Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Shrike flight report

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:32 PM
dutch Jan Hermkens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shrike flight report

ORIGINAL: William Robison

Leo:

Good looking airplane.

No tip stall tendency? That 6.5 degree washout does wonders, doesn't it?

When you say NACA 23012/23015 airfoils I assume you mean 23012 at the root and 23015 at the tip? That would help also.

Bill.
hi Bill,

should it be the opposite: at the root 23015 and 23012 at the tip, because I cannot believe that the wing will be thicker at the tip than at the root!

regards,
Jan.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

jJan:

You're right. The 15% should be the root. Sorry.

Bill.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Leo

Now I´m confused. Here´s how the airfoils looks like in the plans:
The root airfoil thickness is 12%, tip 15%
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88230.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	464153  
Old 07-22-2006, 06:52 AM
japan3d

I am thinking of starting the build on my great planes Shrike. I am goinng to use 2 YS .45s for power. I was thinking of placing the fuel tanks in the fuselage on the CG. Anybody tried this? I know it will take a bit of spinning of the prop to get the fuel to the engine. Maybe use one 24oz tank to both engines.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:14 PM
avionics

Hi Guys, I want to build a Aero Commander 500 S twin engine using palmerpaln. it recommends to use Saito FA-91 engine and one of them to be used "Counter Rotating". Does anyone know if the engine needs to be factory ordered for turning anti Clock Wise? or any one can.

Please let me know if you know how?

Cheers

Reza
Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
William Robison

Reza:

If you start with a factory new FA-91 engine it's a simple matter to replace the cam shaft and get the counter rotation. If the engine has some time on it the tappets and valve springs should also be replaced.

In any event, reversing a Saito single is trivial. I've done several.

Something you might consider, if the plane is big enough to use the FA-120 engines they are even simpler to reverse, and you end up with symmetric engines - both cylinders can be on the inside of the nacelles (pointing toward the fuselage) and still have the exhaust coming out the bottom. The FA-120 is the only one of the Saito singles that will allow this.

Bill.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 PM
avionics

Bill

Much appreciate your advice. I will be using brand new engines. and will look in to the dimensions for the 120 and if space permits i will take your advice and will go for them.
Thank you once again and kind regards

Reza
Old 07-30-2006, 11:10 PM
William Robison

Reza:

Sorry, I neglected to post the part number for the reverse cam that fits the FA-91. It is SAI182TD34 from Horizon, I would suppose the same part number would be used by the UAE supplier, but I don’t know. With it installed and timed all the other adjustments are the same, the engine just runs backwards. No other modification required.

Using the FA-120 all you have to do is switch the exhaust and intake pipes side to side, drill two holes in the carb mounting flange to get it sitting straight again. No parts needed at all. Just a couple minutes and two holes.

Bill.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 AM
avionics

Thanks I think i'll go FA-120 that sounds a more reasonable choice.

Cheers

Reza
Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 AM
avionics

Bill

Now what will happen to my Prop can i find Right pitched prop (For Clock wise rotation)?

Reza
Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 AM
William Robison

Reza:

You have hit on the biggest problem with counter rotating engines. There is a much better selection of props for normal rotation than reverse, but if you know where to go the right props can be had.

The Aero Commander wants three blade props for scale, I’m a fan of three blade props, and my FA-120 engines like the Zinger 14x8 three blade wooden props. These props use a metal hub, and a damaged blade can be replaced. Not terribly expensive, but they do cost more than the MAS and APC props. One left, one right, and a spare blade set for each will run about $100US.

Props here:
http://www.zingerpropeller.com/3_bladed_Propeller.htm

Spare blades here:
http://www.zingerpropeller.com/X3&4.htm

Prices are listed with the items.

Bill.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:12 AM
avionics

Bill:

Execellent stuff, Thanks for the link I checked. Now what does "Tractor" and Pusher means ?. Do they refer to the Ordinary and clock wise prop?

Cheers
Reza
Old 07-31-2006, 08:29 AM
William Robison

Reza:

“Tractor†means the prop, mounted on a normal rotation engine with the prop at the front of the plane will pull – it is loaded in traction. In other words, yes, a “Tractor†prop has the blades pitched for everybody’s normal engine in a normal mounting.

A “Pusher†prop has the blades pitched opposite to the tractor prop, and when mounted on an engine turning in normal rotation will push toward the engine instead of pulling away from it. At the same time, a “Pusher†prop mounted on an engine with reversed rotation becomes a tractor prop, it is just turning the “Wrong†way.

In other words, you need one tractor and one pusher for counter rotating engines.

Bill.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 AM
avionics

Bill:

Much Appreciate it . In fact after i posted you got to the main page and they explained it.
Thanks for your help and kind regards

Reza
Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this plane available in kit form any longer.

I had bought it back in 1980 made of foam wings covered with balsa skin and a fiberglass body but never assembled it. It was huge. I think it took two OS 40's  Not sure who the manufacturer was then.

I would like to build one this time.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
avionics

ORIGINAL: rafeeki

Is this plane available in kit form any longer.

