Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

101" C-130 arf

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 101" C-130 arf

Ranbdy:

Have already done what you suggested...Iron down the red stripe..In fact.went over the wings,stab,and rudder with a heat iron...Hopefully.everything will stay in place.......Am sending you a PM later....Thanx again for your help...
Old 11-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Randy:

Here are the pics of the on board glow system...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24347.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	815210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96643.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	815211  
Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 AM
UkerDuker
My Feedback: (3)

Is anyone still looking for this ARF? There is one sitting my LHS for $299(Nashville, TN). I know thats alot cheaper than the original price.

Shoot me an email for the details.

Mike
Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
adamjedgar

Hi all,
Im new to this forum and live in Newcastle Australia. I hadnt flown any RC stuff for about 10 years and was casually wandering down to my local bank when i happened to see one of these beauties. My RC days have been rekindled with the purchase of two arf's. A giles 202 and the c130 herc.

I notice that many discussions about engine sizes have been posted. After flying 4 engined scale aircraft on RC flight simulators i have noticed that more power makes a huge difference to the models overall flight characteristics. For example (this is not a complete list only some of the obvious things i have noticed so far),

Positive impacts

1. more power on take off, climb out, and missed approaches,
2. far better manourverability due to higher model speed
3. better ability to remain airborne with one or even two engine outs

Negative impacts
1. significant swings in yaw when outboard engine fails unless you instantly reduce the opposing engine throttle (probably a pain no matter what the engine size)
2. increase in aircraft weight, and since this extra weight is out on wings the aircraft seems to roll like a boat in rough seas on uneven ground (more so than the video clip i saw of a c130 running 30's...when combined with lower prop ground clearance, she does tend to "mow the grass a bit"!!!)
3. larger props (less ground clearance but still adequite, i actually have purchased some 3 bladers for it which should help a lot with this problem)
4. significantly more vibration energy transferred through airframe (soft engine mounts are probably the go, i dont have any yet)

I have chosen four OS FS52's for my herc and they do fit realtively easily into the cowls with minor cutouts for the engine heads and exhausts. I don't expect to have any of the power issues mentioned by a few of you (my taxy runs thus far show the model show really get up and go with these engines in it).

I had terrible trouble getting the engines to rev the same...i ended up cutting holes in the top of the cowls so i could see the carby venturies, purchased both a tacho and infra red temp gauge. with a little mucking around (and i do mean minor once i could see the damn venturies when adjusting linkages) i think i finally have engines running within about 150 rpm of each other at most throttle settings.

I do have cause for complaint though,
1. the wing and engine nacelle mounting systems really suck
2. the nose retract and steering is an absolute pain in the arse
3. the nose gear door system is nothing short of useless. I am going to have to completely redesign this area as the ASM idea doesnt work very well at all. in fact the ASM assembly booklet and addednum makes no mention of it...thanks guys, a real help that was!!!!)
4. the plastic used in the aircraft iseems to be polystyrene. It is neither strong nor impact resistant, hence it easily cracks (especially around your glow plug extension lead mounts, and fuel filler points).

I am seriously think of making a fibreglass mould of this model before this one falls apart (she don't seem to me to be strong enough to handle our rough grass strips...and the first time she has to do a belly landing will it almost certainly be her last!!!!)

On a lighter note, apart from all that, what a great looking model!!!![]

Kind regards
Adam
Old 12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
adamjedgar

G'day,
Just thought id quickly update my own entry here last nite. I have flown my herc earlier today running four OS FS52's.

On take off, the thing running these engines was awesome...it barely travelled 10-15 metres before it literally rocketed into the sky and commenced climbing (much to the suprise of the 20 or so club members who were chorousing their collective pleasure behind me). The climbout angle was incredidably steep and it continued to accelerate to full speed during climbout.

The only down side i experienced to the first, and unfortunately only, flight of the herc was the lack of downthrust with these engines. When we checked the c of g, the model was reasonably nose heavy (as you would expect running 52's instead of 30's), however, once airborne it was flying as if it was tail heavy. My conclusion... the excess thrust produced by these engines and larger props was the cause. It was in no way uncontrollable in most aspects of flight, especially once i trimmed down (the amount of trim needed was substancial). I flew the model for approximately 10 minutes or a little over before disaster struck!!!

I passed low infront of pit area climbed a little and then, commenced gentle bank to the right to fly downwind and set up for landing. The wind was left to right (not ideal but the only direction available due to the location of pit area) and, almost immediately, there was a sudden change of noise from the aircraft, and it commenced a right hand flat spin from a height of approx 30 feet. I immediately cut throttles, but alas, it happened too fast, with virtually no altitude available for recovery she flat spun virtually the whole way to the ground (the spin angle increasing after descending about 10 feet or so).

The fueslage is a wright off...the wings, engine nacelles and tail plane are undamaged.

Definately a model to have a go at flying. It flying characteristics under normal conditions were docile albeit fast.

