Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 AM
highside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eletronic engine syncronizer **SUPPORT **

Hi Bill,

Just to let you know that the new chip you sent me fixed the problem with not being able to set the servo center points (switch setting 0/1). I clearly had a very old firmware version.

Thanks for your help,

A
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 AM
knudzimm

Any word on develeping a 4 engine sync? I have a twinsync on a twinstar and love it! now I have a 123" wing span b-17 with 4 saito .65's almost ready to fly. was going to put in 2 sync's one for out board engines and one for inboard engines, but would rather have one sync do all 4 engines. The twinsync is a great product and have bought 6 sets of twinsync's for different projects. great insurance for those expensive airplanes.. Keep up the great work!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
stoat

Bill
after crashing my KMP F7F Tigercat on landing (maiden flight![&o]) due to one engine dying, I have ordered a twin sync. I am running 2 EVO 26cc gassers with the std ignitions. They are well shielded so should work fine, but they have two magnets per motor for the ignition pickups. I gather this is to stop backwards running. Will this effect the twinsync pickups? Magnets are at 90deg. Not sure if they are reverse polarity or not.

Also are you able to use the existing ignition pick ups for the Twinsync? I assume not as there would probably be all sorts of weird back feeding and voltage issues, but I figured I would ask.

P.S. there are 2 of us with these models here. The other guy has CRRC Pro 26R gassers. His Twinsync is shipping with mine.

Cheers, Brett.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM
yl5295
My Feedback: (1)

Four engine sync unit has been shipping for about 2 years now... I only sell them direct and I sell them for the same price as two TwinSyncs now...so email me... one of these days I am going to get a B-17 and try one myself...meanwhile I depend on my C-130 customers to fly the quadsync... about 30-50 in the field being flown....
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 AM
yl5295

Stoat,

Down load the manual and read it... you can use the already installed magnets (if there is only one pulse per rotation) but use the sensors with the twinsync. Do not try to use the ignition sensors for the twinsync.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Bill,
I have the twinsync system installed in a TF Cessna 310 with two OS 55 AX engines. I have the aux channel programmed for mode 3, I have confirmed the bit mapping of the LEDs to ensure it's mode 3. When I wiggle one of the props the little green sensor led flickers and the two red LEDs illuminate for 10 seconds (just as the manual says they should). The problem is that the glow drivers are not working. The yellow LED on the glow driver is not illuminating and I confirmed with a volt meter that there is no power getting to the plug. I have double - triple checked my connections and everything is per the manual. Is it possible to have two dead glow drivers or am I missing something? Also, I confirmed that I was getting 1.25 volts from my glow battery to the glow driver, I checked this with a voltmeter on the glow driver board.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom
Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Tip22v

Bill,
One other thing, when I ran up the engines the twinsync seemed to be working because when I turned the aux switch on and off the engines would go slightly out of sync and then back into perfect sync when I flipped the aux switch. At about 3/4 throttle I killed one engine to see if the other engine would retard to idle, it did not retard, it just kept on screaming. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Tom
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
yl5295

Why don't you email or PM me your phone # and a good time to call when we can go through it together since you have multiple questions/issues.

Bill
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Tip22v

Thanks for the quick reply. Sent you an email with my phone number.

Tom
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 PM
kram-RCU

yl5295:

OK! Got everything wired up and working for the Bf-110 with .91's.

I chose Mode 3 for glowplug control (RPM control for plugs, AUX CH turns TS on and off) The plugs turn on for 10 sec. when I twitch the magnets. All the red, yellow, green LEDS are working as expected, etc.

But is there a way to tell which AUX switch position has the TS on/off without firing up the engines? It's too cold here to fire up engines.

Thanks,

mt

Old 02-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark,,
First off,, people are die'n to see you and you are at work playing on computer... Why?
Second,, turn on the heater in the garage... / \

Third, the answer is NO.. Both engine sensors have to have RPM and throttle stick has to be
within TS activate range..

You *could* try to remove glow plugs and use two starters to turn engines and watch
the sync LED. That would require two starters, two people to operate them and a person
on TX... Basically, a major PIA... [:@]
Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
kram-RCU

Robby:

Good to hear you are still alive.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait till I can run the engines outside.

I know everybody out there is just holding their breath to see if stubborn ol' kram can be won over to the TwinSync side. At the very least, I'll use it to manage my glow plugs on this plane.

Have you ever experienced how fast a .91 FS can fill a garage with smoke!? I have!

Hate to say, but most of my work IS on a computer these days.

