Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:13 AM
simple295

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Thanks guys once again, I had a feeling it was there to be sacrificed for the more expensive peices.

I've had a lot of problems with the motor shifting around alot, the stock screws just didnt seem to hold it after about a day of using it(3-4 packs that day) so I found a couple Ihad laying around, and tightened them really well. It was really strange, Ieven called HPI about it. Itold them that the screws were fine, not stripped, and that if Itook the motor out and put the screws in, they held tight as could be, but once the motor was in the housing the screws lost all purpose. I couldnt believe it, and neither could the tech.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 AM
thehuntingterminator

that's probably the best looking Storm i've seen! nice job. almost looks like a Hyper TT with the white body on....
ORIGINAL: wanna_be_racer

Here's some pics. sorry for the crappy quality.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
wanna_be_racer

Thank you. I put it some serious hours getting it to that point. I'm not done with her yet though. There are still many upgrades to be done and many parts to be made. As well as a new body. But thanks again.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 PM
nitro-rob

Wanna be, it looks great. Can you send high quality pics of the wing mount? How easy was it to mount? I have been looking at different wings to apply.
Simple - do you use loctite on the motor bolts?

ORIGINAL: wanna_be_racer

Here's some pics. sorry for the crappy quality.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
tails13

ORIGINAL: simple295

Thanks guys once again, I had a feeling it was there to be sacrificed for the more expensive peices.

I've had a lot of problems with the motor shifting around alot, the stock screws just didnt seem to hold it after about a day of using it(3-4 packs that day) so I found a couple Ihad laying around, and tightened them really well. It was really strange, Ieven called HPI about it. Itold them that the screws were fine, not stripped, and that if Itook the motor out and put the screws in, they held tight as could be, but once the motor was in the housing the screws lost all purpose. I couldnt believe it, and neither could the tech.
The screws are pretty short, so I'm assuming the thread is stripped inside the end bell of the motor. Why it works when the motor if off the mount is because the screw can reach further into the hole where there is more thread.

Longer screws and some loctite should work, maybe consider rotating the motor to some fresh end bell holes. I did that, but didn't like where it put the cables in the line of danger. So I actually undid the motor screws and rotated the end bell itself to some fresh screw holes.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:49 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i had this problem on my evader with the motor just sliding around in the mount... a few of these bad boys helped a ton...

i found some at my hardware store...

the lug
Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that or loctite works.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM
simple295

Tails13, you're right, Ifound some longer screws and it seems to be working so far.

I took some pictures of my used and abused firestorm, I guess its the only way I can show thanks for the quick and helpful responses.

http://imgur.com/a/qzCUN
Old 07-26-2011, 08:12 PM
wanna_be_racer

I can dig out my Nikkon and get some way better pics tomorrow sometime for sure, if you'd like.

Over all, it was maybe 45 minutes of work. The hard part was measuring the spacing needed and measuring where I needed to drill new hols in the wing mount. But I can get those measurments for you in no time now, again if you'd like. I may just make a thread and post it. I think it's better suited for a road-going build, rather than a bash build, but that may be on account that I'm using an 1/8th scale wing.  

Side note.....I seem to be having stuttering issues. It's not the slipper, it's deff something with the ESC, motor or battery. But I have no idea how or why. After 30 seconds of this, I turned the truck off and felt the esc and it was wayyy hotter than it shoulda been for a 30 second run. around 90 degrees on a 78 degree night. I'll do some more trouble shooting when it's light out though.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 AM
herK

Hi guys!

What type of rear tire should I use on clinder-track? I want to try hobby racing. Should I upgrade any part of the car for that? Thanks
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM
redfisher1974

If you Google HPI E-firestorm racing thread, You will find a really good thread on setting up the storm for racing...most of us are just your everyday bashers.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
ElectricGuy007

The bomber class is starting to pick up down south of where I live. I might be the only person with an E-firestorm Bomber.
I lowered the suspension first off and the Proline Speed Hawg tires I picked out for it hook up fine on thier oval.
People there were racing with brushed motors, but they said brushed is better on oval than brushless.
Here's some pictures of my E-Firestorm Bomber. I actually like the way it turned out. I cut out 3 shells for it.

Bomber = Stadium Truck or 2wd buggy with a car body and street tires, Speed Hawg, Striker 2, or Road Hawgs.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 AM
AL3xGR

Nice bodies.
I was looking for a better and more aerodynamic body. What body is this at the first pic?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 AM
tails13

What's the 'bomber' class? 

Just finished this body, painting was easy but it came with like 70 stickers which took forever to apply.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 AM
nitro-rob

Intereting idea the bomber class:Bomber = Stadium Truck or 2wd buggy with a car body and street tires, Speed Hawg, Striker 2, or Road Hawgs.

