Community
Search
Notices
CEN Racing This forum is to discuss all CEN Racing products.

new os cvr .18

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new os cvr .18

already scraped the head... get the battle scars out of the way early....I stuck to the slow break in about ten tanks leaning slowly.... glad I did it that way.. engine wants to run after 3rd or 4th tank.... Just for the record, I use and love my venom failsafe... has never let me down and saved my butt on more than one occasion...
I don't have a roll bar but probably should considering how easy the truck flips... maybe later
Old 06-10-2005, 01:43 PM
poor judgement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im kinda glad i got the silver head on mine, not as pretty, but hides the damage better! poor thing has had a right beating!

has anyone else tried the os18 in a cen rally? quite bloody funny in those...
Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
cougartech67

Hi Guys. Well, I got the OS .18 Engine broken in. It runs great. I was running my other CEN MT2, the one that has the NT-16 engine. I managed to burn out my main spur gear. Well its time to visit the online RC parts store and buy some replacement gears. Funny thing, the gear that wore down was the main 47 toothed gear and it was only worn down on one side, like approx, 10 to 15 of the teeth were worn down flush with the gear and the remaining teeth fine. Is this how the gear brakes down normally? I was really giving the MT2 full throttle and running it fast on a long straight away. I must have put too much stress on the plastic red gears. Does anyone know where I could find some better replacement spur gears? Do they make metal or aluminum upgrades?? My CEN MT2 with the Epic .18 engine seems to have metal spur gears, but, I bought the MT2 that way, so I have no idea where they came from. Thanks to all...[8D]
Old 06-13-2005, 12:50 AM
rolland

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your engine wasn't square with the spur gears. You can use the straight edge of a piece of paper or a business card to line up the engine with the spurs. This is just as critical as setting the mesh and should be done before setting the mesh. If the engine isn't square with the gears you aren't going to get the proper mesh.

rolland
Old 06-13-2005, 01:58 PM
cenracer1

it just burned up the gear.. I did the same thing with mine.. the engine has alot more torque and it stripps the gear away.. the reason it only took out 10 to 15 teeth is because the clutch bell melted/stripped the gear there and slipped after that... You have to be critical of mesh with this engine or you will be spending alot on gears...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 PM
cougartech67

Thanks Guys. Yep, the NT-16 engine was not lined up with the spur gears correctly. On the 47 tooth gear that I stripped, actually the back later still has teeth all around, just 99% of the remaing space, has about 10 to 15 teeth worn down, just like you guys said. The MT2 that melted the gears was my other vehicle, the one with the factory engine installed. I just finished totally taking it apart, cleaning it, and finished rebuilding it this afternoon. Still waiting for my replacement gears from the RC Models website. My other MT2 with the OS 18 engine is looking great. I made sure the gears and mesh properly, they already did. I just installed the Roll Bar from New Era. I will include a photo. Hey, back to my other question, does anyone know if they make replacement spur gears for the MT2 in metal or aluminum? I would definitely want to invest in a better set of gears. Thanks again...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78207.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	284732  
Old 06-14-2005, 01:32 AM
poor judgement

the genesis steel spurs can work in a fun factor - have a look for a thread about that on this forum.

hope that helps

ah - its here, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2946687/tm.htm]click me[/link]
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
cougartech67

Thanks Poor Judgement. I will definitely invest in a set of those gears. I did read the post a few times, the one you gave me a link to. Its still a little bit confusing to me. Can you tell me which gears I am looking for? The number of teeth in the Genesis replacement metal spur gears are not the same, right? Or am I just looking for a 44T and 47T metal spur gear replacements for the Genesis, but using them on my MT2. Any other items or parts needed? Thanks Again... [8D]
Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
poor judgement

sorry man, i was in a rush this morning when i posted that link...

i have fitted the funfactor optional 2 speed alloy hubs - both for 1st and 2nd gear, and they will fit the genesis 43 and 39 tooth gears. I am using the stock pinions at the mo -11 and 14t, although 2nd really needs to be a 15t - otherwise it strips the 14t pinion pretty easily.

i have the 15t on order - still... i have here what cen call the 2 speed 15t... but its identical to the single speed 15t, and wont fit the 2nd gear thread on the clutch - its the 15t for the assist clutch that i have ordered now, i hope that works... cen didnt reply to my post im afraid.

now i was concerned that the gears would be too high a ratio for my truck, especially with tmaxx wheels on, extra tranny weight etc. but i am pleased to say that with the os18, 25% nitro and an os pipe i just get away with it - 2nd isnt really needed now. it will still pull the frontwheels up, but only a little, bare in mind mine are heavier than stock wheels tho... i guess it gives a similar ratio to a 47t spur and a 13t pinion that the cen team used on their race mts, which is food for thought i reckon.