Even the oasis of the OR has been invaded.

mt
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Robby

ORIGINAL: kram-RCU
Robby:

Good to hear you are still alive.
Yuppp,, very much alive.. Trying to stay that way too..
I know everybody out there is just holding their breath to see if stubborn ol' kram can be won over to the TwinSync side. At the very least, I'll use it to manage my glow plugs on this plane.
MT,, its not a 'win you over' thing..
TwinSync is an aid.. A device to help sync engines and also to let you
KNOW you have one out and give you little extra time to correct for it...

Have you ever experienced how fast a .91 FS can fill a garage with smoke!? I have!
Ohhh yeah.. Ran a 1.2o in my store one day.. Dang goood thing it was a warm day..
Had to run fans to get yuckyness out...

Hate to say, but most of my work IS on a computer these days.
Even the oasis of the OR has been invaded.
Computers can't do surgery...

[/quote]
Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Tip22v

Bill,
We talked on the phone two months ago and you said you would send me a replacement unit, did you send the unit because I have not received it.

Regards,

Tom
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 PM
yl5295

I sent out replacement to everyone I thought. It would have been sent regular first class mail so there is no tracking info. Send me your and I will send a replacement when I get it. email me at [email protected] for ship to address if you do not have it.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Tip22v

Bill,
I sent you an email. Thanks for the help.

Tom

Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
skubacb

Just bought a twinsync from TroyBuilt. Can I take the chip from it and put in in my older, 2.3.1 unit? If so then could I send the older chip to be updated?

BTW what are the changes from 2.3.1 to 2.4. I.E. is it worth doing. My inclination is to do so.

The unit comes with mode 4 set for fast Gas engines. I am using two OS 81 four stroke engines. Since you have a setting for glow I changed to the recommended setting for glow. A second unit will be used with two OS 55 2S and I expect to go to the recommended for fast glow. The third unit will be controlling two RCVS 26CC gas engines so I expect the factory default (fast gas engines) is correct. Since you state I should check with tech support about this, I am doing so now.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:41 AM
yl5295

There are no updates between 2.3 and 2.4... there was only a minor hardware change that only affected the four engine sync.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:11 AM
skubacb

Thanks. Nice to know there is nothing to do except get all the setups right.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:02 AM
steve1mac

I'm new to twin engine setup.
I have had no problems with Twinsync or the glow driver setup. However, I am using a Spektrum DX7 and have the second throttle on the AUX2 channel. Everything works okay but I can't find a way to defeat the Aux2 switch. If I accidentally hit that switch all hell breaks loose!
Am I doing something wrong with my setup on the DX7? The manual talks about programing but doesn't explain exactly how to setup twin engines.
What is the proper way to setup a DX7 for twin engines?
And is there a way to defeat the AUX2 switch?

Thanks! Great forum thread.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Make it easy on yourself and just use a y-harness and just the throttle channel.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My planned Ziroli DC-3 project will have twin Enya VT240s as power plants, ala Roger Young of the late 80's, early 90's Top Gun and Masters fame. Will the standard TwinSync setup work for these (V-2) engines?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
steve1mac

ORIGINAL: yl5295

NEW FEATURE

Guys... I have a new feature available by special request now. It is a special mode for the Cessna 337. Since this is a push pull rather than a traditional (left - right) twin I have come up with a special mode for this airplane on the TwinSync. Here is how it works:

Never idles an engine even if one quits (similar to mode 6 but enabled all of the time).
Does not sync engines above 90% throttle (just gives engines full power)

The reason that it doesn't sync the engines at full power is because of the push pull arrangement one engine will always be capable of turning more RPM than the other. Therefore sync'ing them at full power robs you of peak thrust. To make them sync just pull the stick back a couple of clicks and they fall into sync.

All other modes are still there (independant run up mode, aux ch defeat, etc). The above two features are turned on all of the time in all modes. So only ask for this version if you have a push-pull setup. This mode is only available direct from me by sending in your IC (or board) and requesting it.
I would like this programming. I am building a 337.
Where do I send the unit to be programmed?
Address Please
Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM
skubacb

Wonder where we can buy the Twinsync and his other products besides TroyBuilt. A number of us are having bad experiences with TBM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Robby

ORIGINAL: skubacb

Wonder where we can buy the Twinsync and his other products besides TroyBuilt.
A number of us are having bad experiences with TBM.

Currently TBM is only one carring WIKE Products.. (TwinSync)

What are the problems you are having with TBM? And please provide specifics..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.