that" good???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 PM
scott09
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the RCMK EVO really

Heck if I know, just asking as I'm just getting in to this hobby
Btw, my new (from private seller) Gator arrived today and hull is damaged from shipping, complete loss 2 golf ball sized 'shatters', I could poke through with just a little pressure...oh the greif
So having seller initiate a claim, we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
danielplace

Best of luck with your claim. I had a boat damaged from shipping and they put you through more BS than you can imagine then still don't pay. It is like if we were able to damage it then obviously it wasn't packed well enough or it would not have happened. I have heard of a boat the customer was watching out the window and the driver threw the box out the back doors of the truck 6' high and 10 ' out.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:40 PM
scott09

Yes, that is what had to have happened here either dropped/tossed or something heavy thrown on top. The hull is 'shattered' in exactly the same places on both sides. The packaging was stellar, even 2 inches of bubble wrap all over it. In the bubble wrap it rested on the pvc stand.
Something hard just impacted or hit and the hull gave way.

UPSshould be contacting me to come inspect the packaging and damage and yes, it will be interesting to see what comes of it. I don't expect much which makes me wonder why pay extra for insurance to begin with?

I'll just use this as an excuse to go ahead and order a new hull...hrmmm, and engine...and, and

Wth, shattered hull will give me shot at fiberglass repair for the first time

Even shattered though, that is one freakin beauty of a boat. Now I understand the rush all you guys speak of with 'real' gas boats. Man, I can't wait to take it apart, hehehe.
Now I want the old school Magnum
Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: illiniboater

ORIGINAL: Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: lewisdf4

Looks awesome!! Will a zen engine coulper fit the Evo? 2 would be sweet....
I'm assuming you're speaking of an actual coupler to mate the two Evo's together, right?......NOT the collet.

There is a member here who machies stock aluminum amd makes a very nice coupler bracket. The name slips me now, but that actually reminds me I still have one of his units in my shop for the RCMK. Hopefully he chimes in here as I only know his first and last name, not his screen name.

That would be me. I actually forgot I sent you one, you ever get the motors bolted up to it?
i have seen your set up once while i was at scott's house, it looked really nice. he didn't have any motor set up on it, at the time. but it still looked nice.
are you still making these? if so, how much?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
illiniboater

Thanks. Sent you a PM on the Inline Kit.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: illiniboater

Thanks. Sent you a PM on the Inline Kit.
pm returned to you
Old 12-13-2009, 09:28 PM
eengler

well i just ordered the EVO, it's going in my 47 inch promise hobbies vee hull. The vee ran great with a stock zen, but just too slow for me... aorund the 50mph mark. I will be running a modded 257 carb and hope to reach 57-58mph. It will be done in about 2 weeks. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 AM
eengler

An update, I took ran the Evo/47 inch promise hobbies vee last week sunday. Well the park was FULL of racers, there where like 15 boats out there. Automatically i can tell the EVO has wayyy more power than the stock zenoah. But this hull does not do it any justice, it is a fast vee hull but I LIKE CATS! I could not GPS it or break her in or even mess with the needles. I was getting some "misfirering", I am not sure if it was that my radio had some intefirence or if it was the engine. I think it was the radio (i run FM's). Since I have my stock zenoah on a falcon 41 cat going 60mph, I think i should compare apples to apples. I am going to purchase another falcon 41 (my third) to put this EVO in.... I think it should definately do over 62mph stock. The engine did idle well and started right up. So far so good.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 PM
jtdesign

run a ground wire from te coil to the case. it dosnt get a good ground otherwise. I had that problem myself.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:58 PM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: eengler

An update, I took ran the Evo/47 inch promise hobbies vee last week sunday. Well the park was FULL of racers, there where like 15 boats out there. Automatically i can tell the EVO has wayyy more power than the stock zenoah. But this hull does not do it any justice, it is a fast vee hull but I LIKE CATS! I could not GPS it or break her in or even mess with the needles. I was getting some ''misfirering'', I am not sure if it was that my radio had some intefirence or if it was the engine. I think it was the radio (i run FM's). Since I have my stock zenoah on a falcon 41 cat going 60mph, I think i should compare apples to apples. I am going to purchase another falcon 41 (my third) to put this EVO in.... I think it should definately do over 62mph stock. The engine did idle well and started right up. So far so good.
Any pictures of the setup or video of it running?
Old 12-31-2009, 03:43 PM
eengler

No Leo, I did not get any pictures. I did swap the engines, i took my zenoah out of my red cat and put in the RCMK. You know my zen/red falcon cat does 58-60mph. we'll see how it does with the RCMK. This is going to be a true test if the RCMK is really better than a Zen!!! I left everything else the same, EVERYTHING! I do need help doing the ground cable though..... And HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! I AM GOING TO BE OUT IN THE LAKE ON SATURDAY...
Old 12-31-2009, 04:30 PM
cheesewizz69

I just got back from the lake. I was watching Luis run Tony's C-Devil Monos. He got his black one running sick fast and the yellow one he is setting up for Curtis is running even better.

