Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

WH Edge Hardware Kit question

Old 04-29-2004, 01:12 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WH Edge Hardware Kit question

Did any of you buy the Hardware Kit/Pkg for the Wildhare Edge? If so, what did you do about the supplied Dubro HD Control Horns that come in the kit?

The manual says that if you use these supplied horns (which are too LONG), you have to drill new holes to move them back and get the linkage to line up with the hinge point. First of all, if this is the WH supplied hardware kit, why in the heck don't they line up with the holes pre-drilled in the ARF? [:'(]

Second of all, you can't drill new holes further back, since the hardpoint block doesn't go back that far. I'd have to strip the rudder covering and build more wood into the rudder, hoping to make it blend in smooth after recovering! [:@]

It just seems to me if you're going to sell a hardware kit for your own plane, you'd either sell a kit that fit the ARF as is, or build the ARF so that it worked with the Dubro hardware you're supplying. I for one do NOT want to strip covering, add more weight in the rudder and have to recover.

Nor do I feel that it's fair to expect me to go out and buy something different that DOES fit properly, after paying $75 for a kit that was supposed to do the job. Am I missing something here? I apologize to Tom if I'm missing something, but I don't think I am.

The kit also comes with short Nelson horns, but they are too SHORT. I take it those are for the ailerons and elevators, which I haven't even looked at yet... hope THEY line up. [X(]

Neo
Old 04-29-2004, 01:56 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: WH Edge Hardware Kit problems

I used the HD horns, DID NOT MOVE BACK AND REDRILL HOLES IN elevators and ailerons. Place bolt in hole provided, then measure to to hinge line and drill new holes in the horns, grind off excess horn and you got it. No big problem.
I know of no GIANT ARF thet is supplies with bolt-on, no work, no thinking, hardware. I have built three (3)Wild Hare planes using the supplied hardware and have not encountered any problems.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
askewzero
My Feedback: (5)

The supplied hardware kit is off the shelf supplies packaged up so you won't have to go looking for all the hardware as you discover what you need.

as for the rudder pull/pull arms being too long, the metal screw is NOT the part you move back. You still put the screw throught the hard point, but you drill holes in the two black control arms in line with the hinge point. then trim away the excess control horn with a dremel or such.

The Nelson arms are for aileron and elevator.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16606.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	127536  
Old 04-29-2004, 02:03 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto Wayne. I actually think dubro made them that way on purpose so you can adjust them to fit most anything. Takes about 10 minutes. [PS: WH is not talking about re-drilling the control surface hole. They are talking about drilling a new hole in the plastic arm] As to the Nelson horns on ailerons and elevator - lining up with the hinge line is no issue at all unless you are using some ancient, noncomputer radio. Just adjust your end point travel. Take a deep breath Neo, it will be ok.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:15 PM
H. Wayne S

See NEO, you have no problems, you just needed clarification and guidance.

PS. It's a good practice to ask and investigate before striking matches to burn someone or something.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:14 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If NEO had called me I could have cleared this up in about 30 seconds.

I do not understand why people would rather go to a public forum like this before asking the vendor for a clarification.

But some do. Go figure.

TF
Old 04-29-2004, 04:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you'll find that the experience level of the purchaser has a lot to do with the original post here.

Moving up to large scale and gas aircraft requires that the builder/operator has a solid and basic understanding of the building techniques and flight principles involved with larger aircraft. Someone who may have most, or all, of there experience with smaller glow powered aircraft will usually have some trouble comprehending some of the products and their uses in larger aircraft. The methods of assembly and the equipment used require more attention to detail that smaller aircraft.

In any case, I agree that Wild Hare should have been contacted first, and privately. It would have saved the author of the post quite a bit of embarrasement.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:50 PM
NE0

Sorry for the misunderstanding Tom... I apologize. I read the manual a number of times and that's just not the way it read to me. Maybe if the photo in the manual wasn't so blurry or "zoomed in" on the horn, I might have been able to see what was going on?

I go to a public forum because that's the value of RCU to me. When I have a question, I post it and get not one, but often a number of solutions very quickly. Often time the solutions brought here on RCU are better, cheaper or easier than those given by the manufacturer.

Most vendors I have dealt with in the past are anywhere from difficult to impossible to get ahold of, so I don't even go that route any more. You obviously are an exception to that rule. Kudos to you. Sorry for any negative connotations in my response, but not sorry for going to RCU for help. That's what it's here for in my opinion. Again, sorry if I've offended you.

Tom
Old 04-29-2004, 08:06 PM
H. Wayne S

Hay, NEO, your 100% right. That is what RCU is for.
It's just that the way we present something that is questionable. Lighten up. Get all the facts, ask for advise, then if you have been wronged or violated I will guarantee you will get all the support you can handel with burning someone or something down to the ground. If you don't believe that, do a search on Northeast Sailplane Products. As stated, I have built three (3) Wild Hare planes, Just finished my 2nd Edge 540 Sunday. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.
SMILE ! It makes people wonder what your up to.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:46 PM
NE0

I think you'll find that the experience level of the purchaser has a lot to do with the original post here.

Moving up to large scale and gas aircraft requires that the builder/operator has a solid and basic understanding of the building techniques and flight principles involved with larger aircraft. Someone who may have most, or all, of there experience with smaller glow powered aircraft will usually have some trouble comprehending some of the products and their uses in larger aircraft. The methods of assembly and the equipment used require more attention to detail that smaller aircraft.
You're right on SilverSurfer... that's me. This is my first giant scale ARF, and the hardware is quite new to me.

