Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

ORIGINAL: wgeffon

I had my Yak out today for the first time in a long time..
It NEVER loses its fun factor.

Wayne, the corn is comming in real nice this year. Good thing you switched to that Pioneer corn seed!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:37 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that Corn?
I grew up in the big city.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Mike Parsons

Is that Corn?
Mayberry is not what we call a big city Wayne...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Mike Parsons

Is that Corn?
Mayberry is not what we call a big city Wayne...
he was born in Mayberry, but moved to Mount Pilot at age 7
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Good one Mike..
Old 07-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

What did the canopy & hatch cost?
I called him and he said that it was a 2 pieces ( Hatch & Deck) for $100. Seems a tad high!
Any other options for replacement parts?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

I asked about a cowl and he wanted 60.00 plus shipping for it, man I think that is high to high for me. I will just use the old one put up with the cracks.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:35 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Scalerules, sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out of town and before I left my internet went south for about 5 days before I got back on. Anyway, I took and ca'd the cowl ring just enough to get it right where I wanted it and had everything aligned. Then I take epoxy resin and 3 oz cloth and fabricate it in. I know it is extra work but I have never regreted doing it, my yak has several hard flights and has held up great.
Jeff
Old 07-30-2006, 07:25 AM
torqmeister

This is the only one I have found.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
rcrick

Of the 50cc Yaks with a cannister tunnel in them ,that are available . Which is the best flying ,lightest weight one ?

I love my E.F. Yak and I would like to have another one. Since they are no longer available I have been looking at the BME ( don't like the color scheme, could recover) and the TOC 1 in the Russian Thunder scheme (heavier).

Anyone on here have any flight experience with any of the available Yaks ? Any comments ,etc. would be appreciated.

THANKS,

Rick
Old 08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
romanrc

Last weekend I flyed at Guadalajara, the second city of Mexico.

In the club I can see the yaks TOC 1, BME, Somenzini, and KMP and of course my EF Yak.

We can tell you the EF is 3 punds more light of the TOC 1 BME and KMP and .5 puond more ligth of somenzini, this plane is small of the other 4.

The EF is very superior plane, more agile and land like a trainer. this city is at 5000 feat at sea level, I fly at sea level.

I wish Chris put this awesome plane in the future in stock
Old 09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
torqmeister

I need a fuselage for my EF 87" Yak. Does anyone have one?

There should be a few of the "twisted ones" out there, that never got used. I want my Yak to fly again. Thanks in advance for any help here. Obviously, I am willing to pay for the fuselage & the shipping.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:24 AM
PylonMike

I had one but gave it to a friend of mine that needed one. Sorry Ill keep my eye open.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
JWilliams

Anybody got a canopy/hatch they are willing to part with?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff W.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
T Erickson

After repeatedly kicking myself for not buying an 87 to go with my 68, and spending a lot of time trying to figure out what 50cc plane to buy now that i'm ready to step up to gassers, imagine my suprise to park next to a fellow selling his 87 at the Corning fun fly on sat. $1000 w/ a DA50, 5945s/8611, ks pipe, just add recv., and maybe batts, and fly...I'm STOKED! It could use a cowl and canopy, but will certainly fly with a few cracks. If anyone has spares.....Thanks, T.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

If you are willing to paint a cowl, and use a slightly heavier canopy, The guy who sells the EF/KMP rejects has spares.

The cowl, is the same dimensions. Strip it, paint it.

The canopy is partial balsa built up , and a clear canopy that you must screw/glue/oracover on .

It will fit with minor mods. the turtle deck angle and height are correct, ,side dimen is same, the forward length needs to be adjusted just slightly. Pin in and fasten same.

I cannot envision me EVER being without this plane. 1000 bucks..????? A steal .

I use TNT alum gear on mine, a little heavier, but it works perfect form my bumpy grass field.

