Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

101" C-130 arf

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 PM
c130nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 101" C-130 arf

Well guys... all this talk of the C-130 is making me want to sell off some stuff to get one of those ARF's and or pull my QF C130 out of the mothballs to finish it. I wonder easy it would be to modify the fuse and painting on the film?
Bill Richardson
Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 PM
c130nut

I forgot to ask one question. If anyone has one of the ARF C130's... once you buy one with the stationary gear.... can you later add the retracts with relative ease?
Thanks
Bill R
Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: c130nut

I forgot to ask one question. If anyone has one of the ARF C130's... once you buy one with the stationary gear.... can you later add the retracts with relative ease?
Thanks
Bill R
Bill, mine is coming with retracts, but I’m sure you can. Ask this question of awood12345, he has one.

Mr DJ
Old 01-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Tiffie

The retracts can be fitted later. The are quite complex with four vertical rams on the mains and conventional swivel on the nose. The doors are a work of art, especially the nose!

Flies really well on 30 4-strokes. The tanks are not that big so just powering as a twin with 52s or similar would mean short flights. The length of the engine is important and it has to go in through a small slot/hatch. It's pretty tight in there!

four 30 4-st sound awesome!!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
awood12345

Tiffie is my dad and he just answered all your questions so there's no point in me repeating anything.

I can't remember where the servos for the flaps are mounted sorry. Its gone back to the UK Distributer now (for thier display team I believe) as we were only testing and evaluating it for a few months.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: Tiffie

Flies really well on 30 4-strokes. The tanks are not that big so just powering as a twin with 52s or similar would mean short flights. The length of the engine is important and it has to go in through a small slot/hatch. It's pretty tight in there!

four 30 4-st sound awesome!!
Tiffie

Thanks for the info, but let me say this—the difference in size of OS’s .30 and .40 is merely millimeters. I really want to go with .40s—just into to have and not need than to need and not have:

.30 - L: 84mm; W: 29mm & 36mm; H: 86.5mm

.40 - L: 77.5mm; W: 32.5mm & 42mm; H: 98mm

The length is smaller than the .30 but the height is 12mm longer. So I can see the head sticking out of the cowl. But besides that, do you think they will fit?

My bird should be here any day but that’s what they said a month ago

Mr DJ
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM
starberfarbin
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys....

I just love this bird! It's just "begging" to be my next one. But has it been released yet? If not when do they expect it on the market. Is it all hoopla or is it really just weeks away?

Thanks in advance

Just finishing up my all Electric KMP B-25 so need another electric project (like a hole in the head, but you know how that goes!)

CYL
Stu
Old 01-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: starberfarbin

I just love this bird! It's just "begging" to be my next one. But has it been released yet? If not when do they expect it on the market. Is it all hoopla or is it really just weeks away?

Just finishing up my all Electric KMP B-25 so need another electric project (like a hole in the head, but you know how that goes!)

CYL
Stu
Stu

Mine has been on order for over month—my folks tell me that the planes are still in China—some sort of problem—who knows…
Old 01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
starberfarbin

Mr DJ

Thanks for the come back. I'm not sure where to order from Hobby People or? But will definately do so soon. There always seems to be a hold up
on these ARFs when ever they make the original "splash". I guess it's the old adage..... Hype Hype Hype= profits in the long run! Hopefully the kit will
be spot on and not have any problems. I did an old Kyosho DC3 and those things are a ***** to keep in the air.... airfoil problem... classic case of not
enough "beta" testing etc.

As for the B25, yeah I got mine a few months ago (sencond generation) but still put in Robarts even though the 2nd gen retracts look a WHOLE BUNCH better
than the original 30-40 size garbage. If you don't trick it out it goes together VERY fast and is a fun bird. But I certainly understand where you are with
the Turbine bug!!! I've got 3 DF jets and love them..always wanted to go the turbine route but with all the hassles getting AMA certified it's tough when
there's not alot of guys around to sign you off etc....

I'll keep ya posted on the Herk if I ever can get one!!

Thanks
Cyl
Stu
Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Mr DJ

Stu

I’d like to see your retracts. I think the ones I have a ok looking even though I haven’t seen them in ages. I’m interested to know what differences there are in the 2nd Gen.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Mr DJ

Still waiting for its arrival...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM
djjokki

Hi i wonder if somebuddy has pictures of this airplane when its taken apart? inside pictures,when taken apart for transport...
I have seen another c-130 somewere on the net but i cant find it again it was fibre glass fuslage operational hatch back you coud even carry weight in the cargo room up to 10kg i belive it was for 40 size engines about 3000mm wing span... Woud like to get a hold of that site again... ut this from asm gets me curius but i have to order it from over sea, (live in Norway)
Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM
petsamo

Hello Norway, you are looking for this site
www.jethangar.com

regards from Sweden
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
djjokki

Thx alot bud thats the real hercules =))))))) thx again will not be the ESM now if u know what i mean
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 AM
blairsparrow

I have a hercybird on order, awaiting my return to the UK.

