Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

101" C-130 arf

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
jersue
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 101" C-130 arf

Randy---I have two Anderson-Aurand on board glow drivers that will each power up to five glow plugs. They cost about $24 each and they are excellent "programable" drivers, that can also be used as a switch to power lights, etc. But--- I am not using them on my C-130----instead I am using a 5000 Ma "D" cell for power, and using a servo actuated switch to manually turn the power on and off to the glow plugs. This way I can actuate my on board glow driver any time I want by merely moving a switch on my transmitter, primarily for starting, take-off and landing or anytime I am running near idle. BTW---wheel collars are an excellent way to attach the wire to the glow plug. If you want more info on the Anderson-Aurand glow driver---let me know, or do a google search for Anderson-Aurand. Jerry
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Mr DJ

Jerry

I’ve been using McDaniel’s for the longest of time at $60/70 a pop. I wish I knew about the Anderson version… ...I do now...

Can you be most specific on your own setup: 5000 batt, switch, etc.

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
jersue

Mr DJ---It is just a simple switch actuated by a servo plugged into an unused receiver channel that turns the battery power on and off to the glow plug. Very simple, yet gives you the option of keeping battery power on to your glow plug whenever you want it--from idle to full throttle. Jerry
Old 07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
randy m
My Feedback: (30)

jerry, if i understand you right you take a servo -plug in a unused channel, connect to a on-off switch, run wires to plugs and ground,and use a 1.5 volt 5000ma batt. randy
Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 AM
jersue

Randy----Yep you got it---except the battery is a 1.2 volt NIMH. I am using the 5000Ma one until I get one of the new 10,000 or 11,000 NIMH "D" batteries, for longer battery life between charges. This is exactly what the Anderson on board glow driver does. It acts as a switch------- but has programable options. Jerry
Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Jersue:

Did a google search for anderson-aurand and didn't find anything in regards to the on board glow driver...typed in WWW. anderson-aurand.com, and it didn't come up..what is the correct web site for this outfit?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
jersue

Jimmy----I just did a google search for "anderson-aurand" and the very first item up was a PDF manual on their glow driver, but I was unable to access their site as well. Jerry
Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
randy m

Jerry thanks a million for the info on your on board set up .I just got done with installing mine.I used 5000ma d cell nicad,A automotive type toggle switch,servo on 7th channel,lamp cord wire for wiring.And of course your brillant idea of wheel collars for glow plugs!!!! I have 1.36 volts to each plug, and have a lead from batt. to charge with. Can not wait to try it out this weekend> Randy M
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
jersue

You are welcome Randy. Let me know how it turns out. I may be ready to try for the "wild blue yonder" on my new (rebuilt) 130 on Saturday. I have not had any suggestions from Hobby People on how to keep the bird in the air. They are strangely quiet. Hmmmmmmmm-------. Here is the final version of my KMP Cessna 337/0-1A. I like it a lot. Jerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50823.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	720313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56379.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	720314  
Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, bad post.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
randy m

Jerry,All the pointers I got from them is always keep some power on, keep plenty of airspeed and do not bank it to much, no more than 45 degrees. Keep at least 25% power on till just before touch down ,If you use flaps which I do not anymore,you will have to increase power and airspeed, so what is the point??? use rudder in all your turns,just enough so tail does not lag behind. let me know how your flight goes. GOOD LUCK!!!! Hope these pointers help. Randy M
Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: randy m

the order is outside left is 1 inside left is 2 inside right is 3 outside right 4. get er done!!! randy
Randy

I'm serious--are you talking from standing in front or behind the plane?

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM
randy m

DJ,standing behind the plane. 1 is outboard left,2 is inboard left. 3 is inboard right 4 is outboard right. later, Randy M
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Jersue;

Still come up with nothing in regards to Anderson -Aurand web-site or their 5000ma battery scheme for on board glow system..Do have 2 units of 'Electro-Dynamics" that could be used on the C-130 if needed..again they are little on the heavy side....
Old 07-14-2007, 06:01 AM
jersue

Jimmy,
I cannot access Anderson-Aurand website either. I think it may have changed. Contact
Ken Anderson
3582 Rio Pacifica Way
Sacramento, Ca 95832
916-565-1992

You may also try his e-mail at:
[email protected]

Or here is the webb site for the PDF on his glow driver.
http://www.wdarc.org/Articles/MicroGlow.pdf

Good luck,
Jerry
Old 07-14-2007, 11:56 AM
jersue

The SECOND first flight on my Herc went off without a hitch. Takeoff was picture perfect. Inflight required only 2 clicks of down trim for level flight. All control throws were set as per instructions, but ailerons need more throw as they were quite mushy. I flew for about 5 minutes making only shallow turns, and the airplane was VERY stable and showed no bad tendencies. I did not use flaps. The landing was also picture perfect without flaps. Speed on final was not too fast. I did not decrease the throttle beow 1/2 until I was on final. Only very slight up elevator was required to flare for landing. The only change I made to this airplane from my first one was a CG adjustment. The CG on Herc #1 was 4" back from the leading edge (per instructions). I have seen many airplanes spin into the ground from being too tail heavy. I moved my batteries forward and added a glow plug battery in the nose and now my CG is EXACTLY 2 7/8" back from the leading edge. It is too early to tell after only one flight that this is the cure for the early demise of my first Herc, and I am not recommending this as cure to you, but you may want to consider it. I'll make reports later after a few more flights. I didn't make a second flight today-----one muffler needed home repair. Sorry no pictures.
Hooray for me----------
Jerry
Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 PM
jersue