15lbs 8oz. DA, stock pipe, Li-ions, 8611A'a all around, mini on throttle. I am currently on gallon #23 ....about a gallon and a half a week. It is addicting.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:00 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: T Erickson

After repeatedly kicking myself for not buying an 87 to go with my 68, and spending a lot of time trying to figure out what 50cc plane to buy now that i'm ready to step up to gassers, imagine my suprise to park next to a fellow selling his 87 at the Corning fun fly on sat. $1000 w/ a DA50, 5945s/8611, ks pipe, just add recv., and maybe batts, and fly...I'm STOKED! It could use a cowl and canopy, but will certainly fly with a few cracks. If anyone has spares.....Thanks, T.
that was a heck of a good deal!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I also thought I read somewhere that the TOC Yaks use the same size canopy and cowls as well but I'm not sure..

Congrats on the deal...I love mine
Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 PM
T Erickson

Thanks for the info, boss. Mines' @ 16lb 3oz right now, I can see some lipos, cf gear, lighter wheels & titanium axles coming in the near future. For now, I've got the rx in, the throws acceptable, and if the nimh packs cycle ok, I'll get a flight or three in after work one day this week. One of the elevators is hinged crooked, I wonder if there's enough meat to re-hinge next to existing points? Anybody done stab surgery? Gonna take awhile to read through 250 pages! T.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Bosshossv8

You might find an elevator if you post it in the wanted section. You could cut it out and re-hinge it, depending on your building skills. In a pinch , I would do it.

Don't risk this bird to a cheesy electric setup. .....

Go Fromeco 2400 ///thunder power 1320 with fromeco regs. 5ounces lost right there....and much safer than a glow plane switch and a nimh. IMO .....

This is a rare bird that deserves the best . let me know if you want a schematic of how I have mine.

even at 16 lb 3 oz it will pull stumps like a mule

Just don;t be tempted to throw the junk box stuff you have around to finish it up.....get the best stuff with the dough you saved. There is no other bird (ARF) that compares and it is simply worth protecting with the best.

There has to be enough elevators to get you aspare from someone who whapped thiers......the tail usually survives.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:38 PM
jrjohn

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

You might find an elevator if you post it in the wanted section. You could cut it out and re-hinge it, depending on your building skills. In a pinch , I would do it.

Don't risk this bird to a cheesy electric setup. .....

Go Fromeco 2400 ///thunder power 1320 with fromeco regs. 5ounces lost right there....and much safer than a glow plane switch and a nimh. IMO .....

This is a rare bird that deserves the best . let me know if you want a schematic of how I have mine.

even at 16 lb 3 oz it will pull stumps like a mule

Just don;t be tempted to throw the junk box stuff you have around to finish it up.....get the best stuff with the dough you saved. There is no other bird (ARF) that compares and it is simply worth protecting with the best.

There has to be enough elevators to get you aspare from someone who whapped thiers......the tail usually survives.
Boss, where are you putting the 1320 Thunderpower battery? I'm assuming thats Li-poly not Li-ion right?

John
Old 10-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Bosshossv8

I was using the "Imac Standard" setup from Fromeco. 4800 plane / 2400 ignition .....9.9 ounce of battery. plus the weight of the heavy wire.

After flying the early part of the season...daily, I was using between 1200 and 1400mah on plane, and between 500 and 800 on ignition on a heavy day of flying.

I dropped down to 2400 li-ion plane / 1320 Li-po (2-cell) on ignition. Saving 5 ounces.

My batteries are forward behind the motor box , in a balsa foam padded box I made.

Now on all my DA-50 planes , at least ones that don;t need any extra ballast, get the 2400 /1320 treatment.

My batteries get unplugged at the end of the day, I use no switches betweeen my regs and battts. I use the Reg shutdown feature of the Fromeco regulators. It draws 2mah when shutdown, so you should unplug them when you re done. i have left them plugged accidentily on one plane I was not flying for 2 weeks with no problems , the batts were still flyable, but partially drained. There is a danger of ruining the batteries in a system like this, if they left them plugged in for a month, so many don;t use it, or even pooh-pooh it here on the forums.....

