Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SBS-01V Voltage Sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default SBS-01V Voltage Sensor problem

I managed to get a SBS-01V Voltage Sensor for my Futaba 18MZ.

It is not available in the market for some months.

I connected it to the receiver battery (New THUNDER POWER 910-2S) before the DigiSwitch.

I have some strange reading in the radio telemetry:
Under load the receiver battery voltage droops to 4.0V and simultaneous it reads 8.1V on a voltmeter connected parallelly.

Is someone had the same experience with the SBS-01V Voltage Sensor?

Does Futaba aware of this problem and that is the reason why It is not available in the market for some months?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SBS-01V Voltage Sensor problem

First off, the R7008SB RX sends receiver bus voltage without using the added sensor.
Second, if you want a second battery voltage (like motor, before regulator, etc) then all you need is the cable CA-RVIN-700.

The SBS-01V sensor allows you to monitor a third pack.

SO:

RX = servo bus voltage. If unregulated = RX battery voltage. If regulated = regulated voltage to the RX/servos.
EXT Battery = either voltage before a regulator, if none then you can get motor pack voltage
SBS-01V = Third pack. I would only use this if I was using a voltage regulator for the RX power and wanted to get the following:

1 - Regulated voltage to RX
2 - Unregulated RX pack voltage (before regulator)
3 - Motor pack voltage

If you are using unregulated RX power then you do not need to use the SBS-01V.

In your case I would need to know how you have things connected to diagnose your issue.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
najary

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

First off, the R7008SB RX sends receiver bus voltage without using the added sensor.
Second, if you want a second battery voltage (like motor, before regulator, etc) then all you need is the cable CA-RVIN-700.

SO:

RX = servo bus voltage. If unregulated = RX battery voltage. If regulated = regulated voltage to the RX/servos.
EXT Battery = either voltage before a regulator, if none then you can get motor pack voltage
SBS-01V = Third pack. I would only use this if I was using a voltage regulator for the RX power and wanted to get the following:

3 - Motor pack voltage

In your case I would need to know how you have things connected to diagnose your issue.
Here is how things are connected:

2 - Unregulated RX pack voltage (before regulator) - use the SBS-01V

3 - Motor pack voltage - use CA-RVIN-700

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Rune

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9727
I use this to get the unregulated voltage on my futaba , works great...no problem made a smal cabel off it and just plug it in the cabel i use for charging.
For Mah usage on the motor battery I us a SM sensor readout are correct but it is some issue when it start the alarm ....i cant getthe radio to tell just one time so it continue to alarm until I turn itt off ...not completely ok but better than nothing , will change to the futaba sensor when the release it if not the software the have to come with will solve the problem, this is on a 18mz
Old 05-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: najary

SO:

3 - Motor pack voltage

Here is how things are connected:

2 - Unregulated RX pack voltage (before regulator) - use the SBS-01V

3 - Motor pack voltage - use CA-RVIN-700

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
That is how I would do it. So I am not sure why you are having issues. You could swap 2 & 3 around and it should not matter.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It might not make any difference but I wonder if the digiswitch regulates the ground wire and not the positive wire or floats the ground to some extent?

I'd double check the voltage drop across the digiswitch on the positive and negative wires and see if there is zero voltage drop across the negative wires.

It seems really odd that a meter is reading 8.1v but the sensor is reading 4.1v unless the sensor is comparing the voltage on the battery positive to something other than the battery negative (maybe the RX negative?)

If you can read 8.1V across the battery terminals, I'd like to see 8.1 volts between the rx negative and battery positive as well.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 AM
najary

Here is the connection diagram.

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78609.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1887454  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:23 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As I looked at the manual, I think you either have a cold weld or a bad sensor, did you installed the fuse? If there is no fuse, I think is a bad sensor as I am pretty sure you know how to solder well.

Regards

Alejandro
Old 06-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Rune

If you have the conector that fit in the reciver ..the smal white one like on my link..you can conect that direktly to the sourch you want a read out from ..I have no other than a cabel direct from the uregulated side off the digiswicths to the rx..I think it only a diode to prevent you from conect wrong polarity.
You must have the conector from your Futaba sensor try to conect on the sourch directly
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 AM
najary

ORIGINAL: apereira

As I looked at the manual, I think you either have a cold weld or a bad sensor, did you installed the fuse? If there is no fuse, I think is a bad sensor as I am pretty sure you know how to solder well.

Regards

Alejandro
Hi Alejandro,

Yes I installed the fuse.

About a cold weld, I usually try to avoid a cold weld.
Without any load the sensor reads the battery voltage perfectly, in this case do you think it still can be a cold weld?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 AM
najary

ORIGINAL: Rune

If you have the conector that fit in the reciver ..the smal white one like on my link..you can conect that direktly to the sourch you want a read out from ..I have no other than a cabel direct from the uregulated side off the digiswicths to the rx..I think it only a diode to prevent you from conect wrong polarity.
You must have the conector from your Futaba sensor try to conect on the sourch directly
Hi Rune,

I use the small white connector (in the receiver back) to read the motor battery and it works perfectly.

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 06-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Silent-AV8R

What voltage are you seeing on your transmitter under the RX voltage? This is the one that the servos see, not the one the SBS-01V is reading? Also, do you have the SBS-01V plugged into the the S.Bus2 port??

Also, how are your telemetry slots assigned? What sensor is on which slot?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM
najary

What voltage are you seeing on your transmitter under the RX voltage? This is the one that the servos see, not the one the SBS-01V is reading? Also, do you have the SBS-01V plugged into the the S.Bus2 port??

Also, how are your telemetry slots assigned? What sensor is on which slot?
I connected the sensor just like the manual says.