I don't see how the bodies are essential to the class but its a neat idea. Unfortunately SC took over ST in our area (area being Reds and mine).

Tails - great body, is that one of the HPI option bodies?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM
namewasdallas

Ok everyone im getting back into r/c im picking up the E Firestorm Flux, I've never had a brushless setup always brushed so its all new to me. I want to swap out the Vektor motor into my rustler I have and swap in  Castle Creations motor and ESC.

Now what motor an ESC should i buy , I dont want a super high KV, It has to be able to run 2s or 3s Lipos. I say I dont want a super high KV cause you have to gear them low to keep cool. So i want something I can gear up to make fast and still stay cool.

I was looking at the 100mph rustlers and they were running the Mamba Monster with ESC with a 31T pinon and like a 38T Spur and there nasty fast.

What would be my best option something like Sidewinder V2 with Neu Castle 4600kv Motor says it can run up to 3s Lipo or they have the 5700kv Neu castle that can run 3s anything higher switchs to the older CM36 motor which i wanna stay away from and use their new style motors.

Or should i buy a Mamba max pro ESC and a different motor to hook up to it by castle?

I plan to run 2s or 3s Lipos

Any help and info would be great, just want to do it right the first time and be happy with it.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 AM
thehuntingterminator

i say go with the SV2 paired with the 4600. just as much possible speed with gearing, and lower temps than the 5700KV.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
nitro-rob

Welcome namewasdallas,.  
I recommend you reading back a few pages. I ran the 4600 2 and 4-pole as well as the 3800 4-pole on two storms side-by-side.  I don't recommend the V2 if you can, it seems to be getting hot.  I run the mamba max pro and heat is not an issue.  The fan barely comes on in the hottest weather and I've never seen higher than 120F.

I think the MMax pro and SCT 3800 are the way to go and I am not a hypocrit since I am waiting for one for my storm to come any day and the 4600 4-pole is a spare now.  It has awesome power and produces little heat on motor and ESC.  You can gear it to the moon.  The 3800 runs much cooler than the 4600 and it will outperform it.

I would stay away from sensored motors if you want a lot of power.  They are sure footed and smooth as hot butter but weak compared to sensorless.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM
butcher806

Hello, I am brand new to this forum and fairly new to RC cars/trucks. I have a gearing question I was hoping someone could help me with. I did some searching but could not find the answer.

I was planning on building a rustler until I found the e-firestorm and decided to pick up a 10HT. I already purchased a Reedy 3900KV brushless system that I hope to put in the firestorm. Will I need to modify the gearing and if so does anyone have any suggestions. 

I hope it will not be too under powered for the car. I have bought a couple 2S 5000mah lipos for now and may get a 3s later. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
rclugnut10

start with 18/87 if you're running stock gearing on the reedy system and it should check motor temps after like 5 min...

the lug
Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
nitro-rob

I bet you will be able to go up a lot taller with the KV rating but 18 is a good start.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

Ok everyone im getting back into r/c im picking up the E Firestorm Flux, I've never had a brushless setup always brushed so its all new to me. I want to swap out the Vektor motor into my rustler I have and swap in Castle Creations motor and ESC.

Now what motor an ESC should i buy , I dont want a super high KV, It has to be able to run 2s or 3s Lipos. I say I dont want a super high KV cause you have to gear them low to keep cool. So i want something I can gear up to make fast and still stay cool.

I was looking at the 100mph rustlers and they were running the Mamba Monster with ESC with a 31T pinon and like a 38T Spur and there nasty fast.

What would be my best option something like Sidewinder V2 with Neu Castle 4600kv Motor says it can run up to 3s Lipo or they have the 5700kv Neu castle that can run 3s anything higher switchs to the older CM36 motor which i wanna stay away from and use their new style motors.

Or should i buy a Mamba max pro ESC and a different motor to hook up to it by castle?

I plan to run 2s or 3s Lipos

Any help and info would be great, just want to do it right the first time and be happy with it.
You know the vektor motor is made by castle...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
butcher806

Thanks for the quick responses! Iwill report back and let you know how it works.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 PM
nitro-rob

I keep forgetting about the updated storm. Go with the Vektor 4800. No need to upgrade. I assume its very close in design to the castle 4600 which is a great motor and a popular upgrade. Darkside is running that truck stock and he has had no problems.

I notice the savage flux XS has a Vektor 4000 which I assume is a similar slight redesign and rebadging that happened with the 4600/4800.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
DarksideVR

Not yet anyway Have been having a busy summer, haven't had as much RC time as I would like. This is kind of my Birthday weekend (actually Monday) and I am going to make time to play

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.