Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I've "baptized" a plane or two over the years
GaGB's,

Wow! what a beautiful place to fly. From the looks of it, the "baptizmal" would be a great spot to fly floats from.

And, if that's your back yard, I'm adopting you as my long lost uncle and coming to live there!!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:11 AM
kevinkenny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89038.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1313331  
Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes apoligies too ed,i open my mouth just fast enough to fit my foot in

I don't think the chinese are dumb enough to make bad kits all the time even tho it feels good to buy your own.They got firecrackers right hundreds of years ago and their skyrockets fly straight expendable as they are.Scratch builders can be pendantic..who makes their balsa/electronics/engine etc.When you hear a nice engine in your plane thats enough.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

The great thing about our hobby is that it offers something for almost any interest. I'm not a scratch builder and really don't care to be. I'm more of an "engine guy" and especially love a good four stroke... the more complicated the better. The airframe to me is just what is necessary and "right" to carry that engine. I want it to be reasonably scale and it must look good but I don't have the time or skill to roll my own. I have great respect for those that do, but it ain't my particular bag. Getting a cool engine tuned and running well and then listening to it sing as it flies by in a good looking plane is what scratches my itch. What does it for somebody else will likely be entirely different but that's okay by me. I think there's room enough at the flyin' field for all of us.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: charlie1960

I would think it takes a bit of skill and want to, to make a crappy ARF into a really decent plane.
juss sayin'.....

That's very true. I had to do a lot of work on the Tower Kaos 40 just to get it to assemble, but I also did my own things that I always do to any model. Some guys buy ARFs, strip off the covering, and go from there with a lot of stuff to do to it.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Rudolph Hart

Amen brother
Old 11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
reyn3545

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

Aeroworks is planning to re-introduce their ARF Stearman next spring, so I may wait until that starts shipping to put this motor where it belongs... until then, I might try to find a suitable Yak or Sukhoi or something just to tide me over.

I love the look of a kit-built plane, but I just don't have the skills and patience required to do it right. I'd rather have an ARF that's OK than a banana that I built!

The only way to obtain the skills and patience is to begin building airplanes and learn along the way. I wouldn't trust such an expensive engine to a Chinese ARF maker.

You own a Master's Class engine, yet you want to buy a beginners' class model, an ARF. Seldom can you have it both ways in life. You'd be better off with an OS .40LA powered trainer plane. At least that way none of the beginners at the field will mistake you for someone that knows what he is doing because you own an expensive radial engine. You'll find that few things grate the old timers nerves as much as the scene I have just described. We have all seen our share of credit card financed ''experts'' over the years.

I hope you find a happy solution.

Ed Cregger

Ed,

Sorry for the delayed response.. been traveling for a few days. I'm not a beginner trying to find a home for a radial. I've been flying for several years, moved to gas about 3 years ago, and now I'm trying to find a home for a deal that I found (the motor). I'm not a stranger to flying, I AM a stranger to building. The last kit I build was about 30 years ago when that was all that there was. Today, with travel, family obligations and everything else that takes priority, I just don't have the time to build. Neither do I have the skills that would be needed to build a plane as nice as I like.

There are some very nice ARF's out there, and if one were available that would suit both my flying and the motor size, I would buy and fly one without a second thought. A radial engine demands either an oepn cowl or at least a round cowl, and the size of the motor puts it in a "tweener" class between large glow planes and moderate giant scales. I don't want to put it in Yak or Sukhoi... it's not a 3D motor and would be a terrible style match. I've had several bipes, ranging from .46 class planes to a 42 pound Ultimate with a 170cc motor. I like bipes, and wanted to put this motor into another biplane. It's got enough torque and HP to drive a 1/4 scale Pitts well, and it would also be a good "style" fit on a 1/4 scale Stearman or Waco.

In the end.... I have decided to go with a kit build... 1/4 Scale Ziroli Stearman.... but I ain't building it. I'm going with a nationally known builder and paying well for the service, but what I get will be a sound, sturdy,straight flying plane that looks great. I would have been happy to buy an $800 ARF that looked good, but I'll also be happy with a $4000 plane that does that from a box of sticks.

