Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ASM Lancaster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:06 AM
bokis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ASM Lancaster?

Mine took off today,no problems at all..The only thing i dont agree with is that it is self-stabilizing,when I turn and go back to center with the ailerons it goes back to level flight,I´m not used to this,the last one that behaved like this in my hangar was a Calmato trainer 6 years ago...
But I will propably get used to it!
Took a second flight an hour later,now with som mixing to the elevator/flap (elevator down when flaps are extended) and the landing was nice!
I like to have my aircrafts doing a little "nose down" when i use flaps,its a lot easier for me then to control the elevator when landing..
Now I can take it back inside and start doing the final jobs like getting spinners (three blade) and get the gear doors into place,it´s good to know that it flies well before doing this..

//Bokis
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: bokis

Mine took off today,no problems at all.

//Bokis
That's fantastic! I'd love to see some video!

SR
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear that all went well bokis We need to see the video, it may mean one more flight. SR thanks for the information on the weight iwill do a rough callulation of the volume required. I think it will work and the added strength will be enough to obtain a long life. When are they comming out your side of the world. Yours Paul T
Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

SR thanks for the information on the weight iwill do a rough callulation of the volume required. I think it will work and the added strength will be enough to obtain a long life. When are they comming out your side of the world. Yours Paul T
More to come on the foam tonight with another experiment.

As far as the plane arrival. Who knows? Soon I would guess.

I'm still interested in the planes otherwise I wouldn't post here. The WSM B-17 I picked up won't even ship for another two weeks. After that its going to take months to years to finish properly so here I am.

SR
Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
bokis

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

Great to hear that all went well bokis We need to see the video, it may mean one more flight. SR thanks for the information on the weight iwill do a rough callulation of the volume required. I think it will work and the added strength will be enough to obtain a long life. When are they comming out your side of the world. Yours Paul T
I had three flights today,our two horses(the only one at home ) refused to use my videocamera I´m afraid..
The weather here in Stockholm has been beautiful today,no wind,sunny and 15 C..
With any luck I might be able to get my wife to video it tomorrow,I´m actually looking forward to fly it again!
It was very nice just to fly around with,it looked majestic in the air and a 5 min flight used up 2500 MaH from the 5000 4S lipo..
I´m going to change props,from 12x8 to 12x6,when we meassured it up yesterday it took 30% more current with 12x8 and thrust is not an issue on this one..
I ended up using robart mechanism´s,works perfect but im still waiting for the legs,it looks a bit strange now with the wheels I have..

//Bokis
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think there's millions of Jews and thousands of sailors who would think the moral equivalency is a bit much to swallow in reference to the first couple of posts.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bokis,
It great to hear about your flights. Can you tell us you final weight? Do you feel you have plenty of power to spare? I had planed on a 60 size motors. so i would be a little over powered and besides i have them on hand. BTW what motor are you using...

Thanks Ty
Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
bokis

I´m not a electric man but the advice from Ivve Hallberg(the guy with the B17 on the video above) I bought the same setup to the Lanc,
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=2099 and speed controllers for those..
I dont know how much it weighs yet but it is light,thats for sure!
A guess would be 25 Lbs or somewhere around that.
The power is as far as i can tell more than enough,no aerobatics yet but i flies around on 50% throttle?
One thing I forgot to tell you,the rudder has little "response" (and in the air),taking off is with full right rudder,the tourqe is if not a problem,something to considder.
Two of my new props are contra rotating,this solved the problems with Ivves B17,the other way is in the manual:let the inner pair of engines rev up to full RPM before the outher...
And I´m going to mix the throttle with the rudder,I think this can be very useful in windy conditions..

// Bokis
Old 09-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Speedracer2112

I have two problems with the foam. First is expansion as Ty stated. Second, contraction while drying. I came home and found my paper tube colapsed about 2.5 cm. Not good for a thin walled fusalage. It would pull in the sides. Good part was the weight was minimal and it could support my entire body weight. Im off to pick up some real material to play with and make a 1/2" (2.5cm) core this time like Ty suggest.

Another option. Buy 1/2" sheet foam and lay it in with a thin layer of Gorrilla glue.