sorry im shaky on the 2nd gear pinion, i got the 14t to work 3 times before i stripped it - its like a warp speed effect.... scary, but addictive!

hope that kinda helps mate
Old 06-14-2005, 02:17 PM
cougartech67

Thanks for the detailed info. I do understand most of what you said. Sounds like you have invested some real time into that project. What Im actually looking for is to just replace my spur gears with some better one's. From what you wrote, your saying that the replacement genesis metal first gear works, with the 15t pinion, but the second spur gear will not work, is this right? Sorry, much of what you said is still a little bit over my head. Im still learning when it comes to upgrading and modifying. I would like to purchase 2 replacement gears without any other modification needed, can this be done? I did see from your original post/link that you showed a photo of a kit, that seemed to have everything needed for the G88302. On the RC Models website, this complete kit costs $79 dollars. If I buy this kit, would it work, without modification, on my MT2? Is this the option that you were originally talking about in the forum? Thanks mate for putting up with my repeated questions regarding this topic. The way my mind works, it just takes me a few extra rounds before I totally grasp the concept of what were talking about. Thanks Again.....
Old 06-14-2005, 03:16 PM
cenracer1

cougartech67 I'm in the same boat your in... I am waiting on the gen spur gears because I'm not sure how they will work.. I don't have any real problems with the gears stripping too easily unless I do something stupid or the engine gets loose effecting the mesh... I looked at the Genesis gears and they should fit( i think) but im concerned about the clutch bell.. Its soft metal and wears pretty quickly with the nylon gears.. I certainly don't want or need any more speed out of the truck..
Old 06-14-2005, 04:04 PM
cougartech67

CenRacer1, did you order a set of the GENESIS gears? or were you waiting like me, to get more info, before ordering them. When I go home tonight, I will check my other MT2 again, the one that has the EPIC .18 engine in it. When I bought that MT2, it already has METAL spur gears on it. I am pretty sure that the gears are metal, because I remember noticing how sharp they were when I was making some adjustments during that time. I will see if I can contact the guy that I bought this vehicle from and get all the info on where to purchase these Metal Gears. I will keep ya posted to what info I find out. Or let you know if I was mistaken and the gears are actually the factory installed Nylon gears. So glad that Im not alone in the confusion of how this project works. If anyone out there knows the answer, or could tell us, step by step, what parts we need to Beef Up our Spur Gears on the MT2, CenRacer1 and I would be most grateful to know the answers. Thanks again to all... [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 06-14-2005, 06:12 PM
poor judgement

[link=http://www.cenracing.com/cars/genesis/parts/gs087.jpg]gs087[/link]
[link=http://www.cenracing.com/cars/genesis/parts/gs088.jpg]gs088[/link]

and g84302-02, g84302-04 and g84303-08 shown respectively at the bottom of the page...

those are all the parts you will need. use the part numbers to find a supplier near u, if u want to try em.

simply swap the standard 14 tooth pinion for the 15 tooth, and swap out the standard gears for the genesis spurs and funfactor alloy hubs

u do not need the entire 2 speed kit, just the hubs and the genesis steel spurs.

hope that makes sense

Name:	Rp43723.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	285028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24436.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	285029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59482.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	285030  
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 PM
cenracer1

poor judgement.. I'm not sure how this will work... I have a two speed clutch bell, i'm not sure of the tooth count however.. I just picked up a few more nylon spur gears for the mt2 but all the t43 now seem to be t44.. or at least that is what cen sent him... a little longer first gear is not the end of the world... I thought that the genesis gears were a direct fit, oh well... i still may try this and see how it works out... by the way, how is the wear with the metal gears on the clutch bell... that is my only hesitation about this whole thing... that and I don't understand the picture... let me know...eventually this thing will be bullet proof
Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 PM
cougartech67

Thanks again for the reply back guys. I understand what poor judgement is saying. If you have the standard 2 speed pinion gears like me, then your clutch bell will be the 11tooth / 14tooth pinions. Your nylon spur gears will be 44T and 47T respectively. He was saying originally that the 11tooth pinion will line up properly with one of the Genesis metal spur gears but we need the 15tooth other clutch bell gear, so that the other genesis spur gear will work properly. I forget which gears are considered 1st and 2nd gears, but you get what im saying. Now that I have the part numbers needed from Poor Judgement, I will be ordering a set. So if ya want CenRacer, give me a week or so and I will definitely let you know how it works out. After reading his latest reply, now I understand what he was saying in the previous responses. As I told you guys, it does take me a few rounds to get it. I will order the parts tonight. Thanks Poor Judgement. You came through with the answer again. You CenRacer seem to be providing me with most of my CEN answers. Where are you guys located? Im in Los Angeles, California. Just curious. THanks Again. [sm=cool.gif]
Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 PM
cougartech67