All of us fly different types of planes for different reasons... I like a variety of planes and styles, but I just don't have the time or talent to build them. Some of my planes cost $200, one of them costs $9000... they are both great to fly! The $200 plane took about 5 minutes to configure right out of the box, and the $9000 one, pictured at the left, took probably a month in my spare time. To build the kit I've chosen would take me 2 years, and I wouldn't be happy with it when completed. I would have bought a cheaper ARF and enjoyed it, even though it may not have had the curb appeal of the Ziroli. I'm glad I made the choice that I did, and I know I'll have just as much fun with it as I do with my other planes.

PS.. speaking of OF's in Ringold... do you know Steve Smith by any chance?

Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Michaelh
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry to see that Jim Cline has passed . Wish his family the best and hope his wife can continue the operations .
Old 11-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Rudolph Hart

ORIGINAL: blw

ORIGINAL: charlie1960

I would think it takes a bit of skill and want to, to make a crappy ARF into a really decent plane.
juss sayin'.....

That's very true. I had to do a lot of work on the Tower Kaos 40 just to get it to assemble, but I also did my own things that I always do to any model. Some guys buy ARFs, strip off the covering, and go from there with a lot of stuff to do to it.
Blw and charlie i've just had a flying experience with a chinese arf kit that has me wondering.In a global positioning sense i live roughly opposite china and my extra 330 decided to take an unauthorised shortcut and go back home at full throttle today,japanese engine and taiwanese servo arms all heaving to the max.I did'nt know those countries all looked on each other so favourably

Problem is it drove my brand new 82a in and bent the craank about 1mm and the thrust washer too.Gave the intake manifold a bit of a caning too.Spare parts/fix it or new engine?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Reynolds, I hope to some day build a Bruce Tharpe Super Flyin King and power with a Saito 4.50. I already talked to Bruce about it and he said it would be a perfect match.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM
blw

Bruce Tharpe is a good guy to talk to, or swap email with. I told him about a nut case who had a Flying King down here with a Saito 80 on it. Bruce kept asking for more stories about this guy and how he punished the FK. Jim knows the nut job better than I do. The FK will do a lot and take a lot.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:29 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Careful now, I'm related to him. (unfortunately)
Old 11-15-2009, 12:30 PM
johnS555
My Feedback: (27)

Would that be (unfortunately) for him or you ?????
Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: NM2K

Aeroworks is planning to re-introduce their ARF Stearman next spring, so I may wait until that starts shipping to put this motor where it belongs... until then, I might try to find a suitable Yak or Sukhoi or something just to tide me over.

I love the look of a kit-built plane, but I just don't have the skills and patience required to do it right. I'd rather have an ARF that's OK than a banana that I built!

The only way to obtain the skills and patience is to begin building airplanes and learn along the way. I wouldn't trust such an expensive engine to a Chinese ARF maker.

You own a Master's Class engine, yet you want to buy a beginners' class model, an ARF. Seldom can you have it both ways in life. You'd be better off with an OS .40LA powered trainer plane. At least that way none of the beginners at the field will mistake you for someone that knows what he is doing because you own an expensive radial engine. You'll find that few things grate the old timers nerves as much as the scene I have just described. We have all seen our share of credit card financed ''experts'' over the years.

I hope you find a happy solution.

Ed Cregger

Ed,

Sorry for the delayed response.. been traveling for a few days. I'm not a beginner trying to find a home for a radial. I've been flying for several years, moved to gas about 3 years ago, and now I'm trying to find a home for a deal that I found (the motor). I'm not a stranger to flying, I AM a stranger to building. The last kit I build was about 30 years ago when that was all that there was. Today, with travel, family obligations and everything else that takes priority, I just don't have the time to build. Neither do I have the skills that would be needed to build a plane as nice as I like.

There are some very nice ARF's out there, and if one were available that would suit both my flying and the motor size, I would buy and fly one without a second thought. A radial engine demands either an oepn cowl or at least a round cowl, and the size of the motor puts it in a ''tweener'' class between large glow planes and moderate giant scales. I don't want to put it in Yak or Sukhoi... it's not a 3D motor and would be a terrible style match. I've had several bipes, ranging from .46 class planes to a 42 pound Ultimate with a 170cc motor. I like bipes, and wanted to put this motor into another biplane. It's got enough torque and HP to drive a 1/4 scale Pitts well, and it would also be a good ''style'' fit on a 1/4 scale Stearman or Waco.