The ground cable shouldn't be that hard. Get a hold of some eyelets and crimp them on some wire. Then screw one end to a clean spot on the engine and the other to the ground tab on the geay coil.

Happy New Year, see you on Saturday if the weather holds.
Leo
Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
jtdesign

here are te pictures I said I would get you.
The ground wires that were added are the white ones, this is a rcmk s-254
I changed from the orogoal coil to a zenoha coil, because the spark plug wire was to long, & if I remember correctly the the brass tab is on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44172.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1345933  
Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
eengler

THANKS JT. LEO WHO BUILDS THOST C DEVILS?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 PM
cheesewizz69

THANKS JT. LEO WHO BUILDS THOST C DEVILS?
Tony is the builder. He has been working with glass for years, started with surfboards. Bert is his distributor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62754.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1345989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49076.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1345990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79353.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1345991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66892.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1345992  
Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
eengler

oh yeah, i saw some guys running his cat on sunday. They where running pretty good, but tony wanted $350.00 for his cats. That's alot of $$$ for a "generic" boat. For that kind of cash an R42 would be more ideal. Is the C-Devil the same boat that crown hobbies has that is called the "patriot"? that mort says bert builds.....
Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 PM
cheesewizz69

No the patriot is a made by a different Bert from the club.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 PM
eengler

ohhhhhhhh i see.... Anyways going back on topic, the RCMK will be in place of the zenoah... we'll try it on saturday....
Old 12-31-2009, 07:59 PM
moparhemi

hello and happy news years eve, If I put the evo cyl. on a modded zen with 5.7 hp will I get more HP lose HP or stay the same? How about if I mod the evo cyl. what wuold happen? Thanks, Dan
Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 PM
eengler

Yes, i did just get back from the lake and the best speed with the evo was 63.1mph. It ran costant 60.5-61.7mph. Of course this suppose to be the "break-in" period. I didn't like to modded 257 carb on there, the throttle response was too much, i think my radio settings didn't really help either (it was almost like an on or off switch). I will try the original carb on it next time, if anyone wants to chip in the "settings" for the original carb the evo brings please help (danielplace) hahahahahah.... Overall the evo definately does have more power than a stock zen, all trough midrange to high-end. And i haven't had any problems starting her at all or the engine stalling.... so far i am happy with the engine....
Old 01-02-2010, 04:11 PM
chaparral 97

Yes, i did just get back from the lake and the best speed with the evo was 63.1mph. It ran costant 60.5-61.7mph. Of course this suppose to be the "break-in" period. I didn't like to modded 257 carb on there, the throttle response was too much, i think my radio settings didn't really help either (it was almost like an on or off switch). I will try the original carb on it next time, if anyone wants to chip in the "settings" for the original carb the evo brings please help (danielplace) hahahahahah.... Overall the evo definately does have more power than a stock zen, all trough midrange to high-end. And i haven't had any problems starting her at all or the engine stalling.... so far i am happy with the engine....
The best settings I found for the carb that comes stock on the Evo are 1 1/4 Low & 1 5/8 High. I was told 2 Low and 1 High but that didn't work for me at all. Black plug.
I set the low the way the instruction video says on Whobbies website. The 1 5/8 High was actually Dyno'd to that setting before I received the boat from Whobbies but I didn't want to believe it and tried everything else. Well, I just came back to it. Plug is a nice light brown.
Robbie
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 PM
eengler

well those numbers look a little "wack" but i will definately try them! Thanks! better than having no clue.... Maybe danielplace can chip in his needle settings.... and second your opinion....
Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM
chaparral 97

well those numbers look a little "wack" but i will definately try them! Thanks! better than having no clue.... Maybe danielplace can chip in his needle settings.... and second your opinion....
Yup. On some boats they may be "wack". Not mine.
Many boats have different set-ups, different pipes. Also, there's the factors of environment - temperature, humidity, etc.
Make sure your exhaust manifold is matched up to the exhaust port of the RCMK. I just found this out but discovered that this was already handled by Tony at Whobbies. A good testament to the quality and care that comes out of there.
My advice: Watch the instruction video on how to tune an engine on the Whobbies website. Setting the low needle is exactly explained and is brilliant and EASY.

Good Luck,
Robbie
Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Scott Schneider

On the RCMK carb ( Walbro WT-939 ) Low @ 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 .... High @ 1 1/8 to 1 1/4
** Pending on elevation and prop loading these #'s are an average
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
eengler

sounds good keep it comming.... with the carb settings....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.