Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:22 PM
skubacb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Without going too deep. TBM shipped out a number of Storchs with broken vertical stabs. I made an offer to accept it for something more off a new order. TBMs rep said great. Then after two weeks her owner/supervisor nixed that. So I told them I just wanted a new fuse. They kept mucking around long enough to sell all the planes and then tell me they don't have any replacement fuses. I.E. they would not break up a box to send me a fuse. Still waiting for them to provide UPS with their account so it can go back. Over a month now on this.

I was told I was the only Storch with a broken fuse. Wrong, I saw on the forums at least four other people with the same problem. They put a bag of bolts in with the vertical stab. Here was a case of poor packing. I.E. it was not UPSs fault.

What gets me is I offer something fair and they muck me around. I bet they wait another week and come up with a new excuse. Sad thing is I enjoyed working with TBMs staff. All the worker bees seem like very nice people that want to work with you. Execution is another matter. I pre-ordered a plane. They said they would be in in a week. Wait and wait. Call them, email them. The plane shows up as in stock on the website. Still nothing. Call again and again. Finally, someone pays attention to me and actually ships the plane 6 weeks after they were in. It all just adds up to a poor experience.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently TBM is only one carring WIKE Products.. (TwinSync)
Old 04-17-2010, 05:08 PM
schadenfreude

I have a dilemma with the twin sync. I bought it over a year ago but just recently started using it with two glow engines. If I leave the throttle stick at a static setting with the twinsync engaged, the engines slowly lose RPM. Moving the throttle stick slightly, either up or down, will cause the engines to rev back to near the original RPM. I've gone over the programming several times to make sure it is set up correctly and it seems to be. Suggestions?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
stoat

I am having a similar problem. The Twinsync appears to be setup correctly. I get a green led lighting correctly for each sensor, both yellows com on at the correct low end sync point, and I am ignoring the reds as I am running 2 x Evolution 26cc gassers. The problem I have was initially only at full throttle after about 10 seconds both engines would suddenly drop back to half throttle. Moving the stick back a fraction would bring both engines back up to full for a matter of seconds then they would drop back again. The problem got worse and worse over the next half tank (on the ground now) until I was unable to advance the throttles at all without them chopping back to idle. I played with the sensor mounting and got some improvement, but still not good enough to fly. The sensors are mounted on aluminium brackets that do have a fraction of give in them. Running cable ties around them to take out any play made the problem worse still. I have also played with distance from the magnets to the sensors - nothing conclusive.
I am wondering if the problem is caused by the two magnets on the Evo motor. They are opposite polarity and the green led is only turning on once per revolution so only picking up one magnet, however would there be field interference caused at high rpm by the other magnet? Clutching at straws here. The system is in an ESM F7F so I would rather not have to mount another set of magnets if I dont have to (means using a spinner backplate and would look weird).

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM
peter b-RCU
My Feedback: (119)

i am building a P-38 yellow aircraft with 2 3W 28 gas engines, can i use this TwinSync Synchronizer on those engines?

peter

[email protected]
Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Not true about Troy Built being the only distributor of Wike Products:

I bought my twinsync from MagnumRC: http://magnumrc.com/index.php?main_p...bb78311fccc006

Tip
Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
crashwrench

Hello,
I have a Pair of DA-85's , Can you use the Exsting Magnets already mounted in crank ( for the Ignition ) to run the Twin Syc' Sensor(s) ?
OR,, use Servo ' Y " harness just Between the ' DA_ Ignition crank sensor and the Spark Box ?????????

MMAAYYBBEEEE ! ?????????????????

Later ,
Mark K.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: peter b-RCU

i am building a P-38 yellow aircraft with 2 3W 28 gas engines, can i use this TwinSync Synchronizer on those engines?

peter

[email protected]
This thread is about the "Twin Sync"... an electronic engine synchronizer for MOSTLY twins with some talk of multi engine airplanes. Probably 80 -90% of this thread has been discussing the use of the "twin Sync" on gas motors.
WHAT IS YOUR CONFUSION??????????
Old 04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Mustang51

ORIGINAL: peter b-RCU

peter

[email protected]
This thread is about the ''Twin Sync''... an electronic engine synchronizer for MOSTLY twins with some talk of multi engine airplanes. Probably 80 -90% of this thread has been discussing the use of the ''twin Sync'' on gas motors.
WHAT IS YOUR CONFUSION??????????
Wow! Getting a little too much caffiene, Mustang51?

Peter - The answer to your question is yes. The Twinsync would be good for your project

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
crashwrench

Hello,
Maybe I did Not give enough Info. My two DA-85's use an inductive ignition pickup out on the Crankshaft/ Prop adapter.
in that piece is a magnet .

So, I will ask my Question(s) Again, Can I use the magnet that is Already Installed to trigger the twin syc's sensor .
Or can I use a Servo " Y " Harness To go between The DA's ign. pickup and Ignition Module , TOO trigger/Send a Signal to the Twin Syc. Module ?????

I'm working on a 1/5th scale P-82 Twin Mustang , (2) DA-85's For Power.

I have had Twin Engine planes Before , Manual Throtle Setups And Electronic , But with Glow Motors....

Thanks,
Mark K.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47237.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1425257  
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
stoat

Yes you should be able to use the existing magnets for the Twinsync pickups. NO, you can NOT just y-lead the existing pickups to the Twinsync system (I have already asked this question a few pages ago). Apparently there are different voltages used in both systems and that can cause either inconsistent operation or complete failure.