What voltage are you seeing on your transmitter under the RX voltage? – 5.3V.

Do you have the SBS-01V plugged into the S.Bus2 port??- Yes.

How are your telemetry slots assigned? – Slot no. 6.

What sensor is on which slot? – Voltage

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Silent-AV8R

OK, so the RX voltage is working correctly.
The motor battery voltage displays correctly as well, correct?
The issue is what voltage displays on the RX for the external RX pack (before the regulator) correct?

Forget the voltmeter readings for now. What do you see on the TX display for the three voltages you are monitoring??
Old 06-01-2013, 09:27 AM
najary

The motor battery voltage displays correctly as well, correct? - Yes
The issue is what voltage displays on the RX for the external RX pack (before the regulator) correct? - Yes

Forget the voltmeter readings for now. What do you see on the TX display for the three voltages you are monitoring??
Unloaded loaded

Motor battery 41.5V 41.5V

Receiver 5.5V 5.3V

Receiver battery 8.2V 4.0V
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Silent-AV8R

The issue is what voltage displays on the RX for the external RX pack (before the regulator) correct? - Yes

Unloaded loaded

Receiver 5.5V 5.3V

Not sure what you mean by "loaded"? When you look at the Home2 screen what values do you see for each item.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM
najary

Unloaded loaded

Receiver 5.5V 5.3V

Not sure what you mean by ''loaded''? When you look at the Home2 screen what values do you see for each item.
Loaded means that I hold the servo with my hand simulating the forces that are apply on the control surfaces during flights.

When I look at the Home2 screen these are values that I see:

Without load:

Motor battery - 41.5V

Receiver - 5.5V

Receiver battery - 8.2V

When the servos are loaded:

Motor battery - 41.5V

Receiver - 5.3V

Receiver battery – 4.0V

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the voltage does not drop unloaded, I think something is resisted, either the fuse, wire terminals(bad crimping),etc, but still think is the sensor, did you check the resistance? voltage drop is actually the best measurement, but that is the problem you already identified. Can you borrow another sensor from someone? Check the voltage drop on the fuse just in case, or just bypass it for testing purposes.

Best regards
Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM
bjr_93tz

The sensor itself would draw next to no current whether the system is under load or not, so if it reads 8V without load it should read 8v with load, bad joint won't make a difference here.

There's no way the RX can be showing 5.5-5.3V and the input to the digiswitch is showing 4.0v so there must be more than 4v (on average) at the battery like the hand held meter suggests.

There may be some electrical garbage sitting on the line before the digiswitch under load (like a really noisy servo) which is upsetting the sensor that the hand held voltmeter is ignoring, if the two are showing different voltages when connected to the same physical points.

Can you try a different digiswitch or perhaps remove the servo's from the RX and reconnect then one at a time. Just for interest, you could try measuring the battery voltage with the voltmeter set to AC volts, ideally it should read zero but if a lot of electrical noise appears (AC voltage) it should show up something..

Cheers

Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 AM
najary

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

The sensor itself would draw next to no current whether the system is under load or not, so if it reads 8V without load it should read 8v with load, bad joint won't make a difference here.

There's no way the RX can be showing 5.5-5.3V and the input to the digiswitch is showing 4.0v so there must be more than 4v (on average) at the battery like the hand held meter suggests.

There may be some electrical garbage sitting on the line before the digiswitch under load (like a really noisy servo) which is upsetting the sensor that the hand held voltmeter is ignoring, if the two are showing different voltages when connected to the same physical points.

Can you try a different digiswitch or perhaps remove the servo's from the RX and reconnect then one at a time. Just for interest, you could try measuring the battery voltage with the voltmeter set to AC volts, ideally it should read zero but if a lot of electrical noise appears (AC voltage) it should show up something..

Cheers

Hi Cheers,

Thank you for your answer.

I flowed your advice and here are the results:

1. In picture no. 1 you can see the way the sensor was assembled (a lot of room for electrical garbage).

2. In picture no. 2 you can see the reading with no load on the radio and the reading on the voltmeter (DCV) – everything is normal.

3. In picture no. 3 you can see the reading with no load on the radio and the reading on the voltmeter (ACV) – it is not zero on the voltmeter, a suspicion of electrical noise appears.

4. In picture no. 4 you can see that the sensor was separated from the servos wires.

5. In picture no. 5 you can see the readings with load after the sensor was separated from the servos wires – on the receiver (after the digiswitch) 5.2V,
On the voltmeter 7.89V and on the receiver battery (telemetry) 3.7V !!!

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,

Isaac Najary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37364.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1887863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81832.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1887864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39989.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1887865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51807.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1887866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82407.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1887867  
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Rune

[quoteHi Rune,

I use the small white connector (in the receiver back) to read the motor battery and it works perfectly.

Best regards,

Isaac Najary

][/quote]I thought this was the one you had problem with ..I dont bother about read the voltage on the motorbattery , the SM sensor can take care off that and also the Mah usage ..but I dont use the voltage on that.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM
bjr_93tz

Hi Isaac, thank you very much for the detailed photo's.

With the voltmeter set to the 750Vac range I'm not sure if anything can be read into the "017" displayed but if there were 17volts of AC present on that line the sensor might be having trouble making sense of it. The main clue here is that there's more volts at the RX than what the sensor says is being put into the digiswitch and there's no way that can be. I know the YS cdi puts a lot of noise back on it's battery.

What I'd be tempted to do is remove all the servo's from the receiver and make up a dummy load like a simple resistor (4 or 5 ohms, or a 6V 5Watt light bulb) that will draw about 1 amp and plug that into the receiver and see what that does. Or before that, replace the digiswitch with another regulator (just for bench testing). There's something funny going on...