In the end.... I have decided to go with a kit build... 1/4 Scale Ziroli Stearman.... but I ain't building it. I'm going with a nationally known builder and paying well for the service, but what I get will be a sound, sturdy,straight flying plane that looks great. I would have been happy to buy an $800 ARF that looked good, but I'll also be happy with a $4000 plane that does that from a box of sticks.

All of us fly different types of planes for different reasons... I like a variety of planes and styles, but I just don't have the time or talent to build them. Some of my planes cost $200, one of them costs $9000... they are both great to fly! The $200 plane took about 5 minutes to configure right out of the box, and the $9000 one, pictured at the left, took probably a month in my spare time. To build the kit I've chosen would take me 2 years, and I wouldn't be happy with it when completed. I would have bought a cheaper ARF and enjoyed it, even though it may not have had the curb appeal of the Ziroli. I'm glad I made the choice that I did, and I know I'll have just as much fun with it as I do with my other planes.

PS.. speaking of OF's in Ringold... do you know Steve Smith by any chance?

Everyone has their reasons for doing what they do and how they do it. I was having a bad day. My apologies to you and others that I may have offended.

I'm a transplant to the Ringgold, GA area and I haven't met many folks down here. I don't recall meeting a Steve Smith, though my physician is Bill Smith, MD.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM
reyn3545

There's a flying king at our field with a DA100 on it... plenty of power with the 100. I would guess the Saito 450 would fly it well also.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OF,

Sorry to hear about the beating that your 82a took. I have one of those engines too and I love mine.

with the shaft bent at 1mm, I would also be concerned about the crankcase. Was it bent as well? I know that some people will take the time to straighten a crankshaft but perhaps a new one would be a better idea as long as the crankcase is straight.

All these parts are available at horizonhobby.com though I see that the crankshft is back ordered. It costs about $50 US. The crankcase is about $27 US and is in stock. You will probably also need a gasket set (Horizon Hobby p/n SAI 82A32).

Do you have the engine manual so that you can pick out the parts? Just go to the Horizon Hobby sight and prefix the Saito part number with SAI in the Search box to find the price and availablility.

Considering the cost of a new engine, I would not have a problem repairing the old one as long as I've identified all the problems. Or, I could make you a ridiculously cheap offer for your broken engine and you could buy a new one

Hope that this helps,

Bob

Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 PM
blw

ORIGINAL: w8ye

Careful now, I'm related to him. (unfortunately)
No way......
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Rudolph Hart

You know when i read that i thought shoot i'll donate the engine if you pay postage.Rang the lhs and the crank will cost about a hundred bucks.There's a bearing place up the road that has all the goodies.Casing looks okay so will pull the engine apart this weekend and give it a good washdown to double check,the bent crankshaft is going to make the best paperweight i own and thanks for the kind words my friend.Cheers

Old 11-16-2009, 09:17 AM
spaceworm

There was a thread on RCU where somene would straighten a bent crank for free. Apparently he enjoyed the challenge. If you are interested, I will try to find the thread/contact. Please advise.
V/r,
Richard/SPACEWORM/SAITO Club #635
Old 11-16-2009, 11:12 AM
spaceworm

Search for "bent crankshafts" found this link:

http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....archwhere=both
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let us know how that engine turns out. I always feel pretty proud of bringing a dead one back to life again. THey seem to work better the second time around

Bob
Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
blw

For that low cost, I would just replace the crank since I would already have the engine apart.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: blw

For that low cost, I would just replace the crank since I would already have the engine apart.

Do you mean "Daves free crankshaft straighting"?

I wonder how many he has done since he posted that message way back when..............
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
reyn3545

OK.. an update to my previous update.

I found another new home for my 450. A Jim Pepino Waco. It was here on RCU, and for the money, I couldn't pass it up. The Stearman kit is still coming in, but I may let it sit for a while... So, if anyone wants a 1/4 scale Stearman full kit, wheels, struts, tail piece, wingtubes, plans, yadda, yadda, yadda... I know where they can pick it up cheap!

I think the Waco will be a better plane for me.. 4 ailerons, a little more wing area, a little less weight... oughta float right down if I can get it balanced.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks for the help guys.Have a three week wait till the crankshaft arrives.Will keep you posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.