Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJ Craft Agenda CD

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:02 AM
Bubblehead575

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgreen24
Well we may have to agree to disagree here. I just saw Chip on Facebook, adjusting an aileron hinge line to make the throw more on an OXAI airplane. As far as quality goes, it probably doesn't get much better than OXAI. However, on the Agenda, I think we are talking about small millimeters, we are not talking inches, and it has taken each guy 15 minutes to repair the fix, doesn't seem that bad to me. I like this design and I can't wait to fly it.

Cheers.
Have to agree. Considering the price difference between BJ and OXAI, what you are paying for is more value. I think they do a pretty good job. The need to make a few alignment "tweeks" are to be expected on any plane. You do it yourself when you scratch build. Is there any Pattern or other ARF sold that you don't have to make some adjustments to, in order to make it set up right?

If someone is building it completely and turning it over ready to fly, that is a different story, And you pay them to make sure it is ready to fly, not Almost Ready to Fly.

I guess it boils down to what you are expecting, So ask yourself, what do you expect from a jig build, and effectively a mass produced item?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:54 AM
UKpatternflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bubblehead575
Have to agree. Considering the price difference between BJ and OXAI, what you are paying for is more value. I think they do a pretty good job. The need to make a few alignment "tweeks" are to be expected on any plane. You do it yourself when you scratch build. Is there any Pattern or other ARF sold that you don't have to make some adjustments to, in order to make it set up right?

If someone is building it completely and turning it over ready to fly, that is a different story, And you pay them to make sure it is ready to fly, not Almost Ready to Fly.

I guess it boils down to what you are expecting, So ask yourself, what do you expect from a jig build, and effectively a mass produced item?

Having just completed an Agenda with the RS Contra drive system, I can happily recommend this model. It built up very easily and there was a surprising amount of relevant hardward included in the kit. The wings and control surfaces were all perfectly straight and the model built very light indeed at 3510g rtf, even after some extra rienforcement around the UC area to accomodate our rought flying fields. I am definitely looking forward to this model in the coming season

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00294a.JPG
Views:	948
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2141033  
Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
pippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Keith ,that looks really nice. Did you do the color scheme or did BJ do it for you ? Can't wait to hear the flying reports.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 PM
UKpatternflyer

Hi Paul,

Its the Akiba color scheme? You can specify it when ordering and cost a little more but worth it in my opinion. If its anything like the Inspire I flew last year it should be great

How's yours going?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 AM
pippy

Hi Keith, that color scheme does look nice. Mine has been ready to go for a few weeks now but it's still raining here and our field entrance is still under water. Anyway I have doses of flu etc to deal with as well. I must be patient and wait for the right conditions.
Have you used the RS system previously or are not?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:11 PM
UKpatternflyer

Hi Paul,

No I've used the Brenner V3 system with 20" props on my Inspire and that went very well indeed. If the v4 version had been available at the time of ordering I may well have gone that route, especially as it comes with a optimised motor. Adrian H has used the RS system on his Allure and he's vey pleased with the results
Old 01-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Bubblehead575

My Inspire is flying with 22" props on my Brenner V3. My Agenda is waiting on the V4 and right now I am planning on using the same props. (22 x 18 front and 22 x 20 rear.)
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 AM
pippy

The V4 sounds like a great system and worth waiting for I think.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 AM
pippy

I took a ok a couple of photos before the maiden flight. You can see the water on the surface behind the plane. There was just a narrow strip of the runway that didn't have standing water. It was still all pretty soggy.

Anyway I had 2 flights this morning. The first flight I had to give 4 clicks of down elevator, 4/5 clicks of left aileron and 2 of left rudder to fly straight and level. Vertical up and down were quite straight and knife edge a small push on right and a small pull on left. I started with a copy of my Inspire program so the controls felt quite soft. Landed nice and slow without any hassle.
For the second flight I left the trims and just flew some schedule. Rolls ,knife edges ok.i need a little more rudder for stalls. Snap was ok and spins may need a bit of work compared to the inspire.

As as the plane is light I had to hold back the power a bit or manoeuvres got very big. I am happy to start with..