Hey Poor Judgement. I just priced out the parts I would need at RC Models website. Its gonna cost me about $75 dollars for the gears and hubs. [X(] I should just buy the entire 2speed kit for $79 dollars. I might as well. Anyplace you know where these parts are a little bit cheaper? Thanks, CougarTech67...
Old 06-15-2005, 01:21 AM
poor judgement

http://censpares.com/ try emailing these guys if u cant find the parts on the site - they get a new cen delivery every week.

hope that helps
Old 06-15-2005, 02:25 AM
cougartech67

No. CenSpares wanted $92 dollars for the same parts needed. Their complete 2speed kit is $95 dollars, so at this time, RC Models seems to be the cheapest. No worries though. I will still get the parts for this project. I wont let $75 dollars get in the way of a decent nitro truck upgrade. I like quality in my vehicles, I see them as "investments in fun". Thanks again for the info. I guess there is no cheap price for good quality metal gears. Hey, Poor Judgement, you have already purchased this kit and it works great, right? Just thought to ask. No hitches or glitches? Should I beef up the other 11 tooth pinion gear while Im at it? or just replacing the 15tooth gear is fine? Thanks again for the advice you have given...
Old 06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
poor judgement

the 11t has to be used with the 15t as they suit the difference in size between the 39 and 43t steel spurs - ie a difference of 4 teeth between 1st and 2nd gear, on both the spurs and pinions.

important bit: nearly forgot - due to the spurs being smaller, the engine needs to be moved closer to get a good mesh. this results in the flywheel hitting the brake seat, so a fair chunk needs to be ground off the seat. also the engine mount adjuster slots need to be extended on the engine base plate.

i have this setup in my truck, but 2nd is proving a prob as i am struggling to get the 15t gear. the truck has lost a little acceleration, and 2nd gear isnt really needed, but its just what i needed for the beach here - very long and flat...

some pics - hope that clears it all up for u

Name:	Ki19955.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	285425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40719.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	568.9 KB
ID:	285426  
Old 06-15-2005, 02:10 PM
cougartech67

Thanks Poor Judgement. I appreciate the detailed photos and reply back. After reading your latest reply, I will probably decide to PASS on trying this project for now. I really do not want to modify my MT2's chassis. In case I decide to go back to factory, I will have to drop another $45 dollars into getting a replacement chassis. At least for now, I can deal with spending $10 dollars for a replacement spur gear now and then. Maybe if enough of us requested it, CEN might add metal gears as an option for the MT2. I think they should come out with a New Generation MT2 Fun Factor truck. If they did, I would definitely buy one. This project seems like too much modification and grinding out of major chassis parts. I like my MT2's acceleration and I enjoy the 2nd speed. Also, based on the prices I was calculating last night, I can buy 4 complete sets of 44T and 47T Spur Gears for the same price it will take me to buy the $75 dollar cost for the GEN metal spur parts. Hopefully I do not sound ungrateful, I do appreciate all the reply's and answers you have given me. It just sounds like too much tearing up of the MT2 just for metal gears. Hey CenRacer, whats your opinion on this project? I would like to hear other opinions out there about this. Thanks again PJ. Hey CEN, its time for a new generation MT2. If you build it, We will buy it....
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 PM
poor judgement

for what its worth - there are no mods to the actual chassis...

still having probs with the 11t pinion tho - dont do it man, keep to the plastic ones - for now at least! just stripped another pinion, well both of em actually... again.

gonna try the ofna steel clutch bell with 11/15t pinions - if i can find one... failing that, its custom made pinions time!
Old 06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
cougartech67

Ok. I understand. You just modify the aluminum engine mount, not the actual chassis. Yep, I agree. This project is just to costly for all the work. I will just stick with the factory spur's and buy some extra replacements so I have them in stock when needed. Thanks again Poor Judgement. [8D]
Old 06-17-2005, 04:49 PM
cenracer1

what are you running the truck in... it looks like sand.... How much does that contribute to wear on the gears and other parts.. I have some sandy areas here that i can run in,but I avoid them usually... Seriously, I hope the motor fits and works in the cen chassis, but can it be driven????? its a beast with the .18....
Old 06-17-2005, 07:43 PM
poor judgement

i run it on the beach mainly. the sand there is coarse, and doesnt do as much damage as i would have expected. true sometimes a plastic spur gear will go when its in the soft stuff, same as it would with pebbles or gravel...

its stayed outta the diffs so far, and i am obviously very careful with the air filter. i have loads of bearings spare here, but tbh the sand doesnt getinto them if i stay off the real fine dry sand.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:48 AM
cenracer1

makes sense.. the jersey shore sand is too fine to use the trucks in.. tried it and took me way too long to clean.. I have run my trucks on the beaches of Martha's Vinyard off the coast of Massachussetts.. the sand is actually much coarser and easier to clean.. the main problem was you have to stay on the throttle or you sink into it... looks like its trying to dig to china...