Hay, NEO, your 100% right. That is what RCU is for.
It's just that the way we present something that is questionable. Lighten up.
H.Wayne... point well taken. I guess I was having a bad day and was getting frustrated. Sorry to everyone for getting prematurely shook up. I'll try to breathe deep and count to 10 next time before I post.

Hardware is the one thing about this Hobby that I dislike the most. I like gluing wood, painting, detailing and of course, flying... but the mechanical stuff drives me crazy. I have the patience to lay down 10,000 rivets on a scale warbird, but zero patience for figuring out the mechanical part []..... just not my comfort zone
Old 04-30-2004, 06:58 AM
H. Wayne S

NEO, I'm right there with you, I HATE the hardware part also. But we gota have it to fly.
Glad to have you join the "Big Bird" club.

Topping the list of the 10 things a RC pilot don't want to hear:
" Are those your fingers on the ground".
Old 04-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neo,

If you are new to giant scale, there are many who will be willing to help you if you ask. I am one of them, and with a little humble pie, Tom probably would as well.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have questions about set ups and flying styles. Some up front advice is to not fly this plane the same way you would a smaller fun fly plane. You will need to take the time to learn how larger planes stall, and how to properly recover from them in ALL flight attitudes. The throttle will often not be enough by itself to save the day.

Use the low rate control throws noted in the manual. They are VERY effective for normal flight and quite effective for a lot of radical flight. Do not use high rate aileron throws for high speed flight.

Bear in mind that large, light aircraft are not designed to suffer physical impacts and survive well. They are built to fly, not crash. Remember that if you want to do a bunch of harrier landings and tail wheel bumps. I've seen many a large scale plane snap in half right in front of the rudder or just behind the wing. By ANY manufacturer.

Best of luck and enjoy,
silversurfer
Old 04-30-2004, 08:33 AM
NE0

Thanks guys, great advice. Don't worry, I wont' be flying this puppy fast, radical or low for a long time! I can't wait to get it up in the air, but I'm in no hurry to break out the trash bags. This plane will be my every day work horse flyer this summer, so I'm gonna take good care of her!

Thanks again for your help!!!!

Tom
Old 04-30-2004, 08:43 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to a public forum because that's the value of RCU to me. When I have a question, I post it and get not one, but often a number of solutions very quickly. Often time the solutions brought here on RCU are better, cheaper or easier than those given by the manufacturer.
Just remember that answers you get here could be coming from almost anybody, you don't know who is answering. Erroneous answers are (not so much here but in the general forums) are rampant, ask a question and get 10 different answers, most of which are wrong.

And if you get bad advice from someone on the internet will they stand behind their mistake?

Part of the money you give to a vendor should be prepayment for support, you should use it.

TF
Old 04-30-2004, 01:33 PM
NE0

Part of the money you give to a vendor should be prepayment for support, you should use it.
Thanks Tom, I'll do that in the future (with you). I've tried it in the past MANY times with other RC vendors and had no luck. I've even sent dozens of voice and email messages to some vendors with no response in months, but the instant I post a message on RCU, that same vendor is RIGHT THERE immediately doing damage control. Funny how that works.

Your approach to service and customer support is very rare in this industry, not the norm based on my personal experiences. I applaud your outstanding support ethics and will keep that in mind in the future and come to you first.

As for bad advice from the internet... sure, you can get bad advice anywhere. However, I don't act on the opinion of any one person alone. When I see dozens of guys doing something the same way, with years of success, then I think it's safe to say it works, whether the manufacturer suggests it or not. Nobody knows it all... not even the manufacturers. I like to get different opinions from a lot of people... that's how you learn.

I'm very careful about who I listen to and what I take seriously... But, if I can't listen to what guys on the internet say, I guess RCU is a waste of time? I don't think so. It was these guys on the internet that made it possible for me to win Best of Show in Toledo this year with my FIRST scale plane. There's NO WAY that I could have done that without TONS of advice... from the internet... not from manufacturers.

Bottom line is that this all started not from what I asked in my original post... but from "how" I presented the issue. That was my mistake, and I have already apologized for it. However, I stand behind my position that your "style" of supporting your customers is not the norm, and that there is nothing wrong with using RCU as a means of finding answers and alternatives.

Tom
Old 05-02-2004, 01:28 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

And if you get bad advice from someone on the internet will they stand behind their mistake?

TF
AMEN
Old 05-04-2004, 02:34 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Very good, one of the things that makes Wild Hare shine is not just the quality and cost of their planes, but the great lengths Tom F. will go to, to make sure his customers are satisfied. This is the way I would like to see all the other vendors act and take an example from. I've gotten no response at all from some vendors I've bought from in the past. I asked Tom a simple question in email and got a reply back within a few hours! And it was the right reply too. That to me is worth it's weight in gold. I will buy another plane from Wild Hare in the future because of the out standing customer satisfaction. In this day and age, it's very refreshing to find a vendor that's honest.
-JAE
Old 05-04-2004, 03:39 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: rcpilotjae-RCU

Very good, one of the things that makes Wild Hare shine is not just the quality and cost of their planes, but the great lengths Tom F. will go to, to make sure his customers are satisfied. This is the way I would like to see all the other vendors act and take an example from. I've gotten no response at all from some vendors I've bought from in the past. I asked Tom a simple question in email and got a reply back within a few hours! And it was the right reply too. That to me is worth it's weight in gold. I will buy another plane from Wild Hare in the future because of the out standing customer satisfaction. In this day and age, it's very refreshing to find a vendor that's honest.
-JAE
Amen to that also.