Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
 Can you loop or roll in normal flight set up? >

Can you loop or roll in normal flight set up?

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

Can you loop or roll in normal flight set up?

Old 10-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you loop or roll in normal flight set up?

Just wonderning seem to be getting pretty close on the loop. Not ready yet for 3D set-up
Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Can you loop or roll in normal flight set up?

Yes...you can loop...but give yourself some serious altitude before trying it.....

go ahead and set up idle up...it is easy
Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 AM

ya, but set up so stick down gives you negative pitch. Get some good altitude, and go into forward flight. When your coming back from a circuit, just pullup. Once your inverted pull the stick all the way down, then when your back up again. Continue with normal flight. Its really a simple manuever. I have been flying helis for about a month now and i can do all that fun stuff with my copter x (trex450). Iv gotten to the point were i can do most 3d stuff at low altitude and still havnt crashed once. Just take your time. Me, i fly about 20-50 times a week, just go slow and unlike the planes and cars, don't push yourself to hard. For me, i just don't have the experience to put the thing back to gether correctly, nor the funds to fix it. After just spending 2 grand on this setup, its gotta last me.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 AM

As for rolls, you must have negative pitch for the inverted portion of the roll or else you'll actually end up doing a horizontal loop.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bbike

ya, but set up so stick down gives you negative pitch. Get some good altitude, and go into forward flight. When your coming back from a circuit, just pullup. Once your inverted pull the stick all the way down, then when your back up again. Continue with normal flight. Its really a simple manuever. I have been flying helis for about a month now and i can do all that fun stuff with my copter x (trex450). Iv gotten to the point were i can do most 3d stuff at low altitude and still havnt crashed once. Just take your time. Me, i fly about 20-50 times a week, just go slow and unlike the planes and cars, don't push yourself to hard. For me, i just don't have the experience to put the thing back to gether correctly, nor the funds to fix it. After just spending 2 grand on this setup, its gotta last me.
dont have the cash to fit it but you spend 2k on it? wow....what kind of trex450/upgrades do you have?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM

ORIGINAL: hennesseylord

ORIGINAL: bbike

ya, but After just spending 2 grand on this setup, its gotta last me.
dont have the cash to fit it but you spend 2k on it? wow....what kind of trex450/upgrades do you have?

It must be a Falcon 3D with all the SE upgrades ..............(He, He )

Harry
Old 10-21-2007, 12:29 PM

TheBum
You don't have to have neg. pitch for a roll. If you going fast enough and start the roll once passed 90deg then reduce the throttle stick to half (ie hover setting) and keep the momentum it will do a full roll. It ain't pretty ill give it that but it can be done and i do it.

dtacmed
Not sure why you would want to do these maneuvers with out neg. pitch but the loop can be done well. Once again get good fwd speed and height, once passed the 90deg mark back the throttle off to half stick and your good to go. Be careful not to back the throttle stick off to much though. Let us know how you go it is a lot easier than you might think, once you have done it you'll be asking yourself why you hadn't done it earlier
Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 AM

well, new radio, and 10 2100mah 3s lipos, it adds up. I didnt even get the real trex, i got the copterx and i still spent that much. fly AMAZING though, flys like the raptor 90 in realflight g3.5.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 AM

10 lipos?! You must have some marathon charging sessions.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres
I agree with Exeter. Set up idle up. If you are anywhere near considering a loop, you are ready to be in idle up. After you get it set up, you will be amazed at how much better the heli behaves.
If you are above a basic hover, and you are flying outdoors, idle up is where you should be.

Vince
Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 AM

I have the greatplanes poly charge and the duratrax ice charger, so I can charge 5 lipos at a time. I can go to the field, fly five packs, let them cool. Throw them on the charger and by the time i finish the other five packs, i only have to wait about a half hour till i have another five packs and then repeat! Its great, since im the only one of my group that flys helis, every one else does the nitro planes (which I do to) i can litterly fly for hours. Plus, my 3s 2100 packs also work great in my greatplanes extra330s so i can fly the planes and helis, and when the batterys are charging, i put out the good old slimer, or rc cars. I got it made[8D] lol.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres
I agree with Exeter. Set up idle up. If you are anywhere near considering a loop, you are ready to be in idle up. After you get it set up, you will be amazed at how much better the heli behaves.
If you are above a basic hover, and you are flying outdoors, idle up is where you should be.

Vince

Vince,

What you are saying is that it will ba alright to go idle -up even on a hoovering mode. Thank you.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, idle-up is good.
I did a lot of indoor hovering with my T-Rex when it was new. Too much snow to do much outdoors. But when I did go out that spring and fly outdoors, I had a heck of a time. I would baloon up every time the wind blew, and getting it back down from altitude meant lower head speed, and less cyclic control.
Brother #1 said that idle up would take care of that. So we programmed it there at the field, tested out the transition from normal to idle up at a safe altitude (yes, it jumped up when I hit it the first time) and then experimented with the different feel, even just hovering. It was night and day. The heli had full cyclic control at all times.
After a few cycles of testing and adjustment, I got it tuned close enough that I could flip the switch back and forth and not see the heli do more than the slightest twitch. Some times I switch in the air. Some times I switch on the ground.

Yes, even in hovering, idle-up is good.

Vince
Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM

Vince,

Thank you very much for your reply. One more question. Any suggestions on what would be a good idle up values. My T-rex's idle up values were base on Finless Bob's video but never tried it yet. Thank you.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

what motor are you using? on the align motor, i use between 75-85%
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Finless videos are great and for sure you can start with the numbers posted in those videos (Maximum and minimum pitch clearances), with some experimentation time you may change the settings to your very personal choices just keep in the pitch window between the minimum and maximum parameters. I am really new in the Heli hobby I have been flying RC Planes for years and mechanics are some quite different but very understandable and I have set the Idle 1 with no problem although I have not used yet because of my limited skills by now.
Have Fun!!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the replys I know I need to set up idle up still nervous with the 600. I'm flying around some fast forward just need to do it I guess
Old 10-24-2007, 06:47 AM

Continue with normal flight. Its really a simple manuever. I have been flying helis for about a month now and i can do all that fun stuff with my copter x (trex450). Iv gotten to the point were i can do most 3d stuff at low altitude and still havnt crashed once.
Wow, I admire you. I have been flying for 1 month as well and I have had 30 sucessful flights and around 9 crashes! Maybe 200dlls spent in spare parts and blades! and I can just fly FF and some nose in (not even thinking about loops). I have a SIM but I just get a bit nervous doing the real thing in the heli. Good for you, you are very good, no crash at all.