Beware the engine failure when turning cross wind[]

Cheers all
Adam
Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Adam:

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes...Where did you have your CG?..Set mine at 95mm...nose is pointing down at about 5-10 degrees..do you know what engine fail??..Can't fly mine until next spring..winter has settle in here....Really don't want to fly this beast in a crosswind....again,sorry to hear about the C-130...
Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
jersue
My Feedback: (40)

Adam,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune on your first flight. Your experience is nearly identical to my two crashes except for the flat spin part. You may not have lost an engine. This airplane has a VERY narrow flight envelope and if you stray outside that enevelope even for an instant----you may lose control and its takes lots of altitude to recover. If you are in the pattern when this happens, you probably will not have enough altitude to recover, just as happened to you and also on my two disasters and several others with indentical losses. I don't know what the answer is to this problem. I thought my first one may have been tail heavy----so on the second one----I made it VERY nose heavy, but that was not the answer. I believe it has something to do with wing incidence and engine incidence. Also maybe if washout was added to the wing tips, it may make a difference. It's too bad beacuse the airplane looks sensational in the air and I sure wish someone could come up with an answer as I would dearly love to build another one, but no way until then. My ASM P--61 is exactly the opposite. It flys beautifully, is very forgiving and looks and sounds great in the air. Engine out performance is nealy a non event unless just after lift off. I have ordered the new ASM B-26 Marauder and of course it is on backorder with a production date of early 2008. I can't wait to get my hands on this beauty. Again sorry for your loss----been there done that.
Jerry
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Adam:

Did you use 'Flaps' at any time..if so,how much?....you mention that sound of the beast changed...I suspect you probably did lose an engine..with 4 52's FS,that is alot of torque...anyway, must wait 4-5 months before I fly mine..winter is here and want alot of 'Stick Time" before my first attempt.....

Jerry;

Thats a ASM B-26 "Invader"...Should be a great flying plane...lets us know when you get it...do have the 'P-61"..it do fly good..no engine out flights so far...intend to fly it quite a bit this year...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 AM
adamjedgar

hi all,
I definately lost an engine...it makes little difference whether it stopped completely or just lost power. The swing effect from the two opposing engines, considering the enormous power my aircraft had (4 x 52's instead of 4x30's) in addition to much larger propellors, resulted in a very sudden and rapid flat spin at low altitude. As for airspeed, she was travelling about half throttle just prior to my increasing throttle to climb a little for a go round. It was only a few seconds after this that the trouble occurred.

realistically, the crash could have easily been avoided if i had of kept an eye on the timer. you cant run a 52 four stroke for 13 minutes at 2/3 to 3/4 throttle on only 190cc of fuel...especially on a maiden flight. For one, we make the assumption that 100% of each tank's 190cc capacity is usable in all 4 tanks. i had already had trouble with one of the tanks being only 2/3 usuable. i had to change the fuel line in the tank as it was too stiff for the size clunk i was using and wouldn't bend down to the bottom of the tank (and the new line i used wasn't all that much better i might add).

anyway, the crash was, as it most often the case, caused by pilot error.

I ;
1. flew to long,
2. a little to slow,
3. didnt react quickly enough especially considering the low alititued involved (i should have simply cut all four engines instantly, not just backed them off until i assessed which one/s were failing)
4. didnot mix both pairs of engines to the one radio throttle joystick (had trouble getting this to work properly when testing so i disabled the mix) therefore, i had two throttle joysticks you might say (and i cant remember which one i backed off first, something tells me it may have been the main joystick which unfortunately, the inners were paired up to!!!)

basically, inexperience on multiengine, especially 4 engine RC models was to blame. Let me say to those who havent experienced multi engine stuff, they are a piece of cake to fly...when all is functioning correctly, however, when something goes wrong...God help you if your low, slow, and overtime!!!

Actually, when i got home, i simulated an engine out on my RC flight simulator when flyhing the p38, and cessna 310 in a similar attitude and crashed virtually every time. When i simulated same event at a moderatly higher altitude, recovery was relatively easy and yet i still managed to crash almost half the time. Muti engine aircraft simply do not respond quickly to control input when compared with single stuff (and thats no suprise considering you have a heavy windmill sitting out on each wing. In the herc case, more than half the aircraft's weight is out there( ...and that aint gonna change direction in a hurry)

Cheers
Adam
Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 PM
jersue
My Feedback: (40)

Jimmy B.
Yeh-----I know it is an "Invader". Senior moment got me. Yes---I have over 35 flights on my ASM P-61 now and like it better every time I fly it. Got two flights on it yesterday. Here is an airborne picture from yesterday.
Jerry

Name:	Pn35597.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	846683  
Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

My Herk is fiberglas and was build in 03 before the arf came out. I fly with 4 saito .30's weight 21#+. I did a lot of experimenting with wing /stab incident to get my bird to fly right. I found that 2 degrees + incident of the with to the stab was critical to stable flying. There really is a very narrow flight envelope. The large fuselage and low power limits top speed and weight results in higher stall speeds.

For flaps after 40+ flights I found the following is extremely important.