I forgot to thank "jimcork" and "randym" in my previous post, for their suggestions and tips to make this first flight a success. Thanks guys. Also, thanks to Mike Greenshields of Hobby Shack (distributors of ASM products) who has been most helpful. He also flies an ASM C-130.
Jerry
Old 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM
randy m

Hey Jerry, made my 2nd flight today with the on-board glow,awesome engines ran flawless and idle was unbelivable,flight was perfect with no problems at all. I am one happy camper now!!!!! Did you make your maiden today? Randy M
Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 PM
randy m

Sorry Jerry I did not see your post till I sent mine about your flight today CONGRATS !!!!! I did not make but one fight today because of rain. I also changed my cg ,I put tray with battery,switch,servo between formers in fuse just in front of wing tube and left my weight in nose alone so I know I am a bit nose heavy but it flew much better. Randy M
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM
jersue

Well, it was "Bad Day at Black Rock" for me here in Palm City, FL, today. ASM C-130 #2 bit the dust on it's second flight. Take off was again picture perfect, and the airplane was flying perfectly until the #2 engine quit on the up-wind leg, right over the runway. The Herc veered only slightly to the left and I was able to level the wings with very little effort. I made a right turn, and it was very easy to maintain level flight on the downwind leg, but on the right turn to base, all "hell" broke loose and it went into a step spiraling dive to the right. I was able to pull the nose up once, but it immediately snapped to the left, and spiraled into the ground in a left spiral---exactly like my first one did. The expert on-lookers (without exception) did not believe I was too slow on my turn to base leg. The good news for all you C-130 jocks-----the airplane flies beautifully on three engines, if the dead one is an inboard engine. I had coupled 3/4" movement of rudder to the ailerons, and I believe that was big help in maintaining level flight when the engine quit. The bad news is, that this airplane will fly very well within a "VERY SMALL" flight envelope, but if you stray outside that envelope, EVEN FOR JUST AN INSTANT, bad things will probabaly happen very quickly and give you almost no time to recover. My Herc is past repair, but none of my equipment was damaged. I now have lots of spare "Y" connectors and a bunch of near new servos for my next project. It won't be another C-130. Good luck to all you Herc drivers out there. I will continue to monitor this thread and will be glad to share anything I learned with this airplane, with you.
Sad in Palm City, Jerry
Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 PM
randy m

Man that is bad bad news, I am sorry to hear that I thought for sure we had this thing licked!!! But it sounds like when things go right it flys great ,but one little bump in the road and it is over,I just am lost for words to say. Truly sorry again Randy M
Old 08-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Mr DJ

I maiden that Bad Boy this morning. It was a bit windy—bad news for any maiden no matter your skills (my thinking). I have OS 25 FSRs—yes, FSRs. I had then new since 1985 while stationed in Misawa Japan (Air Force). I used MA 8x6 3-blades—they look like toy props.

After a few taxies, I let her rip—kept her low for a while then gained attitude. The crosswind tossed me around a bit; dipped the left wing and I just knew it was a gonna, but flying on high rates saved me—I believe.

I have JR’s 9393—have to give it 56 points reading of right aileron and 56 of down—yes, down elevator. Prior to that the nose kept pointing upward—I will add more weight before next flight. Once I got her trimmed to the windy day, it flew like a freakin’ bird. I landed it with throttle full back and let the speed of the idol trim settings bring her down. (I’ve been flying her in Aeroflow Simulator for months now). She touched down pretty soft but that still was hard enough to warp the main wheels (retracts). After inspection, I simply move the wheels back to it’s proper place.

I have to tell you, this is a cheap, a** plane (construction wise), but she flies like a bird—so I’m happy.

I’m thinking of ordering new nacelles and mounting the engines up-right—has any of you done this?
It took me forever to get the engines started because all four would continue to get liquid lock. I removed and install the glow plugs so many times, I almost said forget this crap, but I keep going and finally moved fast enough to start all four before they locked again. Members at my field told me somehow move the fuel tank down, for the centerline of the tank is too high, forcing fuel into the carb just by sitting still. I may obtain so Dubro slanted tanks, for I couldn’t lower them and still use the hole in the firewall.

Anyways, again, I got her up, she flew great, and I got her down in one piece—I’m happy!

Mr DJ
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM
randy m

Congrats!!!! Dj now you you are are a offical member of the C 130 nitemare club!! As for your down I think all of them requre some down all 3 of mine have. I flew mine today also and barely got it back,take off was good but something did not feel right made left turn and it did not want to turn had to keep putting more and more aileron and rudder,got it level and it kept wanting to drop right wing,I thought I had a engine out on right side so gave it full power and left rudder, lined up on final nose down and landed super hot.To my surprise all 4 engines were still running.The red stripe on right wing came loose on the front edge and was catching air like a parachute !! Congrats again Randy M
Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
jersue

Congratulations DJ, Glad you got it up and down. You done good. Keep 'em flyin' Randy. I'm so glad to hear your getting some flights on yours. I am about ready for the first flight on my ASM P61. I am really impressed with how well it went together. I think I'm going to like it. Jerry
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Mr DJ

Randy/Jerry - Thanks for the Props. I'll give her another go this Sunday.

Have any of us mounted the engines upright that you know of?

Anyways, got her out of the way; now it's time my Long EZ 160 Carnard (already built actually); then my Hangar 9 P-47 150; then my KMP B-25; then my Gee Bee (again); then my Super Cub; and I'm saving the best for last, my Yellow Aircraft F-15 turbine--oh yeah, baby

But I still like Hangar 9's new Sundowner--you think I have enough

Mr DJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.