SR
Old 09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
cobi.p

i'm sorry to interrupt , but foam will give you nothing but extra weight .

if you want you can use CARBON STRIPE'S with DP-460 epoxy and do it as " X " between the form's .

just remember , extra weight in the tail you need X 4 times in the nose to balance .

cheers - cobi .
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
bokis

My wife took a video today,the mosquitos were extremly annoying here in Stockholm at the moment,desperate propably as the winter is coming.....
It had to be a short flight,they tried to eat us alive,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMBDD...=youtube_gdata
Everything in this aircraft is out of the box,no changes except the landinggears,and they are going to be shifted...

//Bokis
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Great video BOKIS!
here in Tx there is a town called Lake Jackson
And they have a MOSQUITO FESTIVAL !

-Tomas
VQ WARBIRDS
www.vqwarbirds.com
Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
bokis

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

Great video BOKIS!

-Tomas
VQ WARBIRDS
www.vqwarbirds.co
He,he....You wouldn´t believe the numbers we have here right now!
I think that this aircraft is one of the biggest surprises(positive!) I´ve had for quite a while,easy assembled and flies steady and with authority .
With the setup i use I can keep it in the air for 7-8 miutes "with reserves" and that is perfect for me..
If the weather stays dry like this for a couple of days i will fly this bird more and try it out in a little more windy conditions to se what happens..

//Bokis
Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM
fieseler156

hi bokis; i also have a keen interest in multi electrics working on my first twin electric setup would it be possible to post some details of the setup you are using
the lanc looks really great now all you need is a sound system with the merlins and that would be a awsome effect ,however still sounds good with the four electrics
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bokis That looks just fine, but my Jenny needs to know what type of horses you have. We have Welsh Cobs and our Golden Retrivers have Swedish lines as well. The last litter had a swedish sire (Dream Max Nordman). The lancaster looks so natural in the sky, I need to get a little more motivated. Yours Paul T
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
bokis

Swedish Halfbreed woth a lot of Thoroughbred and a friend of my wife horse as company,use them to keep the grass down and they are nice to look at..
If absolutely neccesary,You can actually ride on them as well
About the setup Fieseler,nothing fancy,just standard things from Hobbyking and a Futaba T12 to control them with..
I dont think I´m the right guy to answer electric questions,I´m a typical user,like when it works!
My "guideline" in RC: KISS....
..and if it works,why fix it?

//Bokis
Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 AM
ivves

Hello fellows.

About the setup in Bokis Lancaster.

My friend Bokis is using exactly the same setup as i have in my B-17.
Here is some more info for my B-17.
The only major difference is that my B-17 weights 17.5 Kg and the Lancaster about 13 Kg !!

Built from a laser cut short kit from http://www.cdscaledesigns.com/Englis...0Page%202.html

http://picasaweb.google.se/ivvesrc/ProjektB17#

Scale is 1/10 and wingspan 3,2m. / 125 inch.
Flying weight 17.5 Kg. / 38.5 lb

4 x Turnigy 4250/700kv brushless motors giving 120 watts/Kg.
4 x 4s Rihno cells.
Propellers- Master airscrew three blade 13/8. two left and two right rot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16utTnd2UfU
Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: Speedracer2112

Another option. Buy 1/2'' sheet foam and lay it in with a thin layer of Gorrilla glue.

SR
So this weekend our club had a large fly in. It was all 3D flying. I got to see alot of planes I havent seen before including a ASM C130. Boy was she ugly! Built but never flown and had 4 SuperTiger .35 Two strokes on her. One of my buddies bought her for $400 but after he took her home and took a look around said he was going to trade her out at a near future swap meet. Re: Not a keeper.

While I was looking around something caught my eye. Take a look. This seems much cleaner and is very well proven and VERY strong. Once again, almost no weight added!! The plane is a MONSTER. Her wingspan is about 12-14 feet. Thats the same circle as my TF B-25 is sitting in for scale.

SR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28176.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1511477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16030.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1511478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96257.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1511479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy72051.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1511480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33616.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1511481  
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

Great video BOKIS!

-Tomas
VQ WARBIRDS
www.vqwarbirds.com

Thomas!!! You big slacker. No post to say they are in stock? THEY FINALLY MADE IT per HPeeps website!!

