Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

k&b 7.5 flex lube ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

k&b 7.5 flex lube ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Darkseacret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k&b 7.5 flex lube ?

I am replacing a broken flex shaft on my 7.5 and I have a tub of Prather flex grease can I lube the 7.5s flex with this or should I use the oil/stp blend? Also do I need to remove the flex each time for lubing or can I flush lower unit assembled through 2 lower weep holes ? I ve been using a syrnge to flush but was wondering if I should remove and store flat and pack with the Prather grease for lube ? Thnkx
Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
RickeyRockstar
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: k&b 7.5 flex lube ?

definitely pack it.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Send a PM to OB Nut or Jerry Dunlap. They both have been running tunnels for years and know the outboard engines like the back of their hands. Not sure about OB Nut, but I do know that Jerry has several national championships in the various classes of outboard tunnels and would probably be more than willing to help you out
Old 11-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used the 20w50 and STP mix when I ran OB tunnels and never a problem. I don't have any issues with Prather grease either as I've been using that for years. The boats seemed to run faster with the STP/oil mix but it's nice to use grease also as you don't have to relube as often.
What you can do with any cable it to pre-lube them in a light oil like ATF, light machine oil or hydraulic jack fluid. Let it or them soak in the stuff for a while, like days or more if you can, as that gets in between the strands.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 PM
ob nut

Before every run, put the 50/50 mix of 80/90 gear lube / STP oil treatment. When you have the bottom halves apart, drill a hole on the upper mount (where the powerhead contacts the lower). See the pic of the SS motor from K&B. Make large enough to get the mixture in. keep it flowing unti it comes out the bottom holes. I use a Bru Line glue syringe to get the mix into the lower. When done running for the day, shafts come out and are placed in a leak proof container that has the oil mixture in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68970.gif
Views:	30
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1309053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67577.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1309054  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 PM
ob nut

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Send a PM to OB Nut or Jerry Dunlap. They both have been running tunnels for years and know the outboard engines like the back of their hands. Not sure about OB Nut, but I do know that Jerry has several national championships in the various classes of outboard tunnels and would probably be more than willing to help you out
I did finish 2nd (behind JD) at the 2007 Tunnel champs in the D Sport class!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Look at the bright side Mark, I did mention you first in a nonsolicited plug