I'm trying to find some discussion regarding electric power for the ASM C130. I built the Nijhuis Lancaster from scratch last year, with an 130" wingspan and 27 lb weight. It is powered by 4 AXI 2826-12 outrunners, each running off 12 GP 3300mah NiMh cells. Its flies great! If anything its overpowered, but I'm hoping to pull the engines from the Lanc and put them in to the C130. This is because the IC reccomendation for the Lanc was 4 .25 2 strokers, so if the AXI outrunners flew that, they should fly the herckbird.

Any pointers to other discussions welcome.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 AM
mastertoad
My Feedback: (53)

Hi
I would appreciate any owner of the C 130 to inform me if the engine bays will accomadate Magnum 52 FS...I can afford these at 105$ each but my retirement budget prohibits OS or Saito 30's.....
Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How about Magnum 30s?

Jim
Old 02-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

Granted I don't have this kit/ARF, but you guys might really want to think twice about overpowering this bird.

I have OS 26's in my C-130 (scratch built, same size) and they are the perfect match. I had Royal 28 2-strokes and they vibrated and rattled and were WAY too much power. Also, the 2-strokes were not near as reliable as they needed to be for a multi, especially since they need to be mounted inverted. Mounting inverted would cause them to load up BAD during idle. Even tried onboard glow with no improvement. The tanks would also foam with the vibration and an engine would always drop after idling for any period of time. I'm convinced had I tried to fly it with these engines it would have been the demise of my Herc.

Switched gears and bought the OS 26's and they didn't need on board glow, fit in the nacelles perfect, and the sound and reliability are unmatched. I know OS still makes a 30 that is basically the same engine as the 26 and Magnum makes the 30 4-stroke that would be perfect for this plane too. Even the Saito 30 (if they can still be found) would be a good choice. The OS 40's might be OK, but I feel you're quickly reaching the limit of what the plane can handle especially after reading about how the fuse is constructed.

I would be afraid to go with ball bearing 32 or 36 size 2-strokes simply for the same problems I encountered.

Just trying to make the decision a little easier for some who haven't made up their minds on engine selection. Since I have already went through many of the problems that I envision with this C-130 with mine, hopefully this will help.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 AM
P. Richards

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Is anyone doing a build thread on the C-130? I am powering mine with four Eflite 25 motors that give approximately 4lbs of thrust each, which will give me 16lbs of total thrust, that should be more than enough to fly this bird. I have the scale retracts and the nose gear are kind of tricky the nose gear cutout is too small for the scale gear to retract has anyone else had this problem?

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Old 03-02-2007, 05:40 AM
blairsparrow

Hi P Richards.

re: Your e flite 25's: sounds interesting. I'm running AXI 2826/12's in mine, which are normally reccomended for .40 IC replacement, but I have used them in several speed 600 / .25 IC aircraft with great success. I run 4 of them in a scratch built Lancaster that weighs 27 lbs. Running on 12 NiMh cells per motor it has bags of excess power.

I have been running some numbers on this bird, as I was concerned about the all up weight and therefore power to weight ratio with the retracts installed. The retracts are heavy!

I spoke to the UK importers, Ripmax. They have not built an electric C-130. Their IC ones are powered by OS surpass .30's (or is it . 32-I dont recall), which they report has almost acrobatic performance. They reported an all up weight of 7.1 KG (15.5 lbs) without retracts, and estimated an electric with retracts should be around 8 KG's (17.5 lbs). I have not yet weighed any of the components myself.

Assuming an AUW of, say 19 lbs, and 55 watts per pound as a reasonable amount for a big scale bird, I'm looking for about 1050 watts, total power. In a Ripmax EP Mustang, the same motor and a 12 x 8 APC thin electric prop pulls 28 amps on an 11.1 LiPo pack. So the total powere should be: say 10.5v x 28a x 4 engines = 1176 watts total. Even allowing for only 85% efficiency, this still provides 1000 watts, so I'm in the right ball park. More power is available from a bigger prop if needed.