I have now taken the Twinsync off my F7F and it has never run better! A real shame as I really like this system, however no matter what I tried it wouldn't work with the EVO motors (2 magnets per pickup). I will just have to keep an eye on tuning and motor maintainance . Now if I could just get the gear doors sorted I will be a happy camper.....
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 AM
flypapa

QUESTION - TWINSYNC WORKS FINE ON SYNC BUT WHEN ONE MOTOR DIES THE OTHER GOES TO FULL INSTEAD OF IDLE ( GROUND TEST NOT IN THE AIR ) WHAT DID I MISS. THROTTLES WORKING IN RIGHT DIRECTION WITH OR WITHOUT TWINSYNC TURNED ON
Old 05-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Eldher

TWINSYNC GLOW DRIVER FIRE

I was just chaging the battery attached to my twinsync glow driver and the glow driver caught fire! The polarity was set correctly and also the current and voltage settings. I have had this setup working for a year and charged it at least 20 times. It just went POOF!

Any ideas what could have gone wrong? or better yet, how to keep it from happening again?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
PeterF

ORIGINAL: eldher13

TWINSYNC GLOW DRIVER FIRE

I was just chaging the battery attached to my twinsync glow driver and the glow driver caught fire! The polarity was set correctly and also the current and voltage settings. I have had this setup working for a year and charged it at least 20 times. It just went POOF!

Any ideas what could have gone wrong? or better yet, how to keep it from happening again?
Was the battery still connected to the glow driver when charged. I am sure I recall seeing advice that the battery should be disconnected because the charger could give rise to a higher voltage than the glow driver rating under certain circumstances. I found an earlier reply covering this where someone had asked Bill this question, here is his reply

I e-mail Bill and ask about charging the battery while it was still connected to the glow driver and this was his reply
You can charge with it connected BUT ONLY a DC Voltage Trickle charge. You can not charge it with a Fast, rapid, or pulse charger while connected.

See [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4700596/anchors_8022924/mpage_25/key_/anchor/tm.htm#8022924]Charging reply[/link]

Hopefully this may be useful.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Eldher

Thanks for the info. I dare say you found the likely problem. I do have mysetup so that the battery is always connected to the glow driver, even when charging. I have probably gotten by to date because I limit the charge rate, but NOT to trickle. Must have been a spike this time that burned a connection and caused a short, which lead to the fire.

Well, I know the fix now.

I really appreciate you looking through the old posts. Most helpful.

Cheers!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
esacco
My Feedback: (30)

Hi guys!

Any adivce here?

Still having issues with the sync.

I moved the hall sensors over to the other side of the motor as far away from possible to the ignition components as there was interferance.

That helped big time when the motors are at high to mid RPM. The idle down mode now works when one motor dies.

The big issue I still have is that the motors will not smoothly move from idle to higher RPMs. They idle fine. As you move the stick the motors oscillate and then they hit hard in a higher RPM very quickly. The transition is horrible. I have tried changing the sensitivity to the slowest point in increments as you all mentioned and still no luck. All of the other programming is correct as per the manual with EPA's set above 100% also. Do not know what else to do! Could I have a bad unit?

I have this on an ESM 110 with 2 SV26cc's

Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:47 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Is the manual available as a downloadable file, anywhere?
I've lost my printed manual, and need another.

Anybody got a link to the manual?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:16 PM
esacco
My Feedback: (30)

ORIGINAL: a1pcfixer

Is the manual available as a downloadable file, anywhere?
I've lost my printed manual, and need another.

Anybody got a link to the manual?
You can find it at the TBM site. they have both manuals there.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,

Sorry for the delay in answering questions...for some reason I was not getting emails when people posted here. Hopefully that is fixed now. Let me know what questions are still open?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys,
I bought my Twin Sync, in Nov. 2006...and now finally building the P-38 it is going in. I would like to send it in and have it checked out and up dated...and also I will need all the instructions to mount the unit into my model (I'm using Alum. spinners).

Who do I send my unit to, and what will it cost me. Any help will be nice.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To send a unit in for any reason send a PM or email to yl5295 on RCU..

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I bought my Twin Sync, in Nov. 2006...and now finally building the P-38 it is going in. I would like to send it in and have it checked out and up dated...and also I will need all the instructions to mount the unit into my model (I'm using Alum. spinners).

Who do I send my unit to, and what will it cost me. Any help will be nice.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Onelimey

Hello All,
I have a twin sync and haven't had any issues. I would like to know if there is another version out there or where can I get another one?

Tanks
Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Eldher

ORIGINAL: Onelimey

Hello All,
I have a twin sync and haven't had any issues. I would like to know if there is another version out there or where can I get another one?

Tanks
Andy

Troy Built Models carries them now. See [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCTWINSYNC.html]WRC-TwinSync[/link]

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Onelimey

ORIGINAL: eldher13

ORIGINAL: Onelimey

Hello All,

Tanks
Andy

Troy Built Models carries them now. See [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCTWINSYNC.html]WRC-TwinSync[/link]

Thanks, too bad that they are out of stock.

Tanks
Andy
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've tried to contact Bill Wike, and sent him a PM about checking out my twinsyc. But no answer... ? Is the company still in business ? I bought the unit back in late 2006, and wanted all up grades and a glow plug mod done to my Twinsync. I am more then willing to pay for this...but no answer.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.