Somebody PLEASE BUY ONE!!! OR TWO!!! I need/want some photos and feedback.

SR
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

SPEEDRACER2112,

YES they are "HERE" as of today officially... but not ready to ship...
Tomorrow is thursday...so once sorted, etc....
they will commence shipping next week...

Just give in and order one of each...one B-17
http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...08001a398c611a

and one LANCASTER....
http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...08001a398c611a

you know you want one....it's ok... we are all here for you !!! It's called a support group !

-CHEERS!

TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
"KEEP 'EM FLYING"
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
bokis

I am still "surprised" why anyone would like to put extra foam inside it. To compare it with a aircraft that has no scale details at all and covered with oracover,I cant imagine why?
If my Lanc looked anywhere close to the example above i wouldnt touch it with a 10 feet pole..
I want the rivets,panelines etc,it makes it look so good!
It´s all about compromising,light,scale looking,easy to produce and with good handling..Thats not an easy task in my book..
I´m impressed what they have managed to do,the other option is to build it from schratch like my friend Ivve has done,it takes a lot of skill and hours and is something I cannot do in my dreams,it´s way above my skills!
If someone feel that they have to reinforce it,read cobi`s post,that would be a better way to go,fill the rear of the aircraft with heavy material is asking for trouble,1 lbs back there will mean an extra 4 lbs in the nose..
I have 6 flights with it now and it has gone back in the workshop for the final things to add,geardoors and a soundsystem..
It flies really well as I said earlier,I am positively surprised( five stars!) and I have ordered the B17 now as well but i´m considdering putting four saito 62 in that one,the B17 is easier to handle I think with a engine out than the Lanc,a large tail helps..

//Bokis
Old 10-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Speedracer2112

ORIGINAL: bokis

fill the rear of the aircraft with heavy material is asking for trouble,1 lbs back there will mean an extra 4 lbs in the nose..

//Bokis

Foam must be heavier in Sweden? I'm confused. [&:] It must be an Earth gravitational effect or your useing lead instead of air in your foam.

I appreciate the warning and will heed your words in the future.

So your not going to fill in all of the panel lines and grind off the rivits and cover your plane with Monocoat? Cool. It would look great painted pink!

Seems Graves RC in Orlando has a Lancaster and a B-17 in route. Due in next week. Looks like I'll get to see these puppies first hand.

SR

Old 10-10-2010, 03:35 AM
zob007

Hi Bokis,

Congratulations for your lancaster. This electric setup looks really well, and it flies beautifully! I had a question how many AMPS do you get with these motors 4250/700 and 4S lipos and MAS 13X8X3 Props? And also wich diameter do you use for long motor cables (12 AWG?) and have you used some condensors?. I am asking this because I am actually building the Toni Nijuhuis Handley Page Halifax wich is 1/12 scale (so a little bit smaller) and I am thinking using the same setup, maybe 4250/600 could be enough actually as the plane should get 12 Kg maximum.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:06 PM
bokis

Hi! Ivve:s B17 has these props but the blades are about 1 cm shorter after modifikation
Mine is tested with JXF (close to APC) non electric props and 12x8 twoblade(thats the one on the video) close to 40 Amps and 12x6 twoblade 26 Amps.
It is going to to have the same props as Ivves,he has prepared 4 MAS threeblade for me but I have just ordered spinners for this and it´s going to take a while before they get here..
These are the cables I use: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9679
20 m of it actually.. 14 AWG it seems..
I think you mean capacitors and no,i dont use them here..
The main thing is,have i learned ,is to have very short cables between LiPo:s and Speedcontrollers and mine are placed up front so there is a lot of cable inside..
I went out today to try it in windy conditions and it behaved quite well,sorry that the takeoff isn´nt in the video but it shows how it flies in gusty winds anyway..
And I finally weighed it,14.2 kg/ 31 Lbs ready to fly..The lipos weighs 2.2 kgs and I needed the weight up front ,it balanced perfectly with these
inside..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9hyCPWB-w

//Bokis
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Speedracer2112

Well she's in. My LHS called. I'm off to take a look. Photos soon.

SR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.