Running similar calculations for the Lancaster resulted in a model that flies around on about one third throttle- i.e. overpowered. The take off performance is unbeleivable, too- it leaps off the ground. I understand that this may be due to greater efficiency gained by having 4 wing-mounted engines. Basically, they are blowing a lot of wind straight over the wing from the moment the throttle is applied, instead of the case with a single where the engine is blowing over the fuselage and wing roots (inefficient). I'm certainly no aerodynamics whizz, but it makes sense to me!

I'd be very interested to hear how you overcome the nose gear problem. Also, how will you run the throttles? In my Lancaster I have each wing pair on a separate channel, and mix in some throttle to aileron; when the model turns additional power is added to the higher wing to avoid skidding. On this one I'm thinking of having the inner engines paired and the out engines paired. At least this way if you loose an outer or an inner on one side, you can cut the corresponding engine on the other side. You'd loose 2 engines, but at least you would'nt have to worry about differential thrust (and therefore spinning in).

Did your C130 come with servo covers for the wing and tail? The instructions show tail servo covers, but I can't find them. I'm making slip on covers from Plasticard.

Good luck, stay in touch
Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I did install a retract nose gear,, but used a Goldberg unit from years ago. It does work well because there is little weight on it and the takeoffs quickly shift weight to the mains. Jim
Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
P. Richards

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah mine came with the covers but I had to have them send a new set of windows and nose cone along with a new engine pod because the original ones from the kit were crappy. I took the plunge and bought the retract kit for the C-130 because I felt that I should go all the way with this kit including a functional door to launch parashoot guys and the M.O.A.B. mother of all bombs.
but this nose gear door issue really sucks with no help from Hobby Lobby I guess they figured nobody would buy the retractable gear
therefore they didn't figure out the correct geometry of the swing on the nose wheel. I have had a difficult time contacting customer service with no real answers on mounting the retracts they keep saying they will check the prototype and get back with me that was a week ago[]...

P. Richards aka Swat Team
Old 03-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: jimcork1

I did install a retract nose gear,, but used a Goldberg unit from years ago. It does work well because there is little weight on it and the takeoffs quickly shift weight to the mains. Jim
Jim

How long have you had your bird? Do you think or know if Goldberg still sells that same nose gear you obtained from them? Is there a part number, etc., or would I simply ask for a C-130 Nose Gear?

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 03-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: P. Richards

Yeah mine came with the covers but I had to have them send a new set of windows and nose cone along with a new engine pod because the original ones from the kit were crappy. I took the plunge and bought the retract kit for the C-130 because I felt that I should go all the way with this kit including a functional door to launch parashoot guys and the M.O.A.B. mother of all bombs.
but this nose gear door issue really sucks with no help from Hobby Lobby I guess they figured nobody would buy the retractable gear therfore they didn't figure out the correct geometry of the swing on the nose wheel. P. Richards aka Swat Team
P. Richards

How long have you had your bird? Mine has been on order since Sep/Oct 06. A shipment came in but mine was lower on the list. I’m number 9 now but they don’t expect the next batch until mid May 07—can you believe that crap?

I bought the retracts also. If mine comes with all the crappy parts as yours, it would take a freakin’ year to receive replacements—I may tell them the keep it. But I do want it; you know what I’m saying?

Have you already created the functional rear door? I wish to do the same—please enlighten me on how you constructed it or will construct it.

I intend; I say again, “intend” to go somewhat scale on the props. APC has a 9x6 4-bladed prop via Tower Hobbies. I also intend to use them on OS .40 4cys—will need that tad bit more punch to turn the blade at an (hopefully) fast enough RPM to lift off. I’ve obtained the exact measurements of both the .30 and .40 from OS Engines’ Web. There are merely 5mm or so difference in size; I may have to trim the nylon engine mount, but that’s no biggy. I just don’t want to have to trim the cowling at all but will be ok with just the head protruding. Give me your thoughts on this, please.

Just so you and other readers know, I’ve been flying this exact same bird on Aerofly Pro Deluxe Simulator. It has electric motors with a 4-blade prop. It has two position flaps which when extended, makes the plane lift off by itself. Its top speed is maybe 50mph—maybe. Its turns are slow and wide; if you turn tight, it will dip and falls like a rock, so you must have plenty of altitude if you intend to turn tight. Landings are sweet—I’m already a pro

Mr DJ
Old 03-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Took these pics today. The owner was ground testing engines and doing taxi testing. I stayed for one taxi test. Sounded great with all four engines running. It would not make the turn at the end of the taxiway, the nose wheel just pushed ahead. Could have been a CG problem, I dunno. Paint job looked great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42998.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	635458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13014.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	635459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11215.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	635460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76326.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	635461   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99668.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	635462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw27496.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	635463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25877.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	635464  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.