I had bought it back in 1980 made of foam wings covered with balsa skin and a fiberglass body but never assembled it. It was huge. I think it took two OS 40's Not sure who the manufacturer was then.

I would like to build one this time.
Yes it is available from http://www.precisioncutkits.com/shrike.htm

good luck

Reza
Old 01-23-2010, 03:56 AM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

Rafeeki,

The model you are referring to is a Shrike, but not the one that Leo built. The one you are talking about was made by Bridi, and Great Planes. I just sold one a couple of months ago. They are no longer in production anymore, but you can occasionally find one here in the market place, or on Ebay. The aircraft that Leo built is a Dan Palmer designed airplane that is much more scale than the Bridi/Great Planes, but much more complex to build. I am currently building one that I have converted into a Turbo Commander. I have quite a few build pictures on my thread if you want to take a look and see if you want to tackle it. It is a fun airplane to build. Here is my build thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7809490/tm.htm

Jeff
Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leo:
A couple of questions for you as I am finishing up a GST Shrike and am going electric with it.

Did you actually meter your motors and confirmed 800 watts per side for a total of 1600 watts? The reason I ask is because at 28lbs, 1600 watts would calculate to 57.14 watts per pounds. Yikes, not much. ( I guessed at your total weight but should be close)

I have always used this formula:
50 - 70 watts per pound - minimum requirements usually good for park flyers and light wing loaded planes
70 - 90 watts per pound - basic sport flying
90 - 100 watts per pound - scale models and light aerobatics
110 - 130 watts per pound - advanced aerobatics

Rich Ultravich is flying a 51lb Bronco on 129.4 watts per pound and is quite happy with it so I was basing my system on his and
shooting for the 110 to 130 watts range. But after reading your information, maybe I should scale it down for weight savings as I don't need to hover it.

Question #2
I have 6 degrees of washout in my wing. I am about ready to install the stabilizer on the fuselage. My last Shrike flew with up trim and ,like yours, scraped the tail on take off. So, I was thinking about putting 1 degree of negative incidence in the stab. Then here you come with .75 degree positive? What would be your recommendation here?

Paul
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Leo

Hi Paul,

Yes, I measured 37 amps static at 22 volts for one motor = 814 watts. I read somewhere that the power requirement for a twin is only 2/3 of a single engine plane because of a more effective propeller stream over the wings

1600W is enough power for flying the Palmer Shrike from a paved runway. The drop to 22 volts in the 7s packs reveals poor battery performance though.
As a comparison, here´s a guy flying a 132" DH Rapide using an identical setup with a decent set of LiPos. Flying weight is 28,5 lbs. Airfoil is NACA 2412.
[link=http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?page=winner010807]DH-88 Rapide[/link]
The stated current draw is 42 amps. If each cell voltage is 3,7 volts under load, the total input power is 42x3,7x7x2 = 2175 watts = 76,3 W/lb.

Your thought about 1deg. of negative incidence sounds like a good idea. I´m not sure whether I got the stab incidence right on my Shrike. Not an easy task when using a twisted wing for reference..

Leo
Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Reza:

If you start with a factory new FA-91 engine it's a simple matter to replace the cam shaft and get the counter rotation. If the engine has some time on it the tappets and valve springs should also be replaced.

Something you might consider, if the plane is big enough to use the FA-120 engines they are even simpler to reverse, and you end up with symmetric engines - both cylinders can be on the inside of the nacelles (pointing toward the fuselage) and still have the exhaust coming out the bottom. The FA-120 is the only one of the Saito singles that will allow this.

Bill.
Can the Saito 100 be reversed as easily, and where are you getting the cam shafts? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Reza:

Bill.
Can the Saito 100 be reversed as easily, and where are you getting the cam shafts? Thanks.
Sorry, I read a later post where you explain this. Easy to just contact Horizon.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:36 AM
jetfixr

Leo,

Did you mount your stab at .75 degrees positive incidence in reference to the wing incidence, or the fuselage waterline? I haven't studied that part of the plans in depth yet, but I would like to find out how you did it. I am almost ready to begin working on my tail section and will hopefully be mounting my stabs soon. Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Leo

Jeff, I mounted the stab 0,75 deg. positive incidence in reference to the fuselage center line. Sorry for the being unclear in my previous post.

Paul, At a second thought, I think 1 deg. negative incidence of the stab might be to much. My Robart incidence meter says the stab is close to 0 deg when the up trim is included
The trim is visible in the image below. (around 3/16" at trailing edge)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51302.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1369653  
Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
didiwatt
My Feedback: (38)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leo:
I planned on using a Robart incidence meter on the wing center section which would not have any wash out close to the fuselage. With this at 0 degree's I will put just a little negative incidence. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 degree. Sound about right to you? Thanks for your input.
Paul
Old 02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
jetfixr

The wing center section is not at 0. It is actually at 3.5 I believe. I have been using my Robart incidence meter a lot in my build and it is a life saver! So Leo, do you think 0 degrees on the tail would be better? It doesn't look like you have to use much trim. Also are your trim tabs separate pieces, or have you just cut the edges and made it look like it? They look great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.