It works for me, peace of mind..no switches to crash my plane. only swtich on the plane s one failsafe pin switch on the Fromeco reg shutdown for the plane. The igniton cannot be turned on without power to the Optical Kill from Smartfly via the receiver.....no sw. on ign on the plane ....only radio.

I was doing this system on my first gasser, and low and behold, I buy a plane from a popular poster here, who later dissed me, and he had the same setup in his plane. Gee, I guess I am not the only one who doesn't like switches.

I have 7 planes with this setup...DA-50 , 100, BME 102's, even a converted Zenoah...(shhhhhhhh .....some people might pooh pooh me for having a Zenoah).

The whol 2400 / 1320 setup was just a natural adjustment when analyzing the usage of the batteries. The weight was the gravy.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
jrjohn

I was using the "Imac Standard" setup from Fromeco. 4800 plane / 2400 ignition .....9.9 ounce of battery. plus the weight of the heavy wire.

After flying the early part of the season...daily, I was using between 1200 and 1400mah on plane, and between 500 and 800 on ignition on a heavy day of flying.

I dropped down to 2400 li-ion plane / 1320 Li-po (2-cell) on ignition. Saving 5 ounces.

My batteries are forward behind the motor box , in a balsa foam padded box I made.

Now on all my DA-50 planes , at least ones that don;t need any extra ballast, get the 2400 /1320 treatment.

My batteries get unplugged at the end of the day, I use no switches betweeen my regs and battts. I use the Reg shutdown feature of the Fromeco regulators. It draws 2mah when shutdown, so you should unplug them when you re done. i have left them plugged accidentily on one plane I was not flying for 2 weeks with no problems , the batts were still flyable, but partially drained. There is a danger of ruining the batteries in a system like this, if they left them plugged in for a month, so many don;t use it, or even pooh-pooh it here on the forums.....

It works for me, peace of mind..no switches to crash my plane. only swtich on the plane s one failsafe pin switch on the Fromeco reg shutdown for the plane. The igniton cannot be turned on without power to the Optical Kill from Smartfly via the receiver.....no sw. on ign on the plane ....only radio.

I was doing this system on my first gasser, and low and behold, I buy a plane from a popular poster here, who later dissed me, and he had the same setup in his plane. Gee, I guess I am not the only one who doesn't like switches.

I have 7 planes with this setup...DA-50 , 100, BME 102's, even a converted Zenoah...(shhhhhhhh .....some people might pooh pooh me for having a Zenoah).

The whol 2400 / 1320 setup was just a natural adjustment when analyzing the usage of the batteries. The weight was the gravy.
Boss, Your the first guy I know that runs a li-poly on a gasser. I was told they don't like vibration and can self-distruct when exposed to such.

Good luck with that! I would not keep that plane in the garage after flying, unless it's the neighbors garage.

John
Old 10-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Edge

Boss, the on/off switch on your tx causes more crashes than anything else.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Current Lions are rated at 4.6 amp for Max Discharge. A single digital servo can draw upwards of 2 amps at stall...

A plane this size and 5 digital servos will pass that many times in a 3D flight... short bursts... and probably would be fine... but be advised it is on the "edge" of the cell's performance. Over some time this may lend to early failure of a cell and loss of aircraft...

A stalled servo too might very well damage the pack and cause complete failure... before it could get to the ground...

The new M1 Power Cells from A123 Systems will handle the loads... but at nearly 50% more weight of a 2400/2600 lion... it's more of a wash.

Guys are indeed using 2 cell packs (2400/2600) and getting by just fine... but it seems too nominal for the 3.3 oz savings...

If you "tweak it for the best" everywhere else... I'd hate to risk it by pushing the cells to their limit each and every flight.

Lipolies in 2000mah size don't really save any weight over lions but DO allow much higher discharge rates/lower voltage drops...

Just a perspective to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.