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	791
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2142369   Click image for larger version

Views:	767
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2142370  
Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 AM
HerbK

Hi Paul,
Glad to hear you were able to get out to fly the Agenda. Been doing a lot of flying between rain drops myself here in California.
I always find that I need to make slight adjustments to the wing incidence to get the ailerons trimmed. As far as the Rudder is concerned carefully check your thrust to be sure you have no right thrust. I move the back plate slightly to get the thrust corrected.I use the Budd isolators so there is some give there. It also sounds like you might be a touch tail heavy.
On the Snaps I had to use a bit more aileron with the Agenda wings on the Inspire to get the speed of the Snaps to match up. I like the Snaps better with the Agenda wings. On the other side the Spins are faster with the Agenda Wings so I had to cut down Aileron for the Spins.
Let us know how the next few flights go if you can get out.

Herb
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 AM
pippy

Thanks Herb. Some very sound advice but I think the weather is bad for the foreseeable again. At least it's a start.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:40 PM
pippy

Finally got 4 more flights on a very calm day. I had adjusted the wings to eliminate aileron trim and down elevator trim. The ailerons are now almost level with very little trim and I was able to take out 2 clicks of down elevator. I had also had to put in some left rudder in the previous session so I put a small amount of left thrust on the drive but it didn't change anything.
Other than these changes the plane is very stable and I flew the P17 schedule reasonably well ( I've only flown it a few times). The plane snaps really sharply and stops perfectly. Vertical up and down are very straight so far. The spins are a little faster so I need to adjust the rates for that to get them better.
Overall I am happy so far but will still require more flights to really dial it in of course. Landing is really easy also which I need due to flying on a very small site. I must land at slow speed.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:58 AM
pippy

I have approx 27 flights up now with about 5 in a crosswind and I am very happy with the set up. As you can see in the photo I felt the canaliser had too much movement so a I put a brace under it to stiffen the fus at that point. This is the first model in 20 years that I havent damaged the undercarriage mount in the first few sessions as it is so easy to land even onto a small soft surface.

I liked my Inspire last year but the Agenda right now is a step up which is hard to believe and I hope it will help me in the competitions this year.

Views:	740
Size:	617.3 KB
ID:	2152343  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Bubblehead575

Well, got my V4 Brenner drive installed and got a real maiden flight in (the first one last week only lasted 30 seconds due to a speed control fire). Got 5 solid trim flights in and just love the way the plane is flying, very little trim needed. However I needed to adjust the elevator trim a fair amount, and I think the issue is the incidence. It is pulling to the canopy on up-lines and down-lines, as well as knife edge. It snaps nice and slow, so is easy to stop. The spin entry is fabulous, especially compared to my Inspire. It rolls like a dream, however with the wing so far below the thrust line it looks a little odd, like it is wallowing.

Current incidence settings are as follows. Nose ring (motor Thrust) is at -1.0* Wing is at +1.7* and cantalizer is at 0* Based on BJ recommended settings the wing should be at +1.0* otherwise everything matches suggested set up

Earlier posts on the other Agenda thread seemed to suggest it should be at +2.5*. I was assuming that I was miss reading the post and that they were talking about the difference between thrust and wing, which would put me just a little high.

Last edited by Bubblehead575; 03-21-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:12 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubblehead575
Well, got my V4 Brenner drive installed and got a real maiden flight in (the first one last week only lasted 30 seconds due to a speed control fire). Got 5 solid trim flights in and just love the way the plane is flying, very little trim needed. However I needed to adjust the elevator trim a fair amount, and I think the issue is the incidence. It is pulling to the canopy on up-lines and down-lines, as well as knife edge. It snaps nice and slow, so is easy to stop. The spin entry is fabulous, especially compared to my Inspire. It rolls like a dream, however with the wing so far below the thrust line it looks a little odd, like it is wallowing.

Current incidence settings are as follows. Nose ring (motor Thrust) is at -1.0* Wing is at +1.7* and cantalizer is at 0* Based on BJ recommended settings the wing should be at +1.0* otherwise everything matches suggested set up

Earlier posts on the other Agenda thread seemed to suggest it should be at +2.5*. I was assuming that I was miss reading the post and that they were talking about the difference between thrust and wing, which would put me just a little high.

Check the info I posted on my Agenda thread. The incidence should be at +2.2. The CG location and incidence info is correct. That will cure your pull issues. This is measured when you set the fuse such that you read -1.0 on the nose ring. Then, if you measure the wing incidence you will measure +2.2. His original incidence was too shallow. This is not relative to the datum line on the fuselage, as there is no way to measure relative to that. Measuring relative to the fuse datum line would give you the true incidence setting, but who knows what that is.

As for snaps, I use a fairly high rate and it snaps extremely quickly and stops immediately. Very nice.