Take off with 100% flaps.
Land with NO MORE THAN 50% flaps and use low power on final (not idle) and don't pull power until after you pull the nose up to flare.

CRITICAL... YOU MUST MIX AILERON TO RUDDER. I found 1" of rudder deflection to full aileron is about right. This helps when an engine fails. I have made 5 landings successful with engine out and always an outboard. I have solved the engine failure to fuel tank leakage.

If you lose an engine the plane will immediately turn to the dead engine. When you see an uncontrolled turn you must pull power and lower the nose then come on with full power and use aileron and rudder to force the plane to fly level. It will fly on 3 but if you allow it to turn you will NOT RECOVER.

Look for my post under c130 but not the arf and you will find much of the details. The herk is a good bird but it is complex and you must be skilled to fly successful. Always use a crew chief and spotter to fly this bird due to the multi engine and narrow flight range.

Best of luck. Jim
Old 01-10-2008, 03:24 AM
adamjedgar

Yeah what you say about the narrow flight envolope for your herc is the reason why i went for the larger engines. Mine accelerated from standing start to take off in barely 15m and it really climbed out like a fighter. I prefer to overpower my planes.
I didnt use any flap at all (on take off it really wasn't necessary), and had 40% rudder mix with alerons as suggested by asm.

Hey i love your black widow....shes a beauty. im actually moving on to scratch building a p38 lightning. Shes got a little under 2m wingspan. havent yet figured out what engines to run in it. Im going with a fibreglass fueselage and foam core wing. Anyone got any ideas on engine size???
Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Mr DJ

Posted price of Retracts a long time ago @ $150. Current Price $210 ($10 for packing/shipping)—can’t just give them away. Plane crashed after 3rd flight—maybe. Retracts never retracted during flight (no biggy) but worked and still works well. Look like they just came out the box……Under no pressure to sell—if I don’t, no biggy—may oneday venture into another one if I get bored with my turbines.

You’ll have to PM me, I’m no longer subscribed to this Thread.

Mr DJ
Old 09-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Well we test flew the C-130 a couple of weeks ago..take-offs and flights were excellent..landings were something else..was coming in 'Too Hot" to have a decent landing..The video of it is on here:
www.rcuvideos.com when you get the web site, click on "Playlists", then click on "Most viewed this week" then look for "Maiden Flight Of a Giant Scale C130".....had 2 flights on it...Have to add weight to the nose..too much down trim to make it fly level...no correction as far as left and right goes..have O.S. 40's- 4 strokes inboard, and Saito 30's -4 strokes out board..since then, have added brakes (Which this model needs), and will fly it again this coming week end, provided the weather is nice Forecast calling for rain....

Look at the video and enjoy...I sure did.....One thing I did notice...it has a high sink rate on landing.,.this could probably be because of coming in to hot...have to keep my eyeballs open on this ..Am a VERY HAPPY CAMPER............................

One more note here..Thanx to my helpers, John and Roger..If it wasn't for them,I would of been a nervous wreck..Many thanx to both of you...........................
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Jimmy Bananas

As for the video,you can go to www.youtube.com and type in the same 'Maiden Flight Of A Scale C130" and watch it...have installed 'Brakes" on it ..Will fly the C-130 again next week......................
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Jimmy Bananas

latest video of the flight of the ASM C-130 is on here..Go to RC Video and look for "Jimmy's Giant C130"....note nose gear just before take-off..landing a little too fast ,but made it down without any damage...going to clean the plane and engines up and salt it away until next year.... Season is coming to an end....Ole man winter is just around the corner....Time to start thinking of what to build this winter...Just hope the economic improves........
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 PM
testfly

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 101

ASM C-130 main gear retract doors made simple
http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com/c...30-slides.html

Have Fun!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
pitts s2b
My Feedback: (138)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some one should talk to Grage from G&L Hobbies and see if he would make up a glass fuse for it.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Jimmy Bananas

made my main gear doors like the instructions said....no problems so far.....another video on my latest flight....best flight so far...if you want to view it,go to RC Videos Radio Controlled Airplanes..... type in the search box " Jim's C130"..going to the Ames Mutli meet this week end...sounds like alot of fun....
Old 12-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Marvinf14

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[color=#000066][b][size=2]Hey just wanted to share this video with you guys,

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgFo85ILGp0]ASM C-130 CG Hercules Video [/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm2BqMaj9ZE]ASM C-130 CG Hercules Video[/link]
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Marvinf14

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK guys here we go, here's the video of the ASM C-130H AWACS, with the rotodome radar painted and finished, this model looks amazing on the ground & when is flying, what an amazing looking A/C and it flies gorgeous too. Enjoy the video guys and 2010 brings everyone happiness ciao guys

Heres the link:
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xLPm3Sx1U]Click Here for the Video of the ASM CG C-130H AWACS Video[/link]

Name:	Ay74374.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1344226  
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
greeter896

Has anyone out there put a rear cargo door on one of these C-130's? If so, can you share some details with pics